Best Cheap Champagne

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heartwood

Re: Best Cheap Champagne

Postby heartwood » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Not a champagne, but an excellent cava if you're near a Total Wine store: Rondel Brut Cava at $8.99

49 reviews averaging 4.5; 96% recommend it.

Here's my review from TW: "value, taste, our go to sparkler
No competition to this wine in the many we've tasted below $20, and many above that price Try a bottle.
Crisp, clean, delicious, but give it a few minutes to breathe for a smoother taste.
You seldom go wrong buying the most popular (based on number of reviews) low cost wines at Total Wine. This is another example."

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:04 pm

knight rider wrote:Costco has a Kirkland prosecco for $6.99 that's very drinkable. We prefer it over Freixenet.

+1
This is my favorite

FoolStreet

Postby FoolStreet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Nicolas wrote:
bertilak wrote:
knight rider wrote:Costco has a Kirkland prosecco for $6.99 that's very drinkable. We prefer it over Freixenet.

+1 on Costco.

Pick your price range. Costco's selections will generally be among the best for whatever price they are charging.

And yes, Costco's selections under their own Kirkland brand are very good whenever we try them.

Perhaps just as important will be the style you prefer. Read Costco's descriptions or ASK whoever is in charge of the wine section. Think in terms of sweet, dry, fruity, earthy, etc.. Work your way through a few styles to calibrate your preferences.

Before our periodic trips to Costco I consult the independent Costco Wine Blog, which is quite good. Here's a search on that site for champagne available at Costco:
http://costcowineblog.com/?s=Champagne

Whenever anyone mentions cheap champagne I'm reminded of that Three Stooges short where Curly pronounces it as "sham-pag-nee". :D

Thanks for sharing that. The equivalnt is Reverse Wine Snob. I sort by Trader Joe's.

Armada

Postby Armada » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Domaine St Michelle Brut
Paul Chaneau Brut

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Moët or most anything from Mumm Napa. Korbel is yucky imo
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

jabberwockOG

Postby jabberwockOG » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 pm

arsenalfan wrote:+1 Lamarca. Just sweet enough...

Agree - excellent low cost alternative.

obgraham

Postby obgraham » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:53 pm

I enjoy my wines, both red and white.

But I've never figured out the deal with champagne. Too fizzy, and the taste is awful. And applying more cash doesn't seem to improve the product. I'd rather have a 7-up!

(Flameproof suit now being donned!)

peterinjapan

Postby peterinjapan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:39 am

My local Ralph's has 30% off (sometimes 40% off) 6 bottles of wine. so I always load up. I find Prosecco Doc Zonin is an excellent Brut champagne, only $11 or so, but with 30% off that's ridiculously cheap.

bayview

Postby bayview » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 pm

El Greco wrote:Korbel is quite drinkable and is $10-$15. For a bit more, $35-$50 Gloria Ferrer or Iron Horse are excellent choices and rival many French Champagnes. All of these are California Sparkling Wines

+1 to Gloria Ferrer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

FactualFran

Postby FactualFran » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 pm

The posts made here have induced me to try some of the low cost wines mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm

obgraham wrote:I enjoy my wines, both red and white.

But I've never figured out the deal with champagne. Too fizzy, and the taste is awful. And applying more cash doesn't seem to improve the product. I'd rather have a 7-up!

(Flameproof suit now being donned!)

You could add 7-up to your white wine maybe? I'm no champagne expert but it's fun to pop the cork and it's tradition for New Years or really any celebration. The cheapest champagne tastes like crap that's for sure. You should try one of these low to mid range selections listed. Maybe you'll change your mind.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”