scary phone calls [phone scams]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
denismurf

scary phone calls [phone scams]

Post by denismurf »

Recently I've been receiving 2 or 3 phone calls per day with recorded warnings that my accounts have been subjected to "security breaches" and that I should phone either 888-387-7218 or 877-220-3493.

Has anybody actually phoned these numbers? The results?

I never answer or return such calls, but I admit that I'm curious about them and would contact "the authorities" if I had any idea who "the authorities" are in this situation.

Suggestions?
Bastiat

Re: scary phone calls

Post by Bastiat »

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

denismurf wrote:Recently I've been receiving 2 or 3 phone calls per day with recorded warnings that my accounts have been subjected to "security breaches" and that I should phone either 888-387-7218 or 877-220-3493.

Has anybody actually phoned these numbers? The results?

I never answer or return such calls, but I admit that I'm curious about them and would contact "the authorities" if I had any idea who "the authorities" are in this situation.

Suggestions?
Use Google for these numbers.
The first seems to be a known scam.
Not so sure about the second, but it sure doesn't seem to be a valid business, either.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Do they ask for you by name? That should be a clue.

Compare with the IRS phone scams that immediately launch into their scary spiel to whoever answers the phone. Like everyone at a particular phone number owes taxes or will be taken to court by "the Magistrate". :mrgreen:
IMO

Post by IMO »

They are likely 99.99% scams.

Imagine now elderly people getting these phone calls.

The "authorities" don't care, you're kidding yourself if you think they care. These are inconveniences that you simply need to protect yourself. These things are not effectively treated as crimes.

My elderly mother has one of those emergency alert necklaces. I was home visiting her when she got a call that she had an outstanding bill from the company (and they had/used her name). They wanted her credit card information. My mother didn't give it but got the number and I called back. Amazing how they rehearse the scams. I gave completely fake credit card information to the person I called back and they didn't respond that card information was not valid. I even called the real company to verify she didn't have an outstanding bill. There wasn't even a concern from the real company about putting some type of warning information / notice in the actual bill advising elderly customers that they should not provide any credit or personal information regarding their account via phone calls.

This is the new normal in our society.
celia

Post by celia »

You should be able to screen out these calls and others by telemarketers by signing up for Nomorobo.com

After one ring on your phone, the call transfers to them where I think the caller gets a recorded message. It is free and pretty effective. The calls that are blocked are from phone numbers that have an abundance of outgoing calls. It doesn't block low volume calls like from a friend or doctor's office.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

for us, the latest are phone calls - which we do not answer - that leave no messages. even got one where the caller ID showed my name and my phone number! they are trying to authenticate our phone as being live. also emails with a subject line about security issues at our accounts with each email listing a major financial entity - we do not do business with most of these banks and such yet they need to reset our personal info. lately seems the IRS calls have cooled off.
then there are the calls from "Microsoft" about our malware infected Windows. sometimes answer them because the caller ID looks legit and I simply tell them we are Apple people and thank them for the alert.
the key is do not answer the phone, 99.99% of the time they will not leave a message. and if there is a message to call back and press one to remove your number from their list, that gets you onto more lists.
emails, never unsubscribe, simply direct them to the junk folder. Google their addresses to confirm they are really USAA or Citi Bank or whatever; then respond but never give up your personal info...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

These phone calls are always scams. When actual security breaches have happened at card issuers that I do business with (happened at least twice with Citi that I recall) I got a letter in the mail - the paper kind. The letter would usually say my card has been closed and a new card issued. If it was a password breach the letter instructed me to log in at [bank name].com and change it.

NEVER trust any phone call or email that asks you to provide personal info when you didn't innate the call or login to the publicized legit contact number/address.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Why this is "Scary" to you? anyone can call any number claiming anything!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
whomever

Post by whomever »

We have gotten legit calls that went like: "This is the fraud department at Acme Bank, calling about suspicious use of your credit card. Please call us at 123-456-7890".

I respond by calling the fraud number printed on the back of the card, not the provided number. The 'look up the number or URL yourself' is the important part.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We usually do not get phone calls or Emails which leave messages about account problems, except for the entertaining IRS scam. So there is something new in the works. We notice that many of those cold calls are now from our local area code and area, even with names, mostly on Fridays. Yes, we are also 'elderly'. Scammers probably work from Medicare lists.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

The solution is simple: block + delete.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

With Comcast I can block these phone numbers and NOMOROBO usually catches them before they get through. You can report the phone numbers to the IRS and FTC. Just Google how to report scams.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
J295

Post by J295 »

I just block them on my cell and don't give it another thought.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

likegarden wrote:We usually do not get phone calls or Emails which leave messages about account problems, except for the entertaining IRS scam. So there is something new in the works. We notice that many of those cold calls are now from our local area code and area, even with names, mostly on Fridays. Yes, we are also 'elderly'. Scammers probably work from Medicare lists.
Not all of these contacts are indeed scams.

We *do* get legitimate phone calls/emails/text messages from charge card providers when there is a purchase that they question in real time, when there is some potential concern about whether it is really "us" making the charge.

Usually it IS "us", and the verification is for our protection.

Sometimes it is a charge that has been allowed, but they are bringing it to our attention more promptly than if we waited for a statement (or monitored occasionally online between statements).
Other times the charge is actually disallowed unless we contact them promptly, but this is rare (and could be a real inconvenience if we aren't right at our phone/email/etc., and responding almost instantly).
However, if it IS "us", then in these cases, we are probably not "sleeping" or such, and would get the message immediately.
The occasional problem is if the phone is off, or the ringer is off, and then a message is left - which would be retrieved later.
But... in that case, if the purchase is blocked, we'd either use a different card or contact the toll free number on the back right in the moment.

These are totally different from the emails that say "we need to re-verify your login info, so please login in here [fake link] and re-enter your account information."

This is scary, not for us, but thinking of others who are less alert to the dangers of such scams.

(Thank goodness we now manage all finances for very elderly MIL, who is fully competent - which could change - but just doesn't want to be "bothered" with finances anymore.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I recommend ignoring such phone calls.

If you're really worried about these types of calls, I suggest calling your financial institution using their actual phone number (not the one provided in the phone message) and ask them about the validity of such messages.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

denismurf wrote:Suggestions?
Not sure why this is scary. Use Google as suggested in prior posts. If you're still concerned about your accounts then call the companies that hold your accounts at known good numbers. Block them if you have the tools to do so but scammers quite often spoof phone numbers and/or keep changing the numbers they call from.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Nomorobo gets 95% of these calls on the land line which is good as I have an elderly mother and had to spend the night reformatting her hard drive after she gave remote access to a MS tech support scammer. On my cell I just don't answer unknown numbers I wish I could use Nomorobo on my cell as well
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

sschoe2 wrote:. . . I wish I could use Nomorobo on my cell as well
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

BogleMelon wrote:Why this is "Scary" to you? anyone can call any number claiming anything!

They can threaten some scary things. I have had a real letter from the IRS asking for something like 15k, that is scary to me! :shock: These fake things unfortunately need to be listened to long enough to try to figure out what is happening and if there is a legitimate problem.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

My grandfather once got a call that I was in a jail in a foreign country and he needed to send bail money. He's elderly but he's really sharp so he didn't fall for it.

HOWEVER... he didn't call me until the next day to make sure it was just a scam so that's something we joke about. Like if I really was in a foreign prison it would've been a pretty rough night for me.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Ignore and block. I'm also a nomorobo user - they block many of these.

What's I find scary are the new kidnapping scams that are starting to pop up here and there (one example: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/03/k ... -vacation/ )
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

celia wrote:You should be able to screen out these calls and others by telemarketers by signing up for Nomorobo.com
Not all carriers subscribe to this. Mine, CenturyLink, does not.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

whaleknives wrote:
sschoe2 wrote:. . . I wish I could use Nomorobo on my cell as well
My phone is Android so I am still waiting.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I use Ooma and the number of such calls decreased greatly after they started using Nomorobo and I am able to block the few calls that still come through. In practice it is difficult to report or pursue such callers successfully as they show false numbers and may be in other countries, anyway.

Nomorobo also blocks political calls, which are very annoying in their frequency before elections, especially since most of them are recordings. I wonder if those calls are hurting politicians more than they are helping. I do not vote for a candidate if I receive an unsolicited call asking me to do so.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

1. DO NOT make the calls.
2. Register your number with the Do Not Call Registry (you can google it)
3. The next time you get such unsolicited calls, report the number and time of call in a complaint to the DNC Registry. The frequency of such calls should eventually drop to very minimal.
4. If you can, block the number (this is possible on most cell phones).
5. If you ever do business where they insist on a phone number but you never want them to actually call you (they may sell your number), make one up, Preferably one that does not exist, or even better, one that links to a particularly nefarious business (haha). You don't want some other poor guy to get stuck with your robocalls.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

what a bummer...just tried to add nomorobo and AT&T landlines don't support them. The never-ending calls and hangups are driving me nuts, (and I'm on both DNC state and federal) but I need a landline for business in my area. :annoyed
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

For our android cell phones we use MrNumber. For spammers it (supposed to) ring once and stop. (see below) You can also block numbers. It's essentially a nomorobo for cells. I've used it for several years, as well as nomorobo on our fios landline.

That said, neither MrNumber nor nomorobo work as well as a year ago. So many calls get through now. The National DNC list is a joke. It worked OK for a year or two then several years ago became useless. Those who suggest reporting those who call you to DNC, my advice is don't waste your time.

In the last several months I get more spam on my cell than on the landline. I never give my cell number to anyone except family, yet I now get a call or two a day. Yesterday it was the resort lady and then someone who was investigating a fraud. I answered neither. I saw the details in my Mr.Number screen.

I'm also tired of blocking specific numbers on my cell or landline. They just come back with a new number the next time. This only seems to work in blocking the political calls. I was getting a robo call a month from my congressman to my landline. I blocked his number. But so many calls in the past weeks before a statewide primary.

Just got a landline spam while typing this. Google the number and get 70 complaints about duct cleaning. Guess DNC hasn't caught up with them yet? Followed by a cell call, rang 4x, then shows as a number I'd blocked by MrNumber, shows as car warranty. Guess MrNumber is overwhelmed too.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

BogleFanGal wrote:what a bummer...just tried to add nomorobo and AT&T landlines don't support them. The never-ending calls and hangups are driving me nuts, (and I'm on both DNC state and federal) but I need a landline for business in my area. :annoyed
I just hooked up one of these for my Dad a couple of weeks ago. He was getting calls all day, and now the calls have dropped to nearly zero. He is on a standard AT&T land line.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Call-B ... ll+blocker
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
IMO

Post by IMO »

ResearchMed wrote:
likegarden wrote:We usually do not get phone calls or Emails which leave messages about account problems, except for the entertaining IRS scam. So there is something new in the works. We notice that many of those cold calls are now from our local area code and area, even with names, mostly on Fridays. Yes, we are also 'elderly'. Scammers probably work from Medicare lists.
Not all of these contacts are indeed scams.

We *do* get legitimate phone calls/emails/text messages from charge card providers when there is a purchase that they question in real time, when there is some potential concern about whether it is really "us" making the charge.

Usually it IS "us", and the verification is for our protection.

Sometimes it is a charge that has been allowed, but they are bringing it to our attention more promptly than if we waited for a statement (or monitored occasionally online between statements).
Other times the charge is actually disallowed unless we contact them promptly, but this is rare (and could be a real inconvenience if we aren't right at our phone/email/etc., and responding almost instantly).
However, if it IS "us", then in these cases, we are probably not "sleeping" or such, and would get the message immediately.
The occasional problem is if the phone is off, or the ringer is off, and then a message is left - which would be retrieved later.
But... in that case, if the purchase is blocked, we'd either use a different card or contact the toll free number on the back right in the moment.

These are totally different from the emails that say "we need to re-verify your login info, so please login in here [fake link] and re-enter your account information."

This is scary, not for us, but thinking of others who are less alert to the dangers of such scams.

(Thank goodness we now manage all finances for very elderly MIL, who is fully competent - which could change - but just doesn't want to be "bothered" with finances anymore.)

RM
I think I should also clarify my previous response, as I used to get phone calls from some credit cards to verify if I attempted to charge something. The charge may have been allowed, or it may have been denied. Nowadays, I get text messages that are verifying the charge or attempted charge, typically it's "1 for yes, 2 for no."

These are different from the calls asking for one's personal / financial information.
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

BogleFanGal wrote:what a bummer...just tried to add nomorobo and AT&T landlines don't support them. The never-ending calls and hangups are driving me nuts, (and I'm on both DNC state and federal) but I need a landline for business in my area. :annoyed
:thumbsup Same here with a problematic AT&T traditional landline (not U-verse). My state has abandoned its Do Not Call list, telling people online to just assume that cold sales calls (or worse) are illegal. No one's prosecuting, however; complaints regarding the Federal no call list go into a black hole. Blocking of some kind is the only solution.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
celia

Post by celia »

Pajamas wrote:Nomorobo also blocks political calls, which are very annoying in their frequency before elections, especially since most of them are recordings. I wonder if those calls are hurting politicians more than they are helping. I do not vote for a candidate if I receive an unsolicited call asking me to do so.
You should be able to remove your phone number from voter registration records, but all voters in your household would have to do it. You should do this now since if you forget and wait until the first call comes in, it will be too late as the campaigns will then already have your phone number. They are entitled to see who the registered voters are and how to contact them.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

My fave radio DJ just played a recorded message that he received - the voice says the IRS has discovered fraud on the tax return and is issuing "an arrest warrant in your name." You can see how unsuspecting folks would freak out. I wouldn't be surprised if it sends some recipients to the hospital (or the morgue).
AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing »

I use MagicJack and it's exceedingly rare for me to get calls from anyone but legitimate callers. Just one guy's experience.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

celia wrote: You should be able to remove your phone number from voter registration records, but all voters in your household would have to do it. You should do this now since if you forget and wait until the first call comes in, it will be too late as the campaigns will then already have your phone number. They are entitled to see who the registered voters are and how to contact them.
I asked to have my number removed and it was not possible. I even went so far as to re-register for voting and omitting any phone number from the form. Didn't work. The blocking works well, so I don't worry about it any more.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To keep this forum from being overrun with scams, scams are off-topic.

See this post: Standard Phishing/Scam Threads are now Off-Topic (Oct 21, 2014)

This thread is now locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.