Watch Batteries

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Watch Batteries

Post by CountryBoy »

I have a watch that needs battery replacement every year @$7.50/year. I am told that I can not put a battery in it that lasts longer than a year.

Yes, I have a cell phone with the time on it but there is no reason for me to carry a cell phone or smart phone with me all the time.

Is there an alternative to paying $7.50 / year?

No, I don't think I would be too good at doing it myself. No tools.

Thanks.
Avo

Re: Watch Batteries

Post by Avo »

Solar-powered watches from Citizen, Seiko, Casio.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I gave up on my nicer watch and now just use $12 Casio watches - they last about 3 years if the band doesn't break. I just replace the whole watch. A bonus is it is waterproof.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Chip

Post by Chip »

Buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon and replace them yourself. Less than $1 apiece.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Interesting options.

Do the solar powered watches really work?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

only during the day 8-)
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
CABob

Post by CABob »

Bob
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

CountryBoy wrote:I am told that I can not put a battery in it that lasts longer than a year.
My watch battery regularly lasts about five years so I don't understand this statement. I used to buy several watch batteries at a time but found that they gradually discharge by the time I need them so now I just buy one as needed from the local electronics shack for less than a buck and replace it myself.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Chip wrote:Buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon and replace them yourself. Less than $1 apiece.
I bought a band removal tool and 4 batteries for about $10 combined.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This beauty has a 7 year battery. The ageless Casio F-91W. Sleek. Elegant. Hip. Functional.

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Cla ... casio+f91w
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Get yourself a decent automatic watch. Much more fun than any battery watch! :mrgreen:

Budget: Seiko
Mid range: Rolex
High end: Patek...
Avo

Post by Avo »

CountryBoy wrote:Do the solar powered watches really work?
Absolutely. I'm a bit of a watch nut; 3 of my watches are solar powered (two Citizens and one Casio). One of the Citizens is 10 years old & still going strong. Citizen claims that their "EcoDrive" light-powering system will run 20 years with only a 20% loss in capacity. And they do not need much light to keep going; daily wear is more than enough. When not in use, leave it out to absorb whatever ambient light there is.
Kuckie

Post by Kuckie »

I have a watch that needs battery replacement every year @$7.50/year.
Perhaps you need a different brand watch. I have 3 Casio WaveCeptors (connects with NIST daily to self adjust time) and they only require battery replacement every 10 years. And the batteries are less than $10. Plus there are numerous solar watches.
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

One of my relatives purchased a self-winding watch in the 70s. It was a Seiko and I'm actually not sure how much it cost him. That said, when he passed away, it was given to me. It still works and keeps the time well enough, since I have to re-set it for daylight savings time twice a year anyways. Anyways, my point is that if you can get an affordable, self-winding watch. Do that, I dislike not having a working watch on my wrist so not having to worry about batteries is a huge plus for me.
Abe

Post by Abe »

You can buy Sunbeam alkaline watch batteries at Dollar Tree stores. Four batteries in a package cost $1.00. I use them in my cheap $12 Walmart watch and they last a long time. It's not hard to replace the batteries. Just pop the little cover off on back of watch and put in a new one.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Avo

Post by Avo »

Self-winding mechanical watches (I own ~10 or so) will not be nearly as accurate as a battery or solar powered watch. An inexpensive one can be off by half-a-minute a day or more; even the very high end watches are guaranteed accurate only to 5 sec/day.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

You can buy a tool kit for watches for a few dollars and change the battery yourself. The batteries are very inexpensive and it takes about two minutes with the right tools.

I had a watch ruined by someone trying to change the battery who didn't know what they were doing. You would think someone behind a watch counter would at least know enough not to try to force a watch back open without the proper tools, but that's not necessarily true. You would also think that if you pay a jewelry store that is an authorized brand dealer $25 or $30 to change the battery and put in a new gasket and do a check-up that they would at least replace the gasket instead of just changing the batter, but that's not necessarily true, either.

So unless it is both an expensive watch and you can trust the person to change the battery correctly and do whatever other maintenance is needed, just do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable removing the back of your watch and are afraid you might scratch it, practice on a cheap watch first. You can also find videos online showing how to do it and that can be very helpful for specific brands.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

I will guiltily admit that sometimes I have purchased a new $15 watch from Amazon rather than bother to change the battery in my old watch.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

It depends how nice your watch is.

If it's not an important watch to you, consider going battery-solar. I had the same problem you had for years, but I don't mind wearing cheap digital watches, so I found a Casio "Tough Solar" watch, and I haven't had any battery issues whatsoever in the 3 years I've owned it.

Watch repair kits are not expensive on Amazon and you can learn to change the batteries yourself otherwise.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

lthenderson wrote:
CountryBoy wrote:I am told that I can not put a battery in it that lasts longer than a year.
My watch battery regularly lasts about five years so I don't understand this statement. I used to buy several watch batteries at a time but found that they gradually discharge by the time I need them so now I just buy one as needed from the local electronics shack for less than a buck and replace it myself.
Agree, I have a Seiko and the batteries usually last several years - 5 or more. I'd look into a new watch.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> No, I don't think I would be too good at doing it myself. No tools.

The tool required is something thin enough to pry off the back cover.

Really- this is one of the really easy things to do. If you don't want to do it then swallow hard and pay the 7 bucks.
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

Avo wrote:Self-winding mechanical watches (I own ~10 or so) will not be nearly as accurate as a battery or solar powered watch. An inexpensive one can be off by half-a-minute a day or more; even the very high end watches are guaranteed accurate only to 5 sec/day.
You have to adjust both every six months to account for daylight savings time. When you do that, just make sure you adjust it properly and it will be good enough for another 6 months.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

going battery-solar
Could people please clarify "solar"? If I don't wear the watch outside and all it has is the ambient light in a house; then will it still keep correct time?
Avo

Post by Avo »

Yes, generally indoor daily ambient room light is enough to keep a solar watch charged up indefinitely.

Also, they all have some sort of low-charge indicator; if that ever happens, put it in sunlight for a few hours.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I rarely wear my two watches. Their batteries seem to last more than 3 years. In case one battery is discharged I stop by a store such as Walmart and they replace the battery for a few bucks, no problem.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Most grateful for the answers.

Post by 123 »

I used to go to a fancy shop to get the family watch batteries replaced. Very tidy and clean store and always got the job done fast because it was never busy. The batteries lasted a year but not much longer. When he raised his price from $15 a battery swap to $20 a battery swap I decided to try elsewhere.

I saw a small store on a side street with a sign saying "Watch batteries". It was on the edge of an ethnic downtown area. I stopped in and started getting our watch batteries changed for $5 apiece and found that the batteries lasted 2 to 3 years. Sure, the shop is sometimes busy and I might have to wait. We have various brands of watch and some of the back covers screw off and others pop off. I didn't want to be blamed by spouse for wrecking a watch so I've always used a jeweler. For $5 for battery and installation it's just not worth it to try to do it myself. You never know where you'll find the best service.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

i have a $20 Casio digital watch that has a 10 year battery in it.

years ago i had a self-winding Seiko. after some amount of years it had to be cleaned or it would quit running. i forget how much that cost.
Focus on what you can control
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Citizen watch, affordable for how long they last. I hated getting batteries changed.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Chip wrote:Buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon and replace them yourself. Less than $1 apiece.

This - cheap and easy to do.
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

$7.50 is probably not insane if you use the watch regularly. However, it is unfortunate, since unless it's a $5000 watch or something, you could end up paying more for battery replacement than for the original watch.

If this is the case, maybe finding another watch is a good idea.

Also, conserving the battery power may help- if there is a light on the watch to illuminate it, consider refraining from using it excessively.
wander

Post by wander »

I got a Citizen eco-drive watch. This technology is pretty cool as the watch is just like a regular watch without any solar plate. Indoor ambient light is more than enough. I have to adjust the calendar for months with 28, 29, and 30 days. It seems off a few seconds but I use the above events to adjust it accordingly. I don't like having people changing batteries because if they make mistake, the watch is not water-resistance any more.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

When we bought DW's watch (a battery-operated Citizen) in 2004 at a mall jewelry store, we got a lifetime battery replacement plan for a small upfront payment of $12.95. It's paid off for itself many times over. Just replaced the battery for the sixth time last week. In fact, the original seller was acquired by another company which has continued to honor the plan.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

CountryBoy wrote:I have a watch that needs battery replacement every year @$7.50/year. I am told that I can not put a battery in it that lasts longer than a year.

Yes, I have a cell phone with the time on it but there is no reason for me to carry a cell phone or smart phone with me all the time.

Thanks.
I assume you're objecting to the inconvenience of having the battery run out unexpectedly and then replacing it every year, not $7.50. It would be very sad if you were complaining about spending $7.50 a year.

My watch battery outlast the face of the watch (it gets scratched during normal use) and the strap. So every few years I buy a new watch for about $20. So, still about $7.50 a year, but I don't wait until it's an emergency to replace it. So that's one way to go.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

CountryBoy wrote:Interesting options.

Do the solar powered watches really work?
Yes, but they also use indoor light. I own the Citizen Eco Drive and love it. Great looking watch that cost about $125.

On a site note, I really hope you are interested in this because you don't like the inconvenience and not for the price. I recently replaced the band on my watch and that cost $40. But really, what's the big deal, change it every year on your birthday whether it needs it or not.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

lthenderson wrote:
For years I used to get the batteries in my watches replaced at the local watch-and-clock repair shop. The batteries never ever EVER lasted longer than a year. Since the cost was $7.50 and that's about the price I paid for my watches :D I decided to start changing the batteries myself with batteries bought cheaply on Amazon. Guess what? The cheap Amazon batteries have been lasting 4-5 years.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bought my last watch battery from Radio Shack and clerk installed it for free. Don't remember price, but it seemed reasonable at the time.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Changing watch batteries is not that complicated. Most either have a pop-off or a twist-off back. For twist-off backs you can buy a special tool but in my case I use a long pair of needle nose pliers (only did it once so far - I don't understand why your batteries only last a year). For one of my more expensive watches it would cost $150 to have the battery officially replaced (they won't replace it without other servicing) - I did it myself with a pair of pliers (but if you want to use the tool it is not that expensive). Just go to YouTube and search one "(Name of your watch) battery change".
For your watch - is it a chronograph and are you letting the chronograph run constantly? That will wear down the battery much faster.
wgr

Post by wgr »

I've been using Batteries Plus for watch batteries for 5-7 years. Batteries Plus has a lifetime guarantee on watch batteries. I've had 2-3 batteries replaced with no charge.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

This is what my watch looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNE031-Sta ... ko+watches

It's not fancy,but like my cars-basic, reliable, and low maintenance.
Abe

Post by Abe »

bluebolt wrote:I will guiltily admit that sometimes I have purchased a new $15 watch from Amazon rather than bother to change the battery in my old watch.
A lot of people do this. I saw a fellow at a flea market one time, and he had a box full of non-working watches he bought at an auction for $5 for the entire box. He was replacing the batteries with new batteries he bought 4 for a dollar (.25c each) at a Dollar Tree store. He said most people just buy a new watch when their battery goes out, and after putting in the new batteries, he was selling the watches for $5 each. Not a bad profit. :happy
fittan

Post by fittan »

I just got a citizen ecodrive and love it. Great and proven technology, reasonable priced. Watch automatically charges using any light source (even ambient light indoors). It can run in complete darkness for up to 6 months before the battery is depleted. here's a link to some option.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss ... MBXNM182KP
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Thank you; they look great.

But where on the front is the panel for charging. I don't see it.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Have 3, Citizen Eco. 2 are E870 , 1 is a med-alert found at a garage sale and is a throwaway at $5. All were found at a pawn shop or garage sale.
I got tired of replacing batteries. My Accutron (tuning fork) was ruined by an inept jeweler.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
hudson

Post by hudson »

CountryBoy wrote:I have a watch that needs battery replacement every year @$7.50/year. I am told that I can not put a battery in it that lasts longer than a year.

Thanks.
The Garmin Vivoactive HR likely won't work for you unless you're an exercise person...it uses a rechargeable battery and needs charging about every 7 days...or more depending. If you are an exercise/gadget person, it's worth a look.

https://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/20 ... _thumb.jpg
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Get a kit like this and change the battery yourself. You can spend more on a kit and get a case and more tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-16-Piece ... B006VWVX1Q
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Luke Duke wrote:Get a kit like this and change the battery yourself. You can spend more on a kit and get a case and more tools.

Does this kit (and other ones like it) come with instructions and/or examples of uses?
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

No, but I'm sure that there are plenty of examples on YouTube.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Luke Duke wrote:Get a kit like this and change the battery yourself. You can spend more on a kit and get a case and more tools.

You can get this on Ebay for $5.00 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stalwart-16-Pie ... Swq~tZPwdI
Abe

Post by Abe »

Abe wrote:

You can get this on Ebay for $5.00 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stalwart-16-Pie ... Swq~tZPwdI
Edited to add: I'm sorry. I thought it was a "buy it now". Actually the bid starts at $5 so you may not be able to get it for $5. My mistake.