State Farm to Geico

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vinvedi

State Farm to Geico

Post by vinvedi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Please help me decide if it makes sense to switch from State Farm to Geico. Bay area, 56M, 2017 Volt, no citations in last three years. State Farm quoted me $800 for six months while Geico will do a similar coverage for $420. I'm long-term State Farm Customer.

retiredjg

Re: State Farm to Geico

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:47 pm

I"ve been with GEICO for decades. Rates are good. Customer service is excellent. I had an at fault accident and my rates didn't go up. No complaints at all.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:54 pm

vinvedi wrote:Please help me decide if it makes sense to switch from State Farm to Geico. Bay area, 56M, 2017 Volt, no citations in last three years. State Farm quoted me $800 for six months while Geico will do a similar coverage for $420. I'm long-term State Farm Customer.
It makes sense to switch. Also if you value an online user experience, Geico has the best one I've seen so far. I have switched around just to find the best one since I highly value that. AAA has the worst I've seen so far, Geico has the best.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

vinvedi

Post by vinvedi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:57 pm

[quote="retiredjg"]I"ve been with GEICO for decades. Rates are good. Customer service is excellent. I had an at fault accident and my rates didn't go up. No complaints at all.[/quote]
Thanks for sharing. I am assuming your accident claim experience was also satisfactory.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm

To get the best and most accurate insurance quotes, have them quote all your casualty insurance as a package. This would include auto, homeowners, renters, personal property, etc. There can be substantial discounts for having multiple policies with the same company.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:23 pm

sport wrote:To get the best and most accurate insurance quotes, have them quote all your casualty insurance as a package. This would include auto, homeowners, renters, personal property, etc. There can be substantial discounts for having multiple policies with the same company.
Also get individual policy quotes, since you can't assume that multi-policy discounts are always sufficient to offset the low cost of GEICO's auto coverage. I compared my former company against 4 others, including GEICO. Ended up with auto + umbrella at GEICO, and homeowners at another carrier. Overall cost significantly less than the other companies quoted for all 3 policies (GEICO does not write homeowner policies, and the company they quoted to me was not competitive).

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 pm

vinvedi wrote:
retiredjg wrote:I"ve been with GEICO for decades. Rates are good. Customer service is excellent. I had an at fault accident and my rates didn't go up. No complaints at all.
Thanks for sharing. I am assuming your accident claim experience was also satisfactory.
So smooth I didn't even think of mentioning it. :happy

Two vehicles (old) totaled. Medical claim about 6 months later. No problems.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:45 pm

I would switch in a heartbeat given those numbers!

Geico customer here, been with them for many years. Had a fender bender, no rate increase. Hail damage claim was paid quickly. Overall a happy customer!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I switched to GEICO thanks to this website. Not because people told me to, but didn't realized how much I could save thanks to switching company. Haven't had any really with them, thankfully, but very happy so far.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

In my youth, when I was still 10' tall and bullet-proof, bought a ~3yo New Yorker (beautiful/comfortable car) that had been previously owned by a traveling salesman (~80K interstate miles, if memory serves). Long story short: wrecked it at ~6mo and State Farm's reimbursement wasn't enough to pay for the new tires I'd put on it. SF claimed: used car, high mileage, not worth anything. I was dumb enough to accept it.

Lesson learned: State Farm meets the statutory requirement to have auto liability insurance, but not so good if you think you are buying comprehensive insurance.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 pm

retiredjg wrote:I"ve been with GEICO for decades. Rates are good. Customer service is excellent. I had an at fault accident and my rates didn't go up. No complaints at all.
This is my experience too. Friend crashed my car and it was 100% her fault and the claims service was about as painless as I could imagine it to be. My insurance didn't go up.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

vinvedi wrote:Please help me decide if it makes sense to switch from State Farm to Geico. Bay area, 56M, 2017 Volt, no citations in last three years. State Farm quoted me $800 for six months while Geico will do a similar coverage for $420. I'm long-term State Farm Customer.
vinvedi:

Like you, I used State Farm automobile insurance for many years. They raised their premium every year. Finally, I got disgusted and about 3 years ago switched to GEICO with about half the premium. I have no regrets.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm

I have SF for my auto (2014 Forester XT), condo and $1M umbrella. Just went through this exercise with GEICO online to see how they compare. I matched my current coverages with GEICO.

12 month Coverage

SF

Auto $1,200
Condo $194
$1M Umbrella $119
Total $1,513

GEICO

Auto $710
Condo $840*
$1M Umbrella - Unknown plugged in SF $119 rate for this exercise**
Total $1,669

GEICO Auto With Liberty Mutual Condo

GEICO Auto $710
Lib Mutual Condo $371
GEICO Umbrella - Unknown plugged in SF $119 rate for this exercise**
Total $1,200

* I did this online and could not get a quote on umbrella online with GEICO without first signing up for auto insurance.

** A previous poster stated GEICO does not sell homeowners or condo and refers this business out. This is the quote I got on the GEICO website and as the poster stated it was far from competitive. Note for those not familiar with condo insurance this quote is for personal property and internal fixtures. The building structure is covered by the HOA insurance policy.

I went to Liberty Mutual website & I received a quote of $371 for my condo insurance. So if I selected Liberty Mutual for Condo insurance and GEICO for auto and umbrella the total is now $1,200 for a $314/yr savings.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 pm

I did the same switch and don't regret it.

Well... except for the free cookie coupon my State Farm agent would mail me for my birthday. That was nice.

But on second thought, I'd expect a free cookie for paying ~$2k/year more than Geico. :happy