Moving to Phoenix. Need advice.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tbeller80

Moving to Phoenix. Need advice.

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am

We're moving to Phoenix, AZ the beginning of July. I'm looking to rent an apartment or house either in the North Central area between I-17 and 51, south Scottsdale between the zoo and 101, and Tempe near Highway 60. My office will be right in the middle of downtown so I'm looking at housing either near the light rail or close enough for me to use Park & Ride to get on the train. My search is also narrowed by some elementary schools that have caught my eye. I've made a list of 12 apartments and 16 homes that I'm considering. Are there any particular neighborhoods I should be trying to stay away from? Apartment searching is difficult since it seems like the only people who leave reviews are the angry ones. I've received advice on a few other forums and so far they're telling me to stay away from the south side of the city and to not get too close to ASU. Any thoughts?

bloom2708

Re: Moving to Phoenix. Need advice.

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I know there are Phoenix residents here. I am not.

Have you contacted/worked with a realtor who specializes in renting apartments? You need someone with local knowledge.

Will you be doing multiple visits before renting? Driving through the neighborhoods. Practicing your potential commute (during commute times).
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

I live in the PHX metro, but very far from the city itself and came as a retiree whose parameters were very different from yours.

That said, I completely agree with the advice you cite from other forums. I also agree with bloom2708's points to consider. You may find, as most do, that an eastside suburb, such as Chandler or Mesa might suit you and your family. I say "eastside" because that will keep the bright desert sun out of your eyes when commuting twice a day. Oh, and welcome!

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Tbeller80 wrote:We're moving to Phoenix, AZ the beginning of July. I'm looking to rent an apartment or house either in the North Central area between I-17 and 51, south Scottsdale between the zoo and 101, and Tempe near Highway 60. My office will be right in the middle of downtown so I'm looking at housing either near the light rail or close enough for me to use Park & Ride to get on the train. My search is also narrowed by some elementary schools that have caught my eye. I've made a list of 12 apartments and 16 homes that I'm considering. Are there any particular neighborhoods I should be trying to stay away from? Apartment searching is difficult since it seems like the only people who leave reviews are the angry ones. I've received advice on a few other forums and so far they're telling me to stay away from the south side of the city and to not get too close to ASU. Any thoughts?

What's your family situation? What part of downtown? What's your budget for housing?

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Tbeller80 wrote:We're moving to Phoenix, AZ the beginning of July. I'm looking to rent an apartment or house either in the North Central area between I-17 and 51, south Scottsdale between the zoo and 101, and Tempe near Highway 60. My office will be right in the middle of downtown so I'm looking at housing either near the light rail or close enough for me to use Park & Ride to get on the train. My search is also narrowed by some elementary schools that have caught my eye. I've made a list of 12 apartments and 16 homes that I'm considering. Are there any particular neighborhoods I should be trying to stay away from? Apartment searching is difficult since it seems like the only people who leave reviews are the angry ones. I've received advice on a few other forums and so far they're telling me to stay away from the south side of the city and to not get too close to ASU. Any thoughts?

What's your family situation? What part of downtown? What's your budget for housing?

Married with a 7 year old. I'm in the Army and will be working at the recruiting station on 1st and Washington. I'm trying to spend no more than $1500 on rent. Our plan is to arrive on 8 July and spend a week house-hunting. I have to start work on the 15th.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Long time Phoenix resident now in Scottsdale.

Phoenix is now the fifth largest metro area in USA. Like most cities, areas to avoid and areas that are great. The city core has undergone revitalization lately and lots of people moving back into the Central and downtown corridor. To my knowledge, Madison School district is still pretty decent, as is Arcadia.

I would visit schools to get a feel, and like some others have mentioned you may want to weigh living in the burbs and commuting depending on schools and crime, etc. One thing I don't have a handle on is how much of the growth in Phoenix is singles and couples without kids versus families moving back in, hence why the East Valley (Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa) may have more kids your kids age, etc.

Also, parts of South Scottsdale are not great with schools. Also higher crime. Like most cities, Phoenix is pockets. Tempe is very centered around ASU and depends which part but does have family friendly areas. And some parts pricier.

In terms of cost, East (Gilbert/ChandlerMesa) and West Valley are much lower for housing than North Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Paradise Valley, north Phoenix, etc. Yes, I would avoid nearer to ASU with lots of student rentals, and avoid South Phoenix.

Good luck!

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Jcraz, thanks for the input. There's really only one school in south Scottsdale I'm paying any attention to and a couple schools in the north central Phoenix with Madison being at the top of that list. There are a couple schools in Tempe I'm looking at, but due to ASU influence I'm focused on the area just south of 60 to Elliot Road. I spent the morning on the phone with apartments and cut the list in half (most of the list is in Tempe). My wife and I are starting to trim down the list of houses, but we're not committing to anything until we're much closer to arrival. Our house list so far is evenly split between North Central, Tempe, and south Scottsdale. The Army is going to subsidize my public transit costs, but not parking costs so I'm looking to either find a place within a 40 minute bike ride of downtown or close enough to reasonably bike to a light rail station or a park & ride. All I hear are horror stories about the city's commute so I'm not looking at anything as far away as Gilbert/Mesa/Chandler.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Another long time Phoenix resident here. Welcome to town. My son in law is also Army and former recruiter but now over seas. See the listing below on 60th street for sample housing. This unit is in south Scottsdale or east Phoenix depending on how you define stuff. People mix names of areas here a lot. I am older and my kids are grown so I am not up to speed on where the best schools are but I think this area is fine. This place will be about 20 minute drive via surface streets from your office. You could just drive in Thomas road to 3rd Street and then south to your office. The key to living and working and commuting in the Phoenix metro area is to try to stay less than 15 miles from you work. Then you can drive via freeway or surface main streets and get there in about 30 minutes. So I would look around south Scottsdale where this apartment is and further east and north from this place. These listings are all for exactly $1500 so there are pretty big. If you want to save some money you might revise the search to $1300 or so. But beware that will yield smaller units and they may not be in as nice complexes. So there are trade offs as you know. I am sure you can find something you will like.

I suggest you avoid central Phoenix near your office and anywhere west of the SR51 freeway as that will be older cheaper homes and very mixed culture and lower income so not the best schools or neighborhoods mostly. Likewise do not go over by the I17 freeway as that area is full of gangs and their issues.

2752 N 60th Street, Scottsdale.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/h ... ect/11_zm/

Here is another listing that is further away but nice. 7641 Sandlewood, Scottsdale.

Here is the Zillow map I used to get these places.

If I can help you further let me know here or send me a Private Message if you need special data.
Good Luck.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:18 pm

One more consideration: The actual house or apartment.

Having been in several houses and condos there over the years, the location and its relation to the sun is critical to me. West facing: forget about sitting outside. Look for a place that does not face direct sun later in the day. You'll find the functioning of your a/c to be a lot better. And yes, moving there in July you'll learn that right away!

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 pm

If you pan the map just a few blocks further east, that's where in Scottsdale I'm looking (between El Dorado Park and 101). I'm definitely staying away from anything west of I-17 and my North Central search is between Thomas and Dunlap.

As far as the sun goes, right there with you all. We prefer houses that don't have a lot of grass to feed, but if it has a couple trees we're taking note. We've lived in Colorado Springs for the last couple years and it takes a lot of water to keep a lawn green where grass isn't supposed to grow in the first place.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 pm

I can tell you are not a Phoenix native or previous visitor. It is crazy HOT in Phoenix in the summer. No ones bikes anywhere in the summer except at 4 AM in the dark. And those people get run over by our bad drivers in Phoenix. And they still sweat their a**es off as it will be 85ish at 4 AM and 95 by 7AM. Have you asked around what the parking costs are near you office? I know the Army will subsidize riding the train but that gives you commuting issues IMO. For the summer you are just better off car pooling or driving your self. The key is door to door driving so you are not totally sweated out. There are tons of parking garages and parking lots around your office area. I attached a list of a few garages below. I high lighted one near you office for $77 a month.

http://www.bestparking.com/phoenix-park ... y-parking/

Oh and Phoenix traffic is just not that bad compared to other big cities. Commutes are good IF you stay relatively close to your work. Maybe 12 miles or so. And don't try to drive only at rush hour. Leave a little early. Sometimes leaving 15 minutes early saves you 20-30 minutes setting in traffic. The other issue lots of people here have is they buy a home way out in the suburbs so they have to commute 25 miles or more to work. Then they also buy that suburb home way out west or way out south east (it is cheaper in those places) where traffic is really bad and then they need to drive to work 25-30 miles OR MORE each way to work. So they set in traffic for 50 minutes and they bit**.. about bad traffic. Well I think they are stupid for moving way out of town to live.

Good Luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 pm

I guess I do find a place that looks OK in north Central Phoenix at 33 W Missouri that is in the Madison school district. It is shown below. It is a mile north of the Camelback and Central train station. So you could walk or ride your bike to the train that short distance even in the heat. But I have no idea how you store your bike for the day or how far the train station downtown is from your office. Hope this helps. This area is nice so finding a moderate cost rental unit in this part of town is tough. Good Luck.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/h ... ect/12_zm/

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm

I am by no means an expert, having only been here 5 years, but I have a pretty good feel for most of the valley.

First off, traffic? Nah, Phoenix traffic is nothing after commuting into downtown Seattle for years.

As someone else mentioned, biking to work is hard to do in the summer and the drivers are pretty crazy down here. I wouldn't ride anywhere near the road. Commuting home on your bike when it is 110 out is not fun either.

The areas you first mentioned, between the 17 and 51, I would avoid. There are some nice pockets, but the apartment rentals, for the most part, are not in those nicer areas. There are some skech (sp?) areas down there. Anywhere south of Union Hills (even along Union Hills there are some not as nice areas) and it gets older and cheaper pretty quickly. The advice to look out east is good (Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa), those areas are having pretty big growth and some newer infrastructure out there. If you do want central, Arcadia and some spots along 7th or Central are decent and have been doing well lately. The Biltmore are isn't bad either, worked down there for a couple of years.

We ultimately ended up in N. Scottsdale, north of the 101 due to the schools up here, we are in Paradise Valley SD. We like the desert feel with some more wide open spaces as well. Fortunately, I also work up in the area and have a 7 minute commute.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

North Phoenix is good place for kids. Plenty of good schools. Many years ago i took the valley metro rapid transit to work everyday. The rapid buses were much nicer than the regular valley metro buses you see running around here. There is a park and ride at Bell rd and the 51.

http://routes.valleymetro.org/timetables/transit_route/946?type=5

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am

Tbeller80 wrote:Are there any particular neighborhoods I should be trying to stay away from?

Yes, many. Too many to list here. You'll be surprised. Also watch out for the doped zombies you'll see wandering the streets and freeway offramps.

Phoenix is going down. I'd choose Scottsdale, though in truth I'd avoid Arizona entirely.
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Tbeller80 wrote:Are there any particular neighborhoods I should be trying to stay away from?

DomDangelina wrote:Yes, many. Too many to list here. You'll be surprised. Also watch out for the doped zombies you'll see wandering the streets and freeway offramps.

Phoenix is going down. I'd choose Scottsdale, though in truth I'd avoid Arizona entirely.

I couldn't disagree more strongly with this post.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:00 am

pindevil wrote:North Phoenix is good place for kids. Plenty of good schools. Many years ago i took the valley metro rapid transit to work everyday. The rapid buses were much nicer than the regular valley metro buses you see running around here. There is a park and ride at Bell rd and the 51.

http://routes.valleymetro.org/timetables/transit_route/946?type=5

North Phoenix is really nice. If the OP can stretch the monthly budget a bit more, Desert Ridge is a couple miles north of Bell and the 51 and is an excellent, family-friendly area with outstanding public schools. Straight shot down the 51 to I-10, and then exit Washington to downtown, or the 51 to the 10 and exit 7th street to downtown. Easy commute.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:03 am

Tbeller80 wrote:If you pan the map just a few blocks further east, that's where in Scottsdale I'm looking (between El Dorado Park and 101). I'm definitely staying away from anything west of I-17 and my North Central search is between Thomas and Dunlap.

As far as the sun goes, right there with you all. We prefer houses that don't have a lot of grass to feed, but if it has a couple trees we're taking note. We've lived in Colorado Springs for the last couple years and it takes a lot of water to keep a lawn green where grass isn't supposed to grow in the first place.

If you're going to be in Central Phoenix, you don't want to be south of Thomas Road. You really don't want to be south of Indian School. And Indian School is a funny street. If you're on, say 40th Street and Indian School, and heading east, it's some of the nicest real estate in the Valley (heading into the Arcadia area). But if you're on Indian School west of the 51, especially towards the Avenues, it's not a good part of town. Generally speaking, you want to be east of the 51 and live on one of the Streets, not Avenues (there are minor exceptions to this rule) if you're going to stay in Phoenix.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:04 am

DomDangelina wrote:

Yes, many. Too many to list here. You'll be surprised. Also watch out for the doped zombies you'll see wandering the streets and freeway offramps.

Ha. I guess that's why it's consistently ranked as a great place to live and is the fifth largest city in the nation . Like anyplace we have our challenges , but the future is bright and people vote with their feet .

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:04 am

Tbeller80 wrote:Jcraz, thanks for the input. There's really only one school in south Scottsdale I'm paying any attention to and a couple schools in the north central Phoenix with Madison being at the top of that list. There are a couple schools in Tempe I'm looking at, but due to ASU influence I'm focused on the area just south of 60 to Elliot Road. I spent the morning on the phone with apartments and cut the list in half (most of the list is in Tempe). My wife and I are starting to trim down the list of houses, but we're not committing to anything until we're much closer to arrival. Our house list so far is evenly split between North Central, Tempe, and south Scottsdale. The Army is going to subsidize my public transit costs, but not parking costs so I'm looking to either find a place within a 40 minute bike ride of downtown or close enough to reasonably bike to a light rail station or a park & ride. All I hear are horror stories about the city's commute so I'm not looking at anything as far away as Gilbert/Mesa/Chandler.

South Scottsdale is unremarkable. It is not "Scottsdale" as that name is used / known throughout the country. You can do better than that part of town on $1,500 a month.

Edie

Post by Edie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:46 am

I don't agree with all the negativity towards the west side of the valley (we love our neighborhood and PUSD schools), although I would like a little less sun for my morning commute in the summer, but sunglasses and my car's shade work pretty well to combat that, but I want to add a helpful website for commuting. https://www.sharetheride.com/public/Home.aspx I live almost exactly 15 miles from work (near Chase field) and it takes my passenger and me 25-30 minutes door to door (she lives a half mile closer to work than me), we take surface streets to 17, then surface streets to work (in general, I just avoid the 10 if possible). After telecommuting, carpooling is the best thing to happen to my work/home life balance, and conversation certainly makes the trip feel shorter.

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

Edie wrote:I don't agree with all the negativity towards the west side of the valley (we love our neighborhood and PUSD schools), although I would like a little less sun for my morning commute in the summer, but sunglasses and my car's shade work pretty well to combat that, but I want to add a helpful website for commuting. https://www.sharetheride.com/public/Home.aspx I live almost exactly 15 miles from work (near Chase field) and it takes my passenger and me 25-30 minutes door to door (she lives a half mile closer to work than me), we take surface streets to 17, then surface streets to work (in general, I just avoid the 10 if possible). After telecommuting, carpooling is the best thing to happen to my work/home life balance, and conversation certainly makes the trip feel shorter.

Don't you find disturbing the large numbers of drugged zombies wandering the streets and offramps of Phoenix?
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Dom.

I have no clue what you are talking about or is this just a jest? Maybe you are just trying to discourage more people from moving to Phoenix and making it even more crowded. Phoenix is a great city in lots of ways. It is good place to live and raise a family. The weather is great 6 months a year. That is why tons of people keep moving here every year. The metro area is also nice. So are many parts of west Phoenix. But the metro area does have big city issues like dirty air some days near downtown and poor rough areas of town and so forth. But drugs are not a big problem nor are gangs. Nor is traffic.

Good Luck.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm

DomDangelina wrote:
Edie wrote:I don't agree with all the negativity towards the west side of the valley (we love our neighborhood and PUSD schools), although I would like a little less sun for my morning commute in the summer, but sunglasses and my car's shade work pretty well to combat that, but I want to add a helpful website for commuting. https://www.sharetheride.com/public/Home.aspx I live almost exactly 15 miles from work (near Chase field) and it takes my passenger and me 25-30 minutes door to door (she lives a half mile closer to work than me), we take surface streets to 17, then surface streets to work (in general, I just avoid the 10 if possible). After telecommuting, carpooling is the best thing to happen to my work/home life balance, and conversation certainly makes the trip feel shorter.

Don't you find disturbing the large numbers of drugged zombies wandering the streets and offramps of Phoenix?

Significantly fewer than in Seattle or other cities...

jezo

Post by jezo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:11 pm

A realtor may be able to help you.
I know of a realtor who can help you check mls.
If you want to send me a message I can get you in touch with him.
He also has a condo for rent in the 85020 zipcode.

Ethereal

Post by Ethereal » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 pm

You mentioned just south of the 60 in Tempe, so thought you'd like to know that an apartment complex just opened up this week. It is at Rural & Baseline on Lakeshore. It's super close to the 60, a Whole Foods, etc. The website is www.liveatharper.com.

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 pm

btenny wrote:Dom.

I have no clue what you are talking about or is this just a jest? Maybe you are just trying to discourage more people from moving to Phoenix and making it even more crowded. Phoenix is a great city in lots of ways. It is good place to live and raise a family. The weather is great 6 months a year. That is why tons of people keep moving here every year. The metro area is also nice. So are many parts of west Phoenix. But the metro area does have big city issues like dirty air some days near downtown and poor rough areas of town and so forth. But drugs are not a big problem nor are gangs. Nor is traffic.

Good Luck.

I've been to Phoenix a couple of times recently. Both times I was deeply disturbed by the high numbers of clearly doped up zombies wandering the streets all over the place with robbery and murder in their eyes.

Edie

Post by Edie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:37 pm

DomDangelina wrote:Don't you find disturbing the large numbers of drugged zombies wandering the streets and offramps of Phoenix?

DomDangelina wrote:I've been to Phoenix a couple of times recently. Both times I was deeply disturbed by the high numbers of clearly doped up zombies wandering the streets all over the place with robbery and murder in their eyes.

I just got home from a trip to my hometown in CA, the panhandlers there were far more disruptive than I've ever seen them here (making an assumption that you're describing the people begging at the exit ramps as the drugged zombies). YM(and your perceptions)MV. I also don't see near the amount of drug paraphernalia here as I did back home. So I guess I don't see what you see, and don't find it disturbing (not that I don't feel sad for other people's circumstances).

I think Phoenix is a great place to live (I grew up in the heat, these summers aren't as brutal to me as others). Tbeller80, I hope you've gotten some useful information from this thread.

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Edie wrote: I just got home from a trip to my hometown in CA, the panhandlers there were far more disruptive than I've ever seen them here....

Agreed, California is worse in every way. Thus I'm soon fleeing California. Yet Phoenix is still crawling with zombies.

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Ethereal wrote:You mentioned just south of the 60 in Tempe, so thought you'd like to know that an apartment complex just opened up this week. It is at Rural & Baseline on Lakeshore. It's super close to the 60, a Whole Foods, etc. The website is http://www.liveatharper.com.

Thanks for the tip. They hadn't popped up on any of my searches yet.
AZAttorney11 wrote:
Tbeller80 wrote:If you pan the map just a few blocks further east, that's where in Scottsdale I'm looking (between El Dorado Park and 101). I'm definitely staying away from anything west of I-17 and my North Central search is between Thomas and Dunlap.

If you're going to be in Central Phoenix, you don't want to be south of Thomas Road. You really don't want to be south of Indian School. And Indian School is a funny street. If you're on, say 40th Street and Indian School, and heading east, it's some of the nicest real estate in the Valley (heading into the Arcadia area). But if you're on Indian School west of the 51, especially towards the Avenues, it's not a good part of town. Generally speaking, you want to be east of the 51 and live on one of the Streets, not Avenues (there are minor exceptions to this rule) if you're going to stay in Phoenix.

The only place in that part of town we're looking at is an apartment complex, and it's not at the top of our list. It's the closest to work, but I don't like any of the schools nearby. We found a few nice homes further north closer to the canal, but they'll probably be snatched up before we get there so we're still looking.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:55 pm

We live north of the 101 also. I used to teach at South Mtn CC. I drove to Desert Ridge area, boarded a clean and mostly empty city bus, and was delivered to the front entrance of campus. No fuss, inexpensive, clean and safe. So check the bus routes-not just light rail. Since that time they have added bus service all the way north to Thompson Peak Parkway.
You are Not going to like riding bike. Parking close to your new work is an expensive hassle.
Second point- AZ has many very good free charter schools. Great Schools search will help you expand search and likely get superior education.
I consider Northeast PHX area to be currently overbuilt with apartments. I haven't looked but I bet you could find a nice unit near Desert Ridge or Mayo campus.
Any other questions you are free to pm me.
THANK YOU for your service.
"not all storms are in the forecast"

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Ethereal wrote:You mentioned just south of the 60 in Tempe, so thought you'd like to know that an apartment complex just opened up this week. It is at Rural & Baseline on Lakeshore. It's super close to the 60, a Whole Foods, etc. The website is http://www.liveatharper.com.

All of the rental websites say they're available, but I called and they said they're booked through September.

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Found a place in Tempe within walking distance of a great school with a 25-30 min commute depending on traffic.

Btenny, thanks for the parking lot site. I found a garage two blocks from the office that does $50/month. I start work on Friday and I'll go see them about buying the pass.

Everyone else, thanks for the information and advice. This city is massive and quite busy. My wife is filling up a list of museums, parks, and other events to occupy our weekends.

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Edie wrote:
DomDangelina wrote:Don't you find disturbing the large numbers of drugged zombies wandering the streets and offramps of Phoenix?

DomDangelina wrote:I've been to Phoenix a couple of times recently. Both times I was deeply disturbed by the high numbers of clearly doped up zombies wandering the streets all over the place with robbery and murder in their eyes.

I just got home from a trip to my hometown in CA, the panhandlers there were far more disruptive than I've ever seen them here (making an assumption that you're describing the people begging at the exit ramps as the drugged zombies). YM(and your perceptions)MV. I also don't see near the amount of drug paraphernalia here as I did back home. So I guess I don't see what you see, and don't find it disturbing (not that I don't feel sad for other people's circumstances).

I think Phoenix is a great place to live (I grew up in the heat, these summers aren't as brutal to me as others). Tbeller80, I hope you've gotten some useful information from this thread.

I had to give you two an update. I took my first ride on the Metro rail this morning to test-drive my commute and found the system and trains to be clean, comfortable, and easy to use. I also stepped on a hypodermic needle in the park & ride parking lot and the guy I sat next to on the train looked to be an addict of some sort. He was jittery, mumbling to himself, and having coughing fits every couple minutes.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Well, we are the fifth largest city in the nation . The same is true in any large city . In my forays downtown you run into homeless and druggies , but the downtown is now really safe at night compared to 20 years ago. Lots of gentrification , great eats ,ASu,U of A med center and a vibrant night life .

There are areas to avoid like any city . I have a hard time believing we are worse than say LA where homeless have literal encampments by the freeway . Homeless and beggars on Santa Monica blvd and pier and even in affluent Orange County .

Yeah , we have warts , but I'll take 330 days of sun anytime with great dining , golf , and resorts to two feet of snow and gray skies and high taxes . :)

Tbeller80 wrote:
Edie wrote:

I had to give you two an update. I took my first ride on the Metro rail this morning to test-drive my commute and found the system and trains to be clean, comfortable, and easy to use. I also stepped on a hypodermic needle in the park & ride parking lot and the guy I sat next to on the train looked to be an addict of some sort. He was jittery, mumbling to himself, and having coughing fits every couple minutes.

Tbeller80

Post by Tbeller80 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 am

Don't get me wrong, it could have been a lot worse. I just thought it was hilarious what happened considering what folks were debating earlier in this thread. I'm really looking forward to living here.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 am

Welcome to Phoenix and Thank You for your service to our country!

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:00 am

Tbeller80 wrote:
Edie wrote:
DomDangelina wrote:I also stepped on a hypodermic needle in the park & ride parking lot and the guy I sat next to on the train looked to be an addict of some sort. He was jittery, mumbling to himself, and having coughing fits every couple minutes.

I told you.

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 am

Tbeller80 wrote:I also stepped on a hypodermic needle in the park & ride parking lot and the guy I sat next to on the train looked to be an addict of some sort. He was jittery, mumbling to himself, and having coughing fits every couple minutes.
[/quote][/quote]

I told you.[/quote]

DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 am

Tbeller80 wrote:I also stepped on a hypodermic needle in the park & ride parking lot and the guy I sat next to on the train looked to be an addict of some sort. He was jittery, mumbling to himself, and having coughing fits every couple minutes.

I told you. You'll be seeing much, much more of this.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am

DomDangelina wrote:

I told you. You'll be seeing much, much more of this.

I was stepping over homeless people and drug addicts in Newport Beach, CA two weeks ago.

Your point?

tj

Post by tj » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm

I recently moved to the area. I'm living near 101 Loop & McDowell. I work near 101 Loop and 19th ave. It's just under 30 miles northwest around the 101 Loop. I had no traffic driving to a job interview @ 10 am, but how early would I realistically need to leave in the morning to start work at 8?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 pm

tj wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm
I recently moved to the area. I'm living near 101 Loop & McDowell. I work near 101 Loop and 19th ave. It's just under 30 miles northwest around the 101 Loop. I had no traffic driving to a job interview @ 10 am, but how early would I realistically need to leave in the morning to start work at 8?
No clue (I am up north and don't frequent that area), but keep in mind that summer will always be lighter than snowbird season and the events that bring people here during the winter.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 pm

My wife is a Phoenix native, so she didn't have any issues commuting by bike (mtn bike) 20 miles roundtrip until the beginning of June and starting again at the end of August from Mesa to ASU.

I am not a Phoenix native. I stop riding around early/mid April, too hot and brutal after that for me. I don't take it back up again until the end of September/beginning of October. Maybe very early mornings in May would be passable, but I'd likely get a heat stroke later in the day.

The heat around here is no joke, drink and bring plenty of water with you wherever you go, get good tint for your car windows and keep your home's A/C well maintained.

For recreational mountain biking I recommend south mountain in the late fall, winter and early spring and heading up to Prescott or Sedona in the late spring, summer and early fall.

If you have pets, best get used to making them indoor pets - wouldn't be kind at all to leave a dog outside in this summer heat whether or not they are acclimated to this area.