Google Fi? pros/cons? anyone using it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FrugalInvestor

Re: Google Fi? pros/cons? anyone using it?

Post by FrugalInvestor »

My wife has had Fi for a few months and spends about $23/month. She was a little nervous about the switch from her iPhone to the 5x and away from Verizon at first. There are certainly tradeoffs but she is pleased overall and has really warmed up to the 5x. The coverage has more blank spots than Verizon but has definitely been adequate. We live on the fringes of a metro area so when we go into town coverage is excellent. When we go into a more rural area it can be spotty but there always seems to be good coverage in populated areas. For this reason I've kept my $80/yr plan (very light user) on a Verizon MVNO. When we travel this helps fill any blanks that may be important but is primarily just for peace of mind.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

For domestic it is fine (I was on T-Mo before so for me, coverage remains fine). Internationally it is excellent. I never swap sims anymore and have very usable speeds in every country I visit immediately upon landing. Couldn't be better. I wouldn't have it if I didn't travel internationally however. That's the prime benefit imo.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

SRenaeP wrote:
munemaker wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:I tried Google Fi for a while but didn't like it. I also don't like the Nexus 5x but am somewhat making myself pay penance by waiting to get another phone. Unless you frequently travel internationally to numerous countries, I don't think the international capabilities are worth the hassle. I went back to AT&T which isn't much more than I paid with Fi and will just stick to buying local SIM cards for my 2 international trips per year.

-Steph
What didn't you like about the 5x?

I like the monthly updates and lack of bloatware. The camera is really good and people comment favorably on my photos. The sound is not as good as some other phones, and I did have one go bad with some sort of boot failure. They sent me a brand new replacement, not a refurbished.

Also confused about your comments about whether Fi international capabilities are worth the hassle? International capabilities are no hassle; they just work. Buying local SIM cards seems like the hassle. What am I missing?
I meant the only good thing about Fi is the international capabilities and even that wasn't completely seamless. That said, I would rather buy local SIM cards than deal with Fi. Here are some posts I made not long after I got the Nexus 5x/Google Fi.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194470#p2967648

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193169#p2947411

-Steph
Thanks for the reply.

I never had the problem you did of not connecting to wi-fi networks automatically. It always connects at home and at work (before I retired). I occasionally experience battery life issues, but I often have it plugged in in the car or at home, so it is seldom an issue. I can see how it might be an inconvenience for some.

I agree completely that the sound is not the greatest, but that is the 5X phone and not the LTE network. I know this because I answer calls on my Chromebook when I am home, and the sound quality is excellent. In any event, it is not bad enough that I would switch phones or networks over it.
bonustreats

Post by bonustreats »

I tried Fi for 3 months last year. Most of my gripes (lack of service in areas that I care about, $10/GB is pretty expensive, etc.) have been covered by others. I never got a chance to try the international coverage, but that would definitely be a bonus to me.

Two things gave me pause:
1. if I were to switch to Fi completely, my Google Voice number would have to become my current number, or I would lose it. That loss of flexibility would be tough to swallow.
2. Google tends to be scatterbrained regarding their "Projects." I like and use their services just about everyday, but the possibility of them closing this up is most definitely not 0. If you're sitting on a current cell phone plan that you're worried you may lose forever, I might hold onto it until Google takes Fi out of Project status.