Office Chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
indexaway

Office Chair

Post by indexaway » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 am

I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk and am in the market for a very nice, comfortable, ergonomic office chair that won't slowly destroy my neck/back. I'd rather not spent $1000+ on a Herman Miller or Steelcase, etc; but am willing to do so if there are no decent affordable alternatives.

What do you think? Space seating, Serta, Alera elusion, etc...

Thanks!

StevieG72

Re: Office Chair

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 am

I was in the same boat a few years ago and bought this chair.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Very comfortable, just enough features etc.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

dependapotamus

Post by dependapotamus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:56 am

About four months ago I bit the bullet on an Aeron chair. I have a scar from a pilonidal cyst that never healed properly. I've used at least three different office chairs, typically the top of the line offerings from either Sams Club or Costco depending on where I lived at the time. I could only spend about two to three hours per day in one of those chairs before the pain became too much. With the Aeron my scar pain from sitting in an office chair has almost completely gone away.

Since I use my chair for work in my home-based Schedule C business, I was able to deduct a significant portion of the cost. I can also work up to three times as many hours in a day now, since my comfort with sitting is no longer a limiting factor in my work.

I bought it through a local independently owned office furniture company, and got it out the door with sales tax for right at $1000 plus a couple of pennies. Also helped me meet the minimum spend on a credit card for travel hacking, the result of which was being able to fly my parents out to spoil the granddaughter for a week.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 am

After years of waffling, I just purchased a loaded Aeron chair off Amazon for a little over $630 about a month ago (price has dropped since then). VERY happy with it. Did get different high-quality wheels for it (about $35).

My back and butt feels MUCH better than my previous office-depot-quality chair.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CDGRPW4 (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

Even got 5% discount with my Prime store card on top of that.

KingsBench

Post by KingsBench » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm

I find the Hon desk chairs comfortable and back-friendly. Bought them barely-used at a nice local office furniture store for our home desks.

https://www.hon.com/

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm going to take a different tack.

I bought a $700 new office chair on bobblehead advice for long term use.

It's a perfectly good chair but I wouldn't spend that much again. My $100 cheap chair is plenty good.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:38 pm

I bought a HM Aeron chair about 16 years ago. Given how comfortable they are and how well they wear I'd say they are the best available value in an office chair. While working full time my chair was used a minimum of 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week for 15 years and still looked brand new. It gets less use now that I'm retired but still feels and looks great, I'm sitting in it as I type this. No other office style chair we owned has had that kind of use and stayed comfortable and looking great for so long.

FraggleRock

Aeron

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I bought an Aeron chair in 1996 and then sat in it for 8+ hours a day.
Wore it out.
Bought another one in 2011.
Sit in it 8+ hours per day.

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:02 pm

I bought a used Steelcase Think (model with full armrest adjustments, in good condition) for about $270 shipped a few years ago. You might be able to find something used but high quality locally as well.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:51 pm

My favorite is the Allsteel 19. Normally it's at least as expensive as Herman Miller, but Madison Seating has them now for $400.

I'd also check craigslist. I expect used Aeron's to go for $300-400.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 pm

i highly recommend http://www.thehumansolution.com/raynor- ... e7erg.html

I have had 3 of these for last 10 years. One at my work and two at home. I love them and back then I got it for around $500.

quaternion

Post by quaternion » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 pm

I second the recommendation for a used Aeron. There's a good market for used chairs and replacement parts. Plus, the pellicle mesh is easier to clean than typical upholstered cushions.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Human scale Freedom chair with headrest. You can find them used for about the same or less than an Aeron. I've never found a more comfortable chair. For me, more comfortable than an Aeron.

whattodonow

Post by whattodonow » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 pm

have you looked into a standing desk? if you go that route, also look into more comfortable shoes.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 pm

I can't emphasize enough how much of a personal thing this is (your weight, body shape, back issues etc). You should try and find stores where you can try various chairs. And if you're buying a high dollar chair, sit in them for at least 45 minutes or so.

I went thru this a couple years ago. The most often recommended Herman Miller (I forget the model name) felt fine at first but became progressively more uncomfortable starting around a half hour. The Human Scale was OK, but I ended up getting a Steelcase Leap with a significant black friday discount (ordered direct from steelcase). Also check with your employer...sometimes the brand they use is offered with an employee discount.

Some people could throw darts and be happy with any of several, including cheap ones. Other people will only get long-term comfort with the higher dollar chairs. But just because someone else loves chair xyz does not mean that you will.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Steelcase Leap here. Although I sit on a Roho cushion as well, because I can't seem to find a seat with enough cushion. I don't like the Aeron's at all. The Freedom mentioned above was my second choice.

I would spend the money on a good chair. Hopefully, you have a store near you where you can try a few out.