Poaching chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Good Listener

Poaching chicken

Post by Good Listener »

I feel like a fool asking this...as a 60 something vegetarian man I can honestly say that I have never made chicken. Like a fool, instead of taking the easy way out and just donating cash for a charitable event, I volunteered to cook something. So I was assigned to do poached chicken breasts, totally bland in water, about 8 pounds. Costco sells very nice big packages and it looks like there would be about 8 ounce pieces, 9 pounds total. A nice, patient lady customer told me I probably could cook about 6-8 breasts at a time, so 2 or 3 rounds would do it. She said that a ?pot/?skillet with a 12 inch diameter would work. I let her go without having her show me one :oops: . I see something call T-fal, 12 inch "frying pans," 5 quarts, 2.75 inches deep. It has a nice clear lid and a little hole for steam to escape. Is this too shallow so that I should use my large spaghetti pot that is like 10 inches high, or does that sound about right? There also is an aluminum one and a titanium one, with the latter about $10 more (not a factor. Help !!!
mhalley

Re: Poaching chicken

Post by mhalley »

To poach it the chicken needs to be covered by an inch of water. The spaghetti pot should work fine, but it might not hold as many at a time, so you would have to do more batches. It takes about 15 minutes a batch after the water boils to give you an idea of the time involved.
This what a recipe off kitchen recommends:
2- to 4-quart sauce pot with lid, large enough to hold the chicken breasts in a single layer
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-poach-c ... tchn-28367
Last edited by mhalley on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Good Listener wrote:I feel like a fool asking this...as a 60 something vegetarian man I can honestly say that I have never made chicken. Like a fool, instead of taking the easy way out and just donating cash for a charitable event, I volunteered to cook something. So I was assigned to do poached chicken breasts, totally bland in water, about 8 pounds. Costco sells very nice big packages and it looks like there would be about 8 ounce pieces, 9 pounds total. A nice, patient lady customer told me I probably could cook about 6-8 breasts at a time, so 2 or 3 rounds would do it. She said that a ?pot/?skillet with a 12 inch diameter would work. I let her go without having her show me one :oops: . I see something call T-fal, 12 inch "frying pans," 5 quarts, 2.75 inches deep. It has a nice clear lid and a little hole for steam to escape. Is this too shallow so that I should use my large spaghetti pot that is like 10 inches high, or does that sound about right? There also is an aluminum one and a titanium one, with the latter about $10 more (not a factor. Help !!!

I don't know about the pan. But i would poach in water+chicken broth + white wine + lemon slices.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Dottie57 wrote:
Good Listener wrote:I feel like a fool asking this...as a 60 something vegetarian man I can honestly say that I have never made chicken. Like a fool, instead of taking the easy way out and just donating cash for a charitable event, I volunteered to cook something. So I was assigned to do poached chicken breasts, totally bland in water, about 8 pounds. Costco sells very nice big packages and it looks like there would be about 8 ounce pieces, 9 pounds total. A nice, patient lady customer told me I probably could cook about 6-8 breasts at a time, so 2 or 3 rounds would do it. She said that a ?pot/?skillet with a 12 inch diameter would work. I let her go without having her show me one :oops: . I see something call T-fal, 12 inch "frying pans," 5 quarts, 2.75 inches deep. It has a nice clear lid and a little hole for steam to escape. Is this too shallow so that I should use my large spaghetti pot that is like 10 inches high, or does that sound about right? There also is an aluminum one and a titanium one, with the latter about $10 more (not a factor. Help !!!

I don't know about the pan. But i would poach in water+chicken broth + white wine + lemon slices.
You could also pay someone to do it too!
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

The chicken does not get covered with water. I poach with the chicken covered half way up. I finds it takes about 45 minutes (but my water boils quickly, since I use little of it) to have the breast reach 170 degrees internally. Use a quick read thermometer; do not wash the chicken before cooking and clean counter and stove tops with mix of water and bleach after handling raw chicken and wash hands and utensils frequently.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I didn't know how to poach chicken either so I just guessed. I did it in a skillet with an inch or so of water. Turned the chicken over when one side seemed done. Total of a few minutes on each side. Took it out when it seemed not quite done and let the heat of the chicken continue cooking the inside.

Good listener....you are going to need to practice so that you don't get rubber chicken (cooked too long).

If the poached chicken is going into some recipe that will be cooked, you might want to leave it undercooked. If it is going into chicken salad or something, you don't want to leave it undercooked.

Hard to imagine how someone who does not eat chicken will be able to judge the doneness. It's hard enough for people who do eat it. Good luck!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Why not practice on one single chicken breast first? See how it goes today and do the rest at some other time. Get a friend to help you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

littlebird wrote:I finds it takes about 45 minutes...
Is that a typo? 45 minutes for a chicken breast? In my experience it would have been more like 4 or 5 minutes. Course, some are larger than others.... :D
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

retiredjg wrote:
littlebird wrote:I finds it takes about 45 minutes...
Is that a typo? 45 minutes for a chicken breast? In my experience it would have been more like 4 or 5 minutes. Course, some are larger than others.... :D
I just checked with "The Complete Chicken Cookbook", and it says "simmer, covered, 45-60 minutes". That's for several mixed pieces. I do several breasts only, sometimes even from frozen, and find on a slow simmer, it takes 45 minutes to reach safe temperature.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

One can poach a chicken breast like they would poach broccoli. Actually, one can poach them both at the same time and they would both probably be cooked in the same time, too.

And one can put a pot of water in the oven full of chicken breasts and cover them, too. I just don't see a way of overcooking them since the water will never get hotter than 212 degrees F even if the oven is hotter.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I suppose the best way to tell when they are done is to use a meat thermometer and the breast is 165 degrees.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mhalley wrote:I suppose the best way to tell when they are done is to use a meat thermometer and the breast is 165 degrees.
That's fine, but it could go higher in temperature and for longer and it just wouldn't matter. It's the undercooking that is not good.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Deleted due to the followup.
PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Skinless unfrozen 15 minutes is perfect.
Frozen? Bring an instant read thermometer and make sure they get to safe temperature, 165 in the inside.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

When I first read the title, I thought of another meaning of "poach", as in

verb (used with object)
6.to trespass on (private property), especially in order to hunt or fish.
7.to steal (game or fish) from another's property.
8.to take without permission and use as one's own:
to poach ideas; a staff poached from other companies.

:oops:
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

livesoft wrote:And one can put a pot of water in the oven full of chicken breasts and cover them, too. I just don't see a way of overcooking them since the water will never get hotter than 212 degrees F even if the oven is hotter.
Seems to me that chicken at 212 degrees F would be overcooked.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Poached chicken breasts in nothing but water would persuade a person to never eat chicken again.

It's done when it's white all the way through. I'm not sure overcooking will matter because it won't taste like much no matter what.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

retiredjg wrote:
livesoft wrote:And one can put a pot of water in the oven full of chicken breasts and cover them, too. I just don't see a way of overcooking them since the water will never get hotter than 212 degrees F even if the oven is hotter.
Seems to me that chicken at 212 degrees F would be overcooked.
Nah, it would be a delicious hard-boiled egg after cooling off. And sterile, too.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I use the Cooks Illustrated recipe for poaching chicken breasts (can Google for this online; the original is behind a paywall but plenty of copies out there.) It seems complicated (uses a short brine) but is super easy (as long as you have a meat thermometer). Depending on the desired use, I usually eliminate the soy sauce and sometimes the garlic. The meat comes out really tender and moist, never overcooked.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Sounds god awful - especially made by a vegan. Just go to KFC and play ignorant.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

adamthesmythe wrote:Poached chicken breasts in nothing but water would persuade a person to never eat chicken again.

It's done when it's white all the way through. I'm not sure overcooking will matter because it won't taste like much no matter what.
Poaching is a method for producing soft chicken for use in other recipes, or for people with difficulty eating chicken with a finished surface. It's excellent for chicken to be used in casseroles where other Ingredients need shorter cooking time than advisable for chicken, or for use in chicken salad.
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Thanks all. They asked me to do it plain because it will Then be handed off to a lady making chicken salad and she will permit nobody else to season it. I like livestock's suggestion to try 1 and I will in a small pot. However, in typical Bogleheads fashion, the thread drifted from size to other matters. Reviews of some Skittles at Amazon seemed to indicate that too short might not be good for boiling chicken. So I repeat, i know I need a diameter of 10-12 inches so how tall without being ridiculously tall? My spaghetti pot is 10 inch diameter, and 7.5 inches tall and seems a little high for the task (and it's not non stick).
Last edited by Good Listener on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

dm200 wrote:When I first read the title, I thought of another meaning of "poach", as in

verb (used with object)

Having grown up in agricultural country, I had the same initial read of the title. I thought we'd find a neighbor dispute involving missing chickens or some such shenanigans.

But since this chicken is going to be used in a chicken salad, it is VERY important to get a meat thermometer and cook the chicken to at least 165F. Don't rely on time. Don't rely on color. Rely only on the internal temperature. You do not want to give the people attending the event food poisoning due to undercooking the chicken.

Also, check the accuracy of the meat thermometer in boiling water. It should read 212F once the water reaches a rolling boil. If it reads say 210F, then you might want to cook the chicken until it reads 170F just to be on the safe side. If it's really off, return it and get a different thermometer.

Once the chicken is cooked, package it into air-tight containers and put it into the fridge right after cooking. Most food-safe storage containers can take the chicken straight from the pan and into the fridge. The quicker you can cool it down to 40F or below, the safer it is. You don't need to cool it on the counter.

When transporting to the person making the chicken salad, take straight from the fridge and get it over as quickly as possible. Transporting it in ice chest with ice is advised if you have hot weather or the trip will take a while.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Good Listener wrote: I like livestock's suggestion to try 1 and I will in a small pot.
I'm so sorry to make fund of what you said, but this is the funniest name mistake I've seen in a long time. Mooo..... :D :D :D
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Good Listener wrote:Reviews of some Skittles at Amazon seemed to indicate that too short might not be good for boiling chicken. So I repeat, i know I need a diameter of 10-12 inches so how tall without being ridiculously tall? My spaghetti pot is 10 inch diameter, and 7.5 inches tall and seems a little high for the task (and it's not non stick).
The depth does not matter as long as the chicken is immersed in water, either by dunking it entirely or by turning it over. Your spaghetti pot is just fine. Non stick does not matter for boiling.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

U-tube knows everything. Here's one of many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf21jqnqi7M
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

retiredjg wrote:
Good Listener wrote: I like livestock's suggestion to try 1 and I will in a small pot.
I'm so sorry to make fund of what you said, but this is the funniest name mistake I've seen in a long time. Mooo..... :D :D :D
And that is what Android does on occasion. I need to check better. The delivery will be in real time to the lady making the chicken salad. But as soon as I make it it will go to the frig. You are great folks, thanks.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I created this category:

https://sterbalfamilyrecipes.miraheze.o ... ng_recipes

on my recipe wiki.

Please note that the ingredients and basic preparation of a recipe is not copyrighted, though the photos and comments accompanying them are subject to copyright.

Here are the two recipes mentioned so far:

How to Poach Chicken Breasts
source: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-poach-c ... tchn-28367

Ingredients
1 - 4 skinless chicken breasts, on or off the bone as preferred
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
Aromatics: smashed garlic, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, sliced ginger, fresh herbs, thinly sliced onions, or any other flavorings
1 cup white wine, optional for more flavor

Directions
  1. Place the chicken and aromatics in a pot: Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. It's fine if they overlap a little, but they cook more evenly if they are in a single layer. Scatter the salt and aromatics over top.
  2. Cover the chicken with water: If using wine, pour this over the chicken first. Pour in enough cool water to cover the chicken by an inch or so.
  3. Bring the water to a boil: Place the pot of chicken on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil. You'll see some white scummy foam collecting on the surface as the water comes to a boil — if you'll be using the poaching liquid for a soup or other recipe, you can skim this off; otherwise, it's fine to leave it.
  4. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook: As soon as the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the chicken simmer. Begin checking the chicken after 8 minutes: it is done when opaque through the middle and an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F. Chicken will typically finish cooking in 10 to 14 minutes depending on the thickness of the meat and whether it is has a bone.
  5. Remove from the poaching liquid: Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and place it on a cutting board.
  6. Serve or store the chicken: Poached chicken can be served hot, room temperature, or cool. It can also be served whole, or it can be sliced or shredded as per your recipe. If you cooked your chicken with the bones, you can pull or cut away the bones, return them to the pot with the poaching liquid, and simmer until the liquid is reduced. Once strained, this is a quick chicken broth that can be used for soups or rice.

Perfect Poached Chicken Breasts (Cook's Illustrated)
source: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/membe ... d-52948211

Ingredients
4 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

Directions
  1. Cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound thick ends gently with met pounder until 3/4 inch thick. Whisk 4 quarts water, soy sauce, salt, sugar and garlic in Dutch oven until salt and sugar are dissolved. Arrange breasts, skinned side up, in steamer basket making sure not to overlap them. Submerge steamer basket in brine and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  2. Heat pot over medium heat, stirring liquid occasionally, to even out hot spots until water registers 175 degrees. Turn off heat, cover pot, remove from burner and let stand until meat registers 160 degrees, 17 to 22 minutes.
  3. Transfer breasts to carving board, cover tightly with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice each breast on bias into 1/4 inch slices, transfer to platter or plates and serve.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Buy the boneless chicken breasts to make it easy on the salad person.

What is the problem with covering all of the breasts with water during the cooking? Does it dilute the flavor? Often the cook would be re-using the flavored water, perhaps without time to boil it down to a smaller quantity, but that is not the case here.

I would cook them all in one batch, in the spaghetti pot. Depending on how they all fit into the pot, turn them with the thickest side or the thickest edge down. Cover them with water, then the pot lid, and boil them until the meat thermometer reads good on each one. While cooking, use tongs to separate them from each other, in order to avoid cold spots. Note that they will be chopped into the salad, so it is okay to slice into a cooked one to check the runny juice for any color indicating lack of complete cooking. I suppose it is a faux pas to cut them in half length wise beforehand, to speed up the cooking.

Move all of the chicken packaging (especially the diaper) out of the house as it will stink within a day. Plan B is to put it in a sealed bag in the freezer until trash day. You can cut the Styrofoam tray into nesting pieces for it to fit into the bag.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

heyyou wrote:Move all of the chicken packaging (especially the diaper) out of the house as it will stink within a day. Plan B is to put it in a sealed bag in the freezer until trash day. You can cut the Styrofoam tray into nesting pieces for it to fit into the bag.
Putting the wrappers in the freezer is my Plan A in this area during the summer. The last thing you want when taking trash out to the exterior can is the stench of chicken wrappers that have been stewing in 100F+ weather for a day or more. I actually have a designated "freeze for trash day" container in my freezer, because there's more than just chicken wrappers that will stink up the exterior trash can in this weather.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I poach chicken breasts in a covered frying pan. It doesn't take much water at all because the chicken has so much of it's own juices. First I wash all the chicken breasts in cold water and stuff the frying pan full. I cover all the chicken with seasoning. After a little while I pour out most of the fatty liquid, turn the breasts, maybe season them some more, and then let the juice reduce to brown the breasts a bit. Yummy. Makes a good supply. -- Tet
Last edited by tetractys on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Your folks are great. Thank you. I will report on the results.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Forget cooking them. Buy the cooked rotisserie chicken meat they have at Costco the same day and repackage them. They will already be shredded and the salad person can just toss them in. If asked, just fess up that you are vegetarian and have never cooked chicken. Poaching a single chicken breast is not hard but when you have 9 lbs to do it will be more complex. The more chicken you try to put in the pot, the quicker the water will cool down and may not cook the chicken through. If you insist on cooking it, then invest or borrow a sou vide machine. You can sou vide 9 lbs of chicken breast in a large tub.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

dm200 wrote:When I first read the title, I thought of another meaning of "poach", as in

verb (used with object)

Yep, I was going to post .... just save up enough and PAY for one :D
BL

Post by BL »

Google "poaching chicken" for lots of good info:
https://www.google.com/search?q=poachin ... e&ie=UTF-8

I saw some recipes as shown earlier here.
My take would be to get a covered fry pan or electric frypan and have a meat thermometer to check for doneness. You can Google the temp for chicken to be sure to reach so you avoid the serious food poisoning.
They suggest spreading out one layer of chicken and covering with water 1 inch over the chicken.
A 12-14 inch pan (width of burner) with cover should work fine to get the most chicken in a single layer. Be prepared to do it as many times as you need to do a layer at a time. You want it to heat up quickly and reduce heat to a simmer for cooking. There are probably suggested times in some recipes but use the thermometer to double check.
The advice about refrigerating promptly is important. Avoid food poisoning by fully cooking to specific temp and promptly cooling and keeping cool at all times.
Good luck!
I just had some chicken at a hotel banquet which I now believe was poached. It was very tender and nicely flavored.
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

harrychan wrote:Forget cooking them. Buy the cooked rotisserie chicken meat they have at Costco the same day and repackage them. They will already be shredded and the salad person can just toss them in. If asked, just fess up that you are vegetarian and have never cooked chicken. Poaching a single chicken breast is not hard but when you have 9 lbs to do it will be more complex. The more chicken you try to put in the pot, the quicker the water will cool down and may not cook the chicken through. If you insist on cooking it, then invest or borrow a sou vide machine. You can sou vide 9 lbs of chicken breast in a large tub.
Harry,
Costco and other rotisserie chickens are loaded with Na and other stuff. The salad-making lady warned me. I won't make 9 pounds at one time. The plan is 3 pounds at a time x 3, about 6-8 of the Costco breasts each time I checked today. Costco sells the skinless, boneless breasts in 9 pound packages, each one consisting of of 6 smaller packs held together , that can be individually torn off. So about 1.5 pounds each. So each 2 packs which contain 4-6 breasts will be 3 pounds. To complicate matters, right next to the breasts are similar looking packages called tenderloins. A nice young lady told me when I asked that it was similar, just a lower part of the pectoral muscle and containing a tendon, but the tendon wouldn't be a factor once cooked. For some reason the tenderloins are a few cents more per pound so I'm inclined to get them knit will check with the salad making lady who I predict will say no.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Yeah, the OP is making this for someone else and has explicit instructions on how to proceed. I think recommendations to deviate from that is not a good idea. Of course, I think the OP should have restricted the original offer to vegetable dishes, but that's come and gone.
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Final summary. Cheated a little. My cleaning lady was here today and she is or Central American origin and is great at cooking. She stayed an extra 2 hours with me to help me.(I paid her extra a lot.). It was poached in my spaghetti pot and there was no problem. I am glad you're all not worried. I then delivered it to the lady making the chicken salad and good Lord, never again. She is so neurotic although I know that is incorrect to say.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thanks for the update. Hope the chicken salad turns out well. :happy
mouses

Post by mouses »

I would have said, sorry, I'll make something vegetarian.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

A similar low fat style to poaching chicken could be done in a crockpot with water and it turns out wonderful. We add fresh store-bought salsa and lime juice and then when its done, we shred it. Way better than poaching in water, which is tasteless and pretty awful. Here is the recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-co ... sa-chicken

We have made this many times, always turns out great.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

Good Listener wrote:Thanks all. They asked me to do it plain because it will Then be handed off to a lady making chicken salad and she will permit nobody else to season it.
This is a very complicated operation.

Anyway, it sounds like you can use your spaghetti pot but just fill it up with less water.
LAR

Post by LAR »

The person making the "chicken salad" should have poached the chicken themselves.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I have to politely ask, why did you as a vegetarian agree to cook a meat dish? I have been a veggie for 20 years and personally I would not agree to cook something I'd a) have no recent experience cooking and b) be unwilling to taste. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Elsebet wrote:I have to politely ask, why did you as a vegetarian agree to cook a meat dish? I have been a veggie for 20 years and personally I would not agree to cook something I'd a) have no recent experience cooking and b) be unwilling to taste. :)
Else, that is easy. I was stupid for accepting this entire assignment. I may as well have accepted shooting a chicken before poaching it. :oops:
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

In your defense....when you volunteer without restrictions, it could be awkward to say..."well no, I don't want to do that". I'm sure you've already figured out that next time, you say something like "I could bring a salad or vegetarian dish" rather than "How can I help?"

I think you handled it with grace and applaud your efforts to learn how and what to do and somehow get the assignment done, even though it might have been distasteful to you.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Good Listener wrote:
Elsebet wrote:I have to politely ask, why did you as a vegetarian agree to cook a meat dish? I have been a veggie for 20 years and personally I would not agree to cook something I'd a) have no recent experience cooking and b) be unwilling to taste. :)
Else, that is easy. I was stupid for accepting this entire assignment. I may as well have accepted shooting a chicken before poaching it. :oops:
IMHO Good Listener, you're a good person for volunteering to take this on and getting the help needed to see it through. Next time, you'll know to volunteer a pasta dish or other vegetarian fare, but consider this a "live and learn" sort of situation rather than a mistake.
Topic Author
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

Project done. This morning I received a $40 new non-stick 10 quart 6 inch tall pot from Amazon. It is red which is my favorite color. I cooked them all up, and it worked out fine. I did cheat and have a neighbor of mine come in and supervise. But the item is now delivered to the salad maker lady. I will go to the event and see what the ultimate product is. There is a very positive aspect of this. As a 64 year old man who has never cooked other than microwaving. I got pleasure out of this. Today I ordered multiple cooking utensils and accessories from Amazon. I also looked at many YouTube options for making various things. So there is good out of all of this. I am also going to add $250 extra donation to the charity just because it went well. Thank you everybody.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

One of the old Alton Brown shows had an episode on poaching fish, and the gist of that was to create a poaching liquid that was kept at the final temp for the fish, like 140F or something. Then it would be impossible to overcook. I thought about that for chicken breasts, and tried to get the electric stove to set on a poaching temp of 165F or so. It was much more difficult than I had predicted. I would overshoot one way or the other with small changes in the setting.
bpp

Post by bpp »

dm200 wrote:When I first read the title, I thought of another meaning of "poach"
Indeed. There is no need for poaching, when one can just wait for chicken-hunting season and bag 'em legally.