internet cost saving strategy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
keith6014

internet cost saving strategy

Post by keith6014 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 am

I live in N.Nj. I have 2 internet providers, Cable (Spectrum) and Fiber (Verizon).
We had cable and our promotion expired and it now it costs $75 just for internet. We don't have phone or TV because we simply don't need it. I think thats expensive.

What strategy can I use to lower my internet bill? I called Spectrum and they told me they can't do anything. I called Verizon and their monthly bill will be $69.99 + $10 for modem rental, which too is expensive.

lazydavid

Re: internet cost saving strategy

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:20 am

See if your cable company has a super-minimal TV package. Sometimes it's called a lifeline package. This used to be required by law, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Generally these packages will be cheaper than the package discount you get for having multiple services. For example, back when I had DirecTV, but Comcast for Internet, I signed up for their "Limited Basic" package, which was $11/mo. But that got me a $30/mo discount on my overall bill due to the bundling.

Pfenness

Post by Pfenness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:53 am

A few ideas:
Use your cell data? I have seen people use a MIFI from verizon for home use.
Use your iPhone as an access point? Depends on your cell use and cost.
You could try a the Dish people for a DSL connection?
Share. Talk to your neighbor and ask for the Wifi password and give them a few bucks a month.

keith6014

Post by keith6014 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 am

i will give the life line plan a try.
I sort of need high speed access because I sometimes work remotely which needs high bandwidth.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 am

Pfenness wrote:A few ideas:
Use your cell data? I have seen people use a MIFI from verizon for home use.
Use your iPhone as an access point? Depends on your cell use and cost.
You could try a the Dish people for a DSL connection?
Share. Talk to your neighbor and ask for the Wifi password and give them a few bucks a month.
Using cell data with Verizon will get expensive... you are either paying thought the nose per GB or you have to get their unlimited plan which is a lot more $$$$ than the $69 Verizon FiOS landline ( I think it was over $100 just for the data allowance when I checked last).

This isn't the 90s when we paid $29 bucks for 3Mbps and laughed at people on 14.4k.... really, $69 for high speed internet is not unusual today. Remember Verizon's cheapest FiOS plan now starts at 50Mbps down/50Mbps up.... I have that plan ( I couldn't tell you what I pay as I have a bundle with TV/phone) and it speeds tests well over 60 down most of the time, as you are not sharing the bandwidth with the whole neighborhood like you do on cablemodem.

FYI - sharing the neighbors plan is service theft. Discussing it here will get this thread locked by the moderators.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 am

I also don't think $75 for standalone high speed internet is unusual these days. I just shopped it in my area when considering Direct TV and got quotes of $75 and $90 from the two available providers. You probably have to find a promotion, which is a PITA for existing customers.

spitty

Post by spitty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 am

Yes it depends on the download speed you're getting for your monthly payment. And make sure you have the latest modem and router equipment to maximize it. Finally you have to decide what speed tier you need for your usage; if just paying a few bills, reading emails, and reading news you may not need a fast service. If streaming tv/video you need more. I'd been using a 6 year old router which wasn't the latest standard and gave a slow speed result (about 70 Mbps) when I tested it this winter. Recently upgraded to the EERO system which conveniently keeps itself upgraded. Download speed today is 135 Mbps; I pay $65/month thru Spectrum and this is our only service from them. Hope this helps!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 am

The best way to save money is to switch providers. I can't believe you don't have a choice between more than two internet providers in urban New Jersey. I live in extremely rural America where there is not a stoplight in our entire county and I have a choice between about six to eight providers. I think I would shop around for more choices.

[Edited to add that there appear to be at least five providers for Newark according to this site: http://broadbandnow.com/New-Jersey/Newark]

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:40 am

keith6014 wrote:i will give the life line plan a try.
I sort of need high speed access because I sometimes work remotely which needs high bandwidth.
Perhaps your employer can get you a discounted Internet plan considering that you work remotely?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 am

spitty wrote:Yes it depends on the download speed you're getting for your monthly payment. And make sure you have the latest modem and router equipment to maximize it. Finally you have to decide what speed tier you need for your usage; if just paying a few bills, reading emails, and reading news you may not need a fast service. If streaming tv/video you need more. I'd been using a 6 year old router which wasn't the latest standard and gave a slow speed result (about 70 Mbps) when I tested it this winter. Recently upgraded to the EERO system which conveniently keeps itself upgraded. Download speed today is 135 Mbps; I pay $65/month thru Spectrum and this is our only service from them. Hope this helps!
^^^ And also consider that the ISPs wil try to scare you into thinking you need a lot more speed than you really do. Verizon keeps sending me these notices that since I have more than 4 devices I should really be on the 75Mbos or 100Mbps plan.

Why? Even streaming 1080p only takes something like 5-6Mbps if you look it up. The kids can be watching Netflix, wife downloading a huge piece of software on the home PC and I'm using the work VPN on my office laptop all at the same time on 50/50 without any problems.

We used to have 25/25 and Verizon gave me a 'free' upgrade to 50/50 and I couldn't tell the difference. And honestly it often feels faster than at my office where we have a gigabit pipe (less traffic congestion at home).
Last edited by jharkin on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am

Verizon (and probably all other providers) has a "retention department." Call and ask to speak with them directly. Ask about any discount they can give you. It's worth a try if you haven't already done so.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 am

Have you checked out your DSL options through local phone companies like CenturyLink?

DSL requires having newer fiber optic cable runs in your area (to get faster speeds). That may not be the case. Our house is outside the "fast" zone that has fiber.

Also check for companies that might offer "line of site" wireless internet. We had a great provider that used a nearby water tower. We had a little gadget on our roof. It was 10 mb/s up and down but it was very consistent. No ups and downs that cable sometime experiences. It was only $22/month.

Of course, it didn't last. A new water tower was put up in a different location and the old one was torn down which meant we lost the repeater. The new tower was much farther away.

It is hard to find internet providers. Use the web and maybe even the good old Yellow Pages and see if you are missing any options.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

N8_J

Post by N8_J » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 am

AAA wrote:Verizon (and probably all other providers) has a "retention department." Call and ask to speak with them directly. Ask about any discount they can give you. It's worth a try if you haven't already done so.
I agree with AAA, I have Uverse and when I called to tell them I was leaving because my rates increased and I could get a better deal from Comcast they transferred me to their "loyalty department" and they offered me more speed for less than I was paying. I asked what happens when that rate expires in a year and he said to call back and they would give it to me again.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:32 am

Try billfixers.com

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 am

Better yet; call to "schedule" a disconnect date very nicely. That gets the retention department on alert.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:43 am

BashDash wrote:Better yet; call to "schedule" a disconnect date very nicely. That gets the retention department on alert.
Be careful though. They might actually call your bluff and close your account! :shock:

It might take them a while to get your account reactivated.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

flamesabers wrote:
BashDash wrote:Better yet; call to "schedule" a disconnect date very nicely. That gets the retention department on alert.
Be careful though. They might actually call your bluff and close your account! :shock:

It might take them a while to get your account reactivated.
Yes, and if you read thought forums on DSLreports lots of people claim that the Verizon retention department has started to really clamp down on the offers. This trick is too well publicized and they know most customers are bluffing.

Just like every auto dealer now knows that you already looked up the invoice and holdback online before you even ask for a bid...

trystero

Post by trystero » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm also on Spectrum, albeit in Los Angeles.

After Spectrum bought Time Warner the prices went up and when I called to try and get a price reduction they said there was nothing they could do because I don't bundle services. I was paying $85/month

However, I then went into a Spectrum store and talked to someone in person. They managed to get my rate down to $44.99/month without breaking a sweat. That may help in this case, too.

-Trystero

fittan

Post by fittan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Why rent the modem? Look for a used one on ebay or craiglist (ask verizon for exact model). It is most likely an Actiontech. You can get a used one for around $35. This will save you $120/year.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Just $39.99 for a 50MPS monthly ISP. How much can you save? Can't be zero.

Houe

Post by Houe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I'd love to have a $75 internet bill. We live out in the country and use ATT wireless for internet. Its unlimited and we get anywhere from 10mbit/s to 38mbit/s depending on congestion but it costs $108. I feel fortunate to have found this internet because many of those around me use satellite internet and pay just as much or more for very little data. Its the price we pay for living in the serenity of the country side :) Look into DSL if available in your area you might be able to add a 3rd company into the mix for deals.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm

lthenderson wrote:The best way to save money is to switch providers. I can't believe you don't have a choice between more than two internet providers in urban New Jersey. I live in extremely rural America where there is not a stoplight in our entire county and I have a choice between about six to eight providers. I think I would shop around for more choices.

[Edited to add that there appear to be at least five providers for Newark according to this site: http://broadbandnow.com/New-Jersey/Newark]
That list only has 3 unique providers. 2 of the options are DSL(Classified as high speed but realistically 20mb is about the min needed to truly be high speed for file transfer and HD video) and 2 are cable companies. Xfinity and Optimum don't serve the same addresses. He has the choice of DSL(but probably doesn't want < 3 MB, Cable or Fios.

BTW, N NJ is not just Newark. He's lucky to even have Fios. In my area of N NJ I have an option of DSL or Cable. That's it.

And there is no way you have 6 to 8 providers of truly high speed Internet in your area.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:11 pm

jharkin wrote:
spitty wrote:Yes it depends on the download speed you're getting for your monthly payment. And make sure you have the latest modem and router equipment to maximize it. Finally you have to decide what speed tier you need for your usage; if just paying a few bills, reading emails, and reading news you may not need a fast service. If streaming tv/video you need more. I'd been using a 6 year old router which wasn't the latest standard and gave a slow speed result (about 70 Mbps) when I tested it this winter. Recently upgraded to the EERO system which conveniently keeps itself upgraded. Download speed today is 135 Mbps; I pay $65/month thru Spectrum and this is our only service from them. Hope this helps!
^^^ And also consider that the ISPs wil try to scare you into thinking you need a lot more speed than you really do. Verizon keeps sending me these notices that since I have more than 4 devices I should really be on the 75Mbos or 100Mbps plan.

Why? Even streaming 1080p only takes something like 5-6Mbps if you look it up. The kids can be watching Netflix, wife downloading a huge piece of software on the home PC and I'm using the work VPN on my office laptop all at the same time on 50/50 without any problems.

We used to have 25/25 and Verizon gave me a 'free' upgrade to 50/50 and I couldn't tell the difference. And honestly it often feels faster than at my office where we have a gigabit pipe (less traffic congestion at home).
You right on the speed. Your home should feel faster than the office because it's not shared by dozens or hundreds of people. Plus your network guys may have certain types of traffic prioritized over others. Last thing they want is a bunch of people watching youtube or NCAA tourney slowing down business critical apps.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
lthenderson wrote:The best way to save money is to switch providers. I can't believe you don't have a choice between more than two internet providers in urban New Jersey. I live in extremely rural America where there is not a stoplight in our entire county and I have a choice between about six to eight providers. I think I would shop around for more choices.

That list only has 3 unique providers. 2 of the options are DSL(Classified as high speed but realistically 20mb is about the min needed to truly be high speed for file transfer and HD video) and 2 are cable companies. Xfinity and Optimum don't serve the same addresses. He has the choice of DSL(but probably doesn't want < 3 MB, Cable or Fios.

BTW, N NJ is not just Newark. He's lucky to even have Fios. In my area of N NJ I have an option of DSL or Cable. That's it.

And there is no way you have 6 to 8 providers of truly high speed Internet in your area.
Yea I'll double down on that. In NJ each address has 1 cable provider, you possibly have access to FIOS, and those DSL charges are on top of the cost of a copper wire phone line.

I live in an apartment building and our only options is Comcast. We don't even have phone jacks in the walls.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:04 pm

If you have strong Sprint coverage in your area, could look at something like this:
https://www.4gcommunity.org/

$260 per year for year 1, cheaper down the road.

jjface

Post by jjface » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:20 pm

runner3081 wrote:If you have strong Sprint coverage in your area, could look at something like this:
https://www.4gcommunity.org/

$260 per year for year 1, cheaper down the road.
Second this. Provides unlimited data within reason.

There is a $50 verizon plan from some rv community if sprint isn't as good.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-g ... et_id95023

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
wfrobinette wrote:

Yea I'll double down on that. In NJ each address has 1 cable provider, you possibly have access to FIOS, and those DSL charges are on top of the cost of a copper wire phone line.

I live in an apartment building and our only options is Comcast. We don't even have phone jacks in the walls.
It said on the bottom that "New Jersey is the 1rst most connected state" when it comes to internet. I guess it is proof that you can't believe everything you read on the internet! I still can't believe that we here in the sticks have more options than (N)orthern? New Jersey. At my last house, I even had a fiber optic connection for the internet with 100 mb upload and download. They are installing it in the town where I live now but I expect it will be another couple years before it reaches my area which will give me yet another option for a provider.

Pfenness

Post by Pfenness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm

"FYI - sharing the neighbors plan is service theft. Discussing it here will get this thread locked by the moderators.[/quote]

I am not going to look up the TOS for FIOS and you have a good point but have you seen the WiNOT app for exchanging wifi passwords in NYC? Interesting stuff. Cheers.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm

lthenderson wrote: It said on the bottom that "New Jersey is the 1rst most connected state" when it comes to internet. I guess it is proof that you can't believe everything you read on the internet! I still can't believe that we here in the sticks have more options than (N)orthern? New Jersey. At my last house, I even had a fiber optic connection for the internet with 100 mb upload and download. They are installing it in the town where I live now but I expect it will be another couple years before it reaches my area which will give me yet another option for a provider.
I don't know what they define as "most connected" but if it has to do with speeds I can tell you that gigabit connections are readily available through Cablevision (soon to be Altice), Comcast, and Verizon. FIOS has stopped their rollout AFAIK so if it's not available to you yet, its permanently not available to you. Also even if you have FIOS wiring on the pole, your apartment building usually needs to get X percentage of people to agree to go with the service for Verizon to connect from the pole to the units.

I am currently with Comcast and pay $59.99 + tax ($68.54 total) a month for 25mbps down, 5mbps up. This also comes with HBO GO access. They have 1 lower tier, 10mbps down 2mbps up which is $49.99 + tax. There's also a 1 terabyte/mo limit or else you pay an overage, although we stream netflix/hbo probably 2-3 hours a day and only use around 300gb a month.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 pm

keith6014 wrote:I live in N.Nj. I have 2 internet providers, Cable (Spectrum) and Fiber (Verizon).
We had cable and our promotion expired and it now it costs $75 just for internet. We don't have phone or TV because we simply don't need it. I think thats expensive.

What strategy can I use to lower my internet bill? I called Spectrum and they told me they can't do anything. I called Verizon and their monthly bill will be $69.99 + $10 for modem rental, which too is expensive.
I was on a $50 plan for 1 year which went to $70.

I own my own modem, found on a deal for $30-$40 which paid for itself in a few months.

keith6014

Post by keith6014 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:43 am

kjvmartin wrote:
keith6014 wrote:I live in N.Nj. I have 2 internet providers, Cable (Spectrum) and Fiber (Verizon).

I was on a $50 plan for 1 year which went to $70.

I own my own modem, found on a deal for $30-$40 which paid for itself in a few months.
Same here. It was $50 and went to $75. So that startled me.

Thanks for the great insight everyone. I think I will try to call Verizon and see how much they will charge.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 am

Pfenness wrote: I am not going to look up the TOS for FIOS and you have a good point but have you seen the WiNOT app for exchanging wifi passwords in NYC? Interesting stuff. Cheers.
I'm not aware of WiNOT specifically, but just because lots of people are doing it doesn't necessarily mean its legal.

Lots of people use Kodi on rooted streaming devices to get paid content.... and the likely result is they are going to make the protections more and more inconvenient to legitimate users over time..

Same thing happened with napster, millions of people streaming MP3s for free pushed the industry to build locked down proprietary services and bring high profile lawsuits to make examples of users.

Same thing with the "warez" age of pirated software in the 80s and 90s... The result was that rather than just simple CD keys we are now subject to onerous online activation schemes, heavy DRM systems (if you are a gamer, remember Starforce?) that are a pain to legitimate users and have made reselling used software basically impossible.

the list goes on...

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 am

Another thing to consider is that not all types of internet services are created equal. For example, I "downgraded" from 30 MBPS cable to 6 MBPS DSL with a dramatic improvement in my ability to stream NetFlix. With cable, NetFLix was practically unwatchable on weekends...now I can't remember the last time I saw that damn buffering animation mid-show.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Smorgasbord wrote:Another thing to consider is that not all types of internet services are created equal. For example, I "downgraded" from 30 MBPS cable to 6 MBPS DSL with a dramatic improvement in my ability to stream NetFlix. With cable, NetFLix was practically unwatchable on weekends...now I can't remember the last time I saw that damn buffering animation mid-show.
DSL is a private connection. Where as cable is sharing with all your neighbors.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm

wfrobinette wrote:DSL is a private connection. Where as cable is sharing with all your neighbors.
DSL is private only to your local connection point (DSLAM). From that point on it is shared, just like cable.

Unfortunately, bandwidth constraints can occur ANYWHERE in the path between your house and the web host your are trying to reach. Some ISPs have been slow to upgrade their interconnections with popular services like Netflix.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pm

$75 after tax is what I also pay to Spectrum for 200Mbs down/20Mbps up. I think that is fair for the level I get and will not be changing as long as that price remains. I work from home often just like OP and need my VPN connection to be very fast to work efficiently (or even at all!).

Gronnie

Post by Gronnie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm

new2bogle wrote:$75 after tax is what I also pay to Spectrum for 200Mbs down/20Mbps up. I think that is fair for the level I get and will not be changing as long as that price remains. I work from home often just like OP and need my VPN connection to be very fast to work efficiently (or even at all!).
Man, I would be so happy if Spectrum upgraded our area to 200 down and 20 up. Our only option here is Spectrum 60 down / 4 up for $65/mo and crappy Century Link DSL service. This is in a Midwestern town of well over 100,000 with a world class medical institution and satellite locations for several well known tech companies.

The 60 down isn't so bad but the 4 up is painful. I would rather have something slower and symmetric like 25/25.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Gronnie wrote:
new2bogle wrote:$75 after tax is what I also pay to Spectrum for 200Mbs down/20Mbps up. I think that is fair for the level I get and will not be changing as long as that price remains. I work from home often just like OP and need my VPN connection to be very fast to work efficiently (or even at all!).
Man, I would be so happy if Spectrum upgraded our area to 200 down and 20 up. Our only option here is Spectrum 60 down / 4 up for $65/mo and crappy Century Link DSL service. This is in a Midwestern town of well over 100,000 with a world class medical institution and satellite locations for several well known tech companies.

The 60 down isn't so bad but the 4 up is painful. I would rather have something slower and symmetric like 25/25.
Rochester? Maybe you can "borrow" IBM's wifi signal :P

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

jharkin wrote:This isn't the 90s when we paid $29 bucks for 3Mbps and laughed at people on 14.4k.... really, $69 for high speed internet is not unusual today.
I'm still on 3 Mbps DSL for about that price.

Fortunately, you can do a lot more on 3 Mbps than most people appreciate as long as its stable - streaming at 480 or sometimes better, most online games, light VPN use, etc. Browsing isn't much different than at work, where we have somewhere around 1 Gbps, even in the evening after most people have left. Large downloads can take a while, but I don't actually need to do so frequently, and usually just run them overnight.

All ISP's have different pricing and speeds in different areas, though. The main issue for me is I'm in a semi-rural area. In a more dense area, you can probably get at least 12 Mbps, and in some areas 50+ Mbps, but it will more likely be $40-60 a month.
oxothuk wrote:DSL is private only to your local connection point (DSLAM). From that point on it is shared, just like cable.
Basically, there's one less leg on which congestion might occur. Whether or not it's actually a problem depends on how things are connected upstream of the DSLAM. Since most of the time that's at a central office or at a newly installed intermediate cabinet, there's usually quite a bit of fiber capacity on the upstream side, but not always.