Anchor New Basketball System to Old Concrete

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aude

Anchor New Basketball System to Old Concrete

Post by aude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 pm

All, I was hoping to get a bit of advice from the experts. Our home has a concrete basketball base/footing 18" in diameter sunk three to four feet deep, and it does not heave in the winter, so it's presumably safely below the frost line. The previous owners cut off the tops of the J-bolts that presumably extend down a foot or so into the concrete. We would like to buy and have installed a new heavy-duty basketball system on this concrete footing. Two installers said that they could do this safely by drilling, inserting threaded rod and epoxy ("stronger than the concrete itself" and "the same way we mount two-post lifts at a car repair shop"). A third says that he would only proceed if we remove the existing footing, at about $800 in cost (fork truck, etc.) and starting with a new base. What do you think? The basketball post and backboard weigh almost 800 pounds, and we should assume that at some point a teenager will hang on the rim in a less than gentle manner. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

lthenderson

Re: Anchor New Basketball System to Old Concrete

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:39 pm

I've used Hilti epoxy anchors before to hold many tons of forces and would have no problem using them for what you are describing. They don't come out unless you bust up the concrete. For that reason, I mostly use the female threads epoxy system and add grade 8 bolts to hold whatever down so when removed, the anchors remain flush to the floor. You can then put a cap in them to prevent debris from filling up the threads so they can be reused at a later date.