Multi-page scanner?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flamesabers

Multi-page scanner?

Post by flamesabers »

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good multi-page scanner? I currently have a HP single-page scanner and while it can get the job done, it gets tedious when I'm scanning a lot of pages at one time. I already have a printer and I don't need a fax machine, so having an "all-in-one" machine isn't important to me. I'm fine with a wired or wireless scanner. Practically everything I need to scan is the standard 8 x 11 inch paper document.
user5027

Re: Multi-page scanner?

Post by user5027 »

I use a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510. Works great.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I second the Fujitsu suggestion. Rock solid scanners that can handle a ton.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I've had a Fujitsu for many years as well. Scanned well over 30,000 documents and it still works fine. My former workplace uses them as their paper document scanner, too.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Topic Author
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Hopefully I can find a Fujitsu on Amazon, since I would like to use my Amazon Prime store card. I would definitely like to get a 5% credit on this purchase. :D
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

You don't mention how much multi-page scanning you do. The Fujitsu mentioned above looks like a good scanner and is the #1 scanner at amazon. It's also over $400. https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap ... b_title_ce

If your usage is low or sporadic I can recommend the HP all-in-one. I paid $60 at amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S ... UTF8&psc=1

At another location I've got another $60 all-in-one, a canon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM ... UTF8&psc=1

Both are good for several/multi pages at a time, I've done a dozen or two at a time. Relatively slow, but gets the job done.

OTOH I frequently use my smart phone and either Genius Scan app or more recently the scan function in Google Drive since my all-in-one is in another room. Both do quick, high quality multi-page scans.
Topic Author
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

heartwood wrote:You don't mention how much multi-page scanning you do. The Fujitsu mentioned above looks like a good scanner and is the #1 scanner at amazon. It's also over $400. https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap ... b_title_ce

If your usage is low or sporadic I can recommend the HP all-in-one. I paid $60 at amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S ... UTF8&psc=1

At another location I've got another $60 all-in-one, a canon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM ... UTF8&psc=1

Both are good for several/multi pages at a time, I've done a dozen or two at a time. Relatively slow, but gets the job done.

OTOH I frequently use my smart phone and either Genius Scan app or more recently the scan function in Google Drive since my all-in-one is in another room. Both do quick, high quality multi-page scans.
I usually do multi-page scanning several times a month. The amount of documents I like to include in a single pdf can range from 5 pages to 10 pages. I don't mind if it takes a little while to scan each page in a batch, I just don't like having to change out the paper on the scanner and then restarting the scanning process for every single sheet of paper.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

Another vote for the Fujitsu. I've been singing its praises for years and I've scanned 36000 pages. And I'm appreciative that my long-obsoleted ScanSnap S510M still works on the latest Mac OS.

I believe that current models come in different packages with different software sets, so check the details before choosing on price.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I use a Brother MFC-L 8850CDW all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax. All components are very good. The auto document feeder part of the scanner is duplex, meaning it scans both sides of the page, and it does so in a single pass (no pulling paper back and forth). It's very fast. Highly recommend it. I can't speak for the lower end Brother models, but this one is great for scanning. I scan thousands of pages per year with it.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

iPhone and Scanner Pro (by Readdle) app; more versitle with qualtity just as good as my MFP scanner which I rarely use anymore.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Fletch wrote:iPhone and Scanner Pro (by Readdle) app; more versitle with qualtity just as good as my MFP scanner which I rarely use anymore.
Are your page scans straight ? And what about shadows ? Even for check scans, I find using a smartphone very tedious. I prefer to use my scanner for those too. My credit union allows uploads of check JPGs so this works well - certainly much more reliably and much quicker than with a phone.
I can't imagine using a phone for multi-page documents, when getting even a single page in proper shape takes so long.
Topic Author
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

madbrain wrote:I use a Brother MFC-L 8850CDW all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax. All components are very good. The auto document feeder part of the scanner is duplex, meaning it scans both sides of the page, and it does so in a single pass (no pulling paper back and forth). It's very fast. Highly recommend it. I can't speak for the lower end Brother models, but this one is great for scanning. I scan thousands of pages per year with it.
I think this model is out of my price range. I'm wanting to spend less then $300 on this. Unfortunately, this means the Fujitsu models others have listed are also beyond my price range.

Here are the two models I'm considering:

Espon Workforce ES-400

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4 ... PDKIKX0DER

Brother ADS1000W

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-ADS1000W ... er+scanner

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two models?
James2

Post by James2 »

I have a Epson WorkForce 645, a little old now but it's been good.

Printer, Fax, Copier and Scanner. Duplex printing and scanning. AirPrint for mobile iOS devices.

James
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

madbrain wrote:
Fletch wrote:iPhone and Scanner Pro (by Readdle) app; more versitle with qualtity just as good as my MFP scanner which I rarely use anymore.
Are your page scans straight ? And what about shadows ? Even for check scans, I find using a smartphone very tedious. I prefer to use my scanner for those too. My credit union allows uploads of check JPGs so this works well - certainly much more reliably and much quicker than with a phone.
I can't imagine using a phone for multi-page documents, when getting even a single page in proper shape takes so long.
Great iPhone app. It does adjust to make things straight and rectangular; relatively speedy if you have good lighting and a non-ancient iPhone. I use it for multiple pages once a month or so. For me it was worth $5 knowing I could go to work and scan a 50 page document if needed.

Blue Man
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

I have Brother ADS-1500W (https://www.amazon.com/Brother-ADS1500W ... B00EKW6JZ4)

Bought the refurbished one from Staples with $30 coupon and got 3yr Squaretrade protection plan for $15.99.
It scans both sides in one go. Obviously not as fast as the more expensive Fujitsu but I scan while doing other things as well.
Topic Author
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

livelifealittle wrote:I have Brother ADS-1500W (https://www.amazon.com/Brother-ADS1500W ... B00EKW6JZ4)

Bought the refurbished one from Staples with $30 coupon and got 3yr Squaretrade protection plan for $15.99.
It scans both sides in one go. Obviously not as fast as the more expensive Fujitsu but I scan while doing other things as well.
This looks pretty good for my needs. I don't mind loading 5-10 pages at a time and doing something else while I wait for the scanning process to finish.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I'm going to throw this out there....but Dropbox has a really cool nifty new feature that will scan any document and save to your dropbox folder.

I was skeptical, but I've used it a few times and the scan is perfect.

BTW...I have the Fujitsu scanner at my office and absolutely LOVE it. I've had it for 5 years and use it for a paperless office. All invoices come in are scanned and stored immediately in Dropbox.....making them searchable and accessible across all my devices.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Many comments bring up happy memories for me. Years ago the business unit I was in wanted a scanning solution. The IT group would not help ("not in the strategic plan") and it was before our copiers had a scan-to-file capability.

Although I was not in IT I told the business unit head I could find a low-cost solution, researched options, and proposed the Fujitsu ScanSnap. The head of the unit bought 5 and snuck the order around IT (which would have squashed it). The ScanSnap was a huge hit with the 5 users and from then on I was brought in on most discussions regarding technology which elevated visibility for me in a big way. The ScanSnaps were reliable, solid performing scanners.
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

Brother ADS-1500W I have also come with cloud feature where it would upload the scanned doc directly to Google Drive. However, I think that doc will not be private to only you (gov access is allowed or something like that) - see review on Amazon link I posted above.

You can easily send the scanned doc to your dedicated folder, drag and drop to Google Drive if you wish, or scan directly to Dropbox folder and have it automatically updated.
Topic Author
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Thank you everyone for your feedback. While it sure sounds like the Fujitsu models are an excellent product, they're just too expensive for me.
livelifealittle wrote:Brother ADS-1500W I have also come with cloud feature where it would upload the scanned doc directly to Google Drive. However, I think that doc will not be private to only you (gov access is allowed or something like that) - see review on Amazon link I posted above.

You can easily send the scanned doc to your dedicated folder, drag and drop to Google Drive if you wish, or scan directly to Dropbox folder and have it automatically updated.
I'm going with the Brother ADS-1500W. It fits my price range and I like the idea of having a compact scanner. I already have two printers and an "all-in-one" device that can only scan now.

I don't use Google Drive anymore. I'll probably save the files to a flash drive and/or DVD.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I second this recommendation. I have used Scanner Pro to scan literally thousands of pictures and documents. Really fast/efficient.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

Another vote for the Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 -- a fantastic piece of equipment!
Ivymd

Post by Ivymd »

Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500. Love it! Love it! Love it!
If it broke today I would buy another one before the day was out.
jakepeters

Post by jakepeters »

I also have the Fujitsu Scansnap iX500.

It's a great scanner, but expensive. It has a sensor(s) that allow it to detect when multiple sheets are fed at once and warn you.

One thing that I find very useful, and my Brother all-in-one did not come with, is the PDF OCR (optical character recognition) file creation with the word index (index is somehow inside of the PDF, as I understand it). This means that the scan is not just an image, but actual text. [Yes, there are options for JPEG output only and the Scansnap supports multiple, customizible, scan profiles.]

This means I can search my Windows folder of 10+years of brokerage account statements and find all occurrences of a particular stock ticker. Or old recipes that had a particular ingredient.

I now consider this set of features key in any scanner I would consider. I have replaced the rollers and feeder wheels on my Fujitsu, not sure how many pages have been scanned, but easily >20k.

EDIT: If your need for large amounts of scanning is short term, you could consider buying the Scansnap (sometime you can find a rebate deal, I got a $75 on my several years ago), using it, then selling it on eBay. Last time I looked the prices on used Scanscaps were high (over $250).

JP
cholan

Post by cholan »

I have 3 fujitsus -all still working after many years of near trouble free use. You will not regret it.
(They used to come with Adobe PDF standard-Alas ! No more.
...leaving not a rack behind.
ljw3

Post by ljw3 »

I have two Scansap iX500 (one at home, one at work). Highly recommend them.
VaR

Post by VaR »

I bought a HP Laserjet Pro M477fnw color laser printer with automatic document document feeder (ADF). It will do 2-sided scans through the ADF and either email you the PDF or save it to a network drive. If you want automatic 2-sided printing you'll have to pony up for the M477fdw model (apparently the "d" in the model number means it prints duplex). Both models are wireless (apparently, the "w" in the model number means wireless). For completion's sake I'll mention that the "f" in the model name means that it faxes [does anyone still fax?]. I've noticed that if the printer is called an "All-In-One", that HP decided it doesn't need to put the "f" suffix in the model name to indicate that it can fax.

Anyway, I got mine for less than $400. I can't speak to it's reliability or durability, but it works fine for me as a scanner, which is the main reason I bought it.