How to buy another car key?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Smokey21

How to buy another car key?

Post by Smokey21 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 am

We bought a 2014 Subaru that only came with one key. Any advice on how and where to buy a spare?

2pedals

Re: How to buy another car key?

Post by 2pedals » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:07 am

At a Subaru dealership.

For my Toyota I tried using knockoff key from ebay but they were were very poorly made, one worked they other did not when I took it to the dealership program the chip. After I dropped my knockoff key on the pavement the split in two with computer chips, batteries and other parts flying all over the place in the parking lot. After about an hour with some Macgyver like skills, I was able to reassemble it but I do not recommend buying a knockoff. You have to go to dealership to program the chip anyway, even if they don't work you will end up paying to program the knockoff. At the dealership you results will be much better - but you will pay for that. I keep my cars a long time so if you are planing to keep your car for more that a few years just get a new one at the dealership.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:10 am

My 2012 Subaru has a chipped key, meaning if I just copy it, it won't work. You probably have to use a dealer, or someone who specializes in auto keys to get another one. For some reason, I'm thinking I have a code or they use my VIN if I need more. Mine came with two keys with the built in remote locks, alarm, trunk, one valet, and one extra chip. If you purchased from a private party, did you ask the prior owner? If you bought from a dealer, they probably gave you everything they received.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 am

This happened to us and the dealer paid to have the Toyota dealer make a duplicate.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 am

If all you need is one, just go down to the local hardware store and get a backup made for a couple bucks. Then in the future if you loose the fob with the battery powered remote functions, you can ask this question in the future. Why buy and maintain (replace batteries so they don't corrode) an expensive key that is only used as a backup if the first key is lost?

If you need two keys, get an OEM one. They are made much better than cheap knockoffs that seem to be everywhere.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am

The majority of keys are chipped keys these days. The way they generally work is that if you have two, you can program a third yourself. But if you only have one, you can't program the second key yourself and you generally need a dealer to do it.

However, you don't have to buy the key from the dealer. You can buy the key from eBay or your hardware store and have it cut there, and then bring the key to the dealer for programming. It might be cheaper to do it this way than to buy the key at the dealer.

As a side note, the key is not programmed. The vehicle is programmed to accept the key.

Imbros

Post by Imbros » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 am

jbmitt wrote:My 2012 Subaru has a chipped key, meaning if I just copy it, it won't work. You probably have to use a dealer, or someone who specializes in auto keys to get another one. For some reason, I'm thinking I have a code or they use my VIN if I need more. Mine came with two keys with the built in remote locks, alarm, trunk, one valet, and one extra chip. If you purchased from a private party, did you ask the prior owner? If you bought from a dealer, they probably gave you everything they received.
This.

It used to be as simple as paying a couple of bucks and making a duplicate, but not anymore in most cases.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am

Smokey21 wrote:We bought a 2014 Subaru that only came with one key. Any advice on how and where to buy a spare?
Covered above but the broad, sweeping generalized options are: pay more at the Subaru dealer and have less potential hassle or use a third party that can handle chipped keys and have potentially more hassle. Unless you only have one dealer near you, shop around.

I'd +1 the comments to check with the seller. If you bought from a dealer this is a negotiation point and you probably could have arranged to get the dealer to provide you with however many keys the vehicle originally came with. If you bought from an individual and they lost it or something I would highly recommend going to a Subaru dealer so they can prevent the missing key from working with the vehicle.
miamivice wrote:However, you don't have to buy the key from the dealer. You can buy the key from eBay or your hardware store and have it cut there, and then bring the key to the dealer for programming. It might be cheaper to do it this way than to buy the key at the dealer.
Though check with the dealer first. Some refuse to program keys that are brought in even if they are OEM.
lthenderson wrote:If you need two keys, get an OEM one. They are made much better than cheap knockoffs that seem to be everywhere.
The market is flooded with a lot of poor quality aftermarket keys but not all aftermarket keys are worse than OEM. The OEM keys for our Lexus are known for breaking though -- fingers crossed -- ours are still holding up. Many Lexus dealers sell an aftermarket key that is designed to hold up better.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 am

miamivice wrote:However, you don't have to buy the key from the dealer. You can buy the key from eBay or your hardware store and have it cut there, and then bring the key to the dealer for programming. It might be cheaper to do it this way than to buy the key at the dealer.
Though check with the dealer first. Some refuse to program keys that are brought in even if they are OEM.

I don't see how a dealer could legally refuse to program a vehicle to accept a particular key. I have done it twice with two dealers (one with Ford and one with Chrysler) and both readily agreed to do it without objection.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:09 am

While our days of buying a new car are probably over (in retirement with low driving mileage), because these "high tech" keys and remote buttons are so expensive, I wonder if getting an extra key and remote at the time of purchase of a new car (maybe even a late model used car) might be a negotiating issue to finalize a sales deal?

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 am

Many older model vehicles can be self-programmed without the two keys with the so called "chicken dance".

This is essentially a "secret" procedure that involves some variation of sequence and repetitive times of; manipulating the driver's side door lock button, open and closing the car door(s) and turning the ignition from off to on (not start).

The ability to do it this way varies by make, model, and year. I do not know for sure. but it is unlikely to work for a 2014. It is more common for vehicles >= 10 years old.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 pm

This question is best asked on a forum specific to your car. Search the web for Subaru forums and ask there, in the appropriate category for your specific model.

The answer to this question will differ wildly based on what car you have.

For example, on my Corvette, I can buy an inexpensive keyfob and program it myself. Also I can buy a blank key online with a GM VATS chip with the correct resistance to match my existing key, then just get it cut locally. On my Range Rover I'm not so lucky.

samtex

Post by samtex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:58 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:This question is best asked on a forum specific to your car. Search the web for Subaru forums and ask there, in the appropriate category for your specific model.

The answer to this question will differ wildly based on what car you have.

For example, on my Corvette, I can buy an inexpensive keyfob and program it myself. Also I can buy a blank key online with a GM VATS chip with the correct resistance to match my existing key, then just get it cut locally. On my Range Rover I'm not so lucky.
Good point. Try a Subaru forum but you might also check Ebay. When my key fob died, I purchased a key fob w/key for my GM product and programmed it myself (see YouTube). I was also able to change out the blank key with my old blank. In your case you would need the new key blank cut by a local locksmith. My purchase appeared to be identical to factory but there are also aftermarket ones that will work but not identical. Buying one for a Subaru will be more difficult.

PS: I just Googled Ebay subaru key fob. Looks like quite a few.

Samtex

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm

I priced a key fob from several dealers last year for a cheap 11 year old chevy sedan. They all wanted $250-275 for fob and programming. Whole car probably isn't worth more than a few hundred bucks. :wink:

I then tried the ebay route, buying a $20 key fob from a company with a large number of postive ratings and reviews. Just ended up wasting a ton of time for nothing. Took it to dealer- they tried to program it a couple of times but it didn't work. Didn't charge me for the time. Claimed the problem wasn't on their end. (I triple checked that it was the right model and I made sure to install a fresh battery, so that wasn't the problem.) I returned it and just lived without remote entry ever since and use old school key in lock until we get rid of the car next year.

For those asking about getting just one key from dealers: if you buy rental fleet cars from Car Max Hertz/Enterprise, they often only give you one. Enterprise clearly states that on their site. Not sure why.

Brent S

Post by Brent S » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I recently successfully replaced a key for a 2008 Subaru Outback. Note that this is a chipped key where the remote control/fob and key are all one unit. Here's what I did:

1. Called the dealer and got a quote of $350 for new key, re-programming, key cutting, etc.

2. Looked up the part number for a new (uncut) OEM key/fob, and found it on Amazon for $80.

3. Took it the new key/fob to a reputable locksmith and they were able to cut the key and then re-program the car (via the OBD port) to recognize the chip in the new key. $45.

4. Looked up a video on youtube for instructions on how to program the car to recognize the remote control portion (for locking/unlocking the doors).

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Home Depot cut and showed me how to program my new key for a 2011 Toyota Avalon.

Ralph

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:37 am

Smokey21 wrote:We bought a 2014 Subaru that only came with one key. Any advice on how and where to buy a spare?
Buy a blank key at subarugenuineparts.com, which is run by a Subaru dealership in WA, so you know you are getting a genuine Subaru key. Go to your local dealership to have the new key cut and programmed (about $80 in my area). Bring your existing key as well and have them wipe the memory before programming both keys to make sure any previous keys won't work.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.