radon test kit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
math22

radon test kit

Post by math22 »

Does anyone know of a reliable radon test kit or radon monitor?
William4u

Re: radon test kit

Post by William4u »

A quick 10 day test...
https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-RD1- ... 00002N83E/

A more accurate 6 month test...
https://www.amazon.com/Accustar-Alpha-T ... 001I8A0ZS/

They work well.
Topic Author
math22

Post by math22 »

William4u wrote:A quick 10 day test...

They work well.
Thank you. May I ask how do you know they work well?
William4u

Post by William4u »

math22 wrote:
William4u wrote:A quick 10 day test...

They work well.
Thank you. May I ask how do you know they work well?
Consumer Reports liked the kits. My whole family used them and found consistent results over time. Lots of amazon reviews too.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I recently performed the shorter test bought thru Amazon linked above and it tested high in my basement. Did a repeat and it gave similar result. In discussion with Radon mitigation company they said that these sort of tests are accurate.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Short term tests are "accurate" in what they measure, unfortunately the levels vary a lot over time so a long term test or a meter is a far better way to measure it. We had a short term test at 2.2 in December and few months later, the following May, a short term test at 15.6.

Here's another example of the variability: http://employees.csbsju.edu/dsteck/mnra ... r_time.htm

You might be able to get test kits from your local government. My county sells both short and long term kits, some others provide a free test kit.

Post-mitigation, I decided I would rather have a meter than rely on periodic testing with kits to verify that the system is working. There were two meters on the market, I bought the cheaper one and I reset it and ran it next to the charcoal canister and it was reading exactly 0.5 when the 3 day test was ended this was the same result the test kit gave.

Corentium meter is about $200, the one I bought was and is $130 through homedepot.com (which I used for ease of returning in case the unit was inaccurate), it's this one:

(Don't be fooled by a very similar looking meter that is about 1/2 the price that turns up in searches even though it does not measure radon, but instead measures Carbon Monoxide, Methane, and Propane)
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

jeffyscott wrote:...the one I bought was and is $130 through homedepot.com (which I used for ease of returning in case the unit was inaccurate), it's this one:
I have used the Safety Siren to monitor our finished walk-out basement living space for many years and it has always worked fine. I bought ours at Amazon. It gives a consistent year-round reading, a little higher in the winter when everything is closed up and a little lower in the summer when windows are open. It gives a short-term and a long-term average reading. The long-term average runs about 1.8. The short-term reading varies from .9 to 2.5, but it is usually in the range of 1.6 to 2.0. Based on these readings I have not done any mitigation measures.
queso

Post by queso »

fourwheelcycle wrote:
jeffyscott wrote:...the one I bought was and is $130 through homedepot.com (which I used for ease of returning in case the unit was inaccurate), it's this one:
I have used the Safety Siren to monitor our finished walk-out basement living space for many years and it has always worked fine. I bought ours at Amazon. It gives a consistent year-round reading, a little higher in the winter when everything is closed up and a little lower in the summer when windows are open. It gives a short-term and a long-term average reading. The long-term average runs about 1.8. The short-term reading varies from .9 to 2.5, but it is usually in the range of 1.6 to 2.0. Based on these readings I have not done any mitigation measures.
We have the same one and it ranges from 0.8 or so up to the low 3s, but our long term average is about the same as yours. I ordered one of the long term test kits mentioned above to check the accuracy since we've had the Safety Siren unit for years and there is some chatter out there about needing to be sent back and recalibrated every now and then. Once we finish the long term test kit and get the results I'll post the results and compare the accuracy to the Safety Siren monitor. Like you, we have not done any mitigation since it is sub 4 and used mostly as a TV/play room (nobody sleeps down there).
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I read about the calibration issue before buying. Some promoted the Correntium unit as being cheaper overall with recalibration costs.

But official recalibration is only required for professional use. Like you plan to do, I figured if I felt it was needed, I would check it myself. A short term test is only about $15 including postage and long term about $5 more.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

http://sosradon.org/test-kits

The National Radon Program Services at Kansas State University (K-State) has test kits available to purchase online.
* Short term test kits (3-4 days) are $15, which includes all costs.
* Long term test kits (3-12 months) are $25, which includes all costs.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett
c078342

Post by c078342 »

If you are selling and need a radon test: ventilate your basement to the extent possible. Open windows and hatch ways. Radon risk for most from exposure to 4 pCi/L (action level) is about the same as croaking in an auto crash, a risk most of us take daily. Doesn't seem to be much recent cost effectiveness benefit analysis of remediation. Probably, in my opinion, because it costs more that it benefits. My particular complaint: we live in a 55+ community where the average age now is probably around 68 - 70. Doesn't make much sense to me to make sellers remediate radon for a buyer for a short period of time.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

c078342 wrote:If you are selling and need a radon test: ventilate your basement to the extent possible. Open windows and hatch ways. Radon risk for most from exposure to 4 pCi/L (action level) is about the same as croaking in an auto crash, a risk most of us take daily. Doesn't seem to be much recent cost effectiveness benefit analysis of remediation. Probably, in my opinion, because it costs more that it benefits. My particular complaint: we live in a 55+ community where the average age now is probably around 68 - 70. Doesn't make much sense to me to make sellers remediate radon for a buyer for a short period of time.
Seems pretty dishonest behavior to me.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Radon risk is highly synergistic with cigarette smoking. Even small amounts of radon increase smoker's risk of getting lung cancer a significant amount, while large amounts of radon increase non-smoker's risk by a minute amount.

I would only worry about it if I was a smoker.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

math22 wrote:Does anyone know of a reliable radon test kit or radon monitor?
https://www.rtca.com/

Best I've found and prices are reasonable ($23 each). Based in NY state. Same test the home inspectors use.

If you're in NJ you need a special kit.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

c078342 wrote:
Nate79 wrote: Seems pretty dishonest behavior to me.
Pullease! Show me mortality statistics for healthy people (non-smokers).
I'd call it fraud.

Your stat of being equivalent to chance of dying in a car accident is based only on the minimum action level of 4. At 10 which is very easily achieved and exceeded where I live, the cancer risk for those who never smoked is 18 per 1000 or nearly 2%. Cost me all of $700 to reduce mine to about 0.5 from 10-15.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon#never

Unfortunately, I was a fool and allowed my children and wife (along with myself) to be exposed to high levels for nearly 20 years.

Even with your stat, if you could reduce the risk of dying in a car accident by a factor of 4 for $700, would you not do it.
queso

Post by queso »

I ran the AccuStar test for 104 days and came back with a reading of 1.7 pCi/L. My Safety Siren is reading 2.8 (long term) so at least I am under 4 pCi/L. I am kind of kicking myself for not resetting the Safety Siren and running them the exact same length of time to really ascertain the accuracy of the unit. Oh well, maybe I'll do a follow up test in a year or two and remember next time.