Bogleheads: Please help me pick a new car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pranav

Re: Bogleheads: Please help me pick a new car

Post by Pranav »

+1 for Electric Car :happy
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
hightower

Post by hightower »

inbox788 wrote:Forgot to add RAV4, which I've seen a lot of new ones around lately and looking up sales figures seems to explain why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4#Sales
hightower wrote:You like acceleration? Go all electric. Lot's of savings on gas costs when you drive that much as well. The new Chevy Bolt is around 38k before the 7500k tax credit. It has great range and great acceleration. I drive a BMW i3 (the BEV version, all electric, not the range extender). Pricier, but I love it. It's surprisingly fast too. I find it hilarious when I effortlessly beat people off the line who aren't expecting it. Its really fun to drive.
Go for a tesla model s if you want to impress your friends with looks and crazy acceleration. All of the above come with tax savings and big time fuel savings if you drive a lot. I also feel they are cheaper to maintain because there are far fewer moving parts. I'm keeping tabs on my i3 to see if I'm right.
Are these available in 4WD/AWD? Tesla is the only one I know for sure is. I think they're bringing AWD to the Bolt, but haven't seen it available yet.
No the i3's are not AWD and I don't know if they plan on introducing that with the next model or not. I personally don't need AWD, but I could see needing it in snowy areas.
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

I am hearing very good things about Camry 2018 Hybrid.
May be a little wait.
I might consider the LE at 50 MPG!!! but you could upscale to the higher end, which are bit less MPG.
Hybrid is really reliable as you almost never need brakes etc.

PS- Toyota apparently planning a full-out sales ad blitz this Fall
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

I discovered that the safety technology I want (collision avoidance) is not on the low-end Lexus NT. Rather than buy a more expensive Lexus, I decided to purchase a top-of-the-line Honda CR-V for about $33K plus taxes. The car has all the features I want and is considered very reliable, which is important to me. I know it's not an exciting car, but that's OK. I like it! I think it will be a good car for my son in 3 years or so.

Thank you everyone for your counsel.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

fredflinstone wrote:I discovered that the safety technology I want (collision avoidance) is not on the low-end Lexus NT. Rather than buy a more expensive Lexus, I decided to purchase a top-of-the-line Honda CR-V for about $33K plus taxes. The car has all the features I want and is considered very reliable, which is important to me. I know it's not an exciting car, but that's OK. I like it! I think it will be a good car for my son in 3 years or so.

So you moved the hand-me-down up a year so you can buy the car you really want for yourself a year earlier? :D

I think that is a fine choice and will be a good fit for your son in three years. And you get to enjoy it until then :beer
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

fredflinstone wrote:I discovered that the safety technology I want (collision avoidance) is not on the low-end Lexus NT. Rather than buy a more expensive Lexus, I decided to purchase a top-of-the-line Honda CR-V for about $33K plus taxes. The car has all the features I want and is considered very reliable, which is important to me. I know it's not an exciting car, but that's OK. I like it! I think it will be a good car for my son in 3 years or so.

Love the choice! I love Hondas and their legendary reliability.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Lexus
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Will you consider the Subaru Outback? It's a great car.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

I'm sure you'll love it!

Audi: lease, because, well...it's German-engineered. :)

Subaru: can't recommend the automatic, since the 3rd-party CVT transmission they chose hasn't held up in US-style (higher annual mileage) driving.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I have no car advice, but loved your OP and the references to Wilma, Dinoburgers, dinosaurs, etc. I'm easily entertained - thank you!
crit

Post by crit »

Same here - I really enjoyed that post. Thanks for writing it. Hope you enjoy your new car.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Colorado13 wrote:I have no car advice, but loved your OP and the references to Wilma, Dinoburgers, dinosaurs, etc. I'm easily entertained - thank you!

That would get a consideration for post of the year! Cute post .
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

ncbill wrote:I'm sure you'll love it!

Subaru: can't recommend the automatic, since the 3rd-party CVT transmission they chose hasn't held up in US-style (higher annual mileage) driving.
I don't know where you get your information that the Subaru CVT hasn't held up. Looking at Truedelta.com for the last 7 model years, the percentage of transmission problems reported for Subaru Outbacks is well below the percentage of transmission problems reported for Honda CRV.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Solid choice! :)

Modern Hondas have a lot going for them:
- Lots of safety features
- 4 cylinder engines with no timing belt
- Excellent reliability
- Great resale value
- And last but not least .... somewhat better looking than Toyota and much better looking than Lexus! :mrgreen:
dbr

Post by dbr »

sunny_socal wrote:
- And last but not least .... somewhat better looking than Toyota and much better looking than Lexus! :mrgreen:
I forgot that. Current Lexus design is so freaking ugly you have to bring a barf bucket with you every time you go out to get in the car.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

dbr wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
I forgot that. Current Lexus design is so freaking ugly you have to bring a barf bucket with you every time you go out to get in the car.
I love toyota reliability. I hate the grills that are ob the fron of the cars. Look like Darth Vader.
Vanguard Fan 1367

dbr wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
:happy :happy :happy
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Will you consider the Subaru Outback? It's a great car.
No he won't, because in the OP's post at 8:53 on Friday, he said he decided on a Honda CR-V...
Attempted new signature...
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

For others thinking of getting a car, I was listening to Clark Howard and he said there is a glut of Lexus coming off lease and you could get one for the best price in years.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

mhalley wrote:For others thinking of getting a car, I was listening to Clark Howard and he said there is a glut of Lexus coming off lease and you could get one for the best price in years.
This was not my experience. The 3-year old Lexuses I saw were only a few thousand dollars cheaper than brand new ones.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Lexus RX is the car you want. Period.
Not the outback.
bhusa

Post by bhusa »

2017 AUDI A4, great driving car, however all the recent Audi's have changed seat design, it has stronger side support, that means more comfortable driving seat but more rigid side ridge in the car seat, for elderly person, it may cause problem when exiting the car. Both DW and I are 5 ft 7 inch tall , and it is uncomfortable to exit the car. So be sure to get in and out of the Audi cars a few times to see if it cause any inconvenience for you.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Your son is driving it in 4 years?
Ford Explorer.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

had an 09 Audi A4. Very fun to drive. Incredible in the snow. Like, still do 60 on the highway in a blizzard with confidence kinda performance.

Having said that, I was 23 and pulled over about 5 times. Not sure if still, but at the time it was 1 of the top 10 most pulled over cars in the US - which I saw on the news about a week after I got it.

I still remember my parents shaking their head when I drove it off the lot to their place ... then I got out and smelled burnt rubber and knew why they were shaking their head. *Never got a ticket, a lot of "is this your car?"
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

OP already bought a car: Honda CRV

/Thread
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

tcassette wrote:
ncbill wrote:I'm sure you'll love it!

I don't know where you get your information that the Subaru CVT hasn't held up. Looking at Truedelta.com for the last 7 model years, the percentage of transmission problems reported for Subaru Outbacks is well below the percentage of transmission problems reported for Honda CRV.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/201 ... -vehicles/
jdb

Post by jdb »

Get in line for a Tesla Model 3. Will need some patience. In four years your son will thank you.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

WhiteMaxima wrote:A Yota Camry LE I4 CVT, super easy drive and reliable. No need of AWD. Get self a set of snow tire.Mount them on a set of steel rim. 2017 model on sale now for $18000. 2018 model year is coming soon.
I agree with WhiteMaxima. 4 cylinder Camry is safe and rock solid reliable. If you want speed get the hybrid Camry. It has normal mode and eco mode. You use normal and then make your son use eco at least for a year - - in eco mode it performs like a regular 4 cyl Camry. In normal mode it seems to me as fast as a 6 cylinder. I would not get a fancier car than that as a first car gift to a child. The 2018 models have all kinds of built-in safety features and allegedly 25% improvements in fuel economy.

As WhiteMaxima suggests, the 2017s are on fire sale right now - - proven technology (not sure what mods were done to 2018 to get mileage boost).

Regarding Legacy sedan, researched it a year or so ago and it and Honda Odyssey were 2 vehicles with truly outstanding IIHS scores. The Odyssey is a tank - - look at the collision impact pictures from gov't tests and its roof strength is off the charts. My belief is that Lexus makes the most reliable cars with Toyota not far behind - - and Honda and Subaru are good but not up to Toyota brand for reliability. Subaru's eyesight system is a major plus.
For the dollars, the 2017 Camry is a screaming steal right now. For pure safety (with all the drunken, drug-addled, distracted, and crazies on the road today) the Odyssey is choice #1. As a compromise (an excellent one) between cost and safety a Legacy with Eyesight would be good choice.

Hate to nag or preach but do not give your son a fancy car! Hope this helps.
William4u

Post by William4u »

Beehave wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:A Yota Camry LE I4 CVT, super easy drive and reliable. No need of AWD. Get self a set of snow tire.Mount them on a set of steel rim. 2017 model on sale now for $18000. 2018 model year is coming soon.
I agree with WhiteMaxima. 4 cylinder Camry is safe and rock solid reliable. If you want speed get the hybrid Camry. It has normal mode and eco mode. You use normal and then make your son use eco at least for a year - - in eco mode it performs like a regular 4 cyl Camry. In normal mode it seems to me as fast as a 6 cylinder. I would not get a fancier car than that as a first car gift to a child. The 2018 models have all kinds of built-in safety features and allegedly 25% improvements in fuel economy.

As WhiteMaxima suggests, the 2017s are on fire sale right now - - proven technology (not sure what mods were done to 2018 to get mileage boost).

Regarding Legacy sedan, researched it a year or so ago and it and Honda Odyssey were 2 vehicles with truly outstanding IIHS scores. The Odyssey is a tank - - look at the collision impact pictures from gov't tests and its roof strength is off the charts. My belief is that Lexus makes the most reliable cars with Toyota not far behind - - and Honda and Subaru are good but not up to Toyota brand for reliability. Subaru's eyesight system is a major plus.
For the dollars, the 2017 Camry is a screaming steal right now. For pure safety (with all the drunken, drug-addled, distracted, and crazies on the road today) the Odyssey is choice #1. As a compromise (an excellent one) between cost and safety a Legacy with Eyesight would be good choice.

Hate to nag or preach but do not give your son a fancy car! Hope this helps.
I concur that the 2017 Camry is on a fire sale now. Crazy low prices. We just bought a new car, and almost got the Camry.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Lexus or Toyota. Both will last forever.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
srt7

Post by srt7 »

fredflinstone wrote:OK, guys, I asked you for some advice 7 years ago and you told me to get an Acura MDX. I did so and it has been a great car. 116,000 miles so far with no problems whatsoever. My daughter Pebbles turned 16 this week and I gave her the car for her birthday. So now I need a new car.

Background:
I drive about 15,000 miles per year. In the past I've owned cars for about 8 years before getting a new one. The car I plan to buy now will likely be handed down to my son in about 4 years. I don't require a lot of bells and whistles, but I'm not going to lie -- I have nothing against a car that looks good and can accelerate.

The requirements:
Reliability, reliability, and reliability (if Wilma needs me to get some Dinoburgers, I can't be late)
AWD (Bedrock is icy and snowy in the wintertime)
Brake assist technology (in case any dinosaurs suddenly run into the street)
Smaller than the Acura MDX (now that Pebbles can drive herself around, we no longer need a mid-sized car)

The finances:
Wilma and I have $4 million+ in assets. We own our home outright. We have no debt. We have a very comfortable income.

New vs. used:
I considered buying a used late-model car, such as a CPO, but found that the savings are rather small -- generally on the order of 10 percent or so. It seems to me that it is a better value proposition to buy a new car.

The candidates so far:

Subaru Legacy sedan. It's relatively inexpensive and has everything I need. But Consumer Reports said, "Subaru dropped out of the top 10 reliable brands because of multiple problems in the Legacy sedan." http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reli ... rvey-2016/ I don't mean to be flippant, but buying this car would "live within your means" to an extreme. Price: About $31,000 plus tax.

Lexus NX. This is a reliable compact SUV that would probably run for 200,000 miles or more. It's sort of like a small version of the Acura MDX that I have liked so much.

Audi A4. This is a sporty car that I didn't expect to consider, but according to Consumer Reports, it is very reliable -- even more so than Hondas, which I find hard to believe. Anyway, it's a nice car and it's fun to drive. Price: About $46,000 plus tax. But will it spend a lot of time in the shop? To what extent should I care if the car is covered under an extended warranty?

Which one should I buy? Are there other cars I should be considering? Thank you in advance for your help!
Considering your requirements (current and in the near future) I would take the Audi off the list. For one thing it isn't the first brand that comes to mind when you think reliability (don't care what any report says because performance and reliability simply cannot go hand in hand). Secondly, when a 16 year old starts off with an Audi where does he go from there?

I would also take off the NX from your list. But this one is totally subjective as I think that it's not something that a 16 year old boy would appreciate driving. But if you really want to get yourself a Lexus (for reliability etc.) then go with the Lexus IS line. Although, I am not sure if they come with AWD.

I don't know anything about Subarus.

But as someone mentioned above ... why not get something for yourself now and get something else that suits your kid later.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

OP already bought a car....