AAA Cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cheyenne

Re: AAA Cost

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:58 pm

$113.00/yr. for Plus membership for both of us in PA. Will tow up to 100 miles. Incl.: free passport photos and free travelers checks (if anyone uses those anymore).

researcher

Post by researcher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 pm

texasdiver wrote:There are many urban freeways that basically have no safe shoulder where you can change a tire at all. If you want to be remotely safe you basically have to either drive to the next exit or wait for the freeway roadside assistance trucks that are operated by the state.
I don't know if changing a tire is prohibited, but I'd certainly not attempt it on some freeways around here.
It is rare for there to be a specific regulation prohibiting changing your own tire....As a result, I do not even possess a spare, so I could not change a flat if I wanted to. There is no amount of money that could compel me to change a tire on the traffic side of a busy road.

If I get a flat in my garage, I have all the tools to address it and at a minimum get to a tire shop. If I'm on a busy road, a professional will handle it and I literally do not care what that means from a cost perspective.
Of course it would be inadvisable for anyone to change their flat tire when on the traffic side of a busy shoulderless interstate.

But how often does a flat tire occur during those exact circumstances? 5%? 10%?

The other 95% of the time, you can easily, safely, quickly & legally change it yourself.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm

For me it's worth it to know AAA will send someone and cover the cost. Last flat I had was at 6 AM, 10 degree snowy weather, I was in a suit headed to work, two lane road, no streetlights and I could only pull off the road halfway. Called AAA, 5 minutes later I get a call from an AAA driver, he's coming from a garage 20 miles away. I would be very surprised if auto insurance coverage would have paid someone to come that far and I would have had to wait until whoever the insurer had contracted with was available. And if that operator was busy towing or jumpstarting cars for cash-paying customers I might have been there all day. Rare, yes. But that's worth the $60/year per person to us.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 pm

AAA East Central PA rates:
They don't offer "basic" here.
Classic: $50
Plus: $84 (+35 for MC or RV)
Premier: $119 (plus $35 for MC or RV)

See link for benefits:
http://www.eastcentral.aaa.com/home/mem ... rison.html
Last edited by munemaker on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 pm

bdaniel58 wrote:I am a man and change my own tires. ...

But as a general life rule, I only insure for things that would be a financial hardship. ...
Two points:

1) AAA does more than change tires (Some new cars don't even include spares...and sometimes drivers don't even know that until they have a problem. Happened to a coworker of mine in a new Dodge Dart). The other thing about changing tires...some of these garages overtorque the wheel lugs, and then you have a flat on a dark snowy road, and try to loosen the overtightened lugs with the rinky dink wrenches that some vehicle manufacturers provide...

2) It is not about a financial hardship. It is about someone coming to help you quickly at any hour of the day or night if you are stuck somewhere under adverse conditions.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
F150HD wrote:my experience with 'roadside' on auto policies is that they're about worthless- like a hook up and tow more then 20 miles where the auto policy only refunds $50 but the tow was $200. Have seen motorcycle tows cost more then $300.
That's not the case with AmFam. I have had a few tows over the years, from either home or somewhere local to my usual repair facility. These have never resulted in out-of-pocket costs.
I was listening to Clark Howard podcast today. He said MANY companies (not ALL) will tag your CLUE report as making an auto insurance claim when you used insurance company provided roadside assistance. He says this can make it more difficult to change insurers. He also said some insurance companies will raise your rate.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Not really surprised to read that there is a reason for offering such cheap roadside service.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm

munemaker wrote:I was listening to Clark Howard podcast today....
didn't he used to play left field for the Houston Astros?

david99

Post by david99 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I pay $82 per year for one person for AAA plus. I think it's worth it. I needed a tow last December at 10 pm --- there were no garages open. I suppose that I could use GEICO but with AAA plus I get towing for up to 100 miles. Don't sweat the small stuff.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

mw1739 wrote:How much does everyone pay for AAA? My understanding is that varies state by state. We just got a renewal invoice for $190 for my wife and I for the AAA Plus membership, which seems high. Even the basic membership would be $120 for the two of us. Is there any way to get a discounted membership? Does anyone pay more/less than the figures I was quoted?
$114 Plus for 2

Others discussed changing a flat...I learned the hard way that I didn't carry enough stuff to change a tire safely.

I recently had a flat in a 5500 lb truck; I parked in a safe place, found the jack, got the tire off the ground, and the truck slipped off the jack. I moved the jack to a better location, and got the tire off the ground again, removed the lug nuts, and attempted to pull the tire off...it was stuck...and the truck fell of the jack again. I called AAA and we eventually got the spare on. The gentleman was surprised but thankful that I tipped him.

I now carry $10 tyvec overalls, three short 2x4s, light wheel chocks, a Cartman telescoping lug wrench, and a 22 pound jack/jack stand combo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U ... UTF8&psc=1

Jacks in my other 2 vehicles seem to be OK. I will add a 16X16 inch piece of 3/4 in plywood, tyvec overalls, wheel chocks, and a telescoping lug wrench.

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 am

IlliniGuy wrote:I cancelled my AAA when I realized that I could add roadside assistance coverage to my GEICO policy for both my wife and me for less than $10 per year.

Before making the switch, I asked GEICO whether utilizing roadside assistance would adversely impact my insurance rates, as an accident would, and was told that it wouldn't.
The value of aaa to me is having a 1800 number.

My insurance reimburses. So, if I have to find a tow at 0200 then I have to bing search for towing companies, hope someone answers, pay them up front and then get reimbursed. There is some value in not having to do that.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 am

Thank you Saladdin for your post. You wrote that your insurance company reimburses you. But then they'll know and I would be afraid that they'll raise your insurance. May I ask the name of your insurance company?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

saladdin wrote:The value of aaa to me is having a 1800 number.

My insurance reimburses. So, if I have to find a tow at 0200 then I have to bing search for towing companies, hope someone answers, pay them up front and then get reimbursed. There is some value in not having to do that.
With American Family you just call the 800 number on your card and select roadside assistance. There's a contract firm that handles the service.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:49 am

$7.38 annually for State Farm's Emergency Roadside service. I got tired of paying AAA's fee and rarely using it.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Almost there wrote:Thank you Saladdin for your post. You wrote that your insurance company reimburses you. But then they'll know and I would be afraid that they'll raise your insurance. May I ask the name of your insurance company?
Erie Insurance.
They do not count it as a claim, for me.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Almost there wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the Groupon deal.
You would think these deals are for all the states.
AAA allow you to transfer the membership. So even if you buy from virginia, you can
always transfer that to your new address. Eventually leave it as is if you want.
So all you need is a Virgnia address for initial set up !!!! Hope it helps to save few dollars
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

turnturnturn

Post by turnturnturn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:24 pm

I don't have hard data to back this up, but I've always suspected that I've had quicker responses on tows and lockout services when I don't go through AAA. I've heard that AAA pays the tow companies squat and I guess they respond accordingly, especially when they're busy. So although it's a bit of a hassle to submit the tow bill to insurance, I prefer that over AAA. It's like dog years ... 1 hour roadside seems like 10 hours anywhere else.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:02 pm

turnturnturn wrote:I don't have hard data to back this up, but I've always suspected that I've had quicker responses on tows and lockout services when I don't go through AAA. I've heard that AAA pays the tow companies squat and I guess they respond accordingly, especially when they're busy. So although it's a bit of a hassle to submit the tow bill to insurance, I prefer that over AAA. It's like dog years ... 1 hour roadside seems like 10 hours anywhere else.
turnturnturn, I think that you have a good point. A friend runs a towing service. He used to be AAA affiliated, but quit because there wasn't enough money. I always call him for jobs that don't fit AAA. On my last AAA call a few weeks ago, the company sent me a "new guy." He was energetic and he aimed to please...but he didn't have the skills needed to solve my problem. My friend's company would have solved the problem promptly; but he was 70 miles away. I'll stick with AAA because I can call and someone will answer either my call or my wife's call anywhere.

On my last AAA call, the local tow company called me several times to check on me. They called me afterwards for my evaluation; they we're hoping that I would give a max evaluation when AAA called with their survey. When you "do it yourself" you may or may not get that kind of customer service. I always worry about trying to find a tow company in the middle of the night. AAA does a great job of answering their phone.

grp2c

Post by grp2c » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:19 pm

anyone try the roadside dispatch benefit offered by visa

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/c ... its.html#2

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:33 pm

grp2c wrote:anyone try the roadside dispatch benefit offered by visa

grp2c,

Useful info!
Both of my Visa Cards have "Signature" in the bottom right corner. So I have that service available now. $60 or $70 for a service call that covers most of what AAA covers. It doesn't show a price for the 100 mile towing that AAA offers Plus customers. If I see favorable reviews, I may try that next year when my AAA runs out.

EDIT...

I just compare Visa Sig. to AAA Plus. AAA Plus seems to have more liberal Extraction and Flat Tire services:

AAA:
Flat Tire Service
If the vehicle’s spare tire is inflated and serviceable, it will be installed to replace a flat tire. When a serviceable spare tire is not available or cannot be installed, towing will be provided under the towing benefit.

Extrication/Winching Service
If your vehicle becomes stuck, one normally equipped service vehicle and one driver will be provided to extricate or winch your vehicle when it can be safely reached from a normally traveled road or established thoroughfare. Extrication of vehicles parked on streets, driveways, parking lots or alleys which are snowbound or flooded is not covered under AAA membership. Service does not include shoveling snow from around a vehicle or cleaning a road or driveway is not provided. If special equipment, more than one service vehicle or more than one person is required, the associated costs may be at your expense.

Visa Signature:

Tire Changing — You must have a good, inflated spare tire
Winching — Your car must be within 100 feet of paved or county maintained road)

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
There is groupon deal in virginia
if you have any friend in Virginia then check groupon and buy one.
There are several AAA affiliated clubs that do business in Virginia. Which club are you referring to?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

hudson wrote:
grp2c wrote:anyone try the roadside dispatch benefit offered by visa

grp2c,

Useful info!
Both of my Visa Cards have "Signature" in the bottom right corner. So I have that service available now. $60 or $70 for a service call that covers most of what AAA covers.
The bigger question is will someone come when and where you need them.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm

$60 or $70 per service call is not bad. What if you have more than 2 calls in one year? You'll be paying more than AAA charges per year. No matter when I have called them, someone came.

A couple of years ago my brand new battery stopped working. I called AAA and the person checked my battery and determined that it was not recharging. Took it back to the shop and they installed a new battery. It's still working after 3 years without any incidence.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 pm

If you are a SPRINT customer and a AAA customer you can get Classic renewed for free. Read the fine print of course. Cannot do this if you already receive a discount on your plan for something else.

https://promo.sprint.com/AAA/ExistingLa ... ity%3Aaaa#
__

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:31 pm

mw1739 wrote:How much does everyone pay for AAA? My understanding is that varies state by state. We just got a renewal invoice for $190 for my wife and I for the AAA Plus membership, which seems high. Even the basic membership would be $120 for the two of us. Is there any way to get a discounted membership? Does anyone pay more/less than the figures I was quoted?

We are about the same price for Plus for the two of us. It's really high relative to many other rates I've seen. We're in the mid-atlantic, which seems to be higher than other regions for some reason. Still, nearly $200/year is a tough pill to swallow. I've been a member for over 20 years, but I'm finding it harder to renew every year.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
There are several AAA affiliated clubs that do business in Virginia. Which club are you referring to?

https://www.groupon.com/deals/aaa-tidewater-virginia-1

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:

Thanks. Note that AAA Tidewater only does business in a small portion of Virginia (Tidewater [Hampton Roads] area). The majority of Virginia is served by AAA Mid-Atlantic. AAA Mid-Atlantic is not participating in the above promotion.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:11 am

criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:

Thanks. Note that AAA Tidewater only does business in a small portion of Virginia (Tidewater [Hampton Roads] area). The majority of Virginia is served by AAA Mid-Atlantic. AAA Mid-Atlantic is not participating in the above promotion.
When I move from NC to GA, i transfer my NC AAA to GA AAA at no cost.
AAA is not location bound and so I can use my AAA bought in Hampton to
be used in Vienna VA or Chantilly VA.
Let me know if i miss something

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 am

I moved my AAA membership when I moved from NJ to AZ. But AAA AZ send me a renewal letter but it took awhile until my address etc was moved. Now the only problem remains is when I call the 800 # they transfer me to NJ since my cell phone number has a NJ area code. Now I just call the local AZ AAA office.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Just renewed this morning, this thread is timely. I paid $82 for my wife and I (basic membership). We've been long-time members, and undoubtedly recouped our money over the years with the occasional "save my life" incident, e.g. flat battery, locked keys, etc.

I rarely find an opportunity to use their discounts though, and the other services are irrelevant for us. Besides the regular car/home insurance, this must be the only type of insurance I never really questioned. Maybe I should, as our multiple credit cards may very well address the need.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:56 pm

I am quite capable of changing a tire. Unless someone bent something when installing it. Three men tried to show me how to do it that day before the first one got back with a tow truck.

That being said, I have Progressive insurance, an American Express card and rarely go far enough from civilization that paying $100+ every year would be cheaper than paying out of pocket.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 am

core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:

Of course you can use your AAA card issued by any card at any place that accepts an AAA card. However, when renewal time comes the clubs are contractually bound to only renew in their respective service area.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:47 pm

criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

Of course you can use your AAA card issued by any card at any place that accepts an AAA card. However, when renewal time comes the clubs are contractually bound to only renew in their respective service area.
I dont have AAA right now however there is an option in the card settings to "Automatic" renew.
If its been enabled then they do automatically without looking your address.
I never auto renewed though !!!!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm

curious, does your AAA cost go up each year? or only when AAA has an overall increase which affects everyone?

Had Allstate Motor Club for awhile and each year it went up, sometimes quite excessively until I dumped it. (was handy to tow vehicles one owns other than cars- like a motorcycle or RV etc)

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
I dont have AAA right now however there is an option in the card settings to "Automatic" renew.
If its been enabled then they do automatically without looking your address.
I never auto renewed though !!!!
The club computer systems need to "look" at your address to send you a card. And yes it does notice. When my autorenewal came up after moving, I was directed to renew at the club serving my current zip code.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 pm

$153 for Plus membership with two adults.