Xfinity Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SlowMovingInvestor

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm
I'm thinking of switching to Xfinity Mobile BYOD. I have an unlocked iPhone SE. The current carrier is Virgin (a Sprint brand).

Xfinity's web page says they can support my device when I give the IMEI, but I've heard that they use Verizon's wireless network. And Sprint iPhone SEs can't use 4g on Verizon's network (they don't support that band).

So is Xfinity's web page just mistaken ?
So a quick followup to my question. I visited an Xfinity store, and they told me that a Sprint iPhone SE could not be switched, no matter what the web site says.

I did find out that Xfinity has a $150 bonus if you bring an iPhone over (so a compatible SE or one of the newer models).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Let the nerfing begin. From a recent e-mail from Xfinity Mobile:

We wanted to let you know about two changes to your Xfinity Mobile service that'll go into effect in the coming weeks.

Video resolution

To help you conserve data, we've established 480p as the standard resolution for streaming video through cellular data. This can help you save money if you pay By the Gig and take longer to reach the 20 GB threshold if you have the Unlimited data option.

Later this year, 720p video over cellular data will be available as a fee-based option with your service. In the meantime, you can request it on an interim basis at no charge. Learn more

This update only affects video streaming over cellular data. You can continue to stream HD-quality video over WiFi, including at millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots.

Personal hotspots

If you have the Unlimited data option, your speeds on any device connected to a personal hotspot will not exceed 600 Kbps. At this speed, you'll conserve data so that it takes longer to reach the 20 GB threshold but you'll still be able to do many of the online activities you enjoy.

Want faster speeds when using a personal hotspot? The By the Gig data option will continue to deliver 4G speeds for all data traffic.

I doubt these changes will have much of an effect on me or DW, but they may have on DS who is on the unlimited data plan (at least for the next year or so) and is more of a power user than either of us.

A440

Post by A440 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 am

Thinking of switching 3 of our phones over to Xfinity.

Can the $150 prepaid card be used anywhere, or only for Xfinity? I'd rather use it to pay for daily purchases than paying for my Xfinity bill over several months.

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am

I purchased a Motorola phone today from Xfinity store. The phone was $130 with tax. With help from my sales associate, we ported my prepaid T-mobile number to the new phone in under 15 minutes. So far everything seems to be working as it should.
I should get the $150 prepaid card in 16-18 weeks. I was the "test guinea pig" today.
Tomorrow, I plan to purchase two more phones and add my wife and son to the same plan.
I will update after they are added.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

We brought our phones over to Xfinity Mobile a few months ago and our bill is now less than half of what it was with Verizon. Not paying for line fees saves us $40 per month. We also pay a little less for data even though we are using more for some reason. We are supposed to pay $12 per GB but Xfinity seems to not charge us for partial GB's of usage. So if we use 3.6 GB, we are usually billed for only 3 GB. We even had a month where we used 3.2 GB and were only charged for 2 GB. My wife thinks reception is slightly worse, but I haven't noticed anything.

FYI, our experience at the store was awful when we were trying to switch to Xfinity mobile so you might need to have some patience!

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:39 pm

I believe the sales associate told me the first GB is included with your fees/taxes, but after you pass 1 GB you incur the $12 charge for the next GB, and so forth.
Tempus Narrabo

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I believe it is the 1st 100MB is free. Then charged $12 for up to 1GB. After that another $12 up to 2GB, etc.

I just switched my wife's phone over and so far so good.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:28 am

Drovor wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm
I believe it is the 1st 100MB is free. Then charged $12 for up to 1GB. After that another $12 up to 2GB, etc.

I just switched my wife's phone over and so far so good.
Note that the 100MB is combined across all lines.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 am

student wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 pm
Xfinity Mobile is having another sale. Open a line, port a number and you get a $150 gift card if you buy an LG phone or Motorola phone. The e4 play is $120.
The promotion has been extended to 9/30.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:31 am

dsmil wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm
We brought our phones over to Xfinity Mobile a few months ago and our bill is now less than half of what it was with Verizon. Not paying for line fees saves us $40 per month. We also pay a little less for data even though we are using more for some reason. We are supposed to pay $12 per GB but Xfinity seems to not charge us for partial GB's of usage. So if we use 3.6 GB, we are usually billed for only 3 GB. We even had a month where we used 3.2 GB and were only charged for 2 GB. My wife thinks reception is slightly worse, but I haven't noticed anything.

FYI, our experience at the store was awful when we were trying to switch to Xfinity mobile so you might need to have some patience!
The reception should be the same as Xfinity uses Verizon. However, during peak time, Verizon customers may have priority.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm
I'm thinking of switching to Xfinity Mobile BYOD. I have an unlocked iPhone SE. The current carrier is Virgin (a Sprint brand).

Xfinity's web page says they can support my device when I give the IMEI, but I've heard that they use Verizon's wireless network. And Sprint iPhone SEs can't use 4g on Verizon's network (they don't support that band).

So is Xfinity's web page just mistaken ?
As far as I know, this is correct. https://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-i ... r-agnostic

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 am

dsmil wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Interesting. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... e-gig-work
"You’ll be charged by rounding up your data usage to the next GB at the end of each billing cycle. This means that if you use 2.2 GB of data, you’ll be charged for 3 GB, or $36. Each month, you start fresh."

A440

Post by A440 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 am

We just got our first statement from Xfinity Mobile: $12 for 1 GB shared data+ $3.90 in fees for 3 lines. The cost of the new phones will be covered by a $150 gift card after the 90 period.
So far, the switch from T-mobile seems to be paying off. A bonus for us, we get better coverage from Verizon (Xfinity uses their towers) when travelling to southern Delaware. With T-mobile, we sometimes had trouble getting a signal.

Coolstavi

Post by Coolstavi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:52 am

Seeing posts about the sale being a 150 prepaid card but when I go to the site I see a 300 dollar rebate. Which one is it exactly?

If its 300, that means the s9 is on only $420 which seems like something I should go for. The s8 would then be $300 after rebate but for 5 bucks more a month (or 120 more out the door) I can get the newer model. Hmmm.....

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 am

It's $150 for a Motorola. You need to click on the 4th dot on the home page, or be patient until the screen moves to it.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:58 am

This seems like a decent deal compared to Verizon but there has to be a catch other than having to pay for overpriced tv/internet? My guess is they will jack the price up eventually.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:58 am
This seems like a decent deal compared to Verizon but there has to be a catch other than having to pay for overpriced tv/internet? My guess is they will jack the price up eventually.
Well we cut the TV cord 8 years ago, and only pay $33/mo for internet. We’ve had 2 phone with xfinity for a year, and so far have saved well over $600 since our switch from AT&T.

If they do jack up the price, there’s obviously no contract. Honestly though they could double our price and it would still be a good deal for us. Just don’t tell Comcast. :happy

jfmiii

Post by jfmiii » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am

Can anyone who has used Xfinity Mobile Unlimited for months comment on the service in major cities? I'm in Chicago. Is it as good as Verizon or subpar compared to VZ? I understand they use VZ's towers but I'm always skeptical that these "rent" services are ever as good. Im on AT&T currently. Never really had a problem with the service. What about tethering? Is there a monthly limit on data used via tethering?

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am

XM the same coverage/signal as VZW.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm

jfmiii wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am
Can anyone who has used Xfinity Mobile Unlimited for months comment on the service in major cities? I'm in Chicago. Is it as good as Verizon or subpar compared to VZ? I understand they use VZ's towers but I'm always skeptical that these "rent" services are ever as good. Im on AT&T currently. Never really had a problem with the service. What about tethering? Is there a monthly limit on data used via tethering?
As far I understand, same service. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless ... om-and-why I do not know about limit on tethering. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/ ... al-hotspot

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm

RootSki wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am
Xfinity mobile users:

Do you consider Xfinity hotspots secure? When I’m on public Wi-Fi, I make it a point to switch to cellular before logging into any secures sites. Is that an option on Xfinity mobile? I.e, can you force your phone to get data from cellular/Verizon even if you’re within range of an Xfinity hotspot?

I realize it counts against your data usage but I want to know if it’s an option.
Yes I consider Xfinity hot-spots as secure as my home cable modem, it's essentially the same hardware/concept just in a different enclosure. Yes, you can always turn WiFi off and force the phone to use the cellular network.
I'd be a little bit careful here. Comcast is NOT using any encryption/security on the Wifi air interface. All they do is get a username, verify user is a Comcast user, but there is no encryption at all. This is not a problem for any traffic that's encrypted at a higher level (pretty much all of the email, or any site that uses HTTPS), but still you might be subject to eyes dropping. Google has one feature that's available on Pixel phones among others: you can enable this feature, and force all traffic to go through a google VPN if you are connected to an open WiFi AP. It might be a good idea to use that, or a similar service when you are connected to Xfinity AP's. Once traffic hits the cable modem, you are right that traffic is same as any other home traffic.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm

ilisira wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm
RootSki wrote:
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Xfinity mobile users:

Do you consider Xfinity hotspots secure? When I’m on public Wi-Fi, I make it a point to switch to cellular before logging into any secures sites. Is that an option on Xfinity mobile? I.e, can you force your phone to get data from cellular/Verizon even if you’re within range of an Xfinity hotspot?

I realize it counts against your data usage but I want to know if it’s an option.
Yes I consider Xfinity hot-spots as secure as my home cable modem, it's essentially the same hardware/concept just in a different enclosure. Yes, you can always turn WiFi off and force the phone to use the cellular network.
I'd be a little bit careful here. Comcast is NOT using any encryption/security on the Wifi air interface. All they do is get a username, verify user is a Comcast user, but there is no encryption at all. This is not a problem for any traffic that's encrypted at a higher level (pretty much all of the email, or any site that uses HTTPS), but still you might be subject to eyes dropping. Google has one feature that's available on Pixel phones among others: you can enable this feature, and force all traffic to go through a google VPN if you are connected to an open WiFi AP. It might be a good idea to use that, or a similar service when you are connected to Xfinity AP's. Once traffic hits the cable modem, you are right that traffic is same as any other home traffic.
Not 100% true. For iOS users you can install a profile that will authenticate you on to the WiFi network. The profile is installed via the Xfinity WiFi app.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

RootSki wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm
ilisira wrote:
RootSki wrote:
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Xfinity mobile users:

Not 100% true. For iOS users you can install a profile that will authenticate you on to the WiFi network. The profile is installed via the Xfinity WiFi app.
This is what I use too. https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... inity-wifi

dkb140

Post by dkb140 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:19 pm

I've had Spectrum Mobile for the last few months, an almost identical Verizon network MVNO offering from Charter/Spectrum.

I got a free S8 as part of an employee trial, or I would have been concerned about the phone choices & prices. I use a fair amount of data so I went with their $45 Unlimited Data (throttled to 3G after 20MB). The service has been great so far. I've had a couple distorted calls. I hung up and called back, problem solved. Other than that no complaints.

The only thing I would mention, if you live in a rural are is to look very closely at the Verizon coverage map. MVNO's only get the verizon-owned coverage. Verizon gives their postpaid customers additional extended coverage through other providers, you wont get any of those extended coverage areas, so make sure you are in the solid dark red.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm

student wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm
RootSki wrote:
ilisira wrote:
RootSki wrote:
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Xfinity mobile users:

Only about 1% of Comcast's Xfinity WiFi AP's support non-open AP's. If there's one where you need internet, definitely good for you.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 pm

A440 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 am
It's $150 for a Motorola. You need to click on the 4th dot on the home page, or be patient until the screen moves to it.
Also includes LG phones.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 am

ilisira wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm
student wrote:
RootSki wrote:
ilisira wrote:
RootSki wrote:

Only about 1% of Comcast's Xfinity WiFi AP's support non-open AP's. If there's one where you need internet, definitely good for you.
1%??? Where did you get that info from?

Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 am

We're looking into this too. My concern is that we typically get into 2 year deals with Comcast for internet. At the end of it, they typically need to push hard and threaten to cancel before they give us a decent deal. I'm not sure how willing they'll be to work with us if they know the switching costs will be high for us if our phones are with them too...kind of limits our ability to walk away.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 am

RootSki wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 am

1%??? Where did you get that info from?
As of a couple of months ago, only the enterprise level AP's supported WPA2, and there was no way to upgrade the older home cable modems for their Xfinity Wifi deployment (this is not the security that's provided on the private SSID of the service, this is for the public SSID). They have a couple of hundred thousand commercial AP's, and the rest is residential cable modems.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 am

ilisira wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm
student wrote:
RootSki wrote:
ilisira wrote:
RootSki wrote:

I think we’re talking about two different ways of accessing the Xfinity WiFi network.

I’m only discussing the “public” hot-spots installed outdoors and not the secondary SSID broadcast by the newer cable modems.

Whenever possible the XFINITY WIFI (in all caps) is the one you want to use for the best security.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 am

RootSki wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 am

I think we’re talking about two different ways of accessing the Xfinity WiFi network.

I’m only discussing the “public” hot-spots installed outdoors and not the secondary SSID broadcast by the newer cable modems.

Whenever possible the XFINITY WIFI (in all caps) is the one you want to use for the best security.
Yes, if you are just talking about the outdoor AP's, or enterprise AP's, you're right that majority of them support WPA2, and encryption. The problem on those is different though (some of those AP's turn the RF power all the way to 11 with no way to turn it down, which causes the devices to try to connect to an AP which is not close by even though there are better suited AP's closer).

In general, I'd just avoid until they find a fix these issues, and provide a solution that's always encrypted. It's too hard for an average user to figure out what's encrypted, and what's not.

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:54 am

A440 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am
I purchased a Motorola phone today from Xfinity store. The phone was $130 with tax. With help from my sales associate, we ported my prepaid T-mobile number to the new phone in under 15 minutes. So far everything seems to be working as it should.
I should get the $150 prepaid card in 16-18 weeks. I was the "test guinea pig" today.
Tomorrow, I plan to purchase two more phones and add my wife and son to the same plan.
I will update after they are added.
UPDATE: November
So we now have 4 new Motorola phones. Our monthly billing has been less than $20 by keeping the data usage at 1 GB shared data ($12+service fees for each phone). Most of the time we are in WiFi zones so we don't use data. In fact, I have it turned off on 3 of the phones and only turn it on when/if needed.
We just received a $600 prepaid Visa card which in paid for the cost of the 4 phones + $80 extra.
Seems to be working for our needs.

student

Post by student » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 am

The $150 rebate promotion on LG and Motorola phones has been extended to Nov 25. The mote e5 is $120. So you make $30.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am

I assume this is just for new subscribers?

I have been an Xfinity Mobile customer for over a year. It would be nice to get more phones.

student

Post by student » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:48 am

protagonist wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am
I assume this is just for new subscribers?

I have been an Xfinity Mobile customer for over a year. It would be nice to get more phones.
It is for new lines only and you have to port over a number.