Roof Replacement - options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ved

Roof Replacement - options

Post by ved » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi all,

My roof (in upper midwest) is about 20 years old.

I saw a few shingles fly off my roof a few weeks ago. So, I called a roofer (referred by a friend). He came by went up to the roof, and said that there's about 50 shingles blown off, and because it's an old roof, he recommends replacement, instead of repairs. He said that the insurance company should pay for it. asked me to contact the insurance company, and have their adjuster contact him (the roofer), and they will do an assessment together and determine the price. If they come to an agreement, then all I would be responsible for is my deductible ($2,500). I signed a document with the roofer that pretty much said this.

I called the insurance company a couple weeks ago. Their adjuster called me and said he probably doesn't have to come by (given the age of the roof). But, he will do his assessment, and will reach out. On last friday, I get an email and a voice mail from him saying that they assess the replacement cost to be about $8,500. He is going to hold about $1000 for depreciation (that will be reimbursed after the completion of the job, and if the invoice shows that the expenses are incurred. Subtracting the deductible, he sent a check for $5,000 (I received the check today).

In the mean time, I contacted a few other roofers - and they quoted anywhere between 5 to 6.5k for replacement - I didn't mention I was going through the insurance (assumption was I was going to pay out of pocket).

Questions:

Should I call the first roofer, and ask him for an estimate? Should i tell him that the insurance estimated $8.5k, and sent check for $5k? Am I obligated to go with this roofer (and pay $2.5k out of pocket)?
Should I just cash the $5k check, and go with one of the roofers that quoted $5 to $7k? Potentially paying only $1 to $1.5k out of pocket?

Thanks

Goal33

Re: Roof Replacement - options

Post by Goal33 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 pm

To be honest I'm kind of confused about the 1k portion you're talking about that brought your check to 5k rather than 6k...

Anyway, if you liked the first roofer, ask him if he can do the job for 5k
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

ved

Post by ved » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I think the way I understood it is that the insurance company is going to hold the $1k to make sure I get the job done. And will give that $1k on showing the invoice from the roofer.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:13 pm

As long as the document you signed with the roofer was not a contract to do business with him then you are free to use whoever you would like.

Just make sure you are using a reputable contractor and understand the scope of work and possible additional charges. (most roofers will include 1 or 2 sheets of plywood at no charge, anything more is on you)

To recover the $1,000 recoverable depreciation the job would have to cost $8500. Basically the insurance company will pay up to $1,000 for any repairs over $7500 ( your deductible of $2500 + $5,000 already paid)

If you like this roofer see if he will do the job for $5,000. Otherwise feel free to use another roofer but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Same shingle type, scope of work etc.

The new thing with roofing these days is to remove the whirlybird vents and cut a ridge vent in to the roof. If you have any whirlybird vents you may want to consider this.

Also look at materials used to replace pipe collars, flashing etc.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

ved

Post by ved » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Thank you, Stevie.

Yes, I saw some houses in my neighborhood go with the ridge vent, while others have the whirlybird vents.
Do you know what the difference is, and which is better?

Thanks

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 pm

If you have soffit vents, the ridge vent is the way to go. Ditch the whirlybirds.

I was apprehensive at first but like the cleaner look of the ridge vent. It will give your home an updated look as it seems all new construction homes use ridge vents ( in my area anyways).

I figure if all of the new constructions is using this technology, it is good enough for me!

The key is to have adequate soffit airflow for the system to work as designed.

I dont think my soffit airflow is adequate but I do have gable vents as well.

For my application I am not sure it is much better than what I had, but at the same time it certainly isn't worse. I no longer have to hear a squeaking whirlybird which was enough reason alone to make the switch.The price difference between adding ridge vents or replacing whirlybirds was negligible as well so it made sense financially.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am

You need to carefully read what you signed with the roofer. If that document obligates you to use him you may have a penalty for breaking the contract.

Roofers are shady like this, they will hold your hand if you let them, but you pay for it. Never mention insurance to a roofer - that will escalate the price quickly. If you have replacement insurance you qualify to get the depreciation hold back, this is regardless of how much you pay for the roofing job. You can often get the roofing job for far less than your insurance will pay you.

Baring any contract obligation to use the first roofer, I would seek quotes and go with the best qualified with the most reasonable price. After the job is complete be sure to file for your $1,000 depreciation. Again, there is no reason to tell the roofers the source of the cash you are using.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.