Call Forwarding from Landline to Cell

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Call Forwarding from Landline to Cell

Post by Barefootgirl »

I'm thinking of cancelling my landline with Verizon. This is one of two numbers of I've been using for business, so there is a concern that clients may try to reach me on the landline phone number, even if I try to put the word out.

Does anyone know if we can cancel a landline and still have the calls forwarded to a cellphone (even if a different provider)? I understand there could be a fee associated with the forwarding service...so I guess it means I'd still be "renting" the phone number from the former provider for a certain time frame, 6 months for example.

Anyone familiar with this? Thank you.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
flamesabers

Re: Call Forwarding from Landline to Cell

Post by flamesabers »

Google Voice would be one possible option for you. You would have to port your landline number to Google Voice and then have that number get forwarded to your cell phone. The cost would be $20 to port your number.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/92075/how-to- ... gle-voice/
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

Landline can't be ported to Google Voice. You would need to port your landline to a cell carrier first and only after that you will be able to port it to GV.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

LSLover wrote:Landline can't be ported to Google Voice. You would need to port your landline to a cell carrier first and only after that you will be able to port it to GV.
You can do this with a cheap prepaid cell.
Detroittl

Post by Detroittl »

You used to be able to transfer a phone to another number using "72#" but both lines would have to be active.
AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing »

I'd like to be able to just send an alert to my cell that I missed a call on my "landline" (I use MagicJack). Anyone have any idea how to do that?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Barefootgirl wrote:I'm thinking of cancelling my landline with Verizon. This is one of two numbers of I've been using for business, so there is a concern that clients may try to reach me on the landline phone number, even if I try to put the word out.

Does anyone know if we can cancel a landline and still have the calls forwarded to a cellphone (even if a different provider)? I understand there could be a fee associated with the forwarding service...so I guess it means I'd still be "renting" the phone number from the former provider for a certain time frame, 6 months for example.

Anyone familiar with this? Thank you.
Some years ago, I did something similar for the same reason... didn't want former clients/associates to 'lose me' because I changed phone numbers, but didn't need that extra line.

At that point (no idea if possible now), there was a little known service of the large land-line provider that could "keep a phone number active" but without any actual physical service to any location.
It was sort of like a phantom phone line. The "number" would automatically forward to my other number. There was no way for me to alter than (none of the #72 or such to toggle between forward/not forward or such). It was a permanent set-up, unless I officially had the phone company either discontinue that number entirely, or "connect" it to a "real" physical phone.

Unfortunately, i don't remember what the service was called, and I do remember that I needed to get to several levels above the entry level service reps to have someone understand exactly what service it was that I wanted.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
student

Post by student »

If you have tmobile, perhaps you can consider the possibility of porting it to digits.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-digits