Dehumidifier woes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mrc

Re: Dehumidifier woes

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:38 am

Longtermgrowth wrote:
DippityDoo wrote:I strongly recommend the Dayton plug.
Looked it up and the price isn't too bad. The specs I find on it say that it has a "Differential +/- 1 RH %", which I'm thinking would be equivalent to a 2% swing going by what I was saying earlier. That would be the only thing discouraging me, since I want the larger humidity swing to have the unit cycle less.
I saw that spec too and paused. I'm wondering if 2% is OK for preventing rapid cycling if the control plug isn't right next to the unit. We're talking heavy duty extension cord to get the controller farther away from the source of moisture.

Edit to add: I also wonder if cutting the power to the unit would interfere with the Automatic Defrost feature: "When frost builds up on the evaporator coils, the compressor will cycle off and the fan will continue to run until the frost disappears. When the coil is defrosted, the compressor or fan will automatically restart and dehumidifying will resume."
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 am

Where are you people living that you need these?

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am

mouses wrote:Where are you people living that you need these?
In my case, central MD; unconditioned basement. It gets very humid in the summer. If you mean just the controller plug, I would like it if big-box store units lasted longer than 2-4 years. If moving the sensor away from the unit helps, it's worth it.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:08 am

You need one even in northern New England in an unconditioned basement which is typical.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Western PA. Checked humidity in basement and it was at 84%. Turned on the dehumidifier and set it for 55%. I do it a few times a day. I don't leave it on all the time although I could and it would probably run continuously.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the humidistat info LTG & DD. Hmm. I was thinking of getting the Frigidaire 50pt/day FFAD5033R1. After all the anecdotal commentary on this thread, I'm not expecting a long life out of whatever I end up with. I'll surely go for the energy star 2+L/kwh, but after that, it seems like shooting in the dark.

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Bengineer wrote:I was thinking of getting the Frigidaire 50pt/day FFAD5033R1.
That's the model I have. It does a great job removing moisture. I just can't vouch for its durability.

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm

I placed a small fan that blows at the front of the dehumidifier and that prevents the short cycling and also keeps air moving around.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:39 am

I live in South Central Florida. I had one of the few houses in that part of the world with a basement.

I also have had to replace humidifiers fairly often. Last time I bought I bought 3 instead of one at Loews. They seemed to share the load in the basement and were still running when I sold the house. When I only had one in the basement I am wondering if I burned it out trying to carry too much load on its own.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 am

Virginia. Have one in my finished basement and a couple in my unfinished sealed crawlspace/mechanical room.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm

mrc wrote: I saw that spec too and paused. I'm wondering if 2% is OK for preventing rapid cycling if the control plug isn't right next to the unit. We're talking heavy duty extension cord to get the controller farther away from the source of moisture.

Edit to add: I also wonder if cutting the power to the unit would interfere with the Automatic Defrost feature: "When frost builds up on the evaporator coils, the compressor will cycle off and the fan will continue to run until the frost disappears. When the coil is defrosted, the compressor or fan will automatically restart and dehumidifying will resume."
I'm sure it would still be much better than relying on the dehumidistat built into the cheaper dehumidifiers, but I would avoid the extension cord if possible. Just being a few feet away from the unit and away from discharge air should be good enough.
If it were to cut power to it during defrost, I would imagine any frost would be long gone by the next time it cycles on.

I did some searching today and came across a neat looking controller that lets you set on and off humidity range (swing percentage control in your hands!), along with having a setting to let it control a dehumidifier OR humidifier if one wanted: WILLHI WH1436H

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote: I did some searching today and came across a neat looking controller that lets you set on and off humidity range (swing percentage control in your hands!), along with having a setting to let it control a dehumidifier OR humidifier if one wanted: WILLHI WH1436H
I like the corded sensor on this, I can get it that much farther away from the dehumidifier. I placed an order for this. Thanks!

My n=1 experiment continues ...

Houe

Post by Houe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm

It might not be the best idea to cycle power at the plug to control humidity. That might be tough on the unit. There very likely is a power down algorithm built into the unit to bring down pressures and temperatures internal to the compressor.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Houe wrote:It might not be the best idea to cycle power at the plug to control humidity. That might be tough on the unit. There very likely is a power down algorithm built into the unit to bring down pressures and temperatures internal to the compressor.
+1. If memory serves, at least with the Frigidaire units, there is a fan only no compressor cycle at the end of each dehumidification cycle that is designed to help dry the coils and prolong life. Cutting power at the cord would cause this cycle to be skipped. Whether or not it is necessary or common to other brands of dehumidifiers I couldn't tell you.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 pm

queso wrote:
Houe wrote:It might not be the best idea to cycle power at the plug to control humidity. That might be tough on the unit. There very likely is a power down algorithm built into the unit to bring down pressures and temperatures internal to the compressor.
+1. If memory serves, at least with the Frigidaire units, there is a fan only no compressor cycle at the end of each dehumidification cycle that is designed to help dry the coils and prolong life. Cutting power at the cord would cause this cycle to be skipped. Whether or not it is necessary or common to other brands of dehumidifiers I couldn't tell you.
I'm pretty sure my old Kenmore (and perhaps others) did the same. The main reason why I won't mess with the remote unit though it might be appealing otherwise. (Especially since I have the extended warranty and don't want to void it via some action deemed improper.)

I've got the finagling with with the settings down to a science in any case. :beer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

queso

Post by queso » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 am

Blues wrote:
queso wrote:
I'm pretty sure my old Kenmore (and perhaps others) did the same. The main reason why I won't mess with the remote unit though it might be appealing otherwise. (Especially since I have the extended warranty and don't want to void it via some action deemed improper.)

I've got the finagling with with the settings down to a science in any case. :beer
I was thinking about this some more and although it may not be optimal we cut power to the unit all the time in the middle of the cycle. My family turns it off whenever they go in the basement to watch TV since the noise is annoying and I dump the bucket twice a day around the same time whether it is in mid-cycle or not. I guess interrupting it with an inline power switch is no different.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 am

You're probably right, queso, I just don't feel a need to introduce more complexity and potential points of failure into the system at this juncture when I pretty much have it dialed in, despite it not being anywhere near perfect.

Food for thought in future, however...or if something goes amiss in the short term.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson