Xfinity Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student

Xfinity Mobile

Post by student »

I just found out about xfinity mobile. I did a search and it seems that it has not been discussed at bogleheads. You are eligible if you have internet service from Comcast. There is no line charge. It is free if you just call and text and use less than 100mb of data (excluding text). You will pay for government fees. (I have verified this via a chat with customer service.) If you need more data, you can either buy per GB or get an unlimited plan. Currently, you cannot bring your own phone to the network. It is on Verizon's network.
jfave33

Re: Xfinity Mobile

Post by jfave33 »

Yes the biggest turn off is the need to buy a new phone at full price. The budget phone is way overpriced - LG Xpower. Worth about $50 and they sell it for $150+ If they had BYOD this service would take off. Perhaps they want to control growth.

Otherwise a great deal if you already have xfinity internet. You could have 5 lines with no basically data - unlimited talk and text for ZERO. I don't know if there are any taxes/fees on that at all - knowing comcast they probably tack on some fees even with it being $0. Paying $12 per GB isn't too bad either.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

quote "Currently, you cannot bring your own phone to the network. It is on Verizon's network."

My experience is different. I have ATT as my primary smartphone provider. I also have Xfinity (comcast) service for internet, cable and phone at our condo. I downloaded an android app called Connect from xfinity at the Play Store. It uses my xfinity service phone number and lets me make text and phone calls from my nexus (BYO) phone. I usually use my ATT service, but the Connect app lets me make free calls to Canada.

My xfinity account can also function as the logon to xfinity wireless for my cell. If I'm out and there's an option for xfinity in the pulldown wireless menu my phone (BYO) automatically switches to it using my comcast credentials. It's free, but yes, I believe there's a 100 MB free limit. They do offer plans.

edit: Based on my limited experience there's much better xfinity wifi coverage than for ATT. I almost never see it as an option except in a mall or two. Xfinity seems to appear as a wifi option outside my gym, outside my mart and many other places.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

I have Xfinity for my internet service and recently dumped their cable TV service. I looked at their offer and compared it to my current cell plan over a period of 24 months using 1GB of data. The monthly cost came out very close.

The edge on the surface would go to Xfinity as in this plan as I would be obtaining a brand new high end phone versus a phone 2-3 models years older. I, however, still would not want deal with Xfinity any more than I absolutely have to. I don’t trust them to keep their rate increases at “reasonable” levels, to not insert strange fees over time and to not constantly try to up sell me when I make technical service issue calls that need prompt attention.

My comparison was made between my current cell plan Page Plus vs. Xfinity - 24 Months

Phone
Page Plus -Samsung S5 $250 paid upfront ~$11month
Xfinity - Samsung S8 ~$31/month

Network
Page Plus - Verizon
Xfinity - Verizon

Plan
Page Plus - $30 for 1,500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB data
Xfinity - $12 for unlimited text and calls and 1GB data

Fees
Page Plus - no additional fees
Verizon - I do not know what they are but they will be there and don't be surprised when new ones appear. Will estimate $4 for this analysis

Total Monthly Cost
Page Plus $41
Xfinity $47
Last edited by Copper John on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Copper John wrote: Total Monthly Cost
Page Plus $41
Xfinity $47
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I just switched to T-Mobile. $140 for 4 lines, unlimited. The price includes all fees.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

heartwood wrote:quote "Currently, you cannot bring your own phone to the network. It is on Verizon's network."

My experience is different. I have ATT as my primary smartphone provider. I also have Xfinity (comcast) service for internet, cable and phone at our condo. I downloaded an android app called Connect from xfinity at the Play Store. It uses my xfinity service phone number and lets me make text and phone calls from my nexus (BYO) phone. I usually use my ATT service, but the Connect app lets me make free calls to Canada.

My xfinity account can also function as the logon to xfinity wireless for my cell. If I'm out and there's an option for xfinity in the pulldown wireless menu my phone (BYO) automatically switches to it using my comcast credentials. It's free, but yes, I believe there's a 100 MB free limit. They do offer plans.

edit: Based on my limited experience there's much better xfinity wifi coverage than for ATT. I almost never see it as an option except in a mall or two. Xfinity seems to appear as a wifi option outside my gym, outside my mart and many other places.
Talking about a totally different thing.

Xfinity mobile is a new offering - free unlimited talk and text and 100mb over the verizon network if you are an internet subscriber. You have to buy one of their phones.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Copper John wrote:
Total Monthly Cost
Page Plus $41
Xfinity $47
Not really since Xfinity gets you a S8 vs a S5 in your analysis! An Xpower for $6.5 is more comparable to the S5 bring it to $41 vs $22 in favor of xfinity
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

My understanding is that talk and text will be on Verizon's network always at this time. Data will first look for an Xfinity connection and only use Verizon if no WiFi or hotspot connection can be found. I question how smooth this transistion will be initially. I also suspect that this is why you must use their phone for now. There is no wireless calling ironically which ruled it out for me as I have two locations that I frequent without Verizon cell coverage. Another negative is that I have bad memories of trying to wrestle my home number from Comcast last summer. It took multiple calls and two weeks for Comcast to release it.

On the other hand, the monthly charge does seem to be a great deall for a low data user.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Okay in my comparison you can get a newer high end phone for about the same monthly price as I clearly stated or as you stated you could get an "equivalent" LG phone for $20 a month cheaper.

In my personal analysis I used the higher priced Samsung phone as I would want to stay within the Samsung line of phones. But the bigger point for me is in either case the price differential would not be sufficient enough for me to change because of the negative aspects I outlined in dealing with Comcast over many years. I got the "wolf" almost out the door of my house and am not about to let it all the way back in because it comes to my door with a $20 bill in its mouth.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I was starting to think about getting a new iPhone anyway - my current IPhone 5 was still fine but the better camera and fingerprint home button for the iPhone 7 were features I placed some value on. Even on my old Verizon plan I only used about 500MB of data a month without any attempt at conservation, but paid for up to 2GB. So, Xfinity Mobile was a great deal for me. After the cost of the new IPhone (which I paid for up front) I estimate the break even point for me is about 15 months, maybe even less if I can stay under 100MB of LTE data usage. There are tons of Xfinity and other free hotspots in my area.
Steve
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Longdog wrote:I was starting to think about getting a new iPhone anyway - my current IPhone 5 was still fine but the better camera and fingerprint home button for the iPhone 7 were features I placed some value on. Even on my old Verizon plan I only used about 500MB of data a month without any attempt at conservation, but paid for up to 2GB. So, Xfinity Mobile was a great deal for me. After the cost of the new IPhone (which I paid for up front) I estimate the break even point for me is about 15 months, maybe even less if I can stay under 100MB of LTE data usage. There are tons of Xfinity and other free hotspots in my area.
If you do decide to go with xfinity mobile, please do let us know what mandatory fees are there and your experience with it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

jjface wrote:
heartwood wrote:quote "Currently, you cannot bring your own phone to the network. It is on Verizon's network."

Xfinity mobile is a new offering - free unlimited talk and text and 100mb over the verizon network if you are an internet subscriber. You have to buy one of their phones.
I understand that they've launched a separate service but my experience is similar w/o buying their phone. How is that totally different? I'm an xinfinity internet subscriber, I get free unlimited talk and text and 100mb on my 3 yr old nexus phone. All I had to do was download the xfinity Connect app and logon 1x with my comcast credentials.

In each case you need to be a xfinity internet subscriber. Already one? Download the app and try it.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

heartwood wrote:
jjface wrote:

I understand that they've launched a separate service but my experience is similar w/o buying their phone. How is that totally different? I'm an xinfinity internet subscriber, I get free unlimited talk and text and 100mb on my 3 yr old nexus phone. All I had to do was download the xfinity Connect app and logon 1x with my comcast credentials.

In each case you need to be a xfinity internet subscriber. Already one? Download the app and try it.
The service you are using is part of the Xfinity Home Phone service, and allows you to call via your Smart Phone over a data connection. If that data connection is wifi, then it avoids using the data plan of your cellphone service. If that data connection is not wifi, then it uses the data plan of your cellphone service, if you have one. If there is no data connection, you would not be able to make or receive calls via the Connect app. The Xfinity Mobile service really is a cellphone service, independent of Xfinity Home Phone service but requiring a subscription to Xfinity Internet service. Calls and text messages are placed over the Verizon network. When you use data, it attempts to use an Xfinity hotspot (and there are LOTS of them so it succeeds much of the time) but if there are not, it can also use the Verizon LTE network, and the first 100MB of usage on the LTE network are "free." Data usage on hotspots is unlimited. Calls and text messages are free, including roaming on other networks.
Steve
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Xfinity mobile is not VOIP but proper verizon cellular.

Not sure about switching off to wifi hotspots but if that bothers you just turn off wifi.

Yes if you don't like comcast and its various issues and charges then this is not for you!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

This comes at a good time for us. We were wanting to move away from AT&T wireless anyway. Also DW & DS are wanting to "upgrade" their phones.

DS is attending college in an area that Comcast doesn't serve, so no hotspots in his area. It looks like we can put his line on unlimited data while DW and I can pay as we go. I'm not the biggest fan of Comcast, but we are already knee-deep with them, so I don't see a huge downside to adding a bit more which seems to be at a competitive price.

Now to explore the logistics of making the switch ... :(
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

student wrote:
Longdog wrote:I was starting to think about getting a new iPhone anyway - my current IPhone 5 was still fine but the better camera and fingerprint home button for the iPhone 7 were features I placed some value on. Even on my old Verizon plan I only used about 500MB of data a month without any attempt at conservation, but paid for up to 2GB. So, Xfinity Mobile was a great deal for me. After the cost of the new IPhone (which I paid for up front) I estimate the break even point for me is about 15 months, maybe even less if I can stay under 100MB of LTE data usage. There are tons of Xfinity and other free hotspots in my area.
If you do decide to go with xfinity mobile, please do let us know what mandatory fees are there and your experience with it.
Not Longdog, but here is my experience so far (see post directly above this one for a little background). DW & DS both wanted new phones. AT&T has been killing us, but DW has always handled our cell phone service since she was able to utilize a corporate discount years ago and I have never been particular about cell service. I also realized years ago that this was not a battle I wished to fight against DW, DD (now married & out of our plan), and DS. AT&T has been killing us so badly over the years that DW finally realized it. Shocking! But very encouraging progress :happy

On to Xfinity Mobile: DW and I ordered Samsung Galaxies; DS had to have an iPhone. The cost of the phones can be paid over 24 months at no interest; however, the state sales tax (if any) for the full price is charged when the devices are ordered. We selected unlimited data for DS ($45/month); the first month of unlimited data is billed when the phones are ordered. DW & I are "by the gig" which is billed at the end of the current month. The first monthly installment for each phone is also billed at the time of order. State 911 wireless surcharge + Federal Universal Service Fund + Regulatory Recovery Fee (< $5 total) are also billed at the time the phones are ordered. So far, and somewhat surprisingly, there are no atrocious unexpected fees. In addition, the online enrollment process thus far has been very smooth and easy to understand. The information on their site has been pretty comprehensive and easy to understand. I did have a couple of brief online chats to clarify some questions I had.

Phones are on the way. If there are any unexpected issues or surprises during or after activation, I will pop back in here with a report.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
student wrote:
Not Longdog, but here is my experience so far (see post directly above this one for a little background). DW & DS both wanted new phones. AT&T has been killing us, but DW has always handled our cell phone service since she was able to utilize a corporate discount years ago and I have never been particular about cell service. I also realized years ago that this was not a battle I wished to fight against DW, DD (now married & out of our plan), and DS. AT&T has been killing us so badly over the years that DW finally realized it. Shocking! But very encouraging progress :happy

On to Xfinity Mobile: DW and I ordered Samsung Galaxies; DS had to have an iPhone. The cost of the phones can be paid over 24 months at no interest; however, the state sales tax (if any) for the full price is charged when the devices are ordered. We selected unlimited data for DS ($45/month); the first month of unlimited data is billed when the phones are ordered. DW & I are "by the gig" which is billed at the end of the current month. The first monthly installment for each phone is also billed at the time of order. State 911 wireless surcharge + Federal Universal Service Fund + Regulatory Recovery Fee (< $5 total) are also billed at the time the phones are ordered. So far, and somewhat surprisingly, there are no atrocious unexpected fees. In addition, the online enrollment process thus far has been very smooth and easy to understand. The information on their site has been pretty comprehensive and easy to understand. I did have a couple of brief online chats to clarify some questions I had.

Phones are on the way. If there are any unexpected issues or surprises during or after activation, I will pop back in here with a report.
Thanks for the detailed report. You probably know this already. Comcast is sending $50 Fandango gift certificate with the phones. I read that someone received an extra $100 gift card. Of course, YMMV.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

student wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
student wrote:

Thanks for the detailed report. You probably know this already. Comcast is sending $50 Fandango gift certificate with the phones. I read that someone received an extra $100 gift card. Of course, YMMV.
I just received my first month's statement and wanted to do a brief update to this thread. We did indeed receive a $50 Fandango gift care with the phones when they arrived. The billing statement had absolutely no surprises which I admit surprised me a bit. Charges were exactly as expected plus ~$7 in taxes and fees. DW & I did not quite exceed our first gig of shared data, so we had a $12 charge for that; DS hit over 23 gigs on his unlimited plan. I didn't hear any complaints about his speed being slowed after 20 gigs, but he was expecting that.

Setup on my Galaxy was a breeze. DW had a moment or two of frustration setting hers up, but that was due to not reading directions. DS had a bit more of a struggle setting his iPhone up, but he probably had everything settled in 30 minutes or so.

Overall, we have been quite satisfied with the transition and the service.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
student wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
student wrote:

I just received my first month's statement and wanted to do a brief update to this thread. We did indeed receive a $50 Fandango gift care with the phones when they arrived. The billing statement had absolutely no surprises which I admit surprised me a bit. Charges were exactly as expected plus ~$7 in taxes and fees. DW & I did not quite exceed our first gig of shared data, so we had a $12 charge for that; DS hit over 23 gigs on his unlimited plan. I didn't hear any complaints about his speed being slowed after 20 gigs, but he was expecting that.

Setup on my Galaxy was a breeze. DW had a moment or two of frustration setting hers up, but that was due to not reading directions. DS had a bit more of a struggle setting his iPhone up, but he probably had everything settled in 30 minutes or so.

Overall, we have been quite satisfied with the transition and the service.
Thanks for the update.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

student wrote:
Everything going exactly as expected. My service works great. I am not a heavy data user to begin with, and there are sufficient Xfinity and other hotspots in my area that I almost never use LTE data. I got my first bill, and managed to stay below the 100MB of "included data" so I was only charged taxes, which amounted to $3.31. Very happy with my decision.
Steve
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Longdog wrote:
student wrote:
Everything going exactly as expected. My service works great. I am not a heavy data user to begin with, and there are sufficient Xfinity and other hotspots in my area that I almost never use LTE data. I got my first bill, and managed to stay below the 100MB of "included data" so I was only charged taxes, which amounted to $3.31. Very happy with my decision.
Thanks for the update.
mikenilson

Post by mikenilson »

We just switched from Verizon to Xfinity 1 week ago. 2 Galaxy s8's, per Gig plan. So far no issues! No noticeable change in service (It is the Verizon Network). I will save about $50 a month on this plan so I am glad I made the switch. Phone activation was the easiest it has ever been. Took less than 5 minutes per phone and went without a hitch. I even ported phone numbers. I called Verizon before I made the switch and asked if they could offer me a deal to keep me as a customer. They could not offer anything to a customer of 15 years. So sad...
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Some users are reporting a workaround to Xfinity's policy of not being able to use your own phone.

Here is one of a number of posts on the internet describing the workaround:

Message 29 of 49 13,282 Views
Re: xfinity mobile bring your own phone

Buy a LG X Power, when you get the phone/sim port your number.
Swap SIM in your Verizon-compatible phone
Sell the LG X Power on Ebay.
Easy

Many people say this works with iPhones as well if you buy an iPhone SE from Xfinity.

It's a bit more hassle than it is worth to me, but may be useful to some folks out there.
MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion »

I am thinking about switching to Xfinity Mobile and getting the phones that they offer.

However, other sites I have looked at warn that the phones that are delivered come with Verizon "crapware" apps on them that cannot be deleted.
Can anyone who has made the switch and used the Xfinity phones confirm if this is true or false?
mikenilson

Post by mikenilson »

I am thinking about switching to Xfinity Mobile and getting the phones that they offer.

However, other sites I have looked at warn that the phones that are delivered come with Verizon "crapware" apps on them that cannot be deleted.
Can anyone who has made the switch and used the Xfinity phones confirm if this is true or false?
False! Just Samsung stuff.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I guess if you don't use much data or a lot of data, it might be okay. The metered data rates seemed very high. $12 per GB. Unlimited at $45 is pretty good. It would have to be a fantastic deal to want me to give Comcast any more business.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

This has the added advantage of increasing the potential opportunities for me to interact with Comcast customer service. :oops:

Seriously, given how notorious Comcast is for billing mistakes with TV and internet equipment, I would keep meticulous records about phone purchases and payments. Also, check every bill carefully, though folks here probably do that anyway.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

rob65 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 am This has the added advantage of increasing the potential opportunities for me to interact with Comcast customer service. :oops:

Seriously, given how notorious Comcast is for billing mistakes with TV and internet equipment, I would keep meticulous records about phone purchases and payments. Also, check every bill carefully, though folks here probably do that anyway.
+1

Yes maybe I can get this, work out a deal with my local used car dealer to manage my IRA and use the DMV for my health insurance and I will be all set. :sharebeer
tfb

Post by tfb »

Bumping this thread because Xfinity Mobile is having a sale. The LG X Charge is only $1 out of the door. If someone wants a new phone anyway, the phone prices on sale are not that bad.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper »

The $1 phone is out of stock now
tfb

Post by tfb »

lemonPepper wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:02 pm The $1 phone is out of stock now
It was out of stock last night, back in stock this morning when I ordered. The sale will run another two weeks. It probably will come back into stock some time. If you really want it just keep checking from time to time.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Does anyone know if the data speeds on Xfinity Mobile are full Verizon 4G LTE speeds or not?

I ask as Verizon limits most MVNOs to I believe something like 5 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload, but I cannot easily find whether or not this is true for Xfinity Mobile.

Thanks!
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

need403bhelp wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:23 pm Does anyone know if the data speeds on Xfinity Mobile are full Verizon 4G LTE speeds or not?

I ask as Verizon limits most MVNOs to I believe something like 5 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload, but I cannot easily find whether or not this is true for Xfinity Mobile.

Thanks!
As far as I know yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYNOtUBSu5g
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

The $1 phone is back in stock. All phones are $200 off.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Just signup and in about 30 minutes received an email from XM_tier_2@comcast.com. It asked a half dozen or so questions about my account history, saying that all answers can be found on line in your account. But not true, several answers such as when my account started (which I can't recall), can't be found there.

I tried calling and chatting with their mobile customer service, but have been on hold on phone and online for a long time. So be warned that apparently there currently is high demand that has overwhelmed Comcast customer service, if there ever was such as thing.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

I also ordered even though that it is probably something I do not need. However I want to try the service. I figure that for $2 a month, it is worth a try.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 pm The $1 phone is back in stock. All phones are $200 off.
The $1 phone doesn't even show up now. Looks like it is sold out?
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

bandoba wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:53 pm
student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 pm The $1 phone is back in stock. All phones are $200 off.
It happened earlier when a friend tried to buy it. I just checked. It is there now.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:23 pm Does anyone know if the data speeds on Xfinity Mobile are full Verizon 4G LTE speeds or not?

Thanks!
Thanks. Those are some pretty weird Speedtest results in the video (8.19 MBps download and 42.96 MBps upload), although definitely isn't at the 5/2 Mbps limits for other MVNOs, which is good.

I currently have Xfinity for Internet (kinda-forced in a way - we are required to have cable w/Xfinity via HOA and AT&T doesn't offer comparable speeds to my Xfinity Internet package in our area) and Verizon for cell service - 5 gb/1 line plan which costs me $45/month with employee discount.

However, my wife is coming back into the country and I'd like to have her on the plan. We'll try 8 gb/2 lines which will cost me $92/month with employee discount. If we can't keep it under 8 gb, though, going up to unlimited at $130/month with no employee discount allowed seems pretty steep... Although doing Xfinity Mobile and having to buy two brand new iPhone SEs & then re-selling them in order to be able to use our own iPhones doesn't strike me as something I'm particular enthusiastic about...

Thanks again!

P.S. For the record, running the same Ookla speedtest app on my iPhone on Verizon, I have 33.39 MBps download and 20.69 MBps upload, although I'm sure those numbers are dependent on region, time of day, etc.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks!
Thanks. Those are some pretty weird Speedtest results in the video (8.19 MBps download and 42.96 MBps upload), although definitely isn't at the 5/2 Mbps limits for other MVNOs, which is good.

I currently have Xfinity for Internet (kinda-forced in a way - we are required to have cable w/Xfinity via HOA and AT&T doesn't offer comparable speeds to my Xfinity Internet package in our area) and Verizon for cell service - 5 gb/1 line plan which costs me $45/month with employee discount.

However, my wife is coming back into the country and I'd like to have her on the plan. We'll try 8 gb/2 lines which will cost me $92/month with employee discount. If we can't keep it under 8 gb, though, going up to unlimited at $130/month with no employee discount allowed seem pretty steep... Although doing Xfinity Mobile and having to buy two brand new iPhone SEs & then re-selling them in order to be able to use our own iPhones doesn't strike me as something I'm particular enthusiastic about...

Thanks again!
Why don't you get the $1 phone now and test it out? It is only about $3 a month if you use less than 100mb before your wife comes back. Another option is t-mobile. If either you or your wife is 55 or over, you can get 2 lines for $60 (with autopay) including tax and unlimited text, talk and data in US, Canada and Mexico. Also slow data speed including text in other countries.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks!

However, my wife is coming back into the country and I'd like to have her on the plan. We'll try 8 gb/2 lines which will cost me $92/month with employee discount. If we can't keep it under 8 gb, though, going up to unlimited at $130/month with no employee discount allowed seem pretty steep... Although doing Xfinity Mobile and having to buy two brand new iPhone SEs & then re-selling them in order to be able to use our own iPhones doesn't strike me as something I'm particular enthusiastic about...

Thanks again!
Why don't you get the $1 phone now and test it out? It is only about $3 a month if you use less than 100mb before your wife comes back. Another option is t-mobile. If either you or your wife is 55 or over, you can get 2 lines for $60 (with autopay) including tax and unlimited text, talk and data in US, Canada and Mexico. Also slow data speed including text in other countries.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider it.

I honestly think we'll probably be ok with 8 gb plus rollover (I plotted my data usage over past 15 months using old bills and I am always under 4 gb).

Not over 55 yet, unfortunately.

Thank you for your suggestions!
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm
It happened earlier when a friend tried to buy it. I just checked. It is there now.
I am getting a page that says "Our site is temporarily unavailable". When I don't get that message, the phone is OOS! Weird.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks!

Thanks again!

I honestly think we'll probably be ok with 8 gb plus rollover (I plotted my data usage over past 15 months using old bills and I am always under 4 gb).

If you are not 55 yet, T-mobile still has $100 (with autopay) for two lines including everything. And you can sign up for kickback in which they give you $10 back per line if you use less than 2G. So for light user, $80 for two.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

bandoba wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pm
student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm
I am getting a page that says "Our site is temporarily unavailable". When I don't get that message, the phone is OOS! Weird.
I am also getting this now. I guess the promotion is popular.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

student wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks again!

If you are not 55 yet, T-mobile still has $100 (with autopay) for two lines including everything. And you can sign up for kickback in which they give you $10 back per line if you use less than 2G. So for light user, $80 for two.
Got it. Thanks so much for the helpful information!
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

bandoba wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pmI am getting a page that says "Our site is temporarily unavailable". When I don't get that message, the phone is OOS! Weird.
Their website was up and down last night, and I couldn't complete a single order when I did get through. It always failed at the end.

This morning though, everything was working fine. The phone is backordered though - but you can still order.

I went ahead and got the max 5 phones.
Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee »

My question is, how long will it be before this free cell phone service pricing is ratcheted up to a point were it's yet another Comcast rip-off?

Example: the free set top boxes they gave out that now cost $5.99 a month.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Doug E. Dee wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am My question is, how long will it be before this free cell phone service pricing is ratcheted up to a point were it's yet another Comcast rip-off?

I think it will be a long time before they will ratchet it up. My feeling is that this is a way to keep their customers from moving away as you can only have this if you are an internet customers. Of course, they may find some other ways to squeeze you on the cable and internet side.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

student wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 am
Doug E. Dee wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am My question is, how long will it be before this free cell phone service pricing is ratcheted up to a point were it's yet another Comcast rip-off?

I think it will be a long time before they will ratchet it up. My feeling is that this is a way to keep their customers from moving away as you can only have this if you are an internet customers. Of course, they may find some other ways to squeeze you on the cable and internet side.
+1. Unlike the set top box, you can more easily switch cell service.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

brajalle wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 am
bandoba wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pmI am getting a page that says "Our site is temporarily unavailable". When I don't get that message, the phone is OOS! Weird.
Their website was up and down last night, and I couldn't complete a single order when I did get through. It always failed at the end.

This morning though, everything was working fine. The phone is backordered though - but you can still order.

I went ahead and got the max 5 phones.
Thanks for heads up. Were you able to order 5 phones/lines as 1 order? I could checkout only 1 phone at a time.