Cancelled Cable TV Service Today... [Downsized cable service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
katwillny

Cancelled Cable TV Service Today... [Downsized cable service

Post by katwillny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:51 pm

...Well not in its entirety. After finally getting fed up with the cable company's high cost, I finally decided to call and asked about a lower plan. After hearing the rep's dismay and shock that someone can actually survive without cable tv service, I was rudely informed that I was already at the lowest priced plan. Our current bill is $195 per month for both TV and Internet, no premium channels. After a few rounds of her attempting to sell me more services including a home phone, I asked to speak to her supervisor. I dropped my service to Basic Service and kept my 50/50 internet service bringing my bill to 89.95 after tax. I will be returning the 3 TV boxes tomorrow and will use the TV for running. I am able to get over 50 channels(some repeats) under this service. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime which is more content than we need. I made sure to go into my banks site to increase the monthly transfer to Our Fidelity' account. I'd much rather save that $105. May eventually cancel the entire tv plan and just keep internet.
Anyone else downsized their cable tv service ?

Nicolas

Re: Cancelled Cable TV Service Today... [Downsized cable service

Post by Nicolas » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 pm

We dropped cable TV in 2010, keeping internet. We never had phone. We bought a Tivo w/lifetime service and paired it with a roof antenna. We also subscribe to Netflix, but not to Amazon Prime. This is more than enough TV for us. The Tivo is still working great and we're happy.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the turntable: Cat Stevens: Moonshadow

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm

I read horror stories about "returned TV boxes" all the time, so be sure to get receipts for returning these and the name and photograph of the person that you gave them, too. You might ask for their fingerprints, too.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 am

I have Verizon FIOS Triple Play with "Custom TV". This includes 50/50 Internet, Phone, and Basic Cable along with a Sports Pack and News Pack. With Custom TV you pick 2 Packs from 6 or 7 options. Cost is $79/mo plus $16 for the equipment (1 set top DVR ) plus taxes. I pay about $115 a month. I went to this lower cost plan last year from Extreme HD or something like that. Also returned extra bedroom set top boxes and have a rigged up digital antenna now in bedroom, along with a Chromecast for streaming from tablet/phone. Verizon is constantly changing up their offerings so I'm not sure what is available now.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:08 am

Cox costs me about $55 a month for Internet. This is the lowest cost package I can get. There may be something else in the package, but Internet access is all I use.

I got rid of cable tv several years ago. If there were decent reception here with an antenna, I would probably have that installed, but otherwise, no loss. Where I lived previously, I had good reception with VHF and a UHF antennas and no cable.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 am

katwillny wrote:....dismay and shock that someone can actually survive without cable tv service....
:oops:

Our family never paid for cable TV or satellite TV directly and I am 57 years old. Years ago I had free cable TV in the apartment that I rented for $290/mo. I already watch tooooo much content from Netflix, Amazon Prime and over the air (rarely) and Redbox. TV can be big waist of time, if you watch too much you will find yourself overweight, brain dead and old without experiencing life.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 am

Dropped cable TV three years ago and went to Sling TV. Have no desire to go back to cable whatsoever.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 am

@kat, I think over time you will find that even the basic cable channel line is not worth it. We cut three years ago, had Netflix and Hulu at various times during that but have since discontinued those also. There just is not enough quality on any free or pay TV system to make it worthwhile. Antenna TV gets pretty much all I need.

Where I am we can get internet service for about $30-40 per month. The cable companies just cant seem to go the Ala Cart route and that is just confusing. Just allow people to pay for only what they want???

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am

Attic antenna + TiVo Roamio OTA DVR + AppleTV 4 streaming Playstation Vue here. With 15/3 FiOs internet this gives us absolutely everything we want for $85/month and the freedom to change or cancel anytime. We always have free TV service (all major networks) and DVR capability as a fallback at $0/mo. I love freedom!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

katwillny

Post by katwillny » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am

One of the determining factors in downsizing for us is the fact that both or our children who are teenagers do all of their content consumption on their phones, not the tv. This wasnt always the case, but now they mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. In the summer time they are rarely indoors so it lends itself for the easier transition. /thanks for the replies eveyone.

PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 am

Congrats! We are doing this exact same thing on June 30th, the last paid day of our current service. We are ditching Optimum triple play @ around $190/month. Still, we will not be as independent as you, as we will sign up for Sling TV. Optimum will still get about $70 a month from us for internet. In reality, we will move from $190 a month to about $110 a month. You are an inspiration!

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:14 am

I'm surprised they weren't willing to work with you to keep you as a cable customer.
I have Direct TV and after getting tired of their constant rate hikes ($125 a month with no extras) I called up to cancel.
Simply told them it was not longer in my budget. Because I was a long term customer, I "qualified" for a special rate of
$80 for the next two years. A simple phone call saved me $45 a month.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 am

I cancelled my cable TV service nearly six years and I don't regret the decision.

OP, are you renting a modem for your Internet connection? If so, buying your own modem would be a good way to reduce your overall bill even more.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm

I have downsized my cable service multiple times, due to the unsatisfactory service I received from the current owner of the cable system that serves my address. The last downsizing step was cancelling all service.

katwillny

Post by katwillny » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Ruger wrote:I'm surprised they weren't willing to work with you to keep you as a cable customer.

Oh but they did. After placing me on hold for about 2 minutes they came back with "great news" she was able to save me a whopping $15.

katwillny

Post by katwillny » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 pm

flamesabers wrote:
OP, are you renting a modem for your Internet connection? If so, buying your own modem would be a good way to reduce your overall bill even more.

I didn't know that was an option. I though I had to use their modem/router? How does one go about that ? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm

katwillny wrote:
flamesabers wrote:

I didn't know that was an option. I though I had to use their modem/router? How does one go about that ? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Nope, the modem/router they provide is merely an additional service, not a requirement. I've been using my own modem and router for the last 5+ years without any issues.

I bought mine from Amazon. Depending on how much you're paying to rent the modem, it will probably pay for itself in a year or less. Once I got my modem connected, I returned the modem from the cable company so that I didn't have to pay the rental fee anymore. The cable company might try to scare you into keeping their modem by saying if you have issues with your connection, they can't troubleshoot a third-party modem. However, the only time I've had issues with my internet connection was when the problem was on their side.

catdude

Post by catdude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 pm

About six months ago I bought an OTA antenna and did a Sling free trial. Both of those worked just fine, so I called the local cable company and said I wanted to drop my TV service but keep my internet service. As I expected, I wound up in a negotiation with the rep. He moved me to a lower tier of TV service, plus he knocked another $25 off my monthly bill. At about the same time, I bought my own modem and router, so that saved a few $$$ too. All in all, my bill was cut from $165 to $100. Pretty sweet. The $25 discount is only good for a year, so when that expires I imagine I'll have to call them again and have another negotiation.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:15 pm

catdude wrote:About six months ago I bought an OTA antenna and did a Sling free trial. Both of those worked just fine, so I called the local cable company and said I wanted to drop my TV service but keep my internet service. As I expected, I wound up in a negotiation with the rep. He moved me to a lower tier of TV service, plus he knocked another $25 off my monthly bill. At about the same time, I bought my own modem and router, so that saved a few $$$ too. All in all, my bill was cut from $165 to $100. Pretty sweet. The $25 discount is only good for a year, so when that expires I imagine I'll have to call them again and have another negotiation.

If that's the goal then the antenna and availability of live TV streaming providers (Sling, DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, etc.) sure ups the negotiating power. I think I like knowing that as much or more than actually being able to cut the cable. The cable companies felt that they had us all over a barrel and began taking advantage. Today's options have tipped the scales back toward the consumer.

Now we need everyone to have choices of internet providers.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

garnertr

Post by garnertr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm

CONGRATULATIONS on the first step. It is a great step to start.

1 - do you live in USA? If so, depending on where you life, you can pick up a digital antenna and just point it out a window (some are better and some are crap service may very) and you'll get your local channels - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS.

a. Digital antenna's. I have had 2 so far and discovered that where I live here in Las Vegas, my apartment doesn't point to the right direction, apparently the main satellite hovers in the southern hemisphere and if you don't have a good antenna or are facing the right direction, your service may vary greatly.

b. Apartments. I live in an apartment and only recently discovered that they offer cable access w/ my rent. I've only lived in this apartment for a few months and tried the cable and notice many many many blackouts. Come to find out that the signal was being converted over to a encrypted signal but they did provide the magic black box free of charge. So if your in an apartment setting ask your front office about cable being provided and then check w/ the cable company that services the complex about getting the magic black box.

So, I can tell you that with Hulu and Netflix, we haven't complained too much. I have discovered that many CBS shows and Food Network shows are not covered by Netflix/Hulu service. I don't know about Amazon (as I do not have their service), but you might want to investigate into streaming services and check your favorite shows against them to see what they have.

I'm finding that Hulu is starting to stream more and more content, usually the next day but they don't include all seasons, and the lack of many of the Food Network channel has been sad, but I have found other ways to seek out that fix (lol).

Other than that, Enjoy your cable cutting, don't look back, stay strong. After a while you will wonder why you had it and paid for, especially if you don't watch many channels or are constantly flipping to "find something on".

:)

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 pm

FYI - I made my own digital antenna with a disposable aluminum pie plate. Google pie plate antenna or pietenna. Works as good or better than one I bought. Learned some things during this project. HD, HDTV, and Digital antennas are all the same and you can even get a digital signal with an old VHF/UHF antenna. However antenna quality does vary and may also be dependent on where you live and where you place it. Also the signal quality/picture for HD stations is better over the air, with an antenna, than over cable (no compression, etc.).

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

I will observe that there is no such thing as a 'digital antenna'. There are digital signals which provide far better video than the older analog signals.... but a decent antenna mounted on your roof at a good enough height to get line of sight to your broadcast servers (not satellites...) will provide amazing HD television - sure beats what my Dad got with the old tube set from my childhood! You should research where your local ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS broadcast towers are to point and size the antenna - see below. Note that this tends to work better in urban areas.... Dishnet and DirecTV are satellite quasi-cable providers.

I installed a real antenna on my roof pointed to (the mountain) and pay for internet to get Netflix and Acorn - more content than one can ever watch!

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

WonderT

Post by WonderT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 am

cancelled my Cox cable last week! my bill at one point was just barely $100/month for an HD receiver, cable package + HBO subscription... it reached $123 this year without any additions from me. just additional taxes (regional sports surcharge? i don't even watch sports) and a new 'mini-box' monthly rental they decided was necessary for cable in additional rooms (some digital upgrade they did to their systems which rendered a simple cable from the wall to the tv useless). i got a Roku and subscribed to Sling TV's blue package + HBO for $40/month and love it so far. :happy

modern hippy

Post by modern hippy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 am

Cancelled my cable over five years ago, have internet only for about $65/Mo. Bought Rabbit Ears @Walmart, works perfectly. No regrets. Recently subscribed to Netflix. I will confess, I am Not a big TV watcher!

katwillny

Post by katwillny » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your stories of cutting the cord. So an update since my original post. I am a systems analyst and have been with my company for the past 15 years with a two year break in between. Yesterday I took a hail marry shot and asked my director if the company would pay for my internet service being that I work remotely 2 days of the week and I am essentially on call most weekends. To my surprise he obliged and said that starting next month to submit an expense report for the amount and a copy of the receipt. So starting next month I will only be paying the $17.95 for the basic tv service.
Since he was so giving I asked for a raise to which he replied, "dont push your luck kid", but he did agree to me working a third day remotely. my commute is 100 miles round trip. I rarely ask for accommodations at work and on inclement NY weather I am usually the first one in the building though I live the farthest. All told a good week, thus far.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 pm

katwillny wrote:Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your stories of cutting the cord. So an update since my original post. I am a systems analyst and have been with my company for the past 15 years with a two year break in between. Yesterday I took a hail marry shot and asked my director if the company would pay for my internet service being that I work remotely 2 days of the week and I am essentially on call most weekends. To my surprise he obliged and said that starting next month to submit an expense report for the amount and a copy of the receipt. So starting next month I will only be paying the $17.95 for the basic tv service.
Since he was so giving I asked for a raise to which he replied, "dont push your luck kid", but he did agree to me working a third day remotely. my commute is 100 miles round trip. I rarely ask for accommodations at work and on inclement NY weather I am usually the first one in the building though I live the farthest. All told a good week, thus far.

Job well done katwillny! Maybe you should have asked for the raise first. :D

Just kidding, you got a raise and it was a win-win. Keep demonstrating your conscientiousness (and don't forget to stick up for yourself) and you'll do great.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:26 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
katwillny wrote:Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your stories of cutting the cord. So an update since my original post. I am a systems analyst and have been with my company for the past 15 years with a two year break in between. Yesterday I took a hail marry shot and asked my director if the company would pay for my internet service being that I work remotely 2 days of the week and I am essentially on call most weekends. To my surprise he obliged and said that starting next month to submit an expense report for the amount and a copy of the receipt. So starting next month I will only be paying the $17.95 for the basic tv service.

Job well done katwillny! Maybe you should have asked for the raise first. :D

Just kidding, you got a raise and it was a win-win. Keep demonstrating your conscientiousness (and don't forget to stick up for yourself) and you'll do great.

I think something to keep in mind in regards to fringe benefits like paid internet service at home versus a pay raise is the former isn't taxable while a higher income is.