Repair or replace dryer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Luckywon

Repair or replace dryer?

Post by Luckywon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 pm

I have a Maytag gas dryer purchased Dec 2011 for $570. I have repaired it twice, most recently in July 2016, due to it making a loud noise requiring replacement of a pulley. Each time it was repaired it cost around $180.

The noise is back! Would love to hear if others with this experience or knowledge of dryers have advice as far as whether to replace the dryer or get it repaired again.

livesoft

Re: Repair or replace dryer?

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

I just repair my dryer myself. It's pretty cheap to do and there aren't many moving parts, so it's easy to diagnose. The last time, I replaced the motor. Our dryer is 23 years old.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

I would replace. FYI, I bought a Whirlpool gas dryer from Lowe's in 2010, and haven't had a single problem with it.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 pm

livesoft wrote:I just repair my dryer myself. It's pretty cheap to do and there aren't many moving parts, so it's easy to diagnose. The last time, I replaced the motor. Our dryer is 23 years old.
I wonder if I can do this, I'm pretty sure I know what has to be replaced. But where do you get the parts?

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I usually repair them myself. It's not difficult, but only attempt if you're handy.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:47 pm

There are many places to get the parts. You can google "appliance parts" or "dryer parts" or any of a number of search terms. In my area, there are parts stores. This is exactly like auto parts stores, but for appliances. If I am in a hurry, I will call the store(s) and ask if they have the part in stock. Otherwise, I will order online. youtube.com has plenty of videos on how to diagnose and repair anything.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 pm

squirm wrote:I usually repair them myself. It's not difficult, but only attempt if you're handy.
Well, if you are going to buy a new dryer :shock: it won't matter if you are handy or not when you try to repair it.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Parts lists are often included in the owners manual, or if not, you can find them by searching either the web in general for your model number, or by going to the manufacturer website, where there is usually a "support" section or similar. For Maytag:
https://www.maytag.com/services/manuals.html

Once you know the part number, you usually have the option of buying the part from the manufacturer, or for cheaper from discount resellers on places like Ebay, or I've even found parts on Amazon a couple times.

The hardest part when I replaced the struts on my washing machine was figuring out how to open the stupid thing up, due to a hidden latch accessible with a special tool (or a butter knife) that turned out to be even easier than using a screw driver once I turned to youtube for help.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:16 pm

The other twist to this is that this dryer is stacked on a Maytag washer. I was online with Maytag and spoke with a sales person at Pacific Sales who said that the new Maytag dryers have different stacking kits now so they cannot be stacked on an old washer. So I have to replace both the washer and dryer!!

myleaf

Post by myleaf » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:42 pm

a good source for appliance diagrams is searspartsonlinedotcom.
they have diagrams and parts for many different models.
they stock many parts as well as list the part numbers.
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 pm

There's no way I'd get it replaced, especially if you would have to get a new washer also. I've repaired my Whirlpool dryer many times. Replaced the pulley twice. Most anything on a dryer can be easily repaired yourself if you can get the parts.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

If you can get the part and repair yourself do it. If not buy a new dryer. Dryers are very simple devices and should run for 7-10 years before any repairs are required. Your current dryer is a dog but if you can easily and cheaply diy repair it every year or so it might make sense to keep it if it functions well.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm

myleaf wrote:a good source for appliance diagrams is searspartsonlinedotcom.
they have diagrams and parts for many different models.
they stock many parts as well as list the part numbers.
There are a number of different (non-sears) appliance part websites that have wiring diagrams, parts lists, and some trouble-shooting help. I think the one I used was applianceparts.com (not sure). You will want the full part number of your dryer.

Dryers are among the easier appliances to repair. In 30 years I repaired mine 2 or 3 times. I was thinking of a replacement last time around but discovered there was some issue about the plug that would have made it complicated.

So- I would definitely have a shot at repairing it.

Niemanterry

Post by Niemanterry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm

I say repair dryers rather than replace. Youtube shows you how. As stated, they are simple. Plus I like to take them apart, to clean out stray lint, and to rescue all those single socks!

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Luckywon wrote:I have a Maytag gas dryer purchased Dec 2011 for $570. I have repaired it twice, most recently in July 2016, due to it making a loud noise requiring replacement of a pulley. Each time it was repaired it cost around $180.

The noise is back! Would love to hear if others with this experience or knowledge of dryers have advice as far as whether to replace the dryer or get it repaired again.
No experience with gas dryers, but with no knowledge of dryers, I have repaired our electric dryer twice over the 15 years we have owned it. Very simple machines. Search Youtube for videos on how to do it, and order the parts on Amazon. Save a lot of money.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:00 pm

We actually had a new dryer installed today. It replaces one purchased in the 1970's that has had a couple of heating elements replaced (Something even someone who is not overly handy can do). The dealer was very open and said to pick up this one as much as I could and to do the same with a new one in the store. He said they are just not as good as they used to be and had a life of 7-10 years. He did say that the drum was least likely to need repair but also that the current ones were more likely to be non-metal. Yours is not at, but nearing, the drop-dead date according to this dealer.

Tim

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 am

Appreciate all the replies. I think I will pay one more time for the repair guy to fix it, but this time I will take notes and watch how he does it, so I can do it myself next time. Maybe even buy a spare pulley now, in case it is not available in the future.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 am

Most recent dryer problem occurred with the dryer being out of manufacture warranty, but after significant work/calls it was "covered" for a longer warranty due to purchase on a credit card. Repairman comes out, and orders the wrong part. More and more hassles getting the wrong part returned and then a new claim would have to be initiated. Seems wasn't as easy to repair, or the repair guy didn't watch a youtube video before he came over.

You're having to put another $180 for likely the 3rd time! Sounds like a lemon and I'd replace it was a lower end dryer at this point.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 am

Luckywon wrote:Appreciate all the replies. I think I will pay one more time for the repair guy to fix it, but this time I will take notes and watch how he does it, so I can do it myself next time. Maybe even buy a spare pulley now, in case it is not available in the future.
You have a dud/lemon. Don't waste your money.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

Twice in six years seems excessive. There's a certain amount of "they don't make 'em like they used to" but even so I would be open to the possibility that you do have "a lemon." In other words, if you don't especially like it for other reasons, I don't think it would be frivolous. You've given it two repairs, that seems like a decent effort and expense to have put in.

We've been in this house for well over thirty years, and we're on our second dryer. I don't know how old it is but the control panel isn't electronic and it is the last thing in our house that makes the once-familiar noises of cams and microswitches when you turn the dial. The first dryer's main bearing gave out--after being noisy for several years.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.