Need WIFI repeater or second router Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ddurrett896

Need WIFI repeater or second router Advice

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Currently have Verizon FIOS with their provided router and have terrible WIFI on the other side of my house - maybe 50 feet away.

I've read I can do a repeater or add a second router that is connected with a Ethernet cable. The reviews on repeaters are iffy and there appears to be a lot of setup with a second router.

I'm sure someone has had this same problem. What did you end up doing and can you recommend equipment or what you did that works? Thank you!!!

ADDED: Router is 2 years old. Model MI424WR
Last edited by ddurrett896 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidney

Re: Need WIFI repeater or second router Advice

Post by Sidney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:44 pm

I would replace their router with a better one.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:07 pm

I used a wifi repeater (very good one, $100+) with so-so results in my house. Dunno why, but it would work terribly about 20% of the time - didn't know if it was weather, etc.

I have since switched to the Google mesh network system with 2 pods, and it works flawlessly 100% of the time - the signal is so strong that I even get HD video signal in my garage now, whereas before I got zero bars, even with the repeater situated 2 walls away <15 feet away.

Just remember if you do go this route that your older internet devices may need an upgrade to 802.11ac standard to work reliably. My 7-yr old laptop that worked fine with a regular router, kept dropping the internet on Google wifi every 10 mins. Then I spent $30 for a USB 802.11ac dongle that I stuck into the usb port of the laptop and it's blazing fast, all the time.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:13 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:Currently have Verizon FIOS with their provided router and have terrible WIFI on the other side of my house - maybe 50 feet away.

I've read I can do a repeater or add a second router that is connected with a Ethernet cable. The reviews on repeaters are iffy and there appears to be a lot of setup with a second router.

I'm sure someone has had this same problem. What did you end up doing and can you recommend equipment or what you did that works? Thank you!!!
ddurrett896,

If the router is more than 1 year old, complain to them and get a new one from them. It should be a free upgrade. Usually, the problem will be solved. This works for me and my brother-in-law. The newer router has better and improved wifi capability.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

41fan

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm

lightheir wrote: I have since switched to the Google mesh network system with 2 pods, and it works flawlessly 100% of the time - the signal is so strong that I even get HD video signal in my garage now, whereas before I got zero bars, even with the repeater situated 2 walls away <15 feet away.
I have looked at this, and seems like all I would need is two, but they're only sold by Google as singles or in 3's. How did you purchase yours?

Can you buy two singles and they will automatically connect, or do they need to be "out of the same box" to work together?

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:18 pm

lightheir wrote:I have since switched to the Google mesh network system with 2 pods, and it works flawlessly 100% of the time - the signal is so strong that I even get HD video signal in my garage now, whereas before I got zero bars, even with the repeater situated 2 walls away <15 feet away.
Second vote for this. I had a nice WAP that worked well when I lived in a 500 square foot space. It struggled a little in my 710 square foot apartment and I don't know what I was thinking trying it in a 1500+ square foot house! I now have a Google mesh (I could have gotten away with two pods, probably, but my cable modem is at the midpoint of the house, so I'm using three to comfortably cover everything) and it's amazing.

It does... everything. I can even see who is on it from my app when I'm not home. I can set up an easy guest network as desired. That sort of thing.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm

A decent router should be able to transmit 50 feet or more. I can pick up a signal outside more than 50 feet away and it is going through a brick wall. My router cost me $20. I'm due for an upgrade since they don't do firmware updates anymore but otherwise it works fine. I'd look at replacing the router first. You can get a decent router for under $100 - check out TPLink. I use them at 10 sites for TaxAide.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:35 pm

[quote="KlangFool"

If the router is more than 1 year old, complain to them and get a new one from them. [/quote]

updated original post

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:Currently have Verizon FIOS with their provided router and have terrible WIFI on the other side of my house - maybe 50 feet away.

If you are able to run an ethernet cable to the location of the home where you have problems, then you fix this very cheaply. Buy a cheap second router (like a $20 or less linksys), connect it to the ethernet cable, and set it up in Bridging mode. This way, you will have the same SSID (network) across the 2 routers.

I have done this with 2 linksys routers and it works fine.

Rwsavory

Post by Rwsavory » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Google Wifi works great. You can order it on Amazon. Problem solved. :beer

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:44 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:[quote="KlangFool"

If the router is more than 1 year old, complain to them and get a new one from them.
updated original post[/quote]

ddurrett896,

MI424WR is a very old router. Complain to Verizon and get a newer model. The problem will be solved.

KlangFool

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:59 pm

41fan wrote:
I have looked at this, and seems like all I would need is two, but they're only sold by Google as singles or in 3's. How did you purchase yours?

Can you buy two singles and they will automatically connect, or do they need to be "out of the same box" to work together?
You can purchase singles, or in 3's. Yes, you could buy 2 singles separately and add to your network piece meal. That said, buying 3 costs $299, buying singles is $129 per.

+1 for KlangFool. Try getting a new (free) router from Verizon first.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Our $50 LinkSys E1200 seemed to work just fine for years, including serving video wirelessly to the "smart TV" we bought a few years ago. It's downstairs. My wife moved her desktop computer upstairs and to the extreme other side of the house. Even though our tablets and phones seem to connect to WiFi fine upstairs, her computer didn't.

I bought a $50 Netgear N600 "Range Expander" and put it in the obvious place--downstairs, but on the extreme other side of the house.

Rather to my surprise, it worked just fine and solved the problem... and setup was easy... and it remembers the settings when the power fails.

I can't give you details on feeds and speeds and we're not doing anything super high speed. When I go to a "speed test" website, the results I get running it from my wife's computer via WiFi over the "range extender" is essentially the same as I get on my own computer which has a wired connection.

Yes, I'd buy at a place known to have good return privileges, but I'm just saying... I bought the obvious $50 gadget and it solved the problem and the problem has stayed solved.

If you have six family members streaming six different HD video programs all at the same time then, I dunno, you might need to research the specs and the bands and so forth more than I did.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Sidney wrote:I would replace their router with a better one.
+1, try an R7000. Affordable and excellent.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Goal33 wrote:
That gets very good reviews.

I always like the way this one looks -- probably powerful enough to keep a muffin warm. I have no use for this much router though. My ISP tops out at 8mbs on a good day.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/deta ... D7200.html
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm

cheapskate wrote:
If you are able to run an ethernet cable to the location of the home where you have problems, then you fix this very cheaply. Buy a cheap second router (like a $20 or less linksys), connect it to the ethernet cable, and set it up in Bridging mode. This way, you will have the same SSID (network) across the 2 routers.

Just ran a 75' ethernet cable to the other side of the house for a Smart TV box. Would have no problem using this for a second router then buying a 3' for the Smart TV box.

How do you access bridging mode? I'm good with the physical component hookup, but not the tech part. Thanks!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:24 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
cheapskate wrote:

Just ran a 75' ethernet cable to the other side of the house for a Smart TV box. Would have no problem using this for a second router then buying a 3' for the Smart TV box.

How do you access bridging mode? I'm good with the physical component hookup, but not the tech part. Thanks!
ddurrett896,

Before you spend any money, just get Verizon to replace your router with a newer model. It should be good enough.

The newer Verizon wifi router is fast enough that I unplugged my 2 laptops from the cable.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:How do you access bridging mode? I'm good with the physical component hookup, but not the tech part. Thanks!
Usually this requires addressing the router setup by using the gateway IP address in a browser with the router connected to a computer (normally with a cable). There will be something that allows you to select bridging mode. In some older routers it is merely turning off DHCP.

If the second router is not the same hardware as the first, you may find that devices don't automatically connect to the strongest WIFI signal.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

KlangFool wrote:Before you spend any money, just get Verizon to replace your router with a newer model. It should be good enough.
I'd do this first. Bridging two routers is more complicated.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Used to have the exact same Verizon router, and solved this very problem by buying (over a year ago) their new model, called a "Quantum Gateway Router".

It didn't help the problem with wifi coverage, even though it had a lot of fancy specs.

What I ended up doing was relatively simple: bought an Apple Airport Extreme and used it in 'bridge mode' - the Verizon unit still serves as a router, but the Apple unit distributes wireless signal throughout the house.

Others may prefer the newer mesh routers; I've heard that the Netgear Orbi is highly rated.

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
cheapskate wrote:

I followed the instructions in this link : http://www.linksys.com/us/support-artic ... Num=143751

The router I setup in bridge mode is a linksys E1200. I remember buying a refurbished router for less than $20 a while back, but prices seem a bit higher on Amazon now (N300 is $25).

If you can find a cheap linksys router at a local store (with a good return policy), that might be the best way to go. In case you have trouble, you can return it.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm

scooterdog wrote:Used to have the exact same Verizon router, and solved this very problem by buying (over a year ago) their new model, called a "Quantum Gateway Router".

It didn't help the problem with wifi coverage, even though it had a lot of fancy specs.

What I ended up doing was relatively simple: bought an Apple Airport Extreme and used it in 'bridge mode' - the Verizon unit still serves as a router, but the Apple unit distributes wireless signal throughout the house.

Others may prefer the newer mesh routers; I've heard that the Netgear Orbi is highly rated.
scooterdog,

It is possible that you could solve the problem by changing the 5ghz channel. I have to intentionally lower the power of my quantum router in order to prevent my signal to spread too far away from my townhouse.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5ghz- ... -48.22140/

<< I believe you may be a little confused. The power LIMITS for channels 141-161 are 20 times higher (1 watt) compared to 36-48 (50mW), it is not the case that you need 1/20th the power for the signal to travel as far. The difference in signal propagation and attenuation between the 5.2GHz band (36-48) and the 5.9GHz band (141-161) is minimal.>>

KlangFool

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 am

ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0

I replaced a weak router with the above and am happy with the change.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 am

KlangFool, in my case after working with Verizon to troubleshoot the poor coverage from a new device, a technician came out the following weekend.

In my case we had the prior router in an upstairs closet (centrally located, out of the way, cabling and electrical up on a shelf etc.) The technician could find nothing wrong and no improvements to make - he said that it was the location in the closet causing the coverage issues, and that I needed to put it on a table out in the open! :shock:

So I thanked him, said good-bye, bought an Airport Extreme, ran a cable downstairs and the bridged unit is in my office. No complaints at all from the household regarding coverage. (Kids consume an enormous amount of video bandwidth wirelessly these days...)

scooterdog

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am

scooterdog wrote:KlangFool, in my case after working with Verizon to troubleshoot the poor coverage from a new device, a technician came out the following weekend.

In my case we had the prior router in an upstairs closet (centrally located, out of the way, cabling and electrical up on a shelf etc.) The technician could find nothing wrong and no improvements to make - he said that it was the location in the closet causing the coverage issues, and that I needed to put it on a table out in the open! :shock:

So I thanked him, said good-bye, bought an Airport Extreme, ran a cable downstairs and the bridged unit is in my office. No complaints at all from the household regarding coverage. (Kids consume an enormous amount of video bandwidth wirelessly these days...)

scooterdog
scooterdog,

<< he said that it was the location in the closet causing the coverage issues, a>>

1) Moving the router out of closet improve coverage but it may or may not be good enough. This is a standard advice for all WiFi deployment.

2) But, I am curious as to whether he tried changing your router's channel.

3) In any case, your house might be quite big and additional router should help.

KlangFool

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am

yes, size of space matters, along with materials in the way. 50 feet is not a long distance, even with most interior walls (some with metal studs or heavy lath can cause a problem). I have a very long ranch with an L. I use powerline to a second router (bridged). I get about 125mbs across the powerline - to my router and NAS, then 5-8mbs out to the net. The two routers are a matched pair so one SSID works. I need to see if there is a cost-effective upgrade to outbound/inbound speed before I invest any more internally. But 8mbs gets pretty much anything I need so if it cost a lot to upgrade the ISP connection, not sure it is worth it.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:58 am

Goal33 wrote:
Do you use this with FIOS currently? If so, did you just unplug old and plug this in and start using or did it require a call to Verizon tech support? Thank you!!

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:44 pm

I have a couple of older wifi devices laying around because I can't throw away something that works. So attached one in the garage to an ethernet cable and set it up bridged, pointing to my network router. Now I have a strong signal when I'm there. I did this with another old wifi at the far end of the house. Works great and didn't cost anything (I already had ethernet cable run to these locations. These are 802.11 a/b/g devices and I'm not using them for hi speed applications.

boyler99

Post by boyler99 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:00 pm

I agree with the other posters who recommend Google WiFi. The kit comes with 3 wireless routers/repeaters, and it's the best I've ever used (and I've been installing wi-fi systems for 10+ years). All manageable from your iPhone or Android or iPad device. No technical skills needed. Best $300 I ever spent to get my entire home (all 3 levels and detached garage) fully wi-fi enabled:

http://bgr.com/2017/05/17/google-wifi-r ... sh-system/

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:02 am

Goal33 wrote:
I have an R7000 - bought several years ago. I still had plenty of dead spots in my 4700 sq ft home.
I recently switched it to wired only, and added a Netgear Orbi system, with 3 units. This has solved all the dead spots.
I can make Wifi calls from almost anywhere, even outside. I can now stream audio & video to the tablet in my outdoor hot tub (in a wet case) where previously I had no signal.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 am

As some others have suggested, look at mesh wifi systems. Google has one and there are others. I have a repeater and it works okay but can be an inconvenience as you move your device (i.e. laptop, tablet, phone) around the house. Then you often have to re-connect to the closer wifi for a better connection. Mesh systems eliminate this and are very simple to set up an administer.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 am

KlangFool wrote:

ddurrett896,

If the router is more than 1 year old, complain to them and get a new one from them. It should be a free upgrade. Usually, the problem will be solved. This works for me and my brother-in-law. The newer router has better and improved wifi capability.

KlangFool
This and then consider a repeater. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender ... B00NR2VMNC this has worked well for us. With any repeater, the key is placement cause it needs to be in place where it's still close enough to the router to get a good signal.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:55 am

Check out eero.....

Mesh wifi. Flawless and easy to configure. They just came out with version 2 which is faster and less expensive.

https://eero.com/

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:08 am

1) Upgrade router to 802.11 ac. You should be able to get this from Verizon.
2) Make sure your devices support 802.11 ac. You may need to get a USB 802.11 ac wifi adapter if your device doesn't support the ac standard.
3) 5GHz band is faster but has less range. 2.4GHz band is slower but has more range. I had one laptop that kept dropping down to 2.4GHZ even though I had good coverage. I had to force the laptop to use 5Ghz. After that it worked great.
4) If needed look into a mesh router such as Eero or Google. I put in an Eero about 9 months ago and am very happy with it. It is very easy to operate and the network can be conveniently managed from a smart phone. The Google solution is cheaper now. I saw an email earlier this week that Eero is coming out with a new model. Maybe it will be cheaper, too.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:12 pm

We installed an Apple Extreme Router and then need to extend the signal to other parts of the house. We purchased an Apple Airport Express. Installation was easy and everything works very well.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

boyler99 wrote:

I agree with the other posters who recommend Google WiFi. The kit comes with 3 wireless routers/repeaters, and it's the best I've ever used (and I've been installing wi-fi systems for 10+ years). All manageable from your iPhone or Android or iPad device. No technical skills needed. Best $300 I ever spent to get my entire home (all 3 levels and detached garage) fully wi-fi enabled:

http://bgr.com/2017/05/17/google-wifi-r ... sh-system/
+1

I've had wifi issues in my 3 level home for some time now. I have an Airport Time Capsule and was using an extender and it still wasn't enough to cover all my devices around the house (including my Ring doorbell and floodlight cams). I decided to buy the 3 unit Netgear Orbi 2 weeks ago. I had all sorts of issues trying to set it up and found Netgear's tech support to be awful (as far as responsiveness). Plus, in reading the Netgear Orbi support forums, I noticed there were a lot of unhappy customers as Orbis have been having lots of problems dropping connections.

I returned the Orbi to Costco and decided to try the Google Wifi (3 unit package) based on the reviews I read. I just installed the Google system over the weekend and I can honestly say that I am amazed. I have never had wifi like this throughout my whole home. The speeds and reach are excellent and all my devices have a strong signal. The setup was also a breeze...definitely intended for network/IT novices like me.

I truly cannot recommend the Google Wifi system enough. They're sold on Amazon and at Best Buy...I think they're on sale right now as mine was $274.99 (instead of the normal price of $299.99 I believe).

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm

yolli71 wrote:
I truly cannot recommend the Google Wifi system enough. They're sold on Amazon and at Best Buy...I think they're on sale right now as mine was $274.99 (instead of the normal price of $299.99 I believe).
Did you use with FIOS? Also, did you still use your current router? Thanks!

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm

get a cheap secondary router ($50) and connect it via ethernet to your primary router. newer homes have cat5 cabling for telephone so you can use that port (with some basic rewiring).

thats what i did.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
yolli71 wrote:
Did you use with FIOS? Also, did you still use your current router? Thanks!
No, I use Cox Cable. However, in reading the reviews I recall a number of people mentioning they have Verizon Fios.

I do not use my Apple Airport router anymore. You could still use your current router if you wanted to, but I elected to just use the Google device as my router (along with the 2 satellite units). I don't think my router would work as well as the Google router, and I also like how you can check things like the strength of your connections, the internet speeds, usage stats, etc. by using the Google unit as the main router (this can be done through the Google wifi app).

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 pm

jebmke wrote:I use powerline to a second router (bridged).
+1
I live in a 3 story townhome with the modem and primary wireless router on the top floor. I'm usually in the basement where I have computer, game consoles, HDTV, etc. Getting a consistent wifi signal never worked well and putting everything downstairs/middle floor wasn't an option.

I've tried repeaters and several routers and nothing worked well. Then I discovered powerline networking which solved all my problems.

Powerline networking turns an electric outlet into an ethernet port. Hook one powerline adapter to your main router and another one in basement or whevever you need and boom. Add a switch and you can hardwire any non mobile devices which is always better than wireless. I bought a second inexpensive wireless router (turned off the routing function) and connected it to switch and set it up as a wifi access point in the basement. That way my mobile devices can connect to that access point instead of the one upstairs.

They do make powerline adapters that have integrated wifi access points as well which someone mentioned up above, but I prefer to keep them separate.

xzhou

Post by xzhou » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 pm

For a one-story house, a mirror placed behind the WiFi router can increase signal strength in the line of sight tremendously. The signal easily penetrates one interior wall, but not two walls or large furnitures.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 am

I haven't read all of the responses so far...

Buying your own router will probably fix your problem. I've got this one and I've been very happy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DD0I6/

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:53 pm

I haven't read all of the responses either, but I can tell you that running multiple APs with hardwired 1Gbps cat6 Ethernet home runs is going to be the fastest. Not the easiest, but 'best'. If you have any IT skills as all, it's not that hard to flash an old router with open source firmware that will allow it to function as an AP (or wifi repeater, if that's your wish).

Short of that, I've found the Netgear Nighthawk (e.g. AC2350) to have the best single device range. But don't expect miracles.

Google wifi works and is 'cool', but I'd be a little nervous investing in multiple devices/pods in hopes that Google never kills their backend. Feels very 'beta' to me. And since the Google wifi is dependent on their cloud-based mgmt portal, you are too. Also given Google's rep, I'd be a little nervous about what insights/liberties they take in delivering their service, from a privacy perspective.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:I haven't read all of the responses either, but I can tell you that running multiple APs with hardwired 1Gbps cat6 Ethernet home runs is going to be the fastest. Not the easiest, but 'best'. If you have any IT skills as all, it's not that hard to flash an old router with open source firmware that will allow it to function as an AP (or wifi repeater, if that's your wish).
I'd check the firmware web site to make sure the model being flashed will run the firmware.

I'm not sure that firmware changes are even needed. I usually just turn off DHCP, make sure the gateway address of the slave doesn't conflict with the master router and check the channels to make sure there isn't conflict there. All this can be done in existing firmware.

ryoung

Post by ryoung » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Another vote for Google Wifi, it just works. I bought a 3 pack for our house and was able to to get coverage into the pool house as well. There isn't a lot of settings, or fancy stuff - it's more plug-n-play. I like that if I'm not at home and they are complaining about the internet I can use an app to check the latency, connection between the access points, and internet connection speed all in one place.

Another benefit is that it really is one consistent network, so I don't have to have separate routers on the same SSID w/ the same passwords and fake that it's all one network.