How many tech devices do you have?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kjvmartin

How many tech devices do you have?

Post by kjvmartin »

I'm trying to figure out if I might be a little overboard. I'm not a big traveler or spender in most areas. I'd rather wear the same clothes for years than shell out for new stuff, but I do love technology. I'm not to the point where I'm an early adopter and nothing I have is high end, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm a little overboard.

We're a family of 4 with two kids. We have 1 Apple laptop (my main computer), 2 Chromebooks (ones a beater for kids mostly), 1 iPad mini bought used, and our 2 smart phones.

That's six devices, or 7 counting Apple TV... I'm wondering how for above or below average I am for a family.

Edit: A lot of people are counting TVs, and ours is Smart, so that makes my total 8.
Last edited by kjvmartin on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simplesimon

Re: How many tech devices do you have?

Post by simplesimon »

Sounds pretty average. If everyone has a phone and a computer or iPad, that's at least two devices per person.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Sounds reasonable to me.
Wiki
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

My guess is you are on the low end of the spectrum.

We are a family of 5, 3 kids (17, 14, 10)

5 smart phones (2 Android, 3 iPhone)
2 laptops (Windows 10)
1 iPad Mini 4
1 iPad 2
1 Samsung Galaxy Tab A (my tablet)
1 Kindle Fire (not used much anymore)
2 Fire TV Box (each hooked to a TV)
3 Fire TV Stick (each hooked to a TV)
4 Bose SoundLink Mini (Bluetooth speakers)

With your Smartphone, Apple Music (Family subscription) and a Bose SoundLink Mini, you have most music and a superb sounding speaker that is compact and wireless. These have replaced most need for a stereo, CD player, boom box, etc.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monk53

Post by Monk53 »

Don't worry about overload. 2 IPhones, 1 IPad air, 1 3rd gen IPad, 1 Ipad mini/4G, 1 HP Stream tablet (not used), 1 Galaxy Tab A, 1 Galaxy Slll (wi-fi only) spare phone, 1 Chromebook, 2 Kindles, 1 Mac Mini, 1 Win 10 desktop. 1 Apple TV and 1 Rocu. 1 Kindle, 1 laptop running XP/Linux and 1 desktop running Vista in reserve. You have no issues.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

for two adults

One desktop
Two laptops (one no longer in use but is usable)
Two Android phones
Two Kindles
One tablet
One Roku
Three wireless printers
One robot vacuum cleaner
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

I love technology as well, but I have only three devices: 1x iPhone 5S, 1x Thinkpad x201 (release date: 2010), 1x desktop workstation (build date: 2012). Older hardware still works just fine.

I also have remote access to a departmental cluster and a Top500 (TOP10, actually) cluster, but I won't count that. ;)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Family of 3, two adults and a toddler.

1 - Laptop
2 - Tablets (Kindle Fire and Unbranded Windows 10 tablet)
2- Cell Phones (Moto E and Moto G4)
1- Echo Dot
1 - Kindle Fire Stick

That is about it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If I get a new piece of tech, I make sure to get rid of an old piece of tech, so I have a steady state.

When I was working, I owned no tech of my own, but had an employer-provided smart phone and laptop.

I have a pushbutton landline phone (not rotary, not cordless), an LCD watch/HRM, an answering machine, a TV, a microcell, and a router, too. Do those count as "tech"?

I have never bought anything from iTunes.

PS: My dog has a chip inserted into his rump.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have

2008 iMac which is mostly a server now.
2012 macbook pro.. just haven't gotten rid of it.
2016. Macbook air. Mostly taxes and some graphics on it for weaving.

Original iPad -may never sell this baby.
Newer ipad ffrom 2015
IPad pro from 2016

IPhone 7
IPhone 5

2 Appletvs.

1 person household. I guess this is why my place sometimes feels too small.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

2 phones, TV, desktop PC. We also have an unused laptop in a closet somewhere. Our son is a year old, so nothing for him yet. Not sure how we will proceed as he gets older.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

kjvmartin wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I might be a little overboard. I'm not a big traveler or spender in most areas. I'd rather wear the same clothes for years than shell out for new stuff, but I do love technology. I'm not to the point where I'm an early adopter and nothing I have is high end, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm a little overboard.

We're a family of 4 with two kids. We have 1 Apple laptop (my main computer), 2 Chromebooks (ones a beater for kids mostly), 1 iPad mini bought used, and our 2 smart phones.

That's six devices, or 7 counting Apple TV... I'm wondering how for above or below average I am for a family.

Reasonable.

Family of 3. (2 adults and 1 11 yo)

1 ipad 2
1 ipad mini
3 Laptops
1 desktop
3 iphones
2 Roku's
1 firestick
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

[edit - i remembered a bunch more - added]

You sound on the low side for a typical middle class American family....

Family of 4 here with 2 kids (6yr old twins)

Me:
primary computer - Windows 7 desktop (home built i7-860) - about 8 years old now
work issued dell/windows laptop
Nexus10 android tablet - almost 3 years old, getting tired
Droid Turbo android phone

wife:
Macbook Air
iPad Air
iPhone 6

Kids:
Kids each have a kindle kids edition educational tablet - we ration these out for use on long car trips etc.
Kids each have a "kidzoom" camera

Other computer related:
3in1 printer/copier fax, networked
Fully wired house - gigabit Ethernet/wifi setup with a midrange netgear n/ac router and NAS disk storage
We still have my wife's 10 year old windows laptop just in case we decide to set it up for the kids when they get older

A/V:
We have an Amazon firestick, a blue ray player, an old Nintendo Wii, Verizon DVR box
2 flatscreen TVs - a 46 in the den and a 27 in the MBR. Both pretty old (big one is from 05 or 06 i think)...
46" TV has a full 5.1 separates surround sound system (reciever, speakers, powered sub).
Wifes old iPod touch and an old iPod dock for listening in the kitchen.
Big hi-fi for music in the living room - but that is all old school and would not count as "tech" the way you are thinking. (60s vintage tube amp/preamp & turntable, plus a SACD/DVD-A/CD player and a second amp to drive outdoor speakers on the patio)
Also have enough old hi-fi components (amps, recievers, cd and turntables, speakers, etc) to build 1-2 additional full stereo systems...

Hobbies:
Wife is into photography and has a cannon DSLR setup with a half dozen lenses, etc. The body is pushing 8 or 9 years old and she is thinking of an upgrade.
I am into radio control and and electronics as hobbies so lots of misc. electronic doodads, tools , meters, scopes, etc. The amount of electronics I own across these two hobbies probably runs into the low 5 figures over hundreds of devices.
Last edited by jharkin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

What's your concern that makes you ask the question? I'd think it's only a problem if you are spending money you can't afford, or if you are concerned about e-waste.
jebmke wrote:for two adults...

... Three wireless printers
Wow!
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

I'm in my mid-70's and not a computer professional and I have:

A laptop
a kindle
an Ipad
an android phone
an Ipod touch
2 wireless printers; laser, inkjet
a Roku
and a ilife robot vacuum
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

OP: Your number seems low to me but I don't know how old your kids are - my guess is your kids are still young. As the kids get older they end up with their own laptops and smart-phones - at least that's the case for our family and everyone we know in our area. It also depends upon whether you count game consoles and kindles; printers and NAS; smart-TVs and Rokus. For our household of 4:
4 Laptops (includes my work laptop)
1 Desktop
4 Smartphones
2 kindles
2 tablets
3 Printers (1 Wireless B&W Laser on 2nd floor; 1 Color Inkjet; 1 higher-end Photo)
2 NAS drives
2 Game Consoles
1 Roku
1 Smart TV
(+2 dumb flatscreen TVs - one has a game-console connected giving us NetFlix/Prime; the other has the Roku connected).
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

OP, I don't think that's excessive at all.

E.g. husband, wife, 2yo and 8mo old:

1 TV (w/ AppleTV) (Still going strong from 2012. We watch VERY little TV.)
1 iPhone 5 (I really want something with TouchID, but I can't justify spending the money when this phone works well.)
1 iPhone 7 (My wife used side work to save up for this. She loves it for photos/videos of the kids.)
1 iPad Mini 2 (My dad [a total techie] bought this for us as a house-warming present 2 years ago.)
1 Desktop (Windows PC, no clue otherwise. It's pretty much just a backup storage device and my working-remotely computer.)

Looking at the new iPad Pro after another recent thread on this board, but the price tag is way too high right now. :moneybag
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Me:
1 desktop computer (self-built: Windows 7, i7 6700k, 32GB DDR4-3200, GTX 1080, 256GB SSD, 6TB HDD, Blu-ray drive)
1 cell phone (LG MyTouch Q running Android 2.3.6)
1 TV (61" 1080p; it's from 2006, but no need to replace it yet)
1 NES
1 NES Classic
1 SNES
1 Nintendo 64
1 GameCube
1 Wii
1 Wii U
1 Playstation
1 Xbox
1 Blu-ray player
1 VCR

Wife:
1 laptop computer (getting old and needs to be replaced)
1 printer/scanner
1 tablet
1 cell phone (don't know what kind, but it's newer than mine. Maybe two years old?)

I think that's all our electronic devices. Not much for TV-watching, but plenty for gaming. We have a three-month old baby, who, of course, has no electronic devices, but I'm not the kind of person who would buy a phone or tablet for my kids. Desktop computer, sure.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

The most important one is my wife. The rest I could do without. :wink:

Too many to count when you include electronic (i.e. with computer chip) timers, clocks, surge protectors, LED lightbulbs and flashlights, battery chargers, and such. If you really stop to think about it probably in the hundreds range. :shock:
BL

Post by BL »

Mostly one user:
desktop refurbished (just replaced dying desktop)
laptop refurbished
Chromebook (old)
IPAD 3 refurbished
Smart phone
smart phone used with WiFi, not phone connected
2 non-smart phones + landline
printer WiFi + Ethernet
Nook - gift
Kindle - prize
Amazon Echo Dot
Smart TV
Roku
Computerized Sewing Machine
??
Last edited by BL on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

the following:

2 iPhone 6s plus
2 iPhone 4s (not being used now)
2 iPadPros (9.5)
2 (original) older iPads (not being used now)
2 MacBookPros
1 (2006) older MacBookPro (rarely used now)
2 iWatches
1 SurfacePro4 (rarely used)

As you can see, it's Apple all the way in our house.
Don't anticipate any non-Apple devices in our household now or in the future.

Don
Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

mega317 wrote:What's your concern that makes you ask the question? I'd think it's only a problem if you are spending money you can't afford, or if you are concerned about e-waste.
I'm just wondering how others divide up their technological devices per person. My wife had a flip phone and "brick" PC laptop when we married, almost 5 years ago. She loathed the idea of a smartphone, but of course she's in love with it now.

Our 3.5 year old can already open the $150 Acer Chromebook and get her favorite Youtube video to play. That was my wife's computer. So, I just got her a new Chromebook Plus - the first Chromebook I've seen under $400 with (about) Apple quality display. She uses it for digital photo "scrapbooking" like Shutterfly so the screen was a huge selling point.

Then we have the iPad mini.... You wouldn't think a 4 month old could hog an iPad, but the "white noise" app is a lifesaver during nap time (which is very often at that age). We have to remember to pack find and pack it when going out, since it takes the place of just about any coloring or toys we might bring to entertain the 3.5 year old on long trips (or for sitting quietly in church).

It is amazing how these little bits of plastic/metal/glass that no one thought about a few years ago take up such a chunk of our interest, time, and budgets. My only computer is a MacBook Pro which I resell every 3 years and buy new, which keeps it snappy and current.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

kjvmartin wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I might be a little overboard. I'm not a big traveler or spender in most areas. I'd rather wear the same clothes for years than shell out for new stuff, but I do love technology. I'm not to the point where I'm an early adopter and nothing I have is high end, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm a little overboard.

You're understocked. :sharebeer

Our family...

4 iPhones
3 Mac Desktops
4 Mac laptops
1 Alexa
1 iPad
1 Droid Tablet
3 iPods
5 flat screen TVs
2 Bluetooth Speakers
3 Satellite Radios
1 PlayStation 4
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

I have too many smartphones
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

We're a retired couple:

2 iPhone 6's
1 Macbook Pro
1 Macbook Air
1 iPad mini (pretty old one)
1 Apple TV
1 Samsung 50" TV
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

2:
Smart phone
Computer
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

livesoft wrote:If I get a new piece of tech, I make sure to get rid of an old piece of tech, so I have a steady state.

When I was working, I owned no tech of my own, but had an employer-provided smart phone and laptop.

I have a pushbutton landline phone (not rotary, not cordless), an LCD watch/HRM, an answering machine, a TV, a microcell, and a router, too. Do those count as "tech"?

I have never bought anything from iTunes.

PS: My dog has a chip inserted into his rump.
Very similar to us except we have a GPS tracking device on our cats collar.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

2 of us, me retired
- Windows 10 desktop (new-ish)
- Windows 10 laptop (late middle aged)
- home network with file sharing
- wireless laser printer
- dye sub photo printer
- HD TV and Blu-Ray
- mp3 players
- Amazon Alexa
- Fire HD Tablet
- old Kindle e-reader
- Nexus 6p smartphone
- dumb phone (barely "tech" I suppose)
- usb stereo recording mike
- photo scanner
- new device from my electrical utility that via android gives me real-time electrical usage (yeah, I've gone over the edge but it's part of a free "test program)

I'm bucking the trend in my old age - I enjoy tech more now than I ever did while working. 3 reasons - it's gotten MUCH easier and faster to setup and use, when stuff goes wrong I have the time to properly deal with it, and it facilitates 3 things I love (music, photography and reading).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Two adults and one kid in college. I have 35 reserved ip addresses on my router, so that is the lowest possible number. There may be a few more somewhere. We have no wireless security cameras or home-automation devices yet, so there is still room to grow.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Family of 4 (two college age kids):

4 Samsung Galaxy S6 smart phones
iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad 2 *, iPad Mini *
iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPod Nano 3rd Gen
3 desktop computers
2 laptop computers
2 wifi routers for coverage
5 flat panel TVs
1 vintage large screen projection TV *
2 PS3 consoles, 2 PS2 consoles *, Original Xbox *, Wii *, Sega Genesis * (I'm killer on Sonic the Hedgehog 2)
1 home theater stereo system
1 vintage early 80's stereo system with working turntable *

* Used only occasionally - we tend not to throw stuff away
jbird11

Post by jbird11 »

Family of 4 (9yo, 5yo)

At home:
1 MacBook Pro
2 MacBook Air
3 iphones
4 ipads
3 Kindle Fires
2 Apple TVs
1 Wireless printer
1 Alexa Echo Dot
Apple Air Port router
No cable, but Netflix & Amz Prime
Nest Thermostat
Roomba floor robot

Oh, and a Hoverboard.
zuzimb

Post by zuzimb »

Just me;

Windows 10 Desktop (2 years old - self built)
Windows 10 high end laptop (4 years old, doubles as travel computer and media center)
2 Android phones (have an older model as backup)
iTouch
2 Echo Dots
1 TV
1 Stereo system for tv
Fish tank (has a number of non-traditional "tech")
1 Xbox 360
1 Wii

I consider myself a techie and would have much more if there was money available for it, as it is I prioritize things that I use most and keep those updated.
jucor

Post by jucor »

2 of us:

1 2013 Macbook Pro
1 2013 Mac mini
1 iPad mini 3
1 Brother wi-fi network laser printer
1 iPod Touch (connected to speaker in basement/exercise room)
2 Apple Airport Express routers serving to extend network/serve music to speakers
1 Apple Airport Extreme router
2 Kindle Paperwhites
1 Nokia candybar phone (light, tiny, incredible battery life)
1 Android smartphone w/regular service
2 cheapo Android phones never activated on cellular, used on wifi for VOIP
1 Roku 3
1 26" Samsung smart TV
1 Garmin bike GPS
1 Garmin Virb action camera w/GPS & wifi
1 Canon SX700HS camera w/GPS & wifi
furwut

Post by furwut »

2008 MacBook Pro
IPad (4th Gen)
IPhone 6S with pay-as-you go cell plan
ancient HP inkjet printer
Airport Express Router

Just ordered a new iPad Pro 10.5" with Smart Keyboard. The old iPad will go to a family member. Hope is that the new iPad will obviate the need to replace the laptop.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

35 IP networked devices at home. Probably 300+ tech devices still in use overall.
And a couple hundred more in drawers.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

35 devices in my routers dhcp table. So if maybe 5 of them are guests.... 30 devices?

A family of 4.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

OP - interesting question/thread. I think your gadget inventory isn't excessive.

We are a family of 4 (one in middle and another in elem.) and this is our list of personal gadgets:

Cell phones - 2 (4 year old iPhone 5s)
Laptops - 2 (4 year old Dell Latitude running Win 10, 3 year old Lenovo running Win7)
Tablets - 2 (4 year Nexus 10, 2 year old Amazon Fire)
TV - 1 (10 year old 46" Sony)
Gaming - 2 (3 year old XBox One, 5 year old Nintendo Wii)

A couple years ago we cut the cable cord and we use our XBox to stream Netflix and Hulu.

PS: As a software engineer I use a company provided laptop for work.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

Just me -

1 smartphone in use
1 smartphone as a backup (my old one)
1 desktop computer with 4 monitors
1 laptop
1 2-in-1 laptop/tablet
1 xbox one
1 smart tv
1 Roku
1 NAS
1 wifi 4-in-one printer
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

did not read other posts subsequent to yours. "smart tv" should only be counted if you count tv in general as a "smart" device. read about smart tv's, and you find out that they are not very good at keeping up w/ shifts in tech, so I would not count them.

that said, you look pretty average to me. clearly not overboard.
Toons

Post by Toons »

My Spouse and "Me" :mrgreen:
3 chromebooks
1 chromebox
3 android phones(s8 s7 s5)
2 ipods
1 laptop
2 desktops
1 Amazon echo
2 Amazon dots
1 Smart Tv
3 tablets
3 bluetooth headsets
4 bluetooth speakers
1 Robotic vacuum
1 Google Onhub router
1 Google mesh device
1 wi fi thermostat
2 wireless phone chargers
2 external drives
3 wireless keyboards
3 chromecasts
I think I am missing something though
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Toons on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

TallBoy29er wrote:did not read other posts subsequent to yours. "smart tv" should only be counted if you count tv in general as a "smart" device. read about smart tv's, and you find out that they are not very good at keeping up w/ shifts in tech, so I would not count them.

that said, you look pretty average to me. clearly not overboard.
We use ours for Amazon until they finally add it to the Apple TV. Then we can buy a dumb TV. Although I do own 1 or 2 moves in Google Play, since I had a few free credits to use.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Have:
Laptop PC
iPhone
Chromecast
Apple TV (older version - don't need it, but the remote is a work of art)
Fitbit

Could easily get by with:
Chromebook
Chromecast
Cheaper andriod phone
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Me, Personal:
Laptop (Thinkpad)
Tablet (Galaxy Tab S2)
Phone (Nexus 5X)
Digital Camera stuff (Micro 4/3, a couple of bodies and a few lenses)

Me, Work:
Laptop (rMBP)
Phone (Galaxy S6)

Wife:
Laptop (rMBP)
Phone (OnePlus 3T)
Tablet (Shield K1)

Daughter, age 13:
Laptop (older non-Retina MBP)
Phone (Moto G5)
Tablet (Shield K1)
Chromebook (Dell Chromebook 11, original version)
School-issued iPad

Shared infrastructure:
Cable modem
Router
Wireless laser printer
Media server (repurposed laptop)
Fuji ix500 document scanner
TV with Chromecast and Fire stick (barely counts as tech, just a glorified display)
Lots of many-port USB chargers, small pile of power packs, etc
23" monitor (sort of a floater, older)
27" monitor with Chromecast + DisplayPort (doubles as my work-from-home monitor and a bedroom TV)

Old stuff ('unassigned spare'):
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto G3

So counting work and school machines and shared infrastructure, for 3 humans, we have:

6 laptops (including one that's really a server)
5 tablets (one spare)
5 cell phones (one spare)
two monitors, one with a Chromecast
basic network infrastructure
one printer
one high speed scanner
one fairly nice micro 4/3 digital camera setup
one TV with Chromecast and fire stick
and all of the charging infrastructure
Last edited by badger42 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

30? Two of us.
catdude

Post by catdude »

OP, you've got nothing to worry about.

My one-person household:

1 iMac
1 iPhone SE
1 iPad mini 4
1 trusty old Logitech squeezebox boom
(music player / internet radio)
1 Sangean internet radio
1 Amazon Echo
2 Echo dots
2 Amazon Taps
1 Amazon fire stick

This doesn't count a bunch of old devices, gathering dust, that I don't use anymore
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Two of us growing up in the 50s, you know,
each household had one 12" black & white TV, one phone for the whole family, as well as one bathroom. One of us had a 4 slice toaster...

so the two of us now have burst into the 20th, yes 20th century with one desktop, one mini iPad, 2 cell phones - decidedly dumb, 2 (relatively) small 40 " TVs [color] and 6-7 cordless phones scattered around the house

um, oh yes, now we each have a bathroom
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I shudder to count:

2 4k TVs
2 1080P TVs
1 1080i TV
1 768p TV
3 AV receivers
3 TiVos
2 TiVo Minis
2 Rokus
1 Roku stick
1 Fire stick
2 PS3s
1 PS4
1 XBox 360
1 Xbox One
1 Nintendo Switch
1 DSi XL
1 3DS XL
1 Cisco Router
1 AeroHive AP
5 HP Ethernet Switches
1 Dell MFP
1 Laserjet
2 Inkjets
1 Surface Pro 3
2 Surface Pro 4s
1 24" iMac
1 Amazon Echo
4 smartphones
3 fitbits
2 iPad Minis
1 iPad Air
1 iPad (original)
1 iPad 2 (non-functional)
1 Android tablet
5 Kindles
2 Kindle Fires
1 Ring Doorbell
6 Nest Smoke Detectors
1 iComfort thermostat
1 Wifi Smoker temp controller

That's all I can think of right now, although I'm sure there's more. Household of 4.
Last edited by lazydavid on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPH

Post by JPH »

1 desktop computer
1 flip phone
1 Amazon Echo (a gift)

I have never heard of many of the items mentioned by others.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Computers and accessories, tablets, smartphones:

2008 MacBook
2008 Mac Pro
Canon printer/scanner
Nikon film scanner
2010 iMac (my office computer until I retired recently)
2012? iPad mini
2015 iPhone 5s

Other phones:

Ancient Nokia non-smartphone
Landline speakerphone and caller-ID box

Network infrastructure:

DSL modem/router
Ethernet switch
3 powerline network adapters
Apple Airport Express (wireless adapter)

Audio/video center:

2005 32" LCD TV (non-smart)
TiVo
Rotator for rooftop antenna
Digital TV converter box (used only for its signal meter when adjusting the antenna)
Apple TV (mainly for streaming music from iTunes on the Mac Pro)
NAD home theater receiver
Pair of PSB Image bookshelf stereo speakers
Oppo Blu-ray player
Philips DVD player
Toshiba HD DVD player
Harmony universal remote control

Other A/V equipment, for digitizing LPs

Pro-Ject LP turntable
Parasound phono preamp with USB output
Last edited by 22twain on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
garnertr

Post by garnertr »

2 - smartphones
1 - kids tablet
1 - chromebook
1 - pc
1 - drobo x 4 hard-drive (around 15tb of storage)
1 - external western digital hard-drive
1 - smart tv (55-inch) - livingroom
1 - dumb tv (20-inch) - bedroom

that is it. I'm thinking about tinkering around w/ Raspberry Pi or Latte Panda builds for fun - but this is a long term hobby - not actually started anything

I stay up on the conversations but tech wise I'm pretty low maintenance - the phones and drobo+hd's are the only things that I actually paid for, everything else has been given to us as gifts or due to upgrades from family members and they pass down to us b/c I'll take it! :)