Google Fi? pros/cons? anyone using it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

Google Fi? pros/cons? anyone using it?

Post by F150HD »

Anyone using Google Fi? any reviews? pros/cons?

https://fi.google.com/signup

Thanks.
_
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
avalpert

Re: Google Fi? pros/cons? anyone using it?

Post by avalpert »

I have it and it has been very good for me. The biggest con is for people who don't manage their data use and do things like streaming videos, uploading pictures etc. regularly on network. Since I spend most of my day connected to WiFi, I don't need to do intensive stuff on network and end up averaging less than $30/month.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

I am a fan of wifi calling and currently use Republic Wireless. My wife has Fi and it has been an enormous benefit when we travel internationally. Fi has service in most countries and the rates are good. I am switching to Fi next week, just waiting on my Pixel to arrive.
jbran99

Post by jbran99 »

The best parallel I've drawn is a comparison to Blockbuster (et. al) policies back-in-the-day. The video stores wouldn't reduce prices on a per-rental basis. Instead, they keep offering longer rental periods (3-day --> 5-day --> 7-day). For me, a longer rental period provided very little value (I rented a movie with an intent to watch that night or maybe the next). Similarly, for some users (my wife included), ever growing data limits (1GB --> 2GB --> 4GB, etc.) provide very little value; I'd rather pay less each month than get more data I likely won't use anyway. Google FI's pay-for-what-you-use approach fits for her because she's almost always on wi-fi. When she's not on wi-fi, she isn't doing things like streaming video/music that chews up data. She very rarely goes over the 1GB she signed up for, so she receives a decent refund/credit most months.

Other pros:
- Seamless Int'l usage. We traveled to Norway last summer and the phone worked perfectly at essentially the same rates as normal.

Cons:
- Her Nexus 5X phone isn't the absolute top-of-the-line, but it works.
- MMS message receiving/sending can be a bit inconsistent. No problems for months at a time, then seemingly a spate of delayed or not received messages with no apparent common factor (e.g. some messages to/from a given recipient - usually me - are fine, but others are delayed or never get there).

All-in-all, I recommend it for folks who see very little value in paying for GB of data that they rarely use.
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

I've had Google FI for almost 2 yrs, I very happy with service. If you use a lot of data this isn't the plan for you. But I spend almost all day on wifi between work and home. In March I went to Germany and used my phone for everything just like here with no real change, there was a change per minute for calls but only made three short calls end up costing .50 or so. I added data for the trip but ended up not needed it. My wife and I are on the share plan with 3GB data, we have never gone over. Our average for two lines and 3GB data ends up being $51-$54 each month after credit back for unused data.
"Gonna Make It"
pochax

Post by pochax »

the biggest issues i would forsee:
1) you limited to use only google phones (notice i didn't say android): Nexus 5x, Nexus 6P, and Pixel (regular and XL)
2) i think it is primarily T-mobile and Sprint coverage (so if you are not getting good coverage by both providers, you may not get decent coverage)
3) not great for heavy (5GB+) monthly data users
other than that, i think it is a great plan.

<disclaimer: i don't have it right now, but i have a nexus 6P so i have thought about switching over when my youngest child needs to add her phone to our family plan and bump one of us off>
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Have been using it for over a year with Nexus 6P. Loving it. If you decide to go with Project Fi, go through a referral. you'll get $20 off of your first bill.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I've been thinking about switching and buying the Pixel phone. Is anyone aware of any trade-in deals or other deals available on the Pixel? I have a perfectly good Note 4 phone ; I'm looking for some kind of deal to make the switch.
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

Another happy Project Fi customer - had it over a year and service is good and low cost. We don't use a lot of data though - on wifi most of the time.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Hayden wrote:I've been thinking about switching and buying the Pixel phone. Is anyone aware of any trade-in deals or other deals available on the Pixel? I have a perfectly good Note 4 phone ; I'm looking for some kind of deal to make the switch.
This is a point where I'm stuck on any switch to any carrier. I have the Note 3 and the stylus has been immensely helpful when editing/sending pictures (to a business or whatnot) and giving that up is tough.
ryoung

Post by ryoung »

I use it, the coverage just isn't as good as Verizon/AT&T. I live "in the loop" in Houston, and I drop calls along my work/home route. You would think this is a highly covered area... But all-in-all I like it. It's great that if you need customer service (I never do), that you can talk to them in a google chat window pretty much immediately (or call if you want).

Speaking of a deal, I think right now if you buy a Pixel you get a free Google Home.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't use a ton of data so will give Fi some more thought.

From what I'm reading, some people are using 20+ GB on their phones a month? has me wondering what folks are doing on their phones (watching Youtube all day?)

That said, I don't use a ton of data but so many of the major carriers 'deals' on plans are really misleading until you read fine print.
Example: some say unlimited talk and text but this typically doesn't include calls to landlines (a business, hospital etc). One has to pay extra for those calls. Sprint for example, their Unlimited Freedom plan doesn't mention this tidbit (pretty important to me personally).
MangoManiac

Post by MangoManiac »

We've had 2 lines with Fi for about 6 months. Price varies a little due to more data usage, but usually $50 - $65 (includes fees and taxes). We each stay under 1GB and use Wifi when at home. Haven't had any issues with it, typically get good coverage around the city. One pro is that I got free data-only SIMs and plan to use that while overseas to have data in a non-Fi approved phone.

Only con, and it's been mentioned already, is the phone lineup is pretty limited. We have two 5x's that we got when they were on sale for $250. If one of them were to break, I don't know if I could stomach $600+ for a new Pixel.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

In addition to what others have said, I made the switch as a long-time iPhone user. I actually prefer the Pixel XL's features, controls, and settings. It was easy to switch. Wife is going to switch from her iPhone towards end of the year and will join me on the new group plan. My bill is around $28/month, with heavy WiFi use and use of "data saver" mode when driving, motorcycling, biking, paragliding, etc.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Arguably the best feature of Project Fi that makes it unbeatable for some use cases are their free "data-only" SIMs. Those are essentially free lines of service that do not require Fi-compatible phone and do not incur monthly charges beyond consuming data from the primary line's data bucket.
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195?hl=en

Coupled with hand-me-down phones this is a perfect solution to provide our kids with essentially free cell phone service. When away from us, they spend most of their time in WiFi areas (home, school, camp, etc), so their mobile data use is minimal - and with Google Location sharing we get to know where they are at any given time.

The only thing they can not do with that data-only SIM is place a phone call via regular mobile phone network. With Google Hangouts and free Google Voice number this is not a serious limitation, as you can use data network to make calls even to regular numbers. Data calls are free over WiFi and cost about a penny a minute in data charges when done over mobile data network. Voice quality is excellent either way. But who really uses their phones to make calls these days anyway?:)
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

F150HD wrote:Anyone using Google Fi? any reviews? pros/cons?

Thanks.
_
Sprint and T-Mobile in my area are top competitors for worst service. I can't imagine a combination of the networks would be great. I tried Sprint when they offered to 1/2 my bill... Every morning, I would get a barrage of notifications on the way to work that I somehow missed overnight. I did not stay with Sprint.

Verizon is a good enough value for me.
gatz

Post by gatz »

Is there any way around the $650 or $27/mo entry cost of buying a Pixel phone?
ridebikeseveryday

Post by ridebikeseveryday »

gatz wrote:Is there any way around the $650 or $27/mo entry cost of buying a Pixel phone?
Buy a used 5X or 6P on ebay, they'll let you bring your own.
c1over8

Post by c1over8 »

Spouse has project fi. I have a major carrier. Spouse restricts data usage when not on wifi, not a huge inconvenience since we can use my phone for navigation or he can download areas on google maps on wifi before leaving. Half the time spouse sends me at text, I receive it two or three times but spouse's phone shows it was only sent once. Project fi worked great when we were traveling in Europe.

The reason I wouldn't have it (other than temporary switches to it when traveling abroad) is that I used spouse's phone to call customer service in an airport to rebook plane tickets after our flights were canceled. The reason I didn't use my major carrier phone was that I had already looked up flight information on my phone and was going to read off what I wanted to customer service so we didn't waste time with them trying to find another suitable flight. I was on the phone at least 15 minutes and before the agent could confirm our new reservations for same day flights, the call dropped. When I called back on my major carrier phone, they couldn't continue the reservation I had been in the process of making and all other flights had been booked. We had to wait until the next day for a flight and instead of our direct flight we had a horrible flight with long layover starting at 3 am. I'm scarred from this experience and wouldn't want to risk another important call dropping while using project fi. I've never had any problem with calls dropping while on my major carrier, although I'm sure others could come up with examples. YMMV
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

pochax wrote:the biggest issues i would forsee:
2) i think it is primarily T-mobile and Sprint coverage (so if you are not getting good coverage by both providers, you may not get decent coverage)
I think you should say "either of the two providers" rather than "both providers". One of the features of Fi is that the phones can use either network and the phone should select whichever one is stronger at your location.

I have Cricket 5 lines myself, but if I didn't have kids/parents on my plan I'd give Fi a try as I don't use lots of data. And I have a nexus 5x.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Google Fi uses the following carrier networks:
- Sprint
- T Mobile
- US Cellular

We have had it for a year now, both with Nexus 5x devices and are very happy. FWIW, Google phones get new Android updates as soon as they are developed. Other carriers using other Android devices can be behind 6-12 months. Security updates come out monthly. If you're not a data heavy user, it's a good service and Google phones are pretty good.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
modollahs

Post by modollahs »

I switched from Verizon over a year ago and my bill is usually a little over $30.

Coverage seems not quite as good - doesn't matter to me at home because I'm on WIFI.

I agree with all the other positive comments about the service. I love the fact that you only pay for the data you use.

One of the big advantages for me is international service. I have used it successfully in Norway, Germany, Peru, Argentina, and Panama while paying the same local data rate as the US.

I'm still paying for 4 lines on Verizon because I can't pry the iPhone away from the rest of my family.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

blaugranamd wrote:Google Fi uses the following carrier networks:
- Sprint
- T Mobile
- US Cellular
If you install the Phono app, you'll see an icon with the network you're currently using that changes as you move about. On the east coast, US Cellular roams to AT&T, so my phone spends time on T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T in roughly that order.

If you spend time someplace that has WiFi signal but not cellular (like the inside of a building), Fi will happily route your calls over WiFi. If you use Google Hangouts, you can also receive phone calls to your cell number on your computer.

I'm a happy Fi customer on my $250 Nexus 5x, but also a bit worried about what'll happen when I eventually need to replace the phone and Google's frightfully expensive phones may be the only ones available.

-Marylander1
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

It's particularly useful for international travel. Saying that, it worked great for me in Japan, but less so for two European trips. It worked, but it keep losing the network, giving a "No Service" error. I could force it to look for a network, which always solved the problem, but took a few minutes to fix.

You can get some feel for the problems people are having by looking at the Reddit board.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/
One post mentions a free Google Home device with phone purchase, also here -
https://twitter.com/projectfi/status/876847790193688576
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Marylander1 wrote:
blaugranamd wrote:Google Fi uses the following carrier networks:
- Sprint
- T Mobile
- US Cellular
If you install the Phono app, you'll see an icon with the network you're currently using that changes as you move about. On the east coast, US Cellular roams to AT&T, so my phone spends time on T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T in roughly that order.

If you spend time someplace that has WiFi signal but not cellular (like the inside of a building), Fi will happily route your calls over WiFi. If you use Google Hangouts, you can also receive phone calls to your cell number on your computer.

I'm a happy Fi customer on my $250 Nexus 5x, but also a bit worried about what'll happen when I eventually need to replace the phone and Google's frightfully expensive phones may be the only ones available.

-Marylander1
Same thing I will do: shop for the best option in cellphones and service at the time. Hopefully Google will bring back some lower priced entries if they're serious about keeping Google Fi viable. If it's only on Google-made devices and the Pixel/Pixel XL are the only options at $650+, the service will die rapidly. That or they'll need to start offering big discounts to Fi subscribers. Personally, part of why I switched was I realized I didn't need a flagship phone for what I use my phone for. A very functional and best security phone would suffice.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Google Fi is awesome. Get it.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
J295

Post by J295 »

Great, especially for international use.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Thanks for all the input.

Its to the point where there are so many companies, so many plans so many 'deals' (with hidden fine print).....seems like it used to be much simpler to get a phone and a plan.

And, "Buying" a phone for $400+ is absurd (to me) but is about where it leaves most of us every few years. If a tablet can be had for $100-200 why is a phone 4x that? Its kinda just a smaller tablet. Sure, you could argue the circuits are smaller etc, more R&D to make it (?) Still....
_
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

F150HD wrote:Thanks for all the input.

Its to the point where there are so many companies, so many plans so many 'deals' (with hidden fine print).....seems like it used to be much simpler to get a phone and a plan.

And, "Buying" a phone for $400+ is absurd (to me) but is about where it leaves most of us every few years. If a tablet can be had for $100-200 why is a phone 4x that? Its kinda just a smaller tablet. Sure, you could argue the circuits are smaller etc, more R&D to make it (?) Still....
_
Agree - the way I get this price down to a "reasonable" level with both phones and DSLR cameras is to buy both that are a couple of model years older than the newest model. So for example, I have a new Samsung S5 that I paid $250 for and use it on Pageplus (Verizon MVNO).
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Copper John wrote:Agree - the way I get this price down to a "reasonable" level with both phones and DSLR cameras is to buy both that are a couple of model years older than the newest model
Have always done the same too. Buy a model 2-3 generations back, it works great and the price is drastically lower. Seems some (younger generation?) always needs the latest/greatest and is willing to pay a premium dollar for it.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I'm a Google Fi user and am very happy with it.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
vmsx

Post by vmsx »

I switched from Project Fi to Republic Wireless as 1GB is cheaper ($23 with tax). I don't use international service.

I don't think Fi is an especially good deal now unless you can benefit from the international service or you need excellent tech support. You're also highly restricted in phone choices. If you use more than 100MB of cell data a month, there are cheaper options, and this is especially true if you use several GB a month. Metropcs (T-Mobile native) is $30/mo for 2GB with all taxes included and Cricket Wireless (AT&t native) is $35 for 4GB with all taxes included.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Jeff Albertson wrote:It's particularly useful for international travel. Saying that, it worked great for me in Japan, but less so for two European trips. It worked, but it keep losing the network, giving a "No Service" error. I could force it to look for a network, which always solved the problem, but took a few minutes to fix.
I think it's the best there is for international travel. I recently went on a cruise that touched England, Norway, Germany, Estonia, Poland, Russia, Denmark, Finland and Sweden. It worked flawlessly the whole trip while sightseeing and in port. Of course not so much while out at sea when out of range of cell towers.

If you don't need international service you have many more options in the choice of phone and may be able to find better local coverage and pricing.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I tried Google Fi for a while but didn't like it. I also don't like the Nexus 5x but am somewhat making myself pay penance by waiting to get another phone. Unless you frequently travel internationally to numerous countries, I don't think the international capabilities are worth the hassle. I went back to AT&T which isn't much more than I paid with Fi and will just stick to buying local SIM cards for my 2 international trips per year.

-Steph
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

kjvmartin wrote:
F150HD wrote:Anyone using Google Fi? any reviews? pros/cons?

Thanks.
_
Sprint and T-Mobile in my area are top competitors for worst service. I can't imagine a combination of the networks would be great. I tried Sprint when they offered to 1/2 my bill... Every morning, I would get a barrage of notifications on the way to work that I somehow missed overnight. I did not stay with Sprint.

Verizon is a good enough value for me.
FI now includes US Cellular, FYI
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Many MVNOs, including Google Fi, have issues with short SMS (such as for two factor authentication).
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I have used Project Fi for about a year. It works well for me. I really like it.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

SRenaeP wrote:I tried Google Fi for a while but didn't like it. I also don't like the Nexus 5x but am somewhat making myself pay penance by waiting to get another phone. Unless you frequently travel internationally to numerous countries, I don't think the international capabilities are worth the hassle. I went back to AT&T which isn't much more than I paid with Fi and will just stick to buying local SIM cards for my 2 international trips per year.

-Steph
What didn't you like about the 5x?

I like the monthly updates and lack of bloatware. The camera is really good and people comment favorably on my photos. The sound is not as good as some other phones, and I did have one go bad with some sort of boot failure. They sent me a brand new replacement, not a refurbished.

Also confused about your comments about whether Fi international capabilities are worth the hassle? International capabilities are no hassle; they just work. Buying local SIM cards seems like the hassle. What am I missing?
Last edited by munemaker on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Just returned from overseas. My Fi worked flawlessly, data and calls anywhere.
Calls and data were free when on wifi. I did not have to contact anyone to unlock a phone
or to add an international plan, it just worked. There is a lot of value in things "just working".

I normally only have a bill of between $20 and $25/month, because I am typically on wifi.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I used Fi for a few months earlier this year with a Nexus 5X. I liked most everything about it except that the voice sound quality was frequently very poor, I think when is was using the Sprint network. I've seen this problem reported before. FYI, Fi can be used on an iPhone (T-Mobile network only) with a work-around.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

TIAX wrote:Many MVNOs, including Google Fi, have issues with short SMS (such as for two factor authentication).
I've never had an issue with SMS two-factor from Vanguard. Always shows up seconds after I log in. YMMV
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

blaugranamd wrote:
TIAX wrote:Many MVNOs, including Google Fi, have issues with short SMS (such as for two factor authentication).
I've never had an issue with SMS two-factor from Vanguard. Always shows up seconds after I log in. YMMV
Same here. I frequently use 2FA and never had a problem...not even once. Not sure where that came from?
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

munemaker wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:I tried Google Fi for a while but didn't like it. I also don't like the Nexus 5x but am somewhat making myself pay penance by waiting to get another phone. Unless you frequently travel internationally to numerous countries, I don't think the international capabilities are worth the hassle. I went back to AT&T which isn't much more than I paid with Fi and will just stick to buying local SIM cards for my 2 international trips per year.

-Steph
What didn't you like about the 5x?

I like the monthly updates and lack of bloatware. The camera is really good and people comment favorably on my photos. The sound is not as good as some other phones, and I did have one go bad with some sort of boot failure. They sent me a brand new replacement, not a refurbished.

Also confused about your comments about whether Fi international capabilities are worth the hassle? International capabilities are no hassle; they just work. Buying local SIM cards seems like the hassle. What am I missing?
I meant the only good thing about Fi is the international capabilities and even that wasn't completely seamless. That said, I would rather buy local SIM cards than deal with Fi. Here are some posts I made not long after I got the Nexus 5x/Google Fi.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194470#p2967648

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193169#p2947411

-Steph
davidlhanson

Post by davidlhanson »

Pros -
1. Good for people who travel internationally to countries where Project FI has international service.
2. Good for people who live in rural areas where the combination of several cellular networks improves service. My sister and her adult children in rural SW Wisconsin have found Project FI better for them than one network.

Cons:

1. Too expensive - even if you use no data it is still to expensive. MintSim, an MVNO which used the T-Mobile network, costs less than Project FI with no data usage (less than $20 if you prepay MintSim for one year).

2. As others have mentioned, MUCH too expensive if you use hardly any LTE data. I have 10GB LTE data with MintSim for $27 per month (prepaid for one year). Project FI is $30 for only 1 GB.

I had both a Nexus 5X (bought new) and a Nexus 6P (bought used). I prefer the 6P.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

munemaker wrote:
blaugranamd wrote:
Same here. I frequently use 2FA and never had a problem...not even once. Not sure where that came from?
The issue isn't unique to Google Fi. Many MVNOs have this issue
(apparently affecting random customers).
keaton

Post by keaton »

Google fi is way to expensive and limited for my taste. I pay $40 flat for unlimited t-mobile with ANY phone. Theres no reason to pay for Googles very limited tax burdened service...

Add to that, international text and data is amazing... with tethering! It's my only source of interwebs.
ToastCrunchToast

Post by ToastCrunchToast »

There are a lot of people here responding that don't actually subscribe to Google FI, which gets my spidey sense tingling.

Anyhow, I have Google FI, and the pros for me outweigh the cons. It depends on your situation, though, and on what is important to you. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but here goes:

Pros:
* International service is amazing.
* The coverage is incredible. Anyone telling you that any other single carrier like Verizon or AT&T has better coverage than Fi's network switching is subscribed to one of those other services and will defend their choice to the death, because ego.
* WiFi calling alone saves me a ton on minutes over most other plans.
* Customer service is superb. If you have a problem and call, you will get someone in the U.S. who very much cares about what they do, not some random call center employee reading a script from some third world nation (god bless them).

Cons:
* You do have to buy a specific phone, the Google Pixel or the Nexus 5X. Only the latter is affordable (at $299 IIRC). The Pixel is twice that.
* The Nexus 5X battery life is abysmal. I mitigate this with a portable charger, but it's really a problem.
* If you use more than a GB of data per month over cellular then Fi gets expensive. If you're a heavy data user that can't get most of your data off WiFi, then Google Fi may not be for you.

Good fortune to you!
keaton

Post by keaton »

Same with my service, great international, wifi calling and so forth. Yes if I used less then 1GB and I wanted to be stuck with an android, I wouldn't have an issue with Fi.

I pay ONLY for this service, so no need for home wifi.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

I have Google Fi and love it although I am a frequent international traveler and also lean on the free hotspot feature. If you don't need either cheap roaming or a hotspot without paying extra then maybe Fi is no longer such a great deal. I also rely on the extra device free SIM piggybacking on main data bonus feature although that wouldn't keep me on Fi if it wasn't for the other benefits (given drawback of not being able to use any Android phone I choose).

I recommend, for now, a Nexus 6. Very old phone but that means you can buy for $199 used. And it is still competitive in terms of screen resolution and CPU performance. I lost mine recently and the used replacement surprisingly has much better battery life than mine did (albeit still not great). When Pixel 2 comes out then Pixel will be discounted and Pixel 2 may be attractive enough to buy.
cholan

Post by cholan »

I have an iphone with verizon service (my employer) and Pixel phone with google fi.
i travel 4 times a year overseas. Google Fi -voice and date work seamslessly as if you are in the US. When i return home I pause the google fi service and restart it when i travel again. That is about 4 months of service in one year. (last year costs were about 160 dollars). Worth it for me!
...leaving not a rack behind.