Happy Fathers Day - got me a used Weber grill!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
41fan

Happy Fathers Day - got me a used Weber grill!

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I hope this story is kinda Boglehead-ish...

Last weekend, I tried uncovering a "Charmglow" super duper whiz-bang stainless hand-me-down gas grill that my in-laws had given us a year or two ago and it was rusting to the point of falling apart. The heat shields were falling apart (one broke in two) and the grates were rusting and actually SPLITTING.

My wife suggested I pick out a new gas grill for Father's Day / my birthday. Not being too familiar with all of the options, I spent a while reading reviews - at Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, and kept coming back to Weber.

HOWEVER, a new Weber is way more than we were wanting to spend. I had finally convinced myself and my wife that the cheapest Weber - a Spirit E-210 - would be big enough for our family of 4. I still wasn't comfortable though with dropping $400+ tax on a new grill for myself (what can I say, I'm cheap), although by reading reviews I knew I wanted to buy quality once instead of another shiny piece of crap that would rust out in 2 years.

So this week I tentatively prowled Craigslist searching for Weber grills, and found someone selling a 2-year old Spirit E-310 - a size bigger than the $400 E-210 we had been wrestling with - for the princely sum of $250. I went and checked it out. He offered the (nearly empty) propane tank, a new grill brush, and a cover with it too. It fired on up, the ignitor worked fine, grill got up to 550°F+. I offered $200 cash, and he accepted. :D

There is a slight amount of surface rust just beginning on the stainless table surfaces and the control panel, but I'm going to hit them with some oil and 0000 steel wool and see if I can remove them. Even if I can't, I'm only a month or two ahead of when a new cheaper grill would start developing rust. Aside from that, I just saved a bunch of money, got a ~$500 grill for the price of the disposable ones, and it's a good week!

Am I crazy for buying a used grill on Craigslist as my Father's Day gift?

Happy Father's Day everyone! :sharebeer

Greentree

Re: Happy Fathers Day - got me a used Weber grill!

Post by Greentree » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Not crazy at all. I don't know why gifts have to be new. I asked for a backpack from Craigslist last year because new they were $250, and Craigslist they were $50. I felt bad having my wife waste the money.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm

I second that. Plus, you've now got a Weber, which will last you many years, and have the satisfaction of re-using something perfectly good instead of landfill the old + buy new. :happy

41fan

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Greentree wrote:Not crazy at all. I don't know why gifts have to be new. I asked for a backpack from Craigslist last year because new they were $250, and Craigslist they were $50. I felt bad having my wife waste the money.
That's the way I felt. I buy used vehicles, why not a 2-year old grill? I saved 60% off of new. If Webers really last 10+ years, it's got a lot of life left in it.

You should have heard my wife when I told her I wanted to look at a grill on Craigslist... "Well OK, as long as you can be happy with a used grill, it's fine with me..."

41fan

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Bengineer wrote:I second that. Plus, you've now got a Weber, which will last you many years, and have the satisfaction of re-using something perfectly good instead of landfill the old + buy new. :happy
Yep, I have found that I get a special joy out of taking someone else's castoffs and cleaning them up, repairing any deficiencies, and getting further use out of them. Part of me hates the disposable trend in society, and I have an appreciation for well-designed, simple and durable products. I really HATED the idea of dropping $200+ on the common "new" grills at Home Depot, only to plan on having to do it again every 2 or 3 years.

My other grill is a Lodge cast iron hibachi charcoal Sportsman Grill. That little thing is STOUT. My kids will probably inherit it, and that's what I love about it. As long as it doesn't rust out (that would take a LONG time), there's really not much on it that should break.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Nice! I've been happy with my Weber. I don't pamper it either, I never clean it and leave it uncovered in the rain & sun.

magicj

Post by magicj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Make sure to keep it clean. My E310 has been Pretty much junk. My parents have had Weber's for 10+ years but the quality has gone down hill. On my third set of flavorizers, second set of burners, second set of grill grates, and just had to buy a new propane line. It stays under a covered lanai, and regularly cleaned. I've only had it 2 years..

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 pm

magicj wrote:Make sure to keep it clean. My E310 has been Pretty much junk. My parents have had Weber's for 10+ years but the quality has gone down hill. On my third set of flavorizers, second set of burners, second set of grill grates, and just had to buy a new propane line. It stays under a covered lanai, and regularly cleaned. I've only had it 2 years..
i've had a very different experience than you. probably not a good idea to generalize a whole company that tends to get very positive reviews off of a single bad experience.

41fan

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Have it preheating right now for grilling some burgers, hot dogs, and chicken breasts for dinner. The insides were pretty filthy when I bought it, but it's cleaned up pretty nicely so far.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:11 pm

magicj wrote:Make sure to keep it clean. My E310 has been Pretty much junk. My parents have had Weber's for 10+ years but the quality has gone down hill. On my third set of flavorizers, second set of burners, second set of grill grates, and just had to buy a new propane line. It stays under a covered lanai, and regularly cleaned. I've only had it 2 years..
That's too bad - I have had my Spirit E-310 for 12+ years and have only replaced the burners and the flavorizer bars within the past couple of years.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I love my Weber Kettle & gasser. Taught me the difference between cheap & frugal. New K-mart gas grill every two years or 1 Weber, well the first one still going strong after 12.
Too soon old, too late smart.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:05 pm

My Weber won't die! I've thought about smokers and other different options, but my Weber just keeps on ticking. I think you made a nice move.

Congrats! :sharebeer

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:
i've had a very different experience than you. probably not a good idea to generalize a whole company that tends to get very positive reviews off of a single bad experience.
I can't speak for the E310, I have the E210 and it's still going strong after 10 years, but then again I don't grill everyday or every weekend. I did manage to set it on fire one year - grease fire. :oops: Nothing that a little baking soda can't handle. :P If I had to do it again, I'd buy the bigger size only because when having a party, a bigger grill does come in quite handy. :)

OP - congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it! :beer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

MPLSTCH

Post by MPLSTCH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:48 pm

If you find a Craigslist Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker (Weber Bullet) BUY IT ! I have had one for years .......smoker holds temp for 12 hours easily, without adding fuel. Smoked pulled pork YUM

terran

Post by terran » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Nice buy! I just sold my 3 year old E-210 for that same $200, so it sounds like you got a better deal than my buyer did. We're moving and don't expect to have the outdoor space for a grill in our next place.

41fan

Post by 41fan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Wow, that's some bad luck. Have you dealt with their customer service about the problems you've had? I'm curious as to what their response is. Their burners have either a 5 or a 10 year warranty, can't remember which.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:48 am

OP, you've done good. Happy Father's Day! The larger 310 will make you happier and that's a good price.

Don't use steel wool on it though! Use a non-scratch scour pad lightly! Bar Keeper's Friend will also help.

Sadly, the new 2017 line of Webers I've seen at Lowes aren't quite as sturdy as the ones made in recent years (unless you get the $2,000 big daddy), so I think purchasing a used one is the way to go.

Enjoy!

JT

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 am

I have a Spirit E310. Bought in 2012 and just gave it its first thorough cleaning. Still going strong and looks great. Flavorizer bars will need replacing soon, maybe next year. Burners might need replacing in another 2 years - just a guess. Cleaning is definitely key, those flavorizer bars and burners would be good for another 5 years if I had kept up the cleaning. Quality is great but, agree, not like it used to be. My first weber lasted at least 20 years and was much sturdier/heavier build. The great thing is they are easy to clean and parts are easy to acquire and replace. I'd actually still be using the old Weber except it blew off the porch during Hurricane Sandy and enough got busted that I decided to junk it. I live outside Philly and still don't understand how that heavy thing blew off the porch. Didn't seem THAT windy.

41fan

Post by 41fan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 am

bottlecap wrote: Don't use steel wool on it though! Use a non-scratch scour pad lightly! Bar Keeper's Friend will also help.
Why no steel wool? I've used 0000 successfully to remove surface imperfections on stainless firearms before. I want to find a way to remove the slight rust and bought some stainless steel cleaner, but it didn't do anything to the rust.

I also have some Mother's Mag polish that I may try if steel wool is a no-no.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 am

Congrats on the great find! Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and buying used.

Now if you dumpster dive behind the grocery store for steaks you need an intervention!

As far as the rust goes aluminum foil is the way to go! Use a bit of oil and scrub the rusty areas with the foil, works like a charm. I just finished cleaning up a motorcycle that had excessive rust using foil. Give it a try, you will be surprised.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 am

41fan wrote:
bottlecap wrote: Don't use steel wool on it though! Use a non-scratch scour pad lightly! Bar Keeper's Friend will also help.
Why no steel wool? I've used 0000 successfully to remove surface imperfections on stainless firearms before. I want to find a way to remove the slight rust and bought some stainless steel cleaner, but it didn't do anything to the rust.

I also have some Mother's Mag polish that I may try if steel wool is a no-no.
Because I'd be afraid of scratching it. Maybe it will be okay, but I figure there's a reason they invented non-scratch pads despite the existence of steel wool!

JT

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm

[quote="41fan"]

Am I crazy for buying a used grill on Craigslist as my Father's Day gift?

Not at all!
I purchased a used Weber gas grill off Craigslist for $45 three years ago and its still working great.
Of course it is quite old ,as it predates stainless and has an enameled type red cover and is only two burner.
But I smile every time I start it up and cook burgers!

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm

I am currently cooking ribs (Alton Brown's "Who Loves Ya Baby Back Ribs" adapted for the grill) on our Weber grill for my husband for Father's Day (our only child is furry and has four paws, but whatever.) We love our grill. May you get many years of joy from yours!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:49 pm

I bought a used Weber 7 years ago at a neighbors moving sale. Humongous 5 burner. $75. The seller said that he bought it at a garage sale 10 years previously. I don't know how old it actually is, but I'm guessing 25 years.

NO RUST. Stainless steel is not supposed to rust. Mine is left outside with no cover in northern Illinois all year. Online reviewers agree that Weber quality has gone down.

The igniters do not work, but I am too cheap and lazy to replace them. Super long fireplace matches work fine.

Ralph

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 am

[quote="ralph124cf"]NO RUST. Stainless steel is not supposed to rust. Mine is left outside with no cover in northern Illinois all year./quote]

Stainless can lose its non-rust characteristic if it's subjected to high heat.

Sounds like you made a good find and got one that wasn't abused. I'm jealous!

JT

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 am

I just refurbished my Weber Genesis 3-burner yesterday:
- Scraped off the crud from the grates
- Scraped the fallen debris from the bottom, was probably a 1" thick layer
- Cleaned burners with a wire brush
- Installed new "flavorizer" bars, $39 from HD. The old ones had developed holes due to rust, exposing the burners. They had lasted ~5 years.

Last year I replaced the igniter. The replacement was also from HD but it had a red button instead of the rubber button on the original.

The cleaning should be done annually, otherwise you risk a grill fire from all the old oil and debris. I've ruined a couple nice sets of steaks over the years by neglecting the cleaning! :|

41fan

Post by 41fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am

sunny_socal wrote:I just refurbished my Weber Genesis 3-burner yesterday:
- Scraped off the crud from the grates
- Scraped the fallen debris from the bottom, was probably a 1" thick layer
- Cleaned burners with a wire brush
- Installed new "flavorizer" bars, $39 from HD. The old ones had developed holes due to rust, exposing the burners. They had lasted ~5 years.

Last year I replaced the igniter. The replacement was also from HD but it had a red button instead of the rubber button on the original.

The cleaning should be done annually, otherwise you risk a grill fire from all the old oil and debris. I've ruined a couple nice sets of steaks over the years by neglecting the cleaning! :|
Yeah, this thing wasn't clean when I brought it home. I cleaned the drip pan, burners and flavorizer bars, grates, and the exterior pretty well. I tried scraping the crud off of the interior of the lid and the sides of the firebox, but that didn't work out as well.

Grilled some snapper and some sweet corn on it for Dad yesterday at lunch and it did fine. Loving this thing so far!