How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lynette
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Lynette » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks to those who replied affirmatively to my query if it is possible to replace sections of a driveway.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=220660&p=3400735#p3400735.
I called a reputable builder in this area and he gave me the name of the guy who does his concrete work. The concrete man's name is Mike. He is going to give me a quote for replacing large sections of the driveway. However the problem is that the garage is lower that the driveway. At the moment the blocks before the garage are at a lower level and the water accumulates there. Mike said that he would create a V and the concrete on the one side would be higher so that it would drain into the lawn. I asked Mike how I could get the water away from there. He said he is so busy with concrete that he doesn't deal with this!

So I have to come up with ideas! I would appreciate it if anyone has experience of this. There are a few possibilities I think of:

1. I had water on in my basement as a large house was built next door. I had an internal drain installed but also a catchment drain at the back of my property with a sewer line that leads to the side of the house and then joins the city sewer line. My plumbing company did this. We could possibly have another sewer line direct the water to the catchment sewer line. Mike says the city isn't interested in a permit for this. I doubt it.

2. Call in a landscaping company and see if they can grade the land so that the water flows to the back. I don't know if this is a great idea as it would be directing it to the side of the garage.

3. Maybe the landscaping company can install a french drain. I don't know it it needs a sewer line. Maybe it could be independent of the other sewer line that I have.

4. My handyman who is installing kitchen cabinets told me we could raise the whole garage!

Any suggestions as to who I should call? Will a more experience concrete man be able to solve the whole problem!

Thanks - appreciate any suggestions.

TravelforFun
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby TravelforFun » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Hard to know the best way since we don't know the topography of your lot, but:

- It's illegal to re-grade your lot, change runoff pattern, and drain rainwater onto adjacent lots.
- raising your garage would not eliminate the low points and hence, standing water on your driveway.
- your city or town would frown on you dumping storm water into sewer line because then they have to treat it.

How does your yard drain right now? Is there a swale in your yard that carries water somewhere else? If so, you can install a French drain on your driveway and run it to the swale.

User avatar
Bengineer
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: CA

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Bengineer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Go out and look at what the water is doing when it is raining. If it's pooling around the drive / garage / house, where could it drain to? What's lower than where the water is pooling?

If the ground around is lower, could you grade the yard so it drains?
If not, then things get more complicated. Underground drain? Surely your house is not the lowest point on all 4 sides.

Side note: A french drains effectiveness will depend on the soil. Clay is going to requre a large one, sand not so much. How fast does water percolate into the soil?

Lynette
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Lynette » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:11 pm

When it rains, the back of my yard gets very wet at the back. My neighbor says that our houses are built on a slight mound that dips to the back and front. I would not be redirecting water - it will go onto my lawn. As I mentioned I have a catchment drain at the back of my lot and the water could possibly be redirected there. This lengthy section of catchment drains, sewers, pea gravel etc. cost me about $10,000 about 10 years ago. It runs into the city sewer. I am sure that the plumbing company who did it got permits despite what Mike my concrete man says.

Thanks.

rikki
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby rikki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:46 am

I have a similar problem.

Have you thought about tearing out the concrete and using permeable pavers on a packed gravel base instead? That is what I am planning to do.

Impromptu
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Impromptu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 am

I have a long, narrow lot. 50' wide, 150' deep. It slopes a little downward toward the back, also a little to the left. We built a garage behind our house. The concrete guys sloped the water to drain off to the left about 5 feet before the garage. I dug a little trench (maybe 6 inches deep) from that point around and behind the garage to our grassy area behind the garage, which continues to slope backward. I filled it with some of the leftover gravel from the concrete guys and covered it up with dirt. I intentionally left a bit of a depression there, too. It works beautifully.

The front gutter comes off the right of the garage. I dug a bit of a trench from that downspout to the back grassy area. I didn't fill this with gravel, but it still works really well. Little trenches can go a long way in controlling water flow.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Lynette
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Lynette » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:41 pm

rikki wrote:I have a similar problem.

Have you thought about tearing out the concrete and using permeable pavers on a packed gravel base instead? That is what I am planning to do.


Thanks - I think that about 40% of the concrete driveway can be saved and almost all of the driveways in my area are concrete, so I think I'll stick with concrete.

Lynette
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Lynette » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Impromptu wrote:I have a long, narrow lot. 50' wide, 150' deep. It slopes a little downward toward the back, also a little to the left. We built a garage behind our house. The concrete guys sloped the water to drain off to the left about 5 feet before the garage. I dug a little trench (maybe 6 inches deep) from that point around and behind the garage to our grassy area behind the garage, which continues to slope backward. I filled it with some of the leftover gravel from the concrete guys and covered it up with dirt. I intentionally left a bit of a depression there, too. It works beautifully.

The front gutter comes off the right of the garage. I dug a bit of a trench from that downspout to the back grassy area. I didn't fill this with gravel, but it still works really well. Little trenches can go a long way in controlling water flow.


Thanks for the suggestion. My lot is 50 x 130 and runs East to West. The concrete guy said he could slope the driveway to the north side. At the back of my log on the West side, there is a catchment drain. At the moment the ground does not slope much in that direction so I don't think it is much use. About ten years ago I had water in my basement because a massive house was built on the north side with no where for the water to drain. I had an internal drain installed and this series of drains to relieve pressure on the north side. The plumbers description was: "Installed 4" PVC Storm line from sanitary line at city walk to new catch basin in the rear of the yard. Also installed drain tile pipe with pea gravel on the north side of the house."

This catch basin is at the rear end of my property about 6 feet away from the garage. I could likely build a drain from the area where the water drains to the catch basin at the back.

I went scouting my neighbors who were outside. One guy has water drain into his garage and he has a utility pump that he attaches to a hose and pumps the water out - says it takes about a a day. Another guy is renting a house and the waters drains onto his neighbor's lot.

Mike says he does not need a permit as we are keeping the entrance to the driveway and the city walkway slab. The city was supposed to call me back - no reply as yet. My street is a mixture of older houses such as mine and new $1 M dollar houses.

Thanks for the replies - really appreciate it.

Lynette
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby Lynette » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am

If anyone else is interested, this is an update.

I decided to run water down my driveway to see what happened. Two slabs from the garage the water flows off to the right and floods the lawn. The slab next to garage has a dip in the middle and the water pools up there up to an inch. Obviously in the winter time it freezes.

The concrete man obviously has too much work. I called him to ask exactly how he was going to redirect the water. He was rude and said he was in the middle of a job. So I decided to ignore him. He called me back. We continue to miss one another. He has a short fuse but obviously everyone is very busy at the moment. A house a few houses away is having their garden redone. So the supervisor agreed to look at my property. He said that the area where the water is piling up is higher than the bottom of my property where the catch drain is located. He tells me that they are fully booked at the moment but they could come and regrade it next year and solve the problem with a small trench down to the catch drain. He complimented me on my garden and said I am doing a great job.

So goes my first year of retirement.

TravelforFun
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby TravelforFun » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 am

Lynette wrote: He said that the area where the water is piling up is higher than the bottom of my property where the catch drain is located. He tells me that they are fully booked at the moment but they could come and regrade it next year and solve the problem with a small trench down to the catch drain.

Good solution and shouldn't cost that much.

wfrobinette
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: How to direct water away from a sloping driveway - French drain or ..

Postby wfrobinette » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Lynette wrote:When it rains, the back of my yard gets very wet at the back. My neighbor says that our houses are built on a slight mound that dips to the back and front. I would not be redirecting water - it will go onto my lawn. As I mentioned I have a catchment drain at the back of my lot and the water could possibly be redirected there. This lengthy section of catchment drains, sewers, pea gravel etc. cost me about $10,000 about 10 years ago. It runs into the city sewer. I am sure that the plumbing company who did it got permits despite what Mike my concrete man says.

Thanks.


Define sewer!

1. Into the waste water pipe? Can't believe that is even legal.
2. Out to the road via pipe and draining where the rain goes?


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: msk and 31 guests