Alternatives to Amazon, Freebooksy, Bookbub, etc.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Alternatives to Amazon, Freebooksy, Bookbub, etc.

Postby Barefootgirl » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 am

A friend reads free ebooks from Freebooksy and Bookbub, but I don't find many titles there to my taste.

I have naively purchased self-published books - ugh, more cautious now.

I guess I lean a lot more toward non-fiction, not-mainstream authors and topics....stuff I usually pay big $ for on Amazon :?

Are there cheaper alternatives to Amazon?
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

Thrifty Femme

Re: Alternatives to Amazon, Freebooksy, Bookbub, etc.

Postby Thrifty Femme » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

See if your local library lends ebooks.

David S

Postby David S » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 am

I use my local library quite a bit for digital books. A program/app called Overdrive lets you search your library’s selection (or any library you have access to), then borrow and download in either e-book or Kindle format, as well as audio books if your library has them available.
Also, look at Project Gutenberg (www.gutten.org). Over 54,000 selections available.

mouses

Postby mouses » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 am

David S wrote:I use my local library quite a bit for digital books. A program/app called Overdrive lets you search your library’s selection (or any library you have access to), then borrow and download in either e-book or Kindle format, as well as audio books if your library has them available.
Also, look at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutten.org). Over 54,000 selections available.

+1 My library has a link to Overdrive on its home page. They call it ezone or somesuch.

rob65

Postby rob65 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 am

Second the public library/overdrive suggestion.

Have you checked out kindle unlimited at about $10 per month? I didn't find enough there that I liked, but my daughter uses it and likes it. Don't know how much nonfiction it has, but it might be worth a look.

runner3081

Postby runner3081 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Another local library fan. It is amazing how much value we get from the library from a small property tax portion. I am shocked (but also somewhat happy) that people don't realize everything the library offers. Kids programs, adult programs, online books, brand new release movies, etc.

JDCarpenter

Postby JDCarpenter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:54 pm

gutenberg.org

Note that other countries typically have shorter copyright duration than the US; Thanks, Mickey! (just for example, Australia and Canada have their own gutenberg projects, albeit with smaller holdings)

These aren't options for cutting edge nonfiction, but I've been happy with these sources as flavoring for my Kindle collection...
Edit Signature

DoTheMath

Postby DoTheMath » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Another vote for the local library.

One thing to look at is if you can also get borrowing privileges from another library. My town's library has a partnership with the neighboring city's library system. They are a bigger library and offer a wider selection. Between the two I can get many of the current books I'm looking for as downloads. I also considered getting a card at my parents' local library but their online offerings didn't add much of anything to what I could get already.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

arcticpineapplecorp.

Postby arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

David S wrote:I use my local library quite a bit for digital books. A program/app called Overdrive lets you search your library’s selection (or any library you have access to), then borrow and download in either e-book or Kindle format, as well as audio books if your library has them available.
Also, look at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutten.org). Over 54,000 selections available.

It's actually www.gutenberg.org :

https://www.gutenberg.org/
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

mouses

Postby mouses » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am

DoTheMath wrote:Another vote for the local library.

One thing to look at is if you can also get borrowing privileges from another library. My town's library has a partnership with the neighboring city's library system. They are a bigger library and offer a wider selection. Between the two I can get many of the current books I'm looking for as downloads. I also considered getting a card at my parents' local library but their online offerings didn't add much of anything to what I could get already.

My library's ebook system is statewide, and a library card for any library in the state is good at any one of them. Regular books can be requested online that are at another library in the state and they will magically be delivered to your library.

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 am

I only read non-fiction books. I get 90% of mine at estate actions, garage sales, and local used book sale fundraisers. The other 10% are books that I do't want to wait to find elsewhere to read and thus buy new. Even those I buy using giftcards or other discounts that I gather. I also have a few friends who read the same kind of books and we do a lot of swapping. If I had to guess, I currently have around 300 to 400 books in my to-be-read pile which is actually an entire wall of built in bookcases downstairs. When I look at it and see all those unread books, I always feel unmeasurably wealthy.

mouses

Postby mouses » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:19 pm

lthenderson wrote: If I had to guess, I currently have around 300 to 400 books in my to-be-read pile which is actually an entire wall of built in bookcases downstairs. When I look at it and see all those unread books, I always feel unmeasurably wealthy.

Consider ebooks. I have about 1000 books in an item about 6"x8"x1/2" and it is much easier to dust, not to mention if I move.

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:35 pm

You can easily browse the top 100 FREE Kindle ebooks in each category as they are divided into Top 100 Paid and Top 100 Free.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kin ... /154606011

You can also sort books on Amazon by price to look through the free or very inexpensive ones.

Just double-check that a book is free before clicking to "buy" it as they can remain on the top free list even after they revert to requiring payment.

In addition to classics, authors often make their books free for a limited amount of time but those are most likely self-published. However, sometimes you can find a self-published gem. Many famous authors were self-published, so don't write off the category entirely.

Most of the Project Gutenberg books mentioned above are also available on Amazon free.

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am

mouses wrote:
lthenderson wrote: If I had to guess, I currently have around 300 to 400 books in my to-be-read pile which is actually an entire wall of built in bookcases downstairs. When I look at it and see all those unread books, I always feel unmeasurably wealthy.

Consider ebooks. I have about 1000 books in an item about 6"x8"x1/2" and it is much easier to dust, not to mention if I move.

I've seen enough bankruptcies, changes in media formats, mergers, changes in rules beyond my control to know that I don't want my collection of books stored electronically out of my control. I also don't like that I have to pay even more money to maintain a reading device on top of purchasing the book not to mention wondering where I will have to charge it next in order to keep on reading. Like I mentioned earlier, the majority of my books are purchased for pennies on the dollar. You can't do that either with ebooks. When you die, instead of letting others buy your books at an estate auction, they simply disappear into the internet. I also wouldn't get the unmeasurable wealthy feeling staring at a ereader sitting on my bookshelf. No thanks, ebooks are not for me.

CyberBob

Postby CyberBob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 am

https://www.abebooks.com
I just bought a mint used copy of Bill Bernstein's book The Birth of Plenty in hardcover for $4.57, and that included postage.

Jackson12

Postby Jackson12 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am

lthenderson wrote:
mouses wrote:

I've seen enough bankruptcies, changes in media formats, mergers, changes in rules beyond my control to know that I don't want my collection of books stored electronically out of my control. I also don't like that I have to pay even more money to maintain a reading device on top of purchasing the book not to mention wondering where I will have to charge it next in order to keep on reading. Like I mentioned earlier, the majority of my books are purchased for pennies on the dollar. You can't do that either with ebooks. When you die, instead of letting others buy your books at an estate auction, they simply disappear into the internet. I also wouldn't get the unmeasurable wealthy feeling staring at a ereader sitting on my bookshelf. No thanks, ebooks are not for me.

My house is full of books. I'll keep my favorites but I can't read the relstively print in paperbacks and hardcovers any more, even with reading glasses. So now I'm faced with culling my book collection and turning to ebooks ( adjustable font size ). I'm saddened by this but ebooks offsets some of that sadness.

I confess that I'm keeping some books I can no longer read because the sight of them on my shelves is a comfort. For me, books often do make a room.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”