Have you had this issue with Subaru Forester windshield replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tioscrooge

Have you had this issue with Subaru Forester windshield replacement?

Post by tioscrooge »

Hello!

I own a 2015 Subaru Forester 2015. It has eyesight feature.

In the first week after the purchase, while driving a rock hit it and the windshield got cracked with a linear crack immediately. The crack grew rapidly and was soon more than a foot long. Compared to the other cars I have owned, the windshield cracked a few inches from impact to a border (as opposed to a dent like impact with other cars). I had to replace the wind shield at $700. I called several places and I was told that the shops will need OEM glass delivered from the dealership for them to install. The dealership referred me to some shops.

Just now, another rockchip damaged the windshield. Again, cracked from impact to the border (only a few inches), and then extended over the next few days to over a foot. I got a few bids for $400-470 to replace this from local glass stops as well as safelite. Day before appointment, they called and said due to presence of eyesight, they can't use generic windshield and must order OEM glass from subaru for a revised bid of $750. They said only Subaru with eyesight requires OEM glass from the company.

With the other cars I have owned (Honda, Toyota, Volvo), I did not have this problem (Did not have to replace windshield, as rockchips dented, but the cracks were not linear and did not expand).

Are there other subaru owners who have faced similar issues with their windshield? Suggestions?
Whether you think you can or you can not, you will be correct.
Bengineer

Re: Have you had this issue with Subaru Forester windshield replacement?

Post by Bengineer »

Lots of similar stories on subaruoutback.org.

Both the cost and the ease of damage might have something to do with the required optical properties for eyesight.
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

I know with my 2015 Outback they sent out a notice that if you had to replace your windshield, they'd reimburse you up to x amount (don't remember). Not sure if it applies to Forester as well.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

My 2016 Outback has been a magnet for rocks and has had multiple windshield replacements all OEM glass. I'm lucky a friend is an autoglass guy and basically charges me cost. But it's painful.
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

Do you have comprehensive auto insurance? I cancelled my collision insurance 8 or 9 years ago but kept comprehensive insurance, very cheap.

Comprehensive insurance covers glass replacement even if you don't have collision insurance.

The windshield cracked on my 2000 Toyota Sienna van (210,000 miles) & my insurance company paid for the replacement windshield.

bill
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Bengineer wrote:Lots of similar stories on subaruoutback.org.

Both the cost and the ease of damage might have something to do with the required optical properties for eyesight.
I think most likely it has to do with the verification of optical properties. The replacement companies presumably do not know what the requirements of the Eyesight system are, so the only way they can be certain they are not compromising a safety related system is to use the OEM glass.

I very strongly suspect windshields from their regular suppliers would be just fine (as in, Subaru didn't stupidly design a system that can fail to operate due to differences less significant than a dirty windshield), but the last place you want to be is in court trying to convince a jury that you didn't alter the optical properties of an optical system that you don't know the workings of. The plaintiff's attorney would be salivating at the opportunity to spin that as negligence.

Ease of damage is speculation from anecdotes. It's not clear to me that there is an actual issue here, or at least one that applies to Eyesight equipped Subarus but not regular Subarus.
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

Your insurance should cover it.In KY there is not even a deductible for glass. Yes its painful but you cant control flying rocks from trucks or cars ahead of you. As long as you and passengers are safe its not a big deal.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Similar story with my 2017 -- small tree limb (about dime size in diameter, and only about 2' long) dropped straight down and broke the windshield within the first six weeks or so. Cracks spread quickly from there.

My insurance covered it less the deductible. I called the dealer and they said anyone can replace it, but the said you needed the OEM windshield. And, the tech shouldn't go near the eyesight cameras or they would need to be realigned at the dealer. And, the eyesight system did a check on startup so one would know if the glass was causing a problem.

My insurance's glass contractor came out (nationwide firm), didn't have the OEM windshield. Offered to put me back in the queue and get one. He had competed in the nationwide contest for best glass tech just last fall and was practicing for the next contest. He said that Subaru didn't make glass, they contracted it out some 1000 units at a time or so, and those got the Subaru label. I asked him about his experience, and he said it didn't seem to make any difference, so I told him to go ahead. We looked carefully at both windshields and there was minimal differences, if any.

Over the next month I had to deactivate the lane detection (ie, push the button) and reactivate it once as it didn't seem to be working. Otherwise it's been fine. Have only had the vehicle 4 months so I don't know if this is something I would have had to do anyway.

As others have mentioned there are many stories in the Outback forum; the overall take away I got was that non-Subaru glass worked fine, and maybe was somewhat less likely to break than the OEM glass.

YMMV
squirm

Post by squirm »

Sometimes car manufactured will use active noise cancellation with sound systems, in exchange they will use thinner but noisier glass that cost less for them.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

livelifealittle wrote:I know with my 2015 Outback they sent out a notice that if you had to replace your windshield, they'd reimburse you up to x amount (don't remember). Not sure if it applies to Forester as well.
I have a 2015 Outback, but did not get such a "notice." Do you still have it, does it have a title I can contact Subaru about?
Topic Author
tioscrooge

Post by tioscrooge »

Thank you everyone for your reply and suggestions.
I will check out subaruoutback.org
I have comprehensive insurance, and my deductible is $1000. I will check my policy to see if the deductible does not apply to glass replacement (although I don't think I will get lucky..)
Appreciate the mention that non-OEM glass did just as well.
I also checked with the dealership about the warranty / recall / defective glass. apparently there are some Forester / Outback with defective glass out there that crack with heat (crack starts at the bottom, and no evidence of rock/chip). Mine is not in that lot and rock/chip would exclude it even if it were covered under the extended warranty.
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

Just as a note for use of OEM glass, I'm work at a dealership not Subaru, but GM Cadillac,GMC,Buick I see a lot of concerns with the use of aftermarket glass with all the new safety systems, there seems to be a lack of quality, almost everytime I see a car with a safety system malfunction that has a camera or sensor on the front glass it's related to aftermarket glass.
"Gonna Make It"
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

tioscrooge wrote:I have comprehensive insurance, and my deductible is $1000. I will check my policy to see if the deductible does not apply to glass replacement (although I don't think I will get lucky..)
I have lived in one state that required no deductible for a windshield replacement. I was told it was because it is a safety issue. I think I've seen this in other states as well.
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

RudyS wrote:
livelifealittle wrote:I know with my 2015 Outback they sent out a notice that if you had to replace your windshield, they'd reimburse you up to x amount (don't remember). Not sure if it applies to Forester as well.
I have a 2015 Outback, but did not get such a "notice." Do you still have it, does it have a title I can contact Subaru about?
I have no idea what I did to the notice I received but here's the same letter someone posted on subaruoutback.org http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... eicer.html. Give them a call and see if yours is covered as well.

OP, you might want to check if your warranty is extended to 5 yrs as well. See the letter posted on the above link. Never mind. Saw your post re: not included in the lot.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Use aftermarket windshield. A friend was told a Toyota Camry windshield was $800. An aftermarket was $215. with or without insurance.

Tim
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Nowizard wrote:Use aftermarket windshield. A friend was told a Toyota Camry windshield was $800. An aftermarket was $215. with or without insurance.

Tim
Yes, we get that aftermarket glass is cheaper. Did your friend's Camry have a camera aimed through the windshield that activated lane monitoring and automatic braking? That's the issue with Subaru's eyesight system.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

It did not, so an aftermarket windshield may not work.

Tim
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

livelifealittle wrote:
RudyS wrote:
I have no idea what I did to the notice I received but here's the same letter someone posted on subaruoutback.org http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... eicer.html. Give them a call and see if yours is covered as well.

OP, you might want to check if your warranty is extended to 5 yrs as well. See the letter posted on the above link. Never mind. Saw your post re: not included in the lot.
Thanks for the info. My memory is going bad, I did get that letter almost two years ago, but because it dealt with cracks at the bottom, not chip damage, I filed it and forgot it.
maroon

Post by maroon »

My older Forester doesn't have Eyesight, but it does have the all-weather package with the windshield wiper de-icer. When I needed a new windshield, my insurance company paid for it (no deductible). I dropped my car off at the dealership, and the dealership coordinated the installation with its preferred vendor. I hope you enjoy your Forester as much as I enjoy mine! :happy
Topic Author
tioscrooge

Post by tioscrooge »

Conclusion:

I found a glass replacement company that replaced OEM glass for $650.
I enjoy driving my Subaru, always have. Just not inclined to replace glass so often.

I followed up with my auto agent. My insurer offers $0 deductible glass insurance coverage (it was a rider, not part of standard policy) for $68 for two cars (Prius and Forester) for one year. I added that rider to my policy.

Thank you for everyone's insights and suggestions.
jstat

Post by jstat »

My is 2014 Forester with Eyesight is the first car I have owned in the last 20 years that didn't have a cracked or chipped windshield. I hope this doesn't jinx it :happy
amarone

Post by amarone »

2016 Outback owner. We lost two windshields in the first three months or so from very minor pebbles. Both times there was a small crack that rapidly expanded. Subaru of America gave us partial credit on the replacement. Since then, we have made sure we carry a repair kit in the car. We had one further chip, and repaired it immediately (you have to sit by the roadside for 45 minutes while it sets) and we saved that windshield. Much as we like the Outback, I regard this as a serious product flaw and we will not get another Subaru if the user forums indicate that this is still a problem when we are ready to replace our current Outback.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Is there something about the current Subaru design or glass spec that leads to damaged windshields? I don't think we've had a cracked windshield in any car in at least 15 years...
CULater

Post by CULater »

I just became aware of the high cost of replacing windshields because of new safety systems. IMO, one more reason to avoid this safety technology. It costs a fortune to add and a fortune to maintain.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

My 2016 Legacy with eye sight had to get the glass replaced and the aftermarket worked fine. I was very specific telling the glass shop I had the system plus heated wipers and so forth. They had to send a tech somewhere else to pick up the glass but it was about $350 installed. I think the glass was Fuburo but can't remember. The manager said he was glad they got the glass when they did because it can be a couple day wait usually.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

I replaced my 2016 Forester's windshield after stone hit it with an aftermarket windshield-$232 installed. No issue with Eyesight and I use cruise control everyday on my 70 mile round trip commute on the PA turnpike.
EAB

Post by EAB »

Proud owner of brand new 2017 Forester until... 2 broken windshields in 3 months! I've owned cars for 40 years with 0 broken windshields. There's got to be something wrong w the windshields or the car. Subaru tells me they are impact cracks and not their fault. I'm VERY disappointed @ my new Subaru Forester! (Not to mention 2 flat tires and entertainment software malfunction that required 2 software updates.) I've never spent so much time @ dealership! Someone tell me there is a recall! Is it safe to drive w such weak windshields? Yikes!!!
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

EAB wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm Proud owner of brand new 2017 Forester until... 2 broken windshields in 3 months! I've owned cars for 40 years with 0 broken windshields. There's got to be something wrong w the windshields or the car. Subaru tells me they are impact cracks and not their fault. I'm VERY disappointed @ my new Subaru Forester! (Not to mention 2 flat tires and entertainment software malfunction that required 2 software updates.) I've never spent so much time @ dealership! Someone tell me there is a recall! Is it safe to drive w such weak windshields? Yikes!!!
Or is it simply reversion to the mean? :)

(The entertainment software updates would not be included in the reversion. If they release buggy software they should at least make it easy to update, e.g. pop in a CD or USB stick that they mail to you.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

EAB wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm Proud owner of brand new 2017 Forester until... 2 broken windshields in 3 months! I've owned cars for 40 years with 0 broken windshields. There's got to be something wrong w the windshields or the car. Subaru tells me they are impact cracks and not their fault. I'm VERY disappointed @ my new Subaru Forester! (Not to mention 2 flat tires and entertainment software malfunction that required 2 software updates.) I've never spent so much time @ dealership! Someone tell me there is a recall! Is it safe to drive w such weak windshields? Yikes!!!
Sorry it is happening to you, too. Broken windshields were just about the only thing that my Outback didn't suffer (or is still suffering) from. I read it is because they use really thin glass to keep weight down. I have also read that the vents for the heater have something to do with it. You should try contacting Subaru directly, but they will probably just refer you back to your dealer unless they start to get a lot of complaints in. It took quite a while for them to deal with the 2015 windshields. My dealership is a joke. They pretend there isn't a problem, regardless of why I'm bringing it into the shop. I was told that they had never, ever, ever heard of the side window problem before, and it was all over the internet. I can't even get a software update because they say either it is acting normally or they can't reproduce the problem. I keep getting this "cancel" pop up on my screen and I can't do anything like change the station or look at my map until it decides to go away on its own. And my rear view camera doesn't turn on right away and sometimes doesn't turn off, and again, I can't change the station or look at my map while it is doing it. In short, I will never buy a Subaru again.
animarising

Post by animarising »

Yes - and the problem extends to the Subaru Outback 2017 with eyesight. The Subaru VIP desk told me that they used a thinner glass to cut down on the vehicle weight. And that's a big part of the problem. The other part is that the glass gets installed in a weird way with eyesight. It lays on top of a metal frame that becomes heated. WATCH OUT when the weather is cold and you're blasting heat inside the car. The combination of thin glass, with glass that's cold on one side and steamy on the other spells CURTAINS for your windshield if I rock hits anywhere close to where the glass ant the heated metal under frame come together. It's a real problem!
preetk

Post by preetk »

2017 Crosstrek has the same issue. Noticed a small crack - not sure if it started as a chip. Now it is spreading. Replacement has to be ordered.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

tioscrooge wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:36 pm
With the other cars I have owned (Honda, Toyota, Volvo), I did not have this problem (Did not have to replace windshield, as rockchips dented, but the cracks were not linear and did not expand).
Side comment: I just had the windshield replaced on my Honda CR-V due to an 8 inch long crack to the perimeter. The windshield did have several chips (i.e. dents) in it prior to that. This CR*V has over 200,000 miles on it and this was the original windshield.
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

Not directly related to Subaru but I'll chime in anyway.

Last week we had our glass guy out to replace 3 windshields in our truck fleet. We check them every year right after "rock" season. Better if after the towns have swept up the gravel from snow & ice storms in the Winter. I encouraged our glass guy to go out on his own a few years ago. He did & we have a really good relationship. He looked over at my '17 Volvo and mentioned the sensors behind the glass. He said he just got back from buying & training a system that calibrates the sensors after the new install. He said he needs a bit of room (30-50 feet) and sometimes has to drive the car a short distance.

This may be a work around for OEM glass
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

tioscrooge wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:36 pm Hello!

I own a 2015 Subaru Forester 2015. It has eyesight feature.

In the first week after the purchase, while driving a rock hit it and the windshield got cracked with a linear crack immediately. The crack grew rapidly and was soon more than a foot long. Compared to the other cars I have owned, the windshield cracked a few inches from impact to a border (as opposed to a dent like impact with other cars). I had to replace the wind shield at $700. I called several places and I was told that the shops will need OEM glass delivered from the dealership for them to install. The dealership referred me to some shops.

Just now, another rockchip damaged the windshield. Again, cracked from impact to the border (only a few inches), and then extended over the next few days to over a foot. I got a few bids for $400-470 to replace this from local glass stops as well as safelite. Day before appointment, they called and said due to presence of eyesight, they can't use generic windshield and must order OEM glass from subaru for a revised bid of $750. They said only Subaru with eyesight requires OEM glass from the company.

Are there other subaru owners who have faced similar issues with their windshield? Suggestions?
Yes, this is a true statement. OEM glass only with Eyesight. In addition, you will need to have your Eyesight system recalibrated by the dealer after glass replacement.