Vue/Sling tv users--what do you miss?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ecorp

Vue/Sling tv users--what do you miss?

Post by Ecorp » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Been looking into playstation vue or sling TV as alternatives to cable. I would save close to $60/month. I have the newer xfinity cable which is very nice. Slick menus, fast, voice remote..

Is there anything you miss/dislike about it. I have done the free trial. Not having CBS is kinda a pain, weekend golf and football. That was biggest thing I noticed.

pondering

Re: Vue/Sling tv users--what do you miss?

Post by pondering » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm

My two favorite shows are 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday morning.

I guess this is a nonstarter for me.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm

I do sling and get the basic cable package to get the networks. I also nave Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm pretty happy with this setup. At times, Sling quality is not as good as cable, but usually it's good.
Mark

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I recently switched from the very slick X1 platform on Xfinity to Play Station VUE. For me the pluses fare outweigh the negatives and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But to answer your questions as to things I miss:

1) Local sports channel - I live in the Denver area and I do not get the local channel channel that carried the MLB Rockies games. This is about the only sporting related coverage I don't get. I can get all the sporting events I watched previously by a combination of Playstation Vue and various apps such as ESPNWatch(All the ABC sporting events), Fox Sports Go (NFL) and NBC Sports (Sunday Night Football. I get all the college football I had before. Note:In Denver Playstation carries CBS local but not NBC local, ABC local or Fox local.

2) Never having any buffering issues. I must say this is an infrequent even for me and almost always short lived but it does happen occasionally.

3) Easier to channel surf before, but I can go to the last channel quickly (FireTV) but it is more difficult to go through the channels and get the programming information versus the Xfinity platform.

4) I am in the mid-priced package and there are a couple of channels I previously had that I don't get that I miss.
Last edited by Copper John on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Vuer here. I miss Viacom channels (History Channel and Nick Jr.) occasionally but not enough to switch to Sling.

keystone

Post by keystone » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 pm

The only thing I really miss are my favorite CBS shows. I did just sign up for a one week free trial of CBS All Access and it's nice to binge watch all the shows I've missed the last six months. I may just end up paying for a month or two to fully catch up. Other than that, I don't think there's anything I miss. One thing I've noticed is that our live TV viewing has gone down significantly since we switched to Vue. The cloud dvr feature is great. I don't see myself ever switching back to traditional cable.

I agree with the previous poster that navigating through the channels is more tedious. It would be nice to have channel up and down buttons. But you do get used to it.

acunn

Post by acunn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Maybe miss the dvr for the network channels we get with antenna. But the savings is huge and most things I can use the google chrome to cast from the networks app after it airs anyway. The savings is Worth it to us.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:45 pm

cbs is 6 bucks a month...

renue74

Post by renue74 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:50 pm

I had had VUE for about one year. We were paying $160 month to direct TV.....never again.

I found our viewing habits changed to fit what was supplied on vue.

We actually get our local market CBS channel in our vue package. We still watch it a lot.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:00 pm

We've had SlingTV and digital antenna(s) for a while now and I can't say I miss anything. When I had cable TV, we mainly watched ESPN, CNN, HGTV, History, Travel, AMC, A&E, DIY Network, Food Network, and occasionally Golf, TNT and TBS...come to think of it, since SlingTV doesn't carry the Golf channel and DIY, maybe those are the only things I miss...but not by much. Digital antennas provide HD quality local channels and it works pretty well.
Last edited by Van-Guard23 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm missing the USA/Mexico soccer game right now because I don't pay for the Sports upgrade on Sling. It happens infrequently enough that it's not worth the extra cost to me.

I have an over-the-air antenna for local content.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:09 pm

I had Sling for about a year...and then switched to Vue. I also have a Tablo DVR for antenna content. It all gets sent to my Roku boxes.
Really the only thing that I miss is having one singular user interface that utilizes the traditional live-TV grid for both local channels and "cable" channels. I find that I do quite a bit more menu navigating than I did with traditional cable.

Other than that...I have all the content I need (and more). The price is right. And I LOVE having the ability to swap between Sling/Vue/Hulu/DirectTV now based on their price/features/content at any given time. No Techs to deal with. No boxes to return.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Maxwell the pig.

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Nothing... I have Sling and only use it for college football and to catch Doctor Who...

I just don't watch much television anymore. We do get 18 digital channels on our on air stations, including the big four and PBS, so that makes it much easier for us to cut the cord.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:10 am

Have Vue. Tivo with antenna wired to 7 TV's. Roku or Apple box at each. Subscribe to Netflix, Vue & Amazon Prime. There is nothing we miss about traditional cable tv or satellite. Only live tv we watch is local news & Seminoles football. I have never had better value.
Too soon old, too late smart.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:15 am

You can get CBS (and any other local broadcast stations) for free just by hooking up an appropriate antenna to your TV.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 am

I have Sling and don't miss a thing.
I should mention I have an antenna in my attic so NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, etc. are all free in HD
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:00 am

Great thread and we are I interested in leaving Dish in January when our contract is up. Nowadays we pretty much only watch "good" TV shows that's on Showtime, HBO, Amazon etc. And access to local stations and ESPN 1&2 is a must during football season. Wife also likes to watch some CNN.

So if I need 3 TVs, one that's hooked up to the backyard patio, would would be some great options? Understand that a good antenna should take care of our local stations. Now we usually get Showtime/HBO for a month or 2 and finish up the shows after they have aired the entire season.

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:15 am

I cancelled Comcast cable in late December and signed up for DirecTV Now. There was some issues with DirecTV Now for the first couple months, but the problems are mostly worked out. I have cheap Mohu Leaf antennas on my TVs, but usually the only live local TV I watch is the news on the weekends. The couple of shows that I do watch from local networks are available on DirecTV Now on demand, plus I also have the ABC and NBC app on my Fire TV that gives me access to these shows. There is nothing that I miss about cable tv and have no plans to go back.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 am

The thing keeping me from switching is the ability to take/watch recorded shows outside your home. Like when out of town, on an airplane, etc. I can do that now with my current setup (Comcast + my own DVR) and I know you can take them with you with Xfinity.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:58 am

Ecorp wrote:Been looking into playstation vue or sling TV as alternatives to cable. I would save close to $60/month. I have the newer xfinity cable which is very nice. Slick menus, fast, voice remote..

Is there anything you miss/dislike about it. I have done the free trial. Not having CBS is kinda a pain, weekend golf and football. That was biggest thing I noticed.
For the last weeks, I've been missing the French Open which was not on ESPN but on Tennis Channel! :oops: Thankfully, we were able to watch the finals off the air last weekend.

Yesterday, I missed the USA-Mexico soccer game - Fox Sports (FS1).

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:04 am

michaeljc70 wrote:The thing keeping me from switching is the ability to take/watch recorded shows outside your home. Like when out of town, on an airplane, etc. I can do that now with my current setup (Comcast + my own DVR) and I know you can take them with you with Xfinity.
You can login to DirecTV Now from anywhere also. They do not have DVR yet, but from what I understand, they are working on it. All of the shows I watch are available through on demand.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 am

I used to have Sling and switched to DirecTV now since it has golf and tennis channels. Plus, it also has local channels (CBS/NBC/ABC/PBS) in some areas. DirecTV Now had some performance issues when I first got it, but it has been working flawlessly for me in the last 2 months. Another advantage is that you can stream DTN on your phone and it does not count toward your data if you have AT&T.

I also saw an ad on TV that you can get DirecTV Now for $10 if you have a certain cel phone plan with AT&T.

sschoo1

Post by sschoo1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am

I switched from Cox premium package paying $125 a month for cable + internet, to Sling, then to Vue. Neither sling nor vue worked very well through my Amazon Firestick, so I cancelled. I hear if you run Vue straight through your playstation it runs smoothly. Now I just have an antenna for 4 major local networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX, all work really well in HD for free. Also have Netflix, Amazon and HBOGo. Now just paying $40 for internet plus the big 3 streaming for super cheap. I don't miss anything really, except NFL Redzone. Now that I have a kid I doubt I'd be able to watch much of it anyway this season. Cut the cord - it's totally worth it.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:39 am

Golf: Use the PGA Tour Live App. Has live coverage of the events for free. Also, for the Masters I used the Masters App and it was better than live TV. Four separate cameras to choose from; featured groups, amen corner, live coverage and I forget the other. I was thinking of using free trial cbs access but didn't have to. Sling also does have a golf channel add on I think for 5 or 10$.

We use a combo of Hulu/Sling and basically use the Hulu as a DVR for network TV that helps my wife's tv watching.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 am

renue74 wrote:I had had VUE for about one year. We were paying $160 month to direct TV.....never again.

I found our viewing habits changed to fit what was supplied on vue.

We actually get our local market CBS channel in our vue package. We still watch it a lot.
This is our exact scenario. ~14 months on Vue. We get the local CBS affiliate. Watch other "On Demand" shows from the networks (The Middle, Superstore, Timeline). I primarily watch The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Fargo and Fear the Walking Dead. I DVR each of those. The DVR works great. Tons of sports. We get Fox Sports North (Minnesota Twins, Wild). Very happy for $34.99/month.

The only thing I would change is I would buy the Amazon Fire TV Boxes for all TVs instead of the Stick. We have Sticks on the smaller TVs. They work fine, but are just slower. More waiting time. The latest Fire TV box is blazing fast. No waiting, super fast scrolling. I am going to update the sticks to boxes over this summer.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

We cut the cord about 3-4 months ago and have Sling (on a roku) and an antenna. I was really worried I'd miss ATT Uverse, but to be honest with you we haven't at all. I added the sling sports package to watch all the spring college baseball since my team made it to the super regionals and it's been great.

After paying ATT 180+/month for several years, I get a little giddy when my card is only billed $45 for internet and $35 for my sling package. I don't think cable added anything to our lives that was worth the extra $1,200 per year.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 am

DrippingSprings wrote:You can get CBS (and any other local broadcast stations) for free just by hooking up an appropriate antenna to your TV.
That doesn't work as well for us rural dwellers. I think I would need an external antenna on a pole to get reliable coverage and I think by neighborhood has restrictions on that. Streaming would cover most of my needs (actually, my spouse -- I watch very little TV). As best I can tell, these packages do not include PBS.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:35 am

I've used Sling, DTVNow and PSVue. I'm currently with PSVue because the channel selection is best for us and, the quality of the stream is the best and the price is fair for what I receive.

I miss nothing, but part of that is choosing the service that has what you want. I also have an antenna in my attic that brings in the 5 major networks so the purpose of streaming for me is to fill the voids - sports, cable news primarily. PSVue does an excellent job of this. My antenna is paired with an over-the-air DVR which gives me a very cable-like experience for the major networks and a number of smaller ones that ride the waves with them.

What I definitely do not miss is the cable company's bill and continual pricing games. The last straw was a monthy charge for a small box to allow me to receive any programming on my peripheral TVs (guest rooms, etc). This set me on a quest for a better solution and since I found it I'm happy as a clam in high water! The cable company did me a big favor.

P.S. In our market PSVue carries CBS and FOX networks. Which major broadcast networks are offered varies by market and service so check this out before assuming anything.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am

- Resolution on the live streams is capped at 720p
- Frame rate is capped at 30fps (vs native broadcast 60fps) on Sling and Hulu Live, although it may be changing for Hulu in the near future
- Audio is 2 channel stereo only, no 5.1 Dolby Digital
- The "cloud DVR" options don't allow for modifying recording times that may differ from the guide time slot and start early or run long.
- Shows are occasionally blacked out due to lack of streaming rights

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am

I have a Roku with SlingTV + Netflix + Amazon Prime Video, an attic OTA antenna + Tivo, and a Plex server.

For me, it's become less about "missing" something, and more about how you change your TV watching habits. I used to channel surf, and occasionally want to see the latest TV show live when first aired. I'd often have the TV on just for it to be on and have some background noise in the house. Now, I tend more towards binge watching TV series, and only worring about live TV for a big sporting event. Between OTA + my local Fox Sports & NBC Sports channels on Sling, it's rare I can't watch I want.

Is it as simple or easy as having a full cable service - no. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper, I don't find myself disappointed very often.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:01 pm

DrippingSprings wrote:You can get CBS (and any other local broadcast stations) for free just by hooking up an appropriate antenna to your TV.
Highly dependent on location. In my neck of the woods, the only "local" station we can pull in is FOX and it is 80 miles away and with a large external antenna!

bt3

Post by bt3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:16 pm

We have had Sling (using amazon fire tv) for ~8 months and, overall, it has been a fantastic experience. We find the quality to be good and we like being able to adjust our plan depending on the time of year without penalty. And the price is hard to beat!

The only channel we miss is PBS, particularly the evening news. PBS is available for free OTA but we've been too lazy/cheap to install the appropriate antenna so we can't miss it that much. :D The inability to pause live TV on many channels and/or rewind is annoying but for the savings, we live with it.

We thought we'd miss local channels not covered by Sling (like CBS), specialty sports channels & DVR functionality. In practice, those have been non-issues for the most part due to admittedly imperfect workarounds (like CBS All Access) or living with functionality that gets us 80% of the way there (e.g. some of the channels have "on-demand" functionality and/or ability to watch last few days worth of programming through the guide + Sling offers some cloud DVR feature now which we haven't tried). That being said, I could imagine some of these deficiencies as being deal breakers for some.

For us, our only regret is not making the switch sooner.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Highly dependent on location. In my neck of the woods, the only "local" station we can pull in is FOX and it is 80 miles away and with a large external antenna!
Yes I am in the same situation. I am only 40 miles from Denver, but I can't get the Denver local networks with an indoor antenna and I am unable to put up an outdoor antenna because of HOA rules. But this is much less an issue than I anticipated. I can get many NBC, ABC and Fox shows on demand with Playstation Vue and for sports various network apps outside of Vue have filled in all the holes.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Copper John wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Yes I am in the same situation. I am only 40 miles from Denver, but I can't get the Denver local networks with an indoor antenna and I am unable to put up an outdoor antenna because of HOA rules. But this is much less an issue than I anticipated. I can get many NBC, ABC and Fox shows on demand with Playstation Vue and for sports various network apps outside of Vue have filled in all the holes.
I have the same issue with HOA rules but was able to put a smallish Yagi antenna in my attic. Works like a charm!

See here:
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outd ... gi+antenna
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm

pondering wrote:My two favorite shows are 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday morning.

I guess this is a nonstarter for me.
I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF ... UTF8&psc=1

and it works phenomenally well where I live. I bought my sister one and because she lives so far out in the sticks it wouldn't work for her. But if you're getting cable just to watch those two shows you could probably save yourself a ton of money if this antenna will work at your location.

EDIT: I guess I am late to the party, this has already been discussed.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Isn't CBS news and 60 minutes available for free on the CBS NEWS free app. I watch them all of the time for free. Available a few days after not sure.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Getting free basic cable (not paying for cable boxes any longer).
That allows us to watch basic cable on a laptop or ipad.
If not for that, could rent CBS for a month or two, binge watch a show and turn if off I suppose.
Tried HD antenna, not reliable in my area for CBS nor ABC (good for FOX and NBC).

Love sling, works well, but definitely missing some things that I don't watch and don't care.
Nice to be able to watch anywhere, not tied to the house.
Nice to change packages when I feel like it, keeping bills low.
Lots more on demand shows in addition to live TV.
Some interesting channels I did NOT get in cable.

Overall happy I switched from cable TV to sling/hulu.
Hulu has a beta for live tv which may eliminate sling for me at some point and then just Hulu.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 pm

We use Vue on an Amazon Fire device. We're quite happy with just a couple of complaints.

* Vue only lets you have a few minutes of buffer when watching live TV. We were used to 30 minutes from previous DVRs.
* Can't adjust stop times on the DVR. This can be a problem with live sports
* Can't mark recorded episodes as "watched" on the DVR

Pluses
* Cloud DVR! 28 days worth of shows and no worries on storage or number of tuners
* Streaming works very well
* Channel selection is probably the best available (so far)

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 pm

I miss not having to watch commercials using DVR. All of the streaming services I've tried force commercials on to you for previously aired programs. Supposedly VUE lets you fast forward through commercials on recorded shows but i just could get it figured out.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:08 pm

As best I can tell, these packages do not include PBS.
A donation of around $60 per year to your local station gets you access to PBS Passport for a year. Passport includes On demand straming for most of the popular PBS shows and a collection of rotating offerings.

Even without Passport, PBS has a lot of shows available for streaming for no cost.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Each has its benefits.

I liked the Sling interface way better then the Vue interface. Its quicker, easier to see whats on (unless it has changed since I last had Sling). Vue interface is pokey.

Sling had no Fox News channels, Vue DOES, so that was a big reason I got Vue instead. I like the channels on Vue more but both had channels I had no use for (like 6 separate Disney channels. Seriously?)

Depends what your needs are.

Either way, that I can CANCEL at any time (like in summer when one is out and about versus stuck home in winter) is priceless.

Cable is a ripoff in that regard. Centrylink requires the 'set top box' rental around here. Just a joke IMO. Thats a decades old model.

Youtube is supposedly launching streaming TV too this Fall I think (?) Have not looked into it yet.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 pm

F150HD wrote:Each has its benefits.
I liked the Sling interface way better then the Vue interface. Its quicker, easier to see whats on (unless it has changed since I last had Sling). Vue interface is pokey.
I tried Sling, DirecTV Now and PS Vue which I am now with. With Sling and DirecTV Now I got fee boxes, a Roku2 and an AppleTV (4 I think). At any rate, I learned that the interface can be very different depending on the device. Vue is very clunky on the Roku2 but works very well and has a very nice guide on the AppleTV....a whole different experience!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
I tried Sling, DirecTV Now and PS Vue which I am now with. With Sling and DirecTV Now I got fee boxes, a Roku2 and an AppleTV (4 I think). At any rate, I learned that the interface can be very different depending on the device. Vue is very clunky on the Roku2 but works very well and has a very nice guide on the AppleTV....a whole different experience!
I have a Roku 3. Have had excellent luck w/ it. $$ well spent years back. I wasn't aware the interface would be different per device....kinda interesting.

With the newer Sling Orange and Blue model- I found it somewhat 'manipluative' by the company to get you to spend more $$ as if you choose the Blue, you lose channels which the Orange has. If you choose Orange, you lose channels which the Blue has.
It just seemed manipulative to get one to buy 'both'.
It used to be a lot clearer on their website which channels came with which plan, but at a glance there its somewhat confusing and not as easy to discern what you get with Orange vs Blue.

Other models have tiers like A, B, C where tier B contains Tier A and Tier C contains tier B and A etc so you don't run into this issue.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.