Charleston and Savannah

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lucky3

Charleston and Savannah

Post by lucky3 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 am

Wife and I are planning a pleasure trip from NYC to Charleston SC and Savannah GA in October. Any things you would place on a "don't miss" list?

Lucky3

beardsworth

Re: Charleston and Savannah

Post by beardsworth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am

It's nearly always a good idea to use that search box at the top of the forum page to see if the subject has been discussed before. In the case of Charleston and Savannah, each has been discussed multiple times, and recently, so you may find the following to be helpful:

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... charleston

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... q=savannah

Righty

Post by Righty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:52 am

How long is the trip? How are you getting there?

I could make the case based on the above answers that you "can-miss" Savannah altogether.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 am

The wife and I like Savannah and Charleston. In Charleston we enjoyed visiting Plantations, eating dinner on the waterfront on the Shem River, walking King Street, riding the tourist trolleys. Savannah is also a great place to walk.

sapphire96

Post by sapphire96 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:21 am

lucky3 wrote:Wife and I are planning a pleasure trip from NYC to Charleston SC and Savannah GA in October. Any things you would place on a "don't miss" list?

Lucky3

Try to go on August 21 to see the solar eclipse: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/south-carolina/

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

October is a great time to go because the weather is more pleasant. Hurricane season is still in effect but beginning to diminish and these areas miss most of the storms.

My daughter lives in Charleston area so we have visited many times over the years. The previous threads probably cover everything, but downtown Charleston is neat with lots of restaurants, shops, the market place and the like. Be sure to take at least one carriage ride (there are 4 different routes, each with its own historical narrative). The beaches are great. We visit Isle of Palms a lot which is north of the city across the Ravenel Bridge. Folly Beach and Kiawah (very expensive and gated) are South. The plantations are worth a visit. Middleton Place is my favorite.

I spent a week in Savannah one time. It is very different from Charleston and is laid out different with many squares and lots of history. Personally, I much prefer Charleston but each city has its own charm.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 am

In Charleston we stayed at the Mills House hotel which was excellent in every way. Visited Savannah once and found it slow and boring; their river walk was disappointing.