Xfinity Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brajalle
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by brajalle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:43 pm

bandoba wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:59 am
Thanks for heads up. Were you able to order 5 phones/lines as 1 order? I could checkout only 1 phone at a time.
One by one. Although I didn't try anything else.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am

A heads up. I ordered one on Wednesday and received an email acknowledging the order. I could not find a reference on my account page. I called them and they couldn't find it either. After a couple of CS reps, one found it via the order number and she didn't know why it does not show on my account. She said maybe there were many orders and the system has not get to it yet. She issued a ticket for the next level tech to look at it. If you have ordered it and don't see it in your account page, maybe it is worthwhile to call them.

neilpilot
Posts: 1731
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am

student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am
A heads up. I ordered one on Wednesday and received an email acknowledging the order. I could not find a reference on my account page. I called them and they couldn't find it either. After a couple of CS reps, one found it via the order number and she didn't know why it does not show on my account. She said maybe there were many orders and the system has not get to it yet. She issued a ticket for the next level tech to look at it. If you have ordered it and don't see it in your account page, maybe it is worthwhile to call them.
I also ordered on Wed and my account does not indicate the order. However, in another window it indicates "Pending Install". Their CS lines, including chat, are really backed up. I plan to give it a week to see if I get a response via email before I attempt to contact CS.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am
student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am
A heads up. I ordered one on Wednesday and received an email acknowledging the order. I could not find a reference on my account page. I called them and they couldn't find it either. After a couple of CS reps, one found it via the order number and she didn't know why it does not show on my account. She said maybe there were many orders and the system has not get to it yet. She issued a ticket for the next level tech to look at it. If you have ordered it and don't see it in your account page, maybe it is worthwhile to call them.
I also ordered on Wed and my account does not indicate the order. However, in another window it indicates "Pending Install". Their CS lines, including chat, are really backed up. I plan to give it a week to see if I get a response via email before I attempt to contact CS.
Which window gives you "Pending Install?" I could not get to any window other than the activation dashboard.

Thanks.

neilpilot
Posts: 1731
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:12 am

student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am
student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am
A heads up. I ordered one on Wednesday and received an email acknowledging the order. I could not find a reference on my account page. I called them and they couldn't find it either. After a couple of CS reps, one found it via the order number and she didn't know why it does not show on my account. She said maybe there were many orders and the system has not get to it yet. She issued a ticket for the next level tech to look at it. If you have ordered it and don't see it in your account page, maybe it is worthwhile to call them.
I also ordered on Wed and my account does not indicate the order. However, in another window it indicates "Pending Install". Their CS lines, including chat, are really backed up. I plan to give it a week to see if I get a response via email before I attempt to contact CS.
Which window gives you "Pending Install?" I could not get to any window other than the activation dashboard.

Thanks.
Sign into your account on Xfinity.com; do not use the Xfinity Mobile page link. At the very bottom of the page there are 2 icons. One shows my existing Internet account status. The other icon shows Xfinity Mobile, and indicates "Account Pending". Last night I received an email indicating that my phone has shipped, along with a Fedex airbill link that does not yet show shipment status. Note that this is a restricted delivery, and will require a signature for receipt.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:12 am
student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am
student wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 am
A heads up. I ordered one on Wednesday and received an email acknowledging the order. I could not find a reference on my account page. I called them and they couldn't find it either. After a couple of CS reps, one found it via the order number and she didn't know why it does not show on my account. She said maybe there were many orders and the system has not get to it yet. She issued a ticket for the next level tech to look at it. If you have ordered it and don't see it in your account page, maybe it is worthwhile to call them.
I also ordered on Wed and my account does not indicate the order. However, in another window it indicates "Pending Install". Their CS lines, including chat, are really backed up. I plan to give it a week to see if I get a response via email before I attempt to contact CS.
Which window gives you "Pending Install?" I could not get to any window other than the activation dashboard.

Thanks.
Sign into your account on Xfinity.com; do not use the Xfinity Mobile page link. At the very bottom of the page there are 2 icons. One shows my existing Internet account status. The other icon shows Xfinity Mobile, and indicates "Account Pending". Last night I received an email indicating that my phone has shipped, along with a Fedex airbill link that does not yet show shipment status. Note that this is a restricted delivery, and will require a signature for receipt.
Thanks. I don't see that on mine. Oh well. I will wait for a few days and give them another call.

4nwestsaylng
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:03 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:32 pm

I have an iphone 6, own it and am on Page Plus. Is there no way I can get Xfinity Mobile without giving up my phone ? I don't use data, and I have comcast wireless. Paying $30 a month at PagePlus which includes 2gb I never use.

Any suggestions appreciated. I hate Comcast service, but if I could save it would be worth it.

User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Oicuryy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Comcast reportedly plans to offer BYOD by the end of the year.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/ ... er-remains

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Update: I can now say that my order from last Wednesday was lost as my friends who ordered on the same day or later have received shipment info. 4 CS reps gave different answers, some of which are wrong. One issued a ticket for level 2 CS rep but no one call me back. I placed another order today. If you have ordered but do not see any info when you logged on, I suggest that you call or place another order.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 pm

mikenilson wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 pm
We just switched from Verizon to Xfinity 1 week ago. 2 Galaxy s8's, per Gig plan.
I'm considering the plan and considering an S8 vs. an S7. I currently pay $35/month with Cricket...no additional fees.

What has been your experience with the S8? It's about $200 more than the S7. From what I read online I question whether it is worth it.

How is the battery life? Some say it is an issue.

Supposedly the phones are easy to unlock. I think you have to wait until your second month of service. Has anybody had experience with this?

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Update: I received two phones. I guess that they finally processed the first order that I was told was lost. Since it is only $1, I will just keep it as a backup.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

I signed up. Lots of technical glitches, huge amounts of wasted phone time. But I received...
1 Samsung S7 Edge for about $350
1 iPhone 6s for about the same price
1 LG X Charge for $1

And I am getting service at $12/mo., up to 1 gb (I usually don't use more).

I intend to unlock all 3 phones. I tried buying 5 but, like I said, I ran into glitches.

I may have a second X Charge coming, though I think I may have been refused for that. It will be interesting to see how the $1 phone compares with the flagships. My guess is an inferior camera, slightly slower internet, better battery life.

So far so good. The iPhone is for my gf who is still with Cricket (once I unlock it). I expect what I save in monthly fees over Cricket will pay for the S7 Edge in about 1 1/2 yrs. Or if the $1 phone is a winner maybe I will even sell the Samsung!

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm
I signed up. Lots of technical glitches, huge amounts of wasted phone time. But I received...
1 Samsung S7 Edge for about $350
1 iPhone 6s for about the same price
1 LG X Charge for $1

And I am getting service at $12/mo., up to 1 gb (I usually don't use more).

I intend to unlock all 3 phones. I tried buying 5 but, like I said, I ran into glitches.

I may have a second X Charge coming, though I think I may have been refused for that. It will be interesting to see how the $1 phone compares with the flagships. My guess is an inferior camera, slightly slower internet, better battery life.

So far so good. The iPhone is for my gf who is still with Cricket (once I unlock it). I expect what I save in monthly fees over Cricket will pay for the S7 Edge in about 1 1/2 yrs. Or if the $1 phone is a winner maybe I will even sell the Samsung!
I have been using the LG X Charge for a few days as a secondary phone. It is fine. I was told that it is unlocked to begin with. However, after checking the specs, being unlock is useless. Unlike the LG Power, it does not have all the bands that other carriers such as AT&T uses.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am

student wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm
I signed up. Lots of technical glitches, huge amounts of wasted phone time. But I received...
1 Samsung S7 Edge for about $350
1 iPhone 6s for about the same price
1 LG X Charge for $1

And I am getting service at $12/mo., up to 1 gb (I usually don't use more).

I intend to unlock all 3 phones. I tried buying 5 but, like I said, I ran into glitches.

I may have a second X Charge coming, though I think I may have been refused for that. It will be interesting to see how the $1 phone compares with the flagships. My guess is an inferior camera, slightly slower internet, better battery life.

So far so good. The iPhone is for my gf who is still with Cricket (once I unlock it). I expect what I save in monthly fees over Cricket will pay for the S7 Edge in about 1 1/2 yrs. Or if the $1 phone is a winner maybe I will even sell the Samsung!
I have been using the LG X Charge for a few days as a secondary phone. It is fine. I was told that it is unlocked to begin with. However, after checking the specs, being unlock is useless. Unlike the LG Power, it does not have all the bands that other carriers such as AT&T uses.
Thanks for the valuable information.
So I assume it would be of no use overseas with foreign SIM cards? That's too bad, I was hoping to travel with it, since it is less valuable and supposedly has better battery life.

Oh well. Still a good deal for a buck.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am
student wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm
I signed up. Lots of technical glitches, huge amounts of wasted phone time. But I received...
1 Samsung S7 Edge for about $350
1 iPhone 6s for about the same price
1 LG X Charge for $1

And I am getting service at $12/mo., up to 1 gb (I usually don't use more).

I intend to unlock all 3 phones. I tried buying 5 but, like I said, I ran into glitches.

I may have a second X Charge coming, though I think I may have been refused for that. It will be interesting to see how the $1 phone compares with the flagships. My guess is an inferior camera, slightly slower internet, better battery life.

So far so good. The iPhone is for my gf who is still with Cricket (once I unlock it). I expect what I save in monthly fees over Cricket will pay for the S7 Edge in about 1 1/2 yrs. Or if the $1 phone is a winner maybe I will even sell the Samsung!
I have been using the LG X Charge for a few days as a secondary phone. It is fine. I was told that it is unlocked to begin with. However, after checking the specs, being unlock is useless. Unlike the LG Power, it does not have all the bands that other carriers such as AT&T uses.
Thanks for the valuable information.
So I assume it would be of no use overseas with foreign SIM cards? That's too bad, I was hoping to travel with it, since it is less valuable and supposedly has better battery life.

Oh well. Still a good deal for a buck.
It says CDMA: BC0, BC1; GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS Bands 1/2/5/8; UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz; LTE Bands 2/4/5/13 http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-M32 ... ity-mobile

So I think Europe is out.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 pm

student wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 pm
protagonist wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am
student wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm
I signed up. Lots of technical glitches, huge amounts of wasted phone time. But I received...
1 Samsung S7 Edge for about $350
1 iPhone 6s for about the same price
1 LG X Charge for $1

And I am getting service at $12/mo., up to 1 gb (I usually don't use more).

I intend to unlock all 3 phones. I tried buying 5 but, like I said, I ran into glitches.

I may have a second X Charge coming, though I think I may have been refused for that. It will be interesting to see how the $1 phone compares with the flagships. My guess is an inferior camera, slightly slower internet, better battery life.

So far so good. The iPhone is for my gf who is still with Cricket (once I unlock it). I expect what I save in monthly fees over Cricket will pay for the S7 Edge in about 1 1/2 yrs. Or if the $1 phone is a winner maybe I will even sell the Samsung!
I have been using the LG X Charge for a few days as a secondary phone. It is fine. I was told that it is unlocked to begin with. However, after checking the specs, being unlock is useless. Unlike the LG Power, it does not have all the bands that other carriers such as AT&T uses.
Thanks for the valuable information.
So I assume it would be of no use overseas with foreign SIM cards? That's too bad, I was hoping to travel with it, since it is less valuable and supposedly has better battery life.

Oh well. Still a good deal for a buck.
It says CDMA: BC0, BC1; GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS Bands 1/2/5/8; UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz; LTE Bands 2/4/5/13 http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-M32 ... ity-mobile

So I think Europe is out.
hm.
AT+T operates on GSM 1900 so shouldn't it work?
Some European carriers use GSM 900 but only for 3G.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 pm


hm.
AT+T operates on GSM 1900 so shouldn't it work?
Some European carriers use GSM 900 but only for 3G.
Ah. I was thinking about 4G LTE part. I guess if you don't need data, it will work. Good point. For AT&T, its 4G LTE are bands 2,4,5,17. So it will not work in 17 and it is the main one.

Doug E. Dee
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Doug E. Dee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 am

Hi All,
I just completed the switch from Total Wireless over to Xfinity Mobile.

Activation of the $1 LG Xcharge took about 5 minutes and it worked perfectly through the website.

Because I had a pretty new LG Xstyle, I decided I wanted to use that phone for now. It's a little smaller than the Xcharge and I didn't want the bother of getting a new case, as well as setting up apps on the new phone so I just moved the SIM card to my old phone and it seems to be working just fine! Note that I moved the SIM after the new Xcharge was activated and working. I'll hang on to the Xcharge for a backup.

My data needs are pretty small and usually have wireless available so if I can keep my usage below 100MB, this will only cost $2/month!

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:07 am

I just received my first xfinity monthly mobile bill. Not at all what I suspected.
I used less than 1 Gb of data....I expected to pay $12. plus a bit more....how much can taxes be on $12, right?

My bill came to $21.06.

The additional fees broke down as follows:
axes, Fees, & Other Charges
$8.98
Taxes, Fees, & Surcharges
Disability Access/Enhance 911 Services S
$4.00
State Sales Tax
$2.41
Other Charges
Federal Universal Service Fund
$2.29
Regulatory Recovery Fee
$0.28
The Regulatory Recovery Fee (RRF) and Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) charge are assessed by Comcast and are neither government mandated nor taxes. The RRF recovers certain federal impositions on Comcast. The FUSF recovers Comcast’s required contribution to that fund.
Total
$21.06

(State sales tax $2.41? Huh??? MA state sales tax is 6.25%. $2.41 is over 20% of $12).

When I was with Cricket I was charged a flat $35/month no matter what for up to 4Gb, with better service and a Cricket store down the block with very helpful geeks.
The Xfinity advantage seems not so great anymore, though I did get some great deals on phones (that no longer exist)
. I will keep Xfinity mobile for the time being, but if I run into any glitches I will probably switch back to Cricket.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doug E. Dee
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Doug E. Dee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 am

Seems excessive protagonist!

Here are the charges from my last cycle. I'm in NH and used less than 100GB data.

NH Communications tax .62
NH 911 .75
Federal Universal Service Fund .57
Regulatory Recovery Fee .07

Total $2.01

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 am

Doug E. Dee wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 am
Seems excessive protagonist!

Here are the charges from my last cycle. I'm in NH and used less than 100GB data.

NH Communications tax .62
NH 911 .75
Federal Universal Service Fund .57
Regulatory Recovery Fee .07

Total $2.01
Very different!
Partly because of lack of NH state tax perhaps, but I can't explain the other discrepancies.
Maybe also because I got three phones from them?
Interesting.

neilpilot
Posts: 1731
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by neilpilot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 am

First month with 2 lines, one with no data usage and the other at 0.8 G, totaled $17.44. Data was $12. TN taxes of $4.16, and fees of $1.28. No surprises.

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 am
Doug E. Dee wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 am
Seems excessive protagonist!

Here are the charges from my last cycle. I'm in NH and used less than 100GB data.

NH Communications tax .62
NH 911 .75
Federal Universal Service Fund .57
Regulatory Recovery Fee .07

Total $2.01
Very different!
Partly because of lack of NH state tax perhaps, but I can't explain the other discrepancies.
Maybe also because I got three phones from them?
Interesting.
Did you activate one line or three lines? Even if you do not activate, they charge you tax for them. I think you have to activate each and then cancel two of them if you only want one line.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 am
First month with 2 lines, one with no data usage and the other at 0.8 G, totaled $17.44. Data was $12. TN taxes of $4.16, and fees of $1.28. No surprises.
As I posted much earlier itt, that is very similar to my experience as well. I still have had no billing surprises in subsequent months.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 pm

student wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 am


Did you activate one line or three lines? Even if you do not activate, they charge you tax for them. I think you have to activate each and then cancel two of them if you only want one line.
Thanks!

I will do that.

schutzk21
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by schutzk21 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello all. I am interested in starting a plan with Xfinity mobile. Does anyone know if Xfinity does a hard credit pull for starting a new plan with them? Do they run a hard credit pull if you finance a phone through them over 24 months?

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

schutzk21 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 pm
Hello all. I am interested in starting a plan with Xfinity mobile. Does anyone know if Xfinity does a hard credit pull for starting a new plan with them? Do they run a hard credit pull if you finance a phone through them over 24 months?
There is no hard pull if you only open a new account. I do not know the answer if you finance a phone. Right now, they have a promotion for an LG phone that is $30 after rebate.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I don't think they did a hard pull when we got three phones. I have seen no indication that they did. We had been long-time Comcast suckers if that might make a difference.

RootSki
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by RootSki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm

FYI,

Xfinity Mobile now has a Bring your own iPhone program.
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

schutzk21
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by schutzk21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone! I am going to attempt to visit one of their stores today and ask them about doing a hard pull. I saw a forum online with some people stating they had a hard pull on their credit, but I wanted to verify on here. I have a feeling that the customer service at the store isn't going to be top notch and if I ask that question, I am not sure if I will be getting the true answer.

RootSki
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by RootSki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm

schutzk21 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks everyone! I am going to attempt to visit one of their stores today and ask them about doing a hard pull. I saw a forum online with some people stating they had a hard pull on their credit, but I wanted to verify on here. I have a feeling that the customer service at the store isn't going to be top notch and if I ask that question, I am not sure if I will be getting the true answer.
You will probably have a better experience in store, than you will via phone.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 am

Now that Xfinity is offering a bring your own phone option, I’m thinking about it. DW and I use about 2 gigs data per month combined so it could turn out to be a good deal.

Some info...

- I’m a Comcast internet customer and a AT&T wireless customer (2 iPhones—mine and DW’s).
- I’d like to try and switch my phone from AT&T and see how it goes before I switch DW’s phone.
- My phone is still under an installment plan at AT&T so I need to pay it off first (small amount left). Then I need to ask AT&T to unlock.
-Once that is done, I can start the process with Xfinity.

Before I ask my questions, do I have the above sequence correct?

- Assuming the above is all correct, is there any chance Xfinity will botch porting my number from AT&T in the switch?
- How long will the number porting process take and will my phone be unusable for any amount of time?
- How do hotspots to cellular work? Say you start out in a hotspot in your car and you get out of range with no hotspot nearby. Is there any interruption in service or is the transfer seamless? A good way to explain this is with livestream audio. When I’m listening to NPR for example, if I’m on Wi-Fi and I leave the house, I lose the audio when phone switches to cellular and I usually have to refresh stream. But if I turn off Wi-Fi on phone before leaving home and use cellular instead, there is no interruption. So I’m interested in knowing what to expect from this new hotspot/cellular combo that Xfinity is using. And I would be concerned about this for when leaving home and using gps in car, as one concern.

Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Xfinity ported our three numbers from AT&T with no issues at all. Two Androids and one iPhone, if it matters. We bought phones from Xfinity very soon after they began offering cell service. (See my earlier posts itt.) I would think that if they had any kinks in that area, they would have been worked out by now. But I certainly can't assure you that there is no chance they won't screw it up.

As I recall our phones were usable right away.

No idea about the hotspot. Sorry.

We have been much happier with Xfinity than we were with AT&T. YMMV, of course.

RootSki
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by RootSki » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm

@AntsOnTheMarch - Wifi/LTE handoff will mostly work the same. However, with a service like Spotify I have never had an interruption going from WiFi to LTE and back.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

@Doom&Gloom & @RootSki. Thanks for the responses. One of our numbers was originally a landline that AT&T ported to cellphone, so I guess I’m most concerned about that, but I really need to shore up the savings on this budget item because we’re leaving money on the table here. I am considering this or the the T-Mobile 55+ special but I don’t really need unlimited data and this comes out cheaper.

Saving$
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Saving$ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

I have been considering changing my home internet from ATT DSL ($53/m, no TV, max 6gb) to Comcast ($59/m with TV, max 100gb). The prospect of being able to save on cell service is also appealing. Questions:
1. Does Comcast has a bring your own Android option? I did read the option to buy one of their phones, active SIM and move it back to another phone. That might present a problem if you had to replace the SIM. Does this work if you active the SIM in a bring your own Iphone and move it to a non-Comcast Android?
2. Does the Comcast service has visual voicemail?
3. I'm interested in getting a phone for someone who does not have one. That person lives at a place with ATT DSL which the person accesses via wifi. Can the Comcast phone connect to this persons home ATT wifi signal, or will it only connect to a Comcast home wifi?

tj218
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by tj218 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Plan to make the jump as soon as they allow BYOD for Android phones.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm
I have been considering changing my home internet from ATT DSL ($53/m, no TV, max 6gb) to Comcast ($59/m with TV, max 100gb). The prospect of being able to save on cell service is also appealing. Questions:
1. Does Comcast has a bring your own Android option? I did read the option to buy one of their phones, active SIM and move it back to another phone. That might present a problem if you had to replace the SIM. Does this work if you active the SIM in a bring your own Iphone and move it to a non-Comcast Android? It doesn’t look like you can bring your own android just yet. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod
2. Does the Comcast service has visual voicemail? Yes, but some are having problems setting it up so it may require some CS assistance. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mo ... -p/2993001
3. I'm interested in getting a phone for someone who does not have one. That person lives at a place with ATT DSL which the person accesses via wifi. Can the Comcast phone connect to this persons home ATT wifi signal, or will it only connect to a Comcast home wifi?

chessknt
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:15 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by chessknt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm

My experience:
Bought 2x LG xcharge for free during a promo several months ago. Took Sim cards out, unlocked both, and sold on secondary market. Put Sim cards in my Verizon s8 and s7 and it has worked well with only random small annoyances (texts show up weird some times if they are long and can't use WiFi calling). Phone bill for 2 of us is avg 15/month since we use wifi everywhere. Saving at least 50/m. Service better than t-mobile in my area and is same as Verizon. The company line on not supporting other devices is a ruse for Verizon devices at least and (per Slickdeals) other carriers as well.

AnimalSpirits
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AnimalSpirits » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 am

I just did BYOD iphone and took about an hour for the port to work, and left store after about 30 mins and they sent me home with SIM card. They did require full SSN, and I asked multiple times if that was necessary or if I can just give last 4, they said no need full.

No issues so far in 5 days, excellent network quality.

The rep did inform me a couple times they are accepting ALL Verizon BYOD devices now. Their pricing seems to cheap to be true..

Katietsu
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Katietsu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:52 am

AnimalSpirits wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 am
I just did BYOD iphone and took about an hour for the port to work, and left store after about 30 mins and they sent me home with SIM card. They did require full SSN, and I asked multiple times if that was necessary or if I can just give last 4, they said no need full.

No issues so far in 5 days, excellent network quality.

The rep did inform me a couple times they are accepting ALL Verizon BYOD devices now. Their pricing seems to cheap to be true..
I don't think ALL, but it looks like all of the recent phones.

Katietsu
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by Katietsu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 am
Now that Xfinity is offering a bring your own phone option, I’m thinking about it. DW and I use about 2 gigs data per month combined so it could turn out to be a good deal.

Some info...

- I’m a Comcast internet customer and a AT&T wireless customer (2 iPhones—mine and DW’s).
- I’d like to try and switch my phone from AT&T and see how it goes before I switch DW’s phone.
- My phone is still under an installment plan at AT&T so I need to pay it off first (small amount left). Then I need to ask AT&T to unlock.
-Once that is done, I can start the process with Xfinity.

Before I ask my questions, do I have the above sequence correct?

- Assuming the above is all correct, is there any chance Xfinity will botch porting my number from AT&T in the switch?
- How long will the number porting process take and will my phone be unusable for any amount of time?
- How do hotspots to cellular work? Say you start out in a hotspot in your car and you get out of range with no hotspot nearby. Is there any interruption in service or is the transfer seamless? A good way to explain this is with livestream audio. When I’m listening to NPR for example, if I’m on Wi-Fi and I leave the house, I lose the audio when phone switches to cellular and I usually have to refresh stream. But if I turn off Wi-Fi on phone before leaving home and use cellular instead, there is no interruption. So I’m interested in knowing what to expect from this new hotspot/cellular combo that Xfinity is using. And I would be concerned about this for when leaving home and using gps in car, as one concern.

Thanks for the help.
Depends on which iphone you have. Xfinity mobile is on the Verizon network. Some iphones purchased through AT&T did not work on Verizon, it depends which modem is inside. You can go to the Xfinity Mobile web site and check.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 am
Now that Xfinity is offering a bring your own phone option, I’m thinking about it. DW and I use about 2 gigs data per month combined so it could turn out to be a good deal.

Some info...

- I’m a Comcast internet customer and a AT&T wireless customer (2 iPhones—mine and DW’s).
- I’d like to try and switch my phone from AT&T and see how it goes before I switch DW’s phone.
- My phone is still under an installment plan at AT&T so I need to pay it off first (small amount left). Then I need to ask AT&T to unlock.
-Once that is done, I can start the process with Xfinity.

Before I ask my questions, do I have the above sequence correct?

- Assuming the above is all correct, is there any chance Xfinity will botch porting my number from AT&T in the switch?
- How long will the number porting process take and will my phone be unusable for any amount of time?
- How do hotspots to cellular work? Say you start out in a hotspot in your car and you get out of range with no hotspot nearby. Is there any interruption in service or is the transfer seamless? A good way to explain this is with livestream audio. When I’m listening to NPR for example, if I’m on Wi-Fi and I leave the house, I lose the audio when phone switches to cellular and I usually have to refresh stream. But if I turn off Wi-Fi on phone before leaving home and use cellular instead, there is no interruption. So I’m interested in knowing what to expect from this new hotspot/cellular combo that Xfinity is using. And I would be concerned about this for when leaving home and using gps in car, as one concern.

Thanks for the help.
Depends on which iphone you have. Xfinity mobile is on the Verizon network. Some iphones purchased through AT&T did not work on Verizon, it depends which modem is inside. You can go to the Xfinity Mobile web site and check.
I checked the site. My phone is accepted. I paid off last few $ of the installment on phone with att and initiated an unlock last night. All has gone smoothly so far. Just a matter of waiting for the unlock to complete.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by protagonist » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:51 pm

Just a tip (yes, I know it's pretty obvious but...):

I find it very useful to have a second line with a different number.

I use that number whenever I need to give somebody my phone number, and may want one call from them but no more. When I recently bought a car I used the second line (the $1 LG Charge phone) and got, literally, HUNDREDS of calls and texts from dealers I did not work with on that line and their business associates, that I just deleted en masse.

I also have used it to check numbers to see if they are robocalls or nuisance calls and thus whether to report them to the DNC registry.

I intend to take that second phone when traveling rather than put my S7 edge (and potentially my data) at risk.

I use it to call my S7 Edge when I misplace it.

I set it up at home for playing (and practicing) music.

And many other uses. Definitely worth the couple of bucks extra I am charged in tax and fees per month.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am

Xfinity mobile users:

Do you consider Xfinity hotspots secure? When I’m on public Wi-Fi, I make it a point to switch to cellular before logging into any secures sites. Is that an option on Xfinity mobile? I.e, can you force your phone to get data from cellular/Verizon even if you’re within range of an Xfinity hotspot?

I realize it counts against your data usage but I want to know if it’s an option.

RootSki
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by RootSki » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am
Xfinity mobile users:

Do you consider Xfinity hotspots secure? When I’m on public Wi-Fi, I make it a point to switch to cellular before logging into any secures sites. Is that an option on Xfinity mobile? I.e, can you force your phone to get data from cellular/Verizon even if you’re within range of an Xfinity hotspot?

I realize it counts against your data usage but I want to know if it’s an option.
Yes I consider Xfinity hot-spots as secure as my home cable modem, it's essentially the same hardware/concept just in a different enclosure. Yes, you can always turn WiFi off and force the phone to use the cellular network.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am

RootSki, :sharebeer

student
Posts: 2296
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by student » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Xfinity Mobile is having another sale. Open a line, port a number and you get a $150 gift card if you buy an LG phone or Motorola phone. The e4 play is $120.

bandoba
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by bandoba » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:40 pm

student wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 pm
Xfinity Mobile is having another sale. Open a line, port a number and you get a $150 gift card if you buy an LG phone or Motorola phone. The e4 play is $120.
Thanks for the heads up!

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm thinking of switching to Xfinity Mobile BYOD. I have an unlocked iPhone SE. The current carrier is Virgin (a Sprint brand).

Xfinity's web page says they can support my device when I give the IMEI, but I've heard that they use Verizon's wireless network. And Sprint iPhone SEs can't use 4g on Verizon's network (they don't support that band).

So is Xfinity's web page just mistaken ?

Post Reply