Underwriting in NY for Medigap and Medicare Advantage Coverage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stargazer

Underwriting in NY for Medigap and Medicare Advantage Coverage

Post by stargazer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm

I have read that there is no underwriting for Medigap and Medicare Advantage insurance in NY (where I live).

Q1: Is this correct?

Q2: Does this mean that if I wish to switch from Medicare Advantage to Traditional Medicare/Medigap, or vice versa, or from one Medicare Advantage insurer to a different Medicare Advantage insurer, or from one Medigap insurer to a different Medigap insurer, that I cannot be denied coverage?

Thank you.

stargazer

dm200

Re: Underwriting in NY for Medigap and Medicare Advantage Coverage

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 pm

stargazer wrote:I have read that there is no underwriting for Medigap and Medicare Advantage insurance in NY.
Q1: Is this correct?
Q2: Does this mean that if I wish to switch from Medicare Advantage to Traditional Medicare/Medigap, or vice versa, or from one Medicare Advantage insurer to a different Medicare Advantage insurer, or from one Medigap insurer to a different Medigap insurer, that I cannot be denied coverage?
Thank you.
stargazer

Not in NY State, but as far as I understand there is generally no underwriting for Medicare Advantage or Medicare Cost Plans, except for end stage renal disease/

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 pm

dm200 wrote: "Not in NY State, but as far as I understand there is generally no underwriting for Medicare Advantage or Medicare Cost Plans, except for end stage renal disease."

Did not quite understand your answer. Do you mean that there is no underwriting in NY for either Medigap plans or Medicare Advantage plans, except for end-stage renal disease?

Does this mean that pre-existing conditions cannot be used to deny coverage?

stargazer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:16 pm

stargazer wrote:dm200 wrote: "Not in NY State, but as far as I understand there is generally no underwriting for Medicare Advantage or Medicare Cost Plans, except for end stage renal disease."
Did not quite understand your answer. Do you mean that there is no underwriting in NY for either Medigap plans or Medicare Advantage plans, except for end-stage renal disease?
Does this mean that pre-existing conditions cannot be used to deny coverage?
stargazer

No, I meant that I am not a resident of NY State.

Only for Medicare Advantage or the similar Medicare Cost plans, my understanding, in general, is that there are no underwriting standards to enroll, except for end stage renal disease. I don't know about Medigap plans.