Cooktop died, not repairable, need recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jackson12

Cooktop died, not repairable, need recommendations

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Cooktop brands, models, etc greatly appreciated. We need a 36 inch black cooktop, edited, with apologies, it's 30 inches, should have measured twice expensive bells and whistles not needed. I'm guessing there is a thread on here about this.

I can't find it through the search options. But if anyone has a link to that thread and it's a relatively recent thread that would be great..

Our old cooktop was a top rated Consumer Reports model, not cheap, and a disappointment from day one.
Last edited by Jackson12 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

rxtra8

Re: Cooktop died, not repairable, need recommendations

Post by rxtra8 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:41 pm

My wife and I added a Dacor DCT305 to our remodeled kitchen 1 1/2 years ago. It has been terrific. Lots of power plus quality materials; metal control knobs, cast aluminum from Italy for the burner rings, attractive stainless surface for the spill tray and nice cast iron grates that cover the whole surface. We would have got the DCT365 but building code said no. Plus there is a lot of real estate to cook on based on how the cook top was designed; played a large part on why I chose the 305 as the best 30 inch; we frequently have 4 pots and pans in use. Would have been thrilled to get the DCT365.

Bottom line, it is the one appliance that my wife is still really thrilled about.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:52 pm

rxtra8 wrote:My wife and I added a Dacor DCT305 to our remodeled kitchen 1 1/2 years ago. It has been terrific. Lots of power plus quality materials; metal control knobs, cast aluminum from Italy for the burner rings, attractive stainless surface for the spill tray and nice cast iron grates that cover the whole surface. We would have got the DCT365 but building code said no. Plus there is a lot of real estate to cook on based on how the cook top was designed; played a large part on why I chose the 305 as the best 30 inch; we frequently have 4 pots and pans in use. Would have been thrilled to get the DCT365.

Bottom line, it is the one appliance that my wife is still really thrilled about.
Sounds wonderful. We need electric due to high quoted prices of running gas to the kitchen.

hand

Post by hand » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm

If I was installing an electric cooktop, I would strongly consider induction for the improved performance vs. resistance electric.

I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of models that meet your size and appearance criteria.

For others interested in this topic who have gas as an option, I've been very happy with a Blue-Star gas cooktop from a performance & durability standpoint.

coulombre

Post by coulombre » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:04 pm

We installed a Wolf CT30E/S a few years ago. It's an induction cooktop so your pots and pans may or may not be compatible.

We do not have gas available. However we love induction cooking. It's fast. When you turn the power off the heating stops. And the glass top is easy to clean.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Why is the electric cooktop not repairable? Burners are replaceable and so are the switches that control them. What is the nature of the failure?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm

sport wrote:Why is the electric cooktop not repairable? Burners are replaceable and so are the switches that control them. What is the nature of the failure?
I thought so too. but OP says he hates it. Sounds like a good excuse to get something better.

Trouble is, with conventional electics (not induction) you still have an electric stove.

There's a reason for the expression "now you're cooking with gas."

el47

Post by el47 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:08 pm

We replaced our radiant electric cooktop with an induction model made by Electrolux 3 years ago and it was money well spent. The burners heat up quickly, are easy to control and, most importantly, clean up is a breeze! No more burned food on the cooktop surface that requires a blade to scrape off.

We purchased it through an online retailer for a lot less than local stores and added an inexpensive extended warranty just in case we run in any problems. The stove has performed flawlessly so far.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 pm

GE Profile glass top 36 inch is good for us. The version we have has no knobs. It is all touch controls. We like it and it cooks good. It cleans up OK if you use the special glass stove cleaner and scrub it when dirty. Gas is better but that house is all electric We might do the induction version if starting over. But in our case we have all sorts of pots and pans that work with current flat electric.

Good Luck

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:25 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
sport wrote:Why is the electric cooktop not repairable? Burners are replaceable and so are the switches that control them. What is the nature of the failure?
I thought so too. but OP says he hates it. Sounds like a good excuse to get something better.

Trouble is, with conventional electics (not induction) you still have an electric stove.

There's a reason for the expression "now you're cooking with gas."
Yup ... I find it strange that gas was the new-fangled cooking method over electricity. I always thought gas lights were a thing in cities in the US back in early 1900's? I too prefer a gas cooktop - propane in my case although methane is nicer.

from insideenergy.org
"“Now we’re cooking with gas” originated in the late 1930’s or early 40s as a slogan thought up by the natural gas industry to convince people to use gas, rather than electricity, on their new-fangled stoves. This was the era where there was a widespread transition from wood-fueled stoves, and electric and natural gas stoves were in competition with each other. The gas industry wanted to imprint the idea in people’s minds that cooking with gas was the most effective way to get the hot food on the table.

The modern understanding of the phrase is, “functioning very effectively” or “achieving something substantial,” or, after a time of trial and error, “we’re finally rolling.”"

NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I bought a Maytag. Terrible. Was missing some of the installation hardware and had to jump through hoops to get it. After a couple years one of the igniters broke. Can't recommend Maytag.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I had a burner igniter or something fail on my old cooktop. Not dangerous, just a nuisance and replacement parts are not available.

I got into a big snarl trying to find a cooktop to fit the existing hole, and got confused by heat options. Also I really dislike the craze for black appliances.

Note: The more powerful burners were exactly where I did not want them for the type of cooking I do. So pay attention to the specifications for the individual burners and their placement.

I finally decided the heck with this and stayed with the old cooktop. Three burners are plenty for me anyway.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 pm

When my cooktop (electric) died I cut out the counter where it was installed and then removed the oven from beneath it and installed a regular range. The range cost less than the cheapest cooktop alone. I could have gone to gas, it's only a foot away, but electric is fine for me.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I cannot live with an electric range. I have a single burner outside the house connected to a propane tank and a stove capable of 40,000 BTUs or something. When on full blast, it sounds like a dragon breathing fire. Quickly boils water or cooks veggies.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 pm

This is an Electrolux cooktop. We have had positive experiences with Electrolux in the past. Not this time.

It was quite a search to find an appliance repair service which worked on Electrolux cooktops. We found two. Both repair people,,both from different companies, say there are two control panels which have to be replaced. This cooktop does indeed have 2 control panels.

The total cost for both panels? $1200, not counting service. We don't know why the panels died. But the error codes support the fact that they did. The service people were shocked at the cost of replacing the panels.

They suggested we consider buying another cooktop - and they have no financial motivation to do so. They don't sell cooktops.

In fact, one repair person worked for hours and didn't charge us for more than the service call- not even the usual hourly fee.

It' was never a great cooktop. But we'd have kept it if it wasn't for the cost of repair.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Our previous electric cooktop shorted out and fried all the boards. The cost to replace the boards was more than the cost of a new cooktop, i.e. non-repairable.

We went with the G.E. Cafe series cooktop though it is gas. Although I love the gas and the cooktop has worked flawlessly, they cheaped out on the control knobs. They are molded plastic with a metal sleeve pressed in the stem that slips over the posts to control the flame. The plastic gets stressed slightly every time you turn it and eventually fractures and splits. I bought several knobs at $50+ each but realized that there was a better way. I went to the hardware store and bought the smallest hose clamp they sold for each knob. The hose clamp reinforces the knob and I doubt I will ever have problems again but it irks me that they couldn't spend just a little bit more and have a rock solid cooktop all around.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm

cheesepep wrote:I cannot live with an electric range. I have a single burner outside the house connected to a propane tank and a stove capable of 40,000 BTUs or something. When on full blast, it sounds like a dragon breathing fire. Quickly boils water or cooks veggies.
We have gas heat Our winter heating bills are horrible. Would they increase significantly? I'm guessing...yes? Might be wrong about that.

Our electric bill, even with an electric cooktop, comes in at $117 a month. I cook daily. We rarely eat out. I don't know what gas would do to our budget.
Last edited by Jackson12 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 pm

+1 for induction . I have been cooking with induction for 12 years. First with a 30 inch Kenmore at my townhome, and now with a 36 inch Kenmore in my current place. Never any problem.

If you have a significant number of pots and pans that are not induction compatible, there are some units that have a mix of radiant and induction burners. But I can't imagine ever going back to radiant.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

madbrain wrote:+1 for induction . I have been cooking with induction for 12 years. First with a 30 inch Kenmore at my townhome, and now with a 36 inch Kenmore in my current place. Never any problem.

If you have a significant number of pots and pans that are not induction compatible, there are some units that have a mix of radiant and induction burners. But I can't imagine ever going back to radiant.
So you'd recommend Kenmore? How old is the cooktop?

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:19 pm

We are about 1 yr into a bosch induction, and it's worked very well for us. I think the only options we would consider are gas and induction at this point - and I'm not sure gas really has much of an advantage (if at all). We've got kids in our house, so the ease of cleaning induction is certainly an issue for us.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 pm

noco-hawkeye wrote:We are about 1 yr into a bosch induction, and it's worked very well for us. I think the only options we would consider are gas and induction at this point - and I'm not sure gas really has much of an advantage (if at all). We've got kids in our house, so the ease of cleaning induction is certainly an issue for us.
Care to share the model? Thanks for the Bosch recommendation.

FraggleRock

induction

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Go here
http://theinductionsite.com

Become a better educated consumer.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
noco-hawkeye wrote:We are about 1 yr into a bosch induction, and it's worked very well for us. I think the only options we would consider are gas and induction at this point - and I'm not sure gas really has much of an advantage (if at all). We've got kids in our house, so the ease of cleaning induction is certainly an issue for us.
Care to share the model? Thanks for the Bosch recommendation.
NIT5666UC is our model. Good luck!

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
cheesepep wrote:I cannot live with an electric range. I have a single burner outside the house connected to a propane tank and a stove capable of 40,000 BTUs or something. When on full blast, it sounds like a dragon breathing fire. Quickly boils water or cooks veggies.
We have gas heat Our winter heating bills are horrible. Would they increase significantly? I'm guessing...yes? Might be wrong about that.

Our electric bill, even with an electric cooktop, comes in at $117 a month. I cook daily. We rarely eat out. I don't know what gas would do to our budget.
The fuel cost of cooking with natural gas will be much less than the cost of electricity for the same cooking.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:09 am

Jackson12 wrote:
madbrain wrote:+1 for induction . I have been cooking with induction for 12 years. First with a 30 inch Kenmore at my townhome, and now with a 36 inch Kenmore in my current place. Never any problem.

My Kenmore 36" induction is going on almost 7 years. Never an issue.

It is model item 42900 / model 4290 which is now discontinued. It was about $2000 in 2010.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/36-Electric- ... ode=seeAll

Looks like it has been superceded by this model :
https://www.kenmore.com/products/kenmor ... less-steel

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:52 am

madbrain wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:

My Kenmore 36" induction is going on almost 7 years. Never an issue.

It is model item 42900 / model 4290 which is now discontinued. It was about $2000 in 2010.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/36-Electric- ... ode=seeAll

Looks like it has been superceded by this model :
https://www.kenmore.com/products/kenmor ... less-steel
Thanks for the info. The 36" model, the size you have, has excellent reviews. The 30 inch, for some reason, does not. Our opening is made for a 30" cooktop and expanding the opening, if even possible, wouldn't align with the placement of drawers beneath the counter.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:17 am

Jackson12 wrote:

Huh? Heating a house in the winter (and possibly a hot water heater) with gas is entirely different than the gas for a stove/cooktop. Natural gas is cheap!

spitty

Post by spitty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 am

Another plug here for induction--we installed a Miele a few years ago and it's fantastic! We needed new stainless steel cookware since it won't work with the cheapie aluminum stuff we'd used forever. Wife chose AllClad 5-ply.
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

Jackson12 wrote:Cooktop brands, models, etc greatly appreciated. We need a 36 inch black cooktop, expensive bells and whistles not needed. I'm guessing there is a thread on here about this.

I can't find it through the search options. But if anyone has a link to that thread and it's a relatively recent thread that would be great..

Our old cooktop was a top rated Consumer Reports model, not cheap, and a disappointment from day one.
Don't get glass. Scraping and cleaning up mess is a big pain. Plus you'll scratch the heck out of them if you cook right.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 am

cherijoh wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:

Huh? Heating a house in the winter (and possibly a hot water heater) with gas is entirely different than the gas for a stove/cooktop. Natural gas is cheap!
Gas is almost always cheaper and more efficient for heating and cooking. It's in the nature of the energy source.

To cook with electricity, natural gas is burned at the power plant to generate steam which passes through turbines to turn electric generators to produce voltage. The electricity must then be transmitted long distances to your house where it is converted back to heat with coils to cook your food. There is energy loss at each stage in the process.

To cook with natural gas it is piped to your house where you burn it directly. The only real energy loss is the heat that escapes from under your pan to warm the surrounding air. But it is many times more efficient to burn the gas directly in your house compared to burning it at a powerplant, converting it to electricity, and then back to heat at your house. I think I read someplace that using gas directly for heating and cooking is about 3-4 times more efficient than using gas-generated electricty from the power plant.

That said, if you don't have natural gas service and have to mess with propane then it probably isn't worth it.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 am

spitty wrote:Another plug here for induction--we installed a Miele a few years ago and it's fantastic! We needed new stainless steel cookware since it won't work with the cheapie aluminum stuff we'd used forever. Wife chose AllClad 5-ply.
Thanks. If you happen to have the info on the model # I can find the current model that matches that- or perhaps they're still making the model you own and there isn't a newer version. We're comparing brands and their costs, features, repair histories, etc... at this point.

In the meantime, we're using a single portable electric induction burner for things like boiling pasta. The Electrolux oven isn't working either ( bought it at same time as cooktop, also among the highest rated in Consumer Reports, has always had issues, needed frequent repairs, but was covered under an extended warranty until recently )

So , on top of having no cooktop, we are using our toaster oven until the oven control panel is replaced ( it's inexpensive enough to warrant the cost rather than investing in a new oven....so far).

With a toaster oven, one portable induction burner, our microwave and a crockpot at hand, we can still cook meals and take the time to find the right cooktop.

I'm still tweaking my standard recipes ( the toaster oven both heats up and cooks food far more quickly than our standard oven) but at least we're eating most meals at home again ...our preference.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am

Jackson12 wrote:

Gas BTUs are cheaper than electric BTUs (converted from watt-hours). All other things being equal you will save money by moving to a gas stove.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Jackson12 wrote: Thanks for the info. The 36" model, the size you have, has excellent reviews. The 30 inch, for some reason, does not. Our opening is made for a 30" cooktop and expanding the opening, if even possible, wouldn't align with the placement of drawers beneath the counter.
You may want to update your original post above, since it says you are looking for a 36 inch.
In any case, I have used both the 30 inch and 36 inch versions of the Kenmore and had problems with neither.

I installed the 30" Kenmore induction cooktop (model 42800 I believe) in 2005 or 2006 when I remodeled the kitchen in my older townhome. I sold the townhome in 2012. The unit also had no problems over that period of time.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 am

madbrain wrote:
Jackson12 wrote: Thanks for the info. The 36" model, the size you have, has excellent reviews. The 30 inch, for some reason, does not. Our opening is made for a 30" cooktop and expanding the opening, if even possible, wouldn't align with the placement of drawers beneath the counter.
You may want to update your original post above, since it says you are looking for a 36 inch.
In any case, I have used both the 30 inch and 36 inch versions of the Kenmore and had problems with neither.

I installed the 30" Kenmore induction cooktop (model 42800 I believe) in 2005 or 2006 when I remodeled the kitchen in my older townhome. I sold the townhome in 2012. The unit also had no problems over that period of time.
Thanks. I'm going to double check the measurements of the cooktop opening .Its now corrected and it is indeed 30 inches

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
madbrain wrote:

Thanks. I'm going to double check the measurements of the cooktop opening .Its now corrected and it is indeed 30 inches
Good thing you didn't buy anything yet.

Measure twice, order once.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Question for folks with induction cooktops: What are the typical sizes of the actual induction coils? And is there anywhere to find this info published, or is it just something you need to discover through trial and error?

I ask because I'm on my third induction "hotplate" type unit. I love them for certain applications, but in my experience to date, they still have some flaws.

The biggest flaw to me is the smallest size of the coils. There has been some improvement recently. My first "8 inch" top actually had about a 4" coil. My newest "12 inch" model has a 9 inch diameter "heat zone" ring painted on it, but the coils is more like 7 inches.

Like I said, for some applications, this is fine. But for searing, and/or rapid heating, this can be a real problem. This also depends heavily on the cookware too.

For cast iron, it's a huge issue. It just can't conduct the heat fast enough to distribute the heat efficiently. I burned the seasoning of a few pans because of this (and if you want to find out the actual size of the coil, this is a really good way to measure it :annoyed ).

Steel and stainless steel are a little better. Copper or aluminum clad are the best. But even the best pans I've used still develop a hotter spot directly over the coil.

Is this less of a problem with the larger range or cooktops? Ideally, I'd like at least one 12" coil.

Also, do they have the same temperature target feature as the portable units? What about time limited shut off? Sometimes I cook stocks for 3-4 days, and my first two induction units would stay on that long. My current one does, though.

So for now, I cook with all three (electric and gas) as needed. We can't get gas here, so our main range is electric. But I'd be tempted to switch to inductive when we upgrade next.

Thanks!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.