Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
C4NT
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by C4NT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

I just heard about a sizzling deal for cell phone plans on The Clark Howard Show that I thought was worth sharing with the BH community. If you switch to Sprint before June 30 (bring your own phone) you will get a full year of free service! You have to check if your phone(s) is/are eligible on the website. It sounds like if your coming from a major carrier, i.e. Verizon, you will be eligible, but there is some uncertainty about coming from MNVO carriers. I haven't done it yet, as I think I am getting a new phone for my birthday this weekend (at least that is what I asked for :D ).

More information at Clark Howard's website:

http://clarkdeals.com/electronics/sprin ... o-5-lines/

ljw3
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by ljw3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Saw another article on this topic on Cnet: https://www.cnet.com/news/sprints-free- ... the-catch/

The punchline is this:
Fortunately, CNET has taken a close look at this promotion, and while there are some limitations, we haven't found any red flags.
This seems to be the biggest limitation:
Sprint requires that you bring an unlocked phone that you can use with the service (you can keep your number too).
If your carrier gave you a discount on your phone, they they likely won't let you unlock it till you've reached the contract term. Other than that, looks like a pretty sweet deal.

CULater
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by CULater » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Sprint is a CDMA carrier, right? So you will need an unlocked CDMA phone. I really prefer GSM. Are there any unlocked phones that would work with both so that you could switch later on to an MVNO using AT&T or TMOB?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by jjface » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm

The red flags are
-that it was launched once and then pulled. People had issues activating, duplicate order numbers, orders put on hold. I had to cancel my order and decided that I am done with sprint!!
However assuming all that is fixed then ...
-Must be from a postpaid account even though that is in the very fine print and many prepaid numbers are getting cleared (I doubt sprint will be happy with that once the actual port is attempted).
- Taxes are about $5-$10 a month.
- It is Sprint
- Must buy a sim even if you have one. (minor point but still)
- Activation is free but they charge you and then provide a credit later (minor point again since the credit will cover the taxes/fees)

mhalley
Posts: 6057
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by mhalley » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm

The newer iPhones and nexus do both I believe.

https://help.whistleout.com/hc/en-us/ar ... A-and-GSM-

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by jjface » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 pm

CULater wrote:Are there any unlocked phones that would work with both so that you could switch later on to an MVNO using AT&T or TMOB?
These are pure unlocked models that you can use on any of the 4 carriers -
Iphone 6S, 6S plus 7, 7 Plus, some SE and iphone 6 models
Nexus 5x, 6P
Pixel, Pixel XL
Moto g4 play/g4/g4 plus/g5 plus
Moto X pure
Samsung S7 G930u and S7 edge G935U
Essentials phone
moto Z2 play

There are also several unlocked sprint phones that will work on att and tmobile if you happen to have them unlocked. Eg the samsung S6 sprint version will work on tmobile (has bands 2,4,12). It will work on att too.

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 5641
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by triceratop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Here is my understanding of the timeline:

1) Ringplus offers $0/mo. service
2) Sprint kills RingPlus
3) Several months later Sprint offers ~$0/mo. service
4) ???
5) Profit!

You can't make this stuff up!

I have a hard time believing Sprint will ever turn a profit on a large number of MVNO users who will switch; they won't know that until more than a year has passed, which is why it's funny that the Sprint spokesperson says they'll evaluate after a month.

(I'll probably switch if they allow switching from MVNOs; it is cheaper than Tello)


edit: My Sprint-compatible iPhone 5S currently on the Tello MVNO is ineligible. This is consistent with the allowed device list:
What phones are eligible?

Apple iPhone 5C (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 5S (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 6
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Apple iPhone 6S
Apple iPhone 6S Plus
Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone SE
Google Nexus 5 (Verizon only)
Google Nexus 5X
Google Nexus 6
Google Nexus 6P
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Motorola E4
Motorola Z2 Play
Motorola G4
Motorola G4 Play
Motorola G4 Plus
Motorola G5 Plus
Motorola X Pure Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by jjface » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:38 pm

triceratop wrote:
edit: My Sprint-compatible iPhone 5S currently on the Tello MVNO is ineligible.
They specifically state no sprint mvnos. The idea is to get ports from someone that isn't sprint to gain more customers. Someone suggested that it could be useful to boost subscriber numbers in the event of a potential sale. Seems logical and why giving away a free year might not be such a bad idea for sprint. Otherwise what is in it for sprint? The subscriber can port out / cancel at any time with this promo. I'm sure they are not that confident that the majority of new customers will love sprint service and stay on as customers - that is for sure!!

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 5641
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by triceratop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:43 pm

jjface wrote:
triceratop wrote:
edit: My Sprint-compatible iPhone 5S currently on the Tello MVNO is ineligible.
They specifically state no sprint mvnos. The idea is to get ports from someone that isn't sprint to gain more customers. Someone suggested that it could be useful to boost subscriber numbers in the event of a potential sale. Seems logical and why giving away a free year might not be such a bad idea for sprint. Otherwise what is in it for sprint? The subscriber can port out / cancel at any time with this promo. I'm sure they are not that confident that the majority of new customers will love sprint service and stay on as customers - that is for sure!!
I don't see that specifically stated. I do see that the 5S is only an eligible phone if ported from Verizon. But for example if I were using an iPhone SE that would appear to be allowed per the list. Where do you see Sprint MVNOs specifically disallowed?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by jjface » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Fine print
Req. AutoPay, eBill, and port-in from postpaid carrier
Excl. ports made between Sprint or related entities.

Also it requires you to "switch to sprint" and a sprint mvno is still sprint.

I do recall it specifically stated no sprint mvnos at one point but they did pull the promo an then relaunch it - probably changed the wording.

User avatar
C4NT
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by C4NT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm

triceratop wrote:Here is my understanding of the timeline:

1) Ringplus offers $0/mo. service
2) Sprint kills RingPlus
3) Several months later Sprint offers ~$0/mo. service
4) ???
5) Profit!

You can't make this stuff up!

I have a hard time believing Sprint will ever turn a profit on a large number of MVNO users who will switch; they won't know that until more than a year has passed, which is why it's funny that the Sprint spokesperson says they'll evaluate after a month.
Clark Howard, who I originally heard this from, hypothesized that this is an experiment to gain new customers through a promo instead of expensive marketing. Clark thought this was a crazy idea and he is very well steeped in marketing strategies...so we shall see.

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by takeshi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:01 am

ljw3 wrote:If your carrier gave you a discount on your phone, they they likely won't let you unlock it till you've reached the contract term. Other than that, looks like a pretty sweet deal.
While that's can be a handy rule of thumb it has the same pitfalls of any other rule of thumb in that the specifics of a given situation may not fit the rule. Verizon devices, for example, have to be unlocked due to the terms of their 700MHz spectrum purchase a number of years ago. Additionally not all discounts come attached to contracts. My Verizon iPhone 7 Plus came with a significant discount but there's no contract (offer required signing up for a payment plan which isn't the same thing as a contract) and it's not locked.

That said, there is a point in that anyone considering this offer should verify that their device(s) is/are unlocked or can be unlocked. It has been ages since I've been with T-Mobile but back when I was with them they would unlock even while under contract.
CULater wrote:Sprint is a CDMA carrier, right? So you will need an unlocked CDMA phone.
Things aren't so cut and dry these days. A lot of devices now support GSM & CDMA as well as LTE, etc. You have to consider the specific device and not just the types of networks that they support but specific bands as well.
CULater wrote:I really prefer GSM.
Why? The basis for your preference may be outdated.

workingstiff
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:10 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by workingstiff » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 pm

CULater wrote:Sprint is a CDMA carrier, right? So you will need an unlocked CDMA phone. I really prefer GSM. Are there any unlocked phones that would work with both so that you could switch later on to an MVNO using AT&T or TMOB?
You should check out the Moto G line of phones, specifically the Moto G4 Play. If is GSM and CDMA, so it works on all four major carriers. Retail is $149, but you can get the Amazon Prime version for $99 if you are a Prime member. With the unlocked Moto G4 Play, you can take it to any carrier or MVNO, which gives you a lot of flexibility.

mlipps
Posts: 894
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by mlipps » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Spent 4 hours going to Sprint stores, calling, chatting with support, trying to get this set up yesterday. :oops: Never again. Buyer beware. I will stick w/my Verizon plan.

lkt102
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by lkt102 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:31 pm

mlipps wrote:Spent 4 hours going to Sprint stores, calling, chatting with support, trying to get this set up yesterday. :oops: Never again. Buyer beware. I will stick w/my Verizon plan.
I believe it is only available online and not in a Sprint store. I just ordered my new SIM card today and it was very easy. Will report back when the SIM card arrives and I am attempt to port my number from Verizon to Sprint.

https://www.sprint.com/1yearfree

mlipps
Posts: 894
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by mlipps » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:48 pm

lkt102 wrote:
mlipps wrote:Spent 4 hours going to Sprint stores, calling, chatting with support, trying to get this set up yesterday. :oops: Never again. Buyer beware. I will stick w/my Verizon plan.
I believe it is only available online and not in a Sprint store. I just ordered my new SIM card today and it was very easy. Will report back when the SIM card arrives and I am attempt to port my number from Verizon to Sprint.

https://www.sprint.com/1yearfree
Indeed, it is only available online. Unfortunately their website gave me an error message which told me to call and from there no one was able to resolve the issue.

MikeZ
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by MikeZ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Two questions I'm hoping someone knows before I do this.

1. When does The Sim have to be activated? I'd like to do it after July 5th, but I'm okay ordering before that.

2. Can I try the service before porting my old number? My wife who needs her phone as a critical business use would like to try the service before we port her number and cancel the Verizon service.

scouter
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by scouter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

lkt102 wrote:I believe it is only available online and not in a Sprint store. I just ordered my new SIM card today and it was very easy. Will report back when the SIM card arrives and I am attempt to port my number from Verizon to Sprint.
Anyone take advantage of this offer yet? Any info or suggestions on the process would be appreciated.

tidelandp
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by tidelandp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 pm

scouter wrote:
lkt102 wrote:I believe it is only available online and not in a Sprint store. I just ordered my new SIM card today and it was very easy. Will report back when the SIM card arrives and I am attempt to port my number from Verizon to Sprint.
Anyone take advantage of this offer yet? Any info or suggestions on the process would be appreciated.
Lots of comments/tips on slickdeals, https://slickdeals.net/f/10235008-one-y ... -lines-3-5

User avatar
C4NT
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by C4NT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 pm

scouter wrote:Anyone take advantage of this offer yet? Any info or suggestions on the process would be appreciated.
I tried it and they check your credit. Since I have my credit frozen, I have to try to see if I can find out which bureau to unfreeze.

I'll report back if I get anywhere.

Gronnie
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by Gronnie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Wouldn't do it even if they paid me to only use Sprint. Sprint service was terrible just about everywhere I went for the brief time I tried it before switching back to Verizon a couple years ago.

I guess maybe if I lived in a metro area with very good Sprint coverage and rarely went anywhere else.

charis23
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by charis23 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am

I actually used this promotion and switched from Cricket to Sprint this morning. The process was a little more painful than expected. I thought I could go through the process completely online but wound up having to talk to 4 different customer service reps before getting someone that could help. It seemed like a lot of their reps didn't know what this promotion was.

I live in Orange County. It remains to see how the service is but with unlimited text, talk and data for a year it was too good to pass up. I can probably deal with less than stellar service given that I'm saving about $70 a month for two lines.

User avatar
C4NT
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by C4NT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 am

charis23 wrote:I actually used this promotion and switched from Cricket to Sprint this morning. The process was a little more painful than expected. I thought I could go through the process completely online but wound up having to talk to 4 different customer service reps before getting someone that could help. It seemed like a lot of their reps didn't know what this promotion was.
I finally did this last night and had a similar experience not quite as bad. I couldn't do it online because my credit is frozen so I had to call to set it up. I only had to talk to one customer service rep and one person from the credit department. It took about 45 minutes but they sent me the SIM card for free (I think I saved $3!). I still had to pay for shipping.

Hopefully porting my number is a little less hassle.

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by jjface » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Virgin also do a year free if you buy an iphone. https://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop.html
Probably easier to set up.

User avatar
Pranav
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Texas

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by Pranav » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks to this thread, we have initiated the transition process for our family plan.

Some of our phones were still locked with our current carrier, so we contacted them to unlock.

Some of our other phones were incompatible. So, we bought compatible phones.

Today, June 22, we went to sprint.com/1yearfree and entered the each phone's IMEI number and our current phone numbers. Then, we made an online order for SIM cards, which should arrive tomorrow.
Last edited by Pranav on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki

charis23
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by charis23 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Got both DW and my numbers ported over yesterday and my account is all setup online. Still feels too good to be true that they're giving away a year of unlimited service.

Got this notification in my email today too:
You are well on your way to saving over $900 in your first year with Sprint, compared to Verizon's 1-line unlimted plan! You've made a great choice with the Unlimited–Bring Your Phone Plan. We're giving you 1 year of free service (Unlimited Talk, Text and Data) thru 7/31/18, waiving your activation fee, all while keeping your phone and your number, photos, apps and music.
I'll be saving more like $840 but close enough :D

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by F150HD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:04 pm

yea 'Clark Howard' saw some things on his site that once I read the fine print were a bit misleading.

Sprint: note that there is an extra $10 smartphone fee added to every account. Called a 'premium data fee'. This is on top of your plan, whichever you may choose. You'll find trying to buy say 2GB of data ends up costing you much more then listed on their site in their plan list. Its really misleading.

Many of their plans tout unlimited talk/text but this does not include calls to a landline (hospital, 800 #s like VG, even calling Sprint). So you'll pay per minute for calls like that. Its only mobile-to-mobile. This is mentioned nowhere on their site. If you don't specifically ask about it, you wouldn't know.

I bought my phone outright years back from Sprint (older model, was cheaper). Now when I went to switch plans to their 'Unlimited Freedom' which is supposed to be $60 for unlimited everything, they tack on an extra $25 each billing cycle as my phone is paid for. Have been over this with them at least 3 times, its not embellishment.

I got Sprint years back for some reason (free phone or a good deal somewhere along the line) but finding their data plans are misleading. At that, places I've gotten data for years (midwest) I no longer can get data there. Dunno what changed.

Looking at a switch here very soon. Currently researching.

lkt102
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by lkt102 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:05 pm

MikeZ wrote:Two questions I'm hoping someone knows before I do this.

1. When does The Sim have to be activated? I'd like to do it after July 5th, but I'm okay ordering before that.

2. Can I try the service before porting my old number? My wife who needs her phone as a critical business use would like to try the service before we port her number and cancel the Verizon service.

Answer to #2: Not sure if that is possible as you need to port the number from Verizon to Sprint. I tried to log into myVerizon account and received an error message about my phone # no longer being associated with a Verizon account.

lkt102
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by lkt102 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 pm

scouter wrote:
lkt102 wrote:I believe it is only available online and not in a Sprint store. I just ordered my new SIM card today and it was very easy. Will report back when the SIM card arrives and I am attempt to port my number from Verizon to Sprint.
Anyone take advantage of this offer yet? Any info or suggestions on the process would be appreciated.
I completed the activation and ported my number on Wednesday. As others have mentioned it didn't go as smoothly as expected but in my case it was due to an error I made. I entered the pin for my Verizon Cloud account instead of the pin on my account. So my advice is to be sure you know your account # and account pin. Even with having to call in and talk to a rep it only took an hour to set up my account and switch the SIM card. One bonus to calling is that the rep can waive the $30 activation fee and you won't need to wait for 2 billing cycles to be reimbursed.

User avatar
Pranav
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Texas

Re: Free Cell Phone Plans for a Year @ Sprint

Post by Pranav » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Pranav wrote:Thanks to this thread, we have initiated the transition process for our family plan.

Some of our phones were still locked with our current carrier, so we contacted them to unlock.

Some of our other phones were incompatible. So, we bought compatible phones.

June 22, we went to sprint.com/1yearfree and entered the each phone's IMEI number and our current phone numbers. Then, we made an online order for SIM cards, which should arrive tomorrow.
June 23: We received our SIM cards in the afternoon and activated them through the website. Our carrier has been transferred.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki

Post Reply