Electric Razor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
biscuit
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Electric Razor

Post by biscuit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Looking to buy father's day gift for my spouse. I'm wondering if you'd recommend any electric razor for clean-shave? Looking to buy one that's long lasting.

TIA!

SrGrumpy
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:37 pm

I have Norelco. But you'd really need to ask him, or one of his buddies, or maybe he has a brother. Everyone has different skin/beard/travel needs, etc.

While you decide, I will say that you can't go wrong also buying a cheap little nose-and ear-hair trimmer.

mhalley
Posts: 5201
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Electric Razor

Post by mhalley » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:50 pm

When I used lectrics, I tried both norelco and brauns. I liked the brauns better, and i liked the more expensive ones better than the cheap ones.
What does he shave with now? I now use a double edged razor and shave brush. You might consider a shave kit that includes a good razor, such as a merkur, a good badger brush, a good shave soap such as taylors, and an assortment of blades.
You can probably get them cheaper if you buy them seperately, but something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-Dut ... having+set
Or a little cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur-S ... having+set
Plus a sample pack of blades like this
https://www.amazon.com/Double-Edge-Razo ... zor+blades
Or maybe a subscription to Harry's or dollar shave club.
Also, remember it takes a while to get used to an electric razor, so remind him he needs to use it for a week or two for his face to get used to it and get the best shave.

KT785
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by KT785 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I've had a Braun Series 7 shaver since December 2013 and highly, highly recommend it. I'd wet shaved since I started shaving (I'm 29) and had too much irritation to do so everyday once I started my first job out of law school. I'd also tried various electric shavers over the years, including rotary (Norelco) type and didn't care for them, but the Braun had a ton of glowing reviews so I figured it was worth a try. Since I got the Series 7, I've been able to shave nearly everyday (when I want to) and have no irritation . . . though there was some initial adjustment since I came from a traditional blade razor.

I believe Braun recently came out with a series 9 shaver but the reviews have not been as positive--I'd stick with the Series 7 . . . and plan on getting another 7 if/when mine stops working.

Let me know if you have any questions. :D

123
Posts: 2595
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by 123 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I've been using Norelcos for over 15 years and they work fine. I typically buy 2 new ones every 5 or 6 years when Costco has them on sale (typically including a set of replacement blade inserts). One for home and one to keep in the business travel luggage (I switch them every couple of months). The might last longer than 5 or 6 years, that's just my sweet spot for avoiding paying the high price ($35+) for another set of replacement blades).

One thing about the Norelco cordless models to note is that they WILL NOT work with a cord. They must be charged and not have a cord plugged in to run. Hasn't been a problem for me.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

obgraham
Posts: 933
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by obgraham » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Some old codgers like me have such messed up hide that a standard razor blade will cause too much blood loss. So I've gone with the electrics for some time, both Norelco and Braun.

The two styles behave differently. Norelco's rotary action is more comfortable to me, especially the newer floating heads. The Braun's back-and-forth action to me gives a closer and faster result. In either case, it takes a while for the skin and hairs to get comfortable with the appliance in use.

takeshi
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by takeshi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:59 pm

mhalley wrote:You might consider a shave kit that includes a good razor, such as a merkur, a good badger brush, a good shave soap such as taylors, and an assortment of blades.
I think the "But you'd really need to ask him" advice in SrGrumpy's post applies to this as well as electrics. Selecting one of either is a very personal thing. I use double edged razors as well and while a Merkur worked well enough it wasn't the best fit for me and finding a "good" brush, soap and blade are their own rabbit holes on top of that. Back when I did try electrics I preferred Norelcos but that was a long time ago. Even then there were those that didn't care for Norelcos.

User avatar
Fletch
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: Electric Razor

Post by Fletch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:09 pm

KT785 wrote:I've had a Braun Series 7 shaver since December 2013 and highly, highly recommend it. I'd wet shaved since I started shaving (I'm 29) and had too much irritation to do so everyday once I started my first job out of law school. I'd also tried various electric shavers over the years, including rotary (Norelco) type and didn't care for them, but the Braun had a ton of glowing reviews so I figured it was worth a try. Since I got the Series 7, I've been able to shave nearly everyday (when I want to) and have no irritation . . . though there was some initial adjustment since I came from a traditional blade razor.

I believe Braun recently came out with a series 9 shaver but the reviews have not been as positive--I'd stick with the Series 7 . . . and plan on getting another 7 if/when mine stops working.

Let me know if you have any questions. :D
Plus 1. I think Costco had a Series 7 on sale recently for about $100. I have one I bought about 3 years ago. Excellent. I have a very tough beard. Much less skin irritation than a blade razor for me.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Electric Razor

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:15 pm

biscuit wrote:Looking to buy father's day gift for my spouse. I'm wondering if you'd recommend any electric razor for clean-shave? Looking to buy one that's long lasting.

TIA!
I use a Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Electric Razor. It works pretty well for me: gets a good clean-shave, has a long battery life, and easy to clean out the blades. I've had to replace the blades and such from time to time, but I think it's just normal wear and tear.

User avatar
ThereAreNoGurus
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm

As a previous poster noted, the same shaver can give a different experience to each person. There are many variables, such as beard and skin types.

I've tried quite a few shavers including the Braun 7 series. I've found Panosonic's Arc V to be the best shaver, bar none.

Avo
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:21 am
Location: California

Re: Electric Razor

Post by Avo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:31 pm

As many have noted, his personal preferences are key.

You could write up a "coupon" for a new shaver and wrap that. My wife & I often do this for each other for presents like this when we don't know enough about what to buy.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Electric Razor

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Try the Braun Cruzer5. Clean shave, foil and blades last forever. Relatively inexpensive. Daughter just got me another this past Christmas.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

btenny
Posts: 4190
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 pm

I have used Norelco electrics for about 55 years. Now days I have the rechargeable kind that is corded or cordless as needed. It provides a good soft shave. I have a lite beard so it works great. I really don't remember how long it has been since I bought this, maybe 8-15 years ago. So they last a long time.

Good Luck.

keystone
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by keystone » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:41 am

I bought a Braun Series 7 on sale at Costco last year. It's the best electric razor I've ever owned.

queso
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by queso » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am

I've owned 2 Braun electrics. Got the first one in college and I'm in my 40s. They last forever. Sure, after a while the battery won't keep a charge so the whole "not working as a corded" thing wouldn't work for me. My Braun isn't like that so basically now it is a corded razor. On a cruzer z-50 now that I bought in May of 2008. No plans to upgrade unless it dies.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2470
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Electric Razor

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am

Like others, it is a personal decision. I never got along with the various electric shavers that I have tried. I prefer a razor and gel but mostly just stick with a beard these days.

I didn't see anyone else suggest this so I thought I would throw it out there. If he is the razor type of fellow, consider a razor of the month club for a year as a gift. I've heard great things from others that have them. Another alternative is to seek out someone who turns pens on a lathe for a hobby. The supply catalogs for the pens also have razor handles that fit standard blades among many other things. I have a custom one made from deer antler that I turned down for myself and use when I need to trim my neck. It definitely looks much better than the cheap plastic things they sell in stores.

queso
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by queso » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:38 am

lthenderson wrote:Like others, it is a personal decision. I never got along with the various electric shavers that I have tried. I prefer a razor and gel but mostly just stick with a beard these days.

I didn't see anyone else suggest this so I thought I would throw it out there. If he is the razor type of fellow, consider a razor of the month club for a year as a gift. I've heard great things from others that have them. Another alternative is to seek out someone who turns pens on a lathe for a hobby. The supply catalogs for the pens also have razor handles that fit standard blades among many other things. I have a custom one made from deer antler that I turned down for myself and use when I need to trim my neck. It definitely looks much better than the cheap plastic things they sell in stores.
I use blades in addition to my old Braun and you can save some dough by buying a Dorco razor and blades directly from Dorco (the same stuff Dollar Shave Club resells). They have sales all the time so I stock up a year or two worth of blades when they run a sale.

raptor001
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Re: Electric Razor

Post by raptor001 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 pm

You need to get a razor that is suited for how you plan on using it and what kind of beard you have. I happen to have a very thick beard and therefore I need a razor that is made to handle that specifically. The Braun series 7 and 9 seemed to be rated the best for that. I also wet shave with my electric razor ( Braun 9 ). Let me tell you that it has been the best thing I have done. Super close shave. I have owned a few electric razors and this is the only one I can say gives me a shave better then the blade. I know it sounds nuts but it's true. If you have very fine hair and don't want to wet shave you can spend a lot less

Post Reply