New Box Spring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

New Box Spring?

Post by sport » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am

The places that sell mattresses always seem to tell people that when a mattress is replaced, the box spring should be replaced at the same time. There is clearly a conflict of interest as the seller will have a bigger sale if both are replaced. However, that does not necessarily make the advice untrue. Is it really necessary/advisable to replace the box spring when a new mattress is purchased?

livesoft

Re: New Box Spring?

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am

I always laugh at these mattress ads. There is one ad that is saying replace your mattress every 7 years like it is motor oil or something.

The mattress I sleep on is as good as the day it was purchased about 23 years ago. I have mattresses of the same age in the guest rooms that get very little action, so I can compare to a practically "new" mattress to a 23-year-old mattress and vouch they are the same. Plus I sleep in hotels often enough to try out other mattresses. The one at home is great.

And yes, if your box springs are decent, why shouldn't they last forever.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am

livesoft wrote:The mattress I sleep on is as good as the day it was purchased about 23 years ago.

This is excellent performance! What type of mattress is this?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:31 am

Performance? When talking about a mattress? Weird. It's some kind of posturepedic, queen, firm.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:30 pm

livesoft wrote:I always laugh at these mattress ads. There is one ad that is saying replace your mattress every 7 years like it is motor oil or something.

There is a radio ad in Phoenix that tells you that it is ok to blow a bunch of money on a mattress, because you only buy x number in your life :)

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

runner3081 wrote:
livesoft wrote:I always laugh at these mattress ads. There is one ad that is saying replace your mattress every 7 years like it is motor oil or something.

There is a radio ad in Phoenix that tells you that it is ok to blow a bunch of money on a mattress, because you only buy x number in your life :)

And this is exactly why you need my services. I've become certified as a F.A. (Firmness Advisor) to help folks manage their mattress-related assets. After all, shouldn't you leave something so important to a professional? Why would you want to settle for average mattress performance when, with our help, you may achieve superior sleep results? Let us help you take advantage of dynamic mattress trends, including when to churn (err, replace) your mattress. All for the low, low fee of 1% AUM - Amount Under Mattress.
Semper Augustus

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:50 pm

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:57 pm

livesoft wrote:Warren Buffett is my F.A.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5LKpLPGrQ

or more recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XFwlNVRD5M

Thanks Livesoft you made my day :D

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:25 pm

All of these replies have been most entertaining. However, the question remains: Is it necessary to replace the box spring when the mattress is replaced?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:29 pm

If the box spring has the same dimensions as the mattress, then no.

Think about the Laws of Physics and you will see why that is true.

And some people put a board or panel between the box spring and the mattress for even more support.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

No it's not. Unless the existing box spring is broken. Although you may find it difficult to buy a quality top mattress as a separate.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 pm

sport wrote:All of these replies have been most entertaining. However, the question remains: Is it necessary to replace the box spring when the mattress is replaced?

I think in order to determine that one would have to inspect the box spring. Is the platform appropriate for your new mattress? Does the box spring have broken slats? Does the box spring show signs of "sagging and/or wear and tear"? Did your children jump and down on it and make a trampoline out of it? Did your kids play football on it? Was the box spring replaced with the previous mattress? I would say you do not have to replace it every time you replace your mattress if you did not do unusual things to it.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

sport wrote:All of these replies have been most entertaining. However, the question remains: Is it necessary to replace the box spring when the mattress is replaced?

The straight and boring answer is "probably not, unless you are a box spring manufacturer."

https://www.stlbeds.com/what-is-a-boxsp ... really-do/
Semper Augustus

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:06 pm

you don't use box springs if your new mattress is one of the memory foam ones; so you would need to replace the box springs with something else.

fwiw -- my mattress is 35 years old and there's not a thing wrong with it.

Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:33 pm

It's not uncommon for the warranty to be void if you do not get the box spring. The last 2 mattresses I bought ($800 queen & $2000 king) there was only about $100-150 cost for the box spring on the invoice.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 am

Note that most of what is sold today is NOT a "box spring" - it is a "Foundation".
The difference? A foundation is nothing but a box covered in fabric. There is no spring.

I built one using 2X4s and cedar fence boards (looks like a pallet when complete). Finish it with a bedskirt and no one knows the difference. Added bonus of cedar aromatics.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

My brother and his wife are still using the Serta mattress (the best one they made back then) when they got married nearly 55 years ago.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 am

N1CKV wrote:Note that most of what is sold today is NOT a "box spring" - it is a "Foundation".

I am reminded of one road trip through SW Utah many years ago when I stayed at one of those motels that advertised rooms from $20 a night. I flopped down on the bed and was amazed that I didn't hear the normal creaks or groans from the box spring. I lifted up the corner of the mattress and saw that the "box spring" was actually two layers of cinder blocks stacked up with the mattress on top. I don't remember having any trouble sleeping that night either.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 am

lthenderson wrote:
N1CKV wrote:Note that most of what is sold today is NOT a "box spring" - it is a "Foundation".

I am reminded of one road trip through SW Utah many years ago when I stayed at one of those motels that advertised rooms from $20 a night. I flopped down on the bed and was amazed that I didn't hear the normal creaks or groans from the box spring. I lifted up the corner of the mattress and saw that the "box spring" was actually two layers of cinder blocks stacked up with the mattress on top. I don't remember having any trouble sleeping that night either.

And I won't call you a blockhead for sleeping on it. :happy Whatever works.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 pm

You could just get a platform bed, and you will never need a Box Spring again. A few years ago, I built my own using about $100 of lumber from Home Depot. I wanted it to be low so that our aging cat could easily jump up on it. I find that the platform is supporting my coil spring mattress better than my old box spring ever did. I used to wake up with a sore back, but not anymore. Here is a picture of it:

The plans for building such a bed are loosely based on the plans found here:
http://www.ana-white.com/2012/01/plans/ ... atform-bed

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm

I definitely agree with the idea that no box spring is needed at all and that you are actually better off as far as comfort without one. This is especially true if you get a foam mattress but is still true with a traditional innerspring mattress.

If you need or want the extra height that a box spring provides, you can get a foundation as mentioned above and it doesn't have to match the mattress as it is just a platform. You can even get a piece of masonite or similar material and put over your current box spring, it's just not as pretty.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:19 pm

I should go buy a used 25 year old mattress. The ones we buy only last 3-5 years before they become all lumpy, lose all edge support and cause a painful night's rest.

taguscove

Post by taguscove » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

A box spring's purpose is to provide a flat surface and raise the bed to your preferred height (i.e. sexy time height).
If your current box spring does that, a new box spring is not necessary. Many current beds are even designed to remove the need for boxsprings.

On a related topic, the mattress industry is amazingly opaque. Even the online mattress review sites are really self-serving and rife with conflicts of interest. I recommend buying from Costco or one of the online foam mattress sites.