EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 pm

I was using my EZPass when in a rental in MA. One toll did not get read (there were several others over the days of rental that did get read) and Budget hit me with a $20 fee plus $6.50 for the toll.

If EZPass had worked the toll would have been around $3.00 A call to Budget got the admin fee removed but could not tell me how to address the problem so that it did not occur in the future. I did NOT register the rental's tag number with EZPass if that seems relevant.

Do I call the Mass Pike?? Or is it a more generic problem that could occur with other road authorities??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

User avatar
rob
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by rob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:I did NOT register the rental's tag number with EZPass if that seems relevant.
They will just tell you to register the tags :-/
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

bloom2708
Posts: 4911
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm

I would just pay the $6.50 and move on. Your time is worth more than $3.00 for the minutes it will take to investigate. Or maybe it already hit your CC.

I had a rental car, did not get the EZPass and accidently went over a toll bridge. About 2 months later I got the charge. It was work related, so I just paid it.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Millennial
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Millennial » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Register the tags next time. If EZ Pass is not read, Mass will go to the plate. If they see the plate is assigned to an account, they will bill the account as if the EZ Pass had read. You won't even know next time it doesn't read, and more importantly neither will Budget.

Carson
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Carson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 pm

As long as the line isn't brutal we go through the manual toll line if it is an option. That way we know we are in the clear.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Right, I can see that registering the tag is the sure fire way to go. Never had to do so in the past, although when I am in my registered vehicle I get, from time to time, "Call EZPass" on the board as I pass through the toll. Never have so I assume they do as suggested above and match the tag to the account.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

mmmodem
Posts: 1477
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 am

I got hit with a $30 admin fee when the Fastrak toll failed to read in my rental. It's a $30 mistake I never made again as I pay the toll with cash. Thanks for the tip about adding the rental to my account.

strafe
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by strafe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:10 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:Right, I can see that registering the tag is the sure fire way to go. Never had to do so in the past, although when I am in my registered vehicle I get, from time to time, "Call EZPass" on the board as I pass through the toll. Never have so I assume they do as suggested above and match the tag to the account.
Make sure you UNregister the tags on your rental car when you're done....

User avatar
stickman731
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by stickman731 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 am

In NJ, on the summons, just fill out the form with your EZ pass Tag ID and they just charge the toll no fees.

I once had 98 (yes 98 violations) in the NJ/NY/ PA area - I had a lot of windshield time on my sales job. I forgot that I placed the device in my other vehicle (truck for housework) which i rarely did and thought it was attached to the window; so for two weeks, I travelled like I always did until I got stuck on the Whitestone Bridge and the auto lever did not go up. Then, the violation notifications started to roll in from ever transit authority. I just completed the form and they charged the toll.

About two weeks later, they actually sent me a new device because they thought the old one was defective.

The Wizard
Posts: 12363
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:41 am

Carson wrote:As long as the line isn't brutal we go through the manual toll line if it is an option. That way we know we are in the clear.
As of last Halloween, our wonderful MassPike has no more toll booths, all electronic now.

As for registering plates, I have one EZPass account with two transponders, one for each of my vehicles, which are obviously registered on my account . If I was flying to somewhere else in EZPass territory and renting a car, then yes, I could take one of my transponders with me and then log into my account and register that rental car's plate.
But have to remember to Unregister it at the end of the trip to avoid toll charges from subsequent renters!
Attempted new signature...

jrbdmb
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by jrbdmb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:02 am

The Wizard wrote:
Carson wrote:As long as the line isn't brutal we go through the manual toll line if it is an option. That way we know we are in the clear.
As of last Halloween, our wonderful MassPike has no more toll booths, all electronic now.

As for registering plates, I have one EZPass account with two transponders, one for each of my vehicles, which are obviously registered on my account . If I was flying to somewhere else in EZPass territory and renting a car, then yes, I could take one of my transponders with me and then log into my account and register that rental car's plate.
But have to remember to Unregister it at the end of the trip to avoid toll charges from subsequent renters!
Curious, what does one do if they are on the MassPike and haven't yet been assimilated into EZPass? I live in NJ but don't use the NJ Turnpike and GSP enough to justify it.

The Wizard
Posts: 12363
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:21 am

jrbdmb wrote: Curious, what does one do if they are on the MassPike and haven't yet been assimilated into EZPass? I live in NJ but don't use the NJ Turnpike and GSP enough to justify it.
The Open Road Tolling cameras take pics of all vehicle's rear plates. Those without functioning transponders or EZPass accounts with that plate registered apparently get billed by mail at the address associated with the owner of that plate/vehicle.
Tolls for pay-by-plate are roughly double those for transponders, which are free in MA.

I have no idea how well the pay-by-plate scheme works, but I suspect scofflaws will find it difficult to renew their registration eventually...
Attempted new signature...

cpumechanic
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by cpumechanic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 am

Slightly off topic but I decided to share. When renting cars in FLA rental companies scam you with high fees to cover the toll by plate tolls present on many south FL highways. You have two options.. 1, buy a temp $5 pass at local store (publix) and place on dash, you must also create a login and enter the rental dates, and license plate to ensure tolls are paid.
Option 2, just enter the rental dates and plate ID online using the app (iphone or android) called Sunpass, and skip buying the $5 pass for dash.
I did this last Feb and was positive the dates and rental plates were entered correctly. Got the bill with fees from rental car company and went online and printed out the enrollment page clearly showing the rent car licence plate and dates the tolls were applied.

Apparently the system that looks up the licence plates just bills the first ID found in the state computer (rent car company in this case) and they in turn billed me. After I uploaded the Sunpass info to the rent car dispute website, they dropped the extra fees and billed my CC for the tolls only.

I also contacted the FL sunpass group and they were happy to help with the dispute, but were not needed since the rent car company retracted the excess fees when shown I was enrolled in the Sunpass system .

In future, I will purchase the $5 transponder at Publix and add that as well as the rent car license plate to sunpass account, and issue should not repeat.

Note that after you create and fund a sunpass account, you can update live and add a rent car, or personal car to the system to ensure tolls get paid as you drive, which is quite convenient .

So.. just be sure you get the app , fund it , add rent car plates and dates and you are good to go.. no need to pay high $5 up per day fees for rent car toll coverage when driving in FLA.

Hope this helps someone

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 36900
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:...I did NOT register the rental's tag number with EZPass if that seems relevant...
That's very likely relevant. They read license plate numbers electronically. (I can't balance all the privacy pros and cons but it is a minor convenience, in that basically nothing happens if they can't read the transponder). My son once moved an EZPass tag from his car to his wife's because he wasn't using it at all and she was paying tolls regularly, and got a fee and a nastygram because the plate number wasn't registered. They really care about the plate number.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:32 am

Be very leery of adding rental car license plate numbers to your E-ZPass account.

In theory that should ensure any transponder reading issues should result in the rental license plate number be sent to your E-ZPass account. However, the timing is very important. The matching of license plate numbers is often not in real time, especially if the E-ZPass account is held by a different agency than the toll facility. So it may take a day or too. If you've already returned the car and removed the rental license plate number from your account by the time the matching is attempted, you can be out of luck. If you leave the license plate number on your account for a day or two, you are liable to charges by subsequent renters of the car.

Florida's Sunpass toll system solves this by including a specific car rental license plate registration on your Sunpass account. No such luck for any of the E-ZPass issuers.

My personal solution is always pay cash tolls for rental cars, and attempt to avoid facilities (e.g. Mass Pike) that do not allow this option. If unavoidable, I would add the license plate number to my account, but watch my account vigorously until the tolls post in day or two. Some tolls (e.g. Virginia express lanes) can take a week to post.

Hopefully someday the transponders (and their reading issues, batteries dying, electronic waste) will disappear completely with E-ZPass, as other more modern agencies have already done.

See also: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1332556

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 pm

rob wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:I did NOT register the rental's tag number with EZPass if that seems relevant.
They will just tell you to register the tags :-/
EZ-Pass in MA requires your transponder to match the registered plates in your account.
If you had registered the tags - they would have compared the tag numbers to all accounts and credited you only for the one toll that didn't read and you likely wouldn't have had this problem. But I'm not sure you would want to do this for a rental car (since you could end up paying other people's tolls). When I rent a car - I normally use a transponder from the rental company.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Is your EZPass transponder an MA one? If so - what I stated above applies. If not - you should check the user's agreement for the state where you registered the transponder.
Here is what MA says about Rental Cars:
Before driving a rental car on Massachusetts toll roads, it is recommended that you ask the rental car company how they process tolls and fees. Many rental car companies offer ways to pay tolls and have them charged through your rental agreement.

If you are renting a vehicle and have an E-ZPass MA account, you may temporarily add the vehicle’s license plate number to your account. Log into your account to add the vehicle on a temporary basis with a start and end date for your rental period. Driving a rental vehicle on MassDOT toll roads without temporarily adding the license plate number to your account may result in tolls and additional service fees billed through the rental company.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 pm

DaftInvestor wrote: If you are renting a vehicle and have an E-ZPass MA account, you may temporarily add the vehicle’s license plate number to your account. Log into your account to add the vehicle on a temporary basis with a start and end date for your rental period. Driving a rental vehicle on MassDOT toll roads without temporarily adding the license plate number to your account may result in tolls and additional service fees billed through the rental company.
[/quote]

This implies that Mass Pike issued E-ZPass accounts have a place to enter rental plate numbers and rental periods, instead of entering it like a car you own long term. If true, then they are as good as Florida which allows the same. The E-ZPass IAG should require this feature for all E-ZPass issuing agencies.

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:24 am

I think a lot, if not all, of the EZ pass states have added the ability to add a rental car with a defined end date. I was thinking this might be because so many states are moving towards cashless toll roads.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:24 am
I think a lot, if not all, of the EZ pass states have added the ability to add a rental car with a defined end date. I was thinking this might be because so many states are moving towards cashless toll roads.
I don't know of any E-ZPass agency that allows the ability to add a rental car (or a defined end date). Certainly, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, P.A. of NY/NJ, New Jersey, DRJTBC, and Virginia do not. Sunpass in Florida DOES allow this, but it is not (currently) part of the E-ZPass network.

You can add the rental car license plate to your own E-ZPass account (IF it is not already registered to E-ZPass by the rental car company), but beware that a toll violation may not be matched to a plate for a week or more. So you would need to keep the rental license plate in your account for a long time after you return your car (and verify all the tolls are posted), and you could end up paying for other drivers' toll violations too in that car.

chambers136
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by chambers136 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:10 am

Are all EZ Pass websites linked? I think each of the states has their own EZ Pass website. If I enter a rental on the Mass website then travel and use EZ Pass in PA, will the PA EZPass system be able to look up the info I entered in the Mass website?

jehovasfitness
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:13 am

Same thing happened to us

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 am
Katietsu wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:24 am
I think a lot, if not all, of the EZ pass states have added the ability to add a rental car with a defined end date. I was thinking this might be because so many states are moving towards cashless toll roads.
I don't know of any E-ZPass agency that allows the ability to add a rental car (or a defined end date). Certainly, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, P.A. of NY/NJ, New Jersey, DRJTBC, and Virginia do not. Sunpass in Florida DOES allow this, but it is not (currently) part of the E-ZPass network.

You can add the rental car license plate to your own E-ZPass account (IF it is not already registered to E-ZPass by the rental car company), but beware that a toll violation may not be matched to a plate for a week or more. So you would need to keep the rental license plate in your account for a long time after you return your car (and verify all the tolls are posted), and you could end up paying for other drivers' toll violations too in that car.
I based my comment on two things. First, I have an EZPass from PA and it has has the ability to add a rental car for at least two years. You enter the vehicle information and you enter an end date. So, you do not actually delete the vehicle nor should you be responsible for a violation after your rental period. I would hope the information would be used to do a match during the time frame specified. Though maybe the technology is not yet that sophisticated. You do not need to be a PA resident or even use the EZPass in PA to get one if their units.

Second, there was an article I read a couple years ago which specifically talked about how each state was handling rental cars as they eliminated cash toll booths. Maybe there has been a delay in some of the states deploying their plans.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am
criticalmass wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 am
Katietsu wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:24 am
I think a lot, if not all, of the EZ pass states have added the ability to add a rental car with a defined end date. I was thinking this might be because so many states are moving towards cashless toll roads.
I don't know of any E-ZPass agency that allows the ability to add a rental car (or a defined end date). Certainly, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, P.A. of NY/NJ, New Jersey, DRJTBC, and Virginia do not. Sunpass in Florida DOES allow this, but it is not (currently) part of the E-ZPass network.

You can add the rental car license plate to your own E-ZPass account (IF it is not already registered to E-ZPass by the rental car company), but beware that a toll violation may not be matched to a plate for a week or more. So you would need to keep the rental license plate in your account for a long time after you return your car (and verify all the tolls are posted), and you could end up paying for other drivers' toll violations too in that car.
I based my comment on two things. First, I have an EZPass from PA and it has has the ability to add a rental car for at least two years. You enter the vehicle information and you enter an end date. So, you do not actually delete the vehicle nor should you be responsible for a violation after your rental period. I would hope the information would be used to do a match during the time frame specified. Though maybe the technology is not yet that sophisticated. You do not need to be a PA resident or even use the EZPass in PA to get one if their units.

Second, there was an article I read a couple years ago which specifically talked about how each state was handling rental cars as they eliminated cash toll booths. Maybe there has been a delay in some of the states deploying their plans.
That's good news about the Pennsylvania Turnpike E-Zpass accounts. I won't be getting an account from them though, because:
1.) They charge recurring fees for having an account.
2.) The PA turnpike (including toll roads managed by the PTC) offer the same 35% discounts regardless of who issued the transponder.

Hopefully other issuers will add this feature. (Many issuers use another servicing company). The New York service center (includes E-ZPass accounts issued by MTA, NY Thruway, Triborough bridge authority, and P.A. NY/NJ) offers this "helpful" advice:
E-ZPass NY Service Center wrote:Do not add rental car information to your E-ZPass account. However, you can use your E-ZPass Tag in any vehicle of the same class. Please ensure that your E-ZPass Tag is properly mounted as per installation instructions in all vehicles in which the Tag is used. A Tag that is not mounted properly may prevent the Tag from being read in the lane. If your Tag does not read, you will be subject to the terms of your car rental agreement that apply to E-ZPass usage, toll transactions and/or violation transactions. https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/rentalcars.shtml



In the meantime, if your E-ZPass isn't issued by Pennsylvania, use it in a rental car with caution and check your account for tolls posting properly, and your credit card for the rental car's partner cramming fees on your bill. (e.g. toll authority and Plate Plass).

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm

If you know your tag has not been read, some agencies have a process where you can send in your license number and the toll within a set time period, eg a week. No violation or bill is produced. Unfortunately, many toll readers are now in places where there is no visual indication that your EZPass has been read. If you have an online account and keep track of each toll reader you encounter, you might catch a miss in time.

techrules
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by techrules » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm

I have noticed that rental car companies register the tags to their account, which makes it unavailable for you to register the license plate to your account. EZPASS customer care is useless at this point, since they cannot unregister from the previous owner and the rental companies know that, so the only option is to pay their ridiculous fees or rent from someone with friendlier policies.

invst65
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by invst65 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 pm

How much does an EZPass cost and how hard is it to get one? Down here in Florida you can buy a Sunpass almost any where and a window sticker only costs $4.95. All you need is some internet access to set up an account, which I assume most people can do from a smart phone nowadays. So if you're ever in Florida and run into this problem, just go to a supermarket and buy a sticker (we don't actually have that many toll roads but manned toll booths are becoming more and more rare).
Last edited by invst65 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm

The cost for E-ZPass accounts varies widely, but you can get one for no cost except prepaying $25 of tolls.

You do not have to live in any particular area to sign up for any account, but some special discount plans are restricted to zip codes. Choose the state or agency that makes the most sense for you.

More information is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass#F ... s_by_state

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm
If you know your tag has not been read, some agencies have a process where you can send in your license number and the toll within a set time period, eg a week. No violation or bill is produced. Unfortunately, many toll readers are now in places where there is no visual indication that your EZPass has been read. If you have an online account and keep track of each toll reader you encounter, you might catch a miss in time.
Katietsu, that's true for your own car, but the issue in this thread is rental cars. This is complicated by the fact that plate number and toll matching can occur a week (or much longer in the case of Virginia). But it is risky to leave your rental car's plate number on your personal E-ZPass account after you return the car while waiting for matching to happen, because you might up paying for the next customers' tolls too. Fortunately PA appears to now accept a rental car information and dates for your account. With the proliferation of cashless tolling (no cash option) it would be nice if other issuers do the same. I'm not holding my breath.

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:48 pm

techrules wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm
I have noticed that rental car companies register the tags to their account, which makes it unavailable for you to register the license plate to your account. EZPASS customer care is useless at this point, since they cannot unregister from the previous owner and the rental companies know that, so the only option is to pay their ridiculous fees or rent from someone with friendlier policies.
This must be dependent on the company. I have not run into this problem even when the car has it own EZPass that I keep in the shielded case.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:49 pm

techrules wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm
I have noticed that rental car companies register the tags to their account, which makes it unavailable for you to register the license plate to your account. EZPASS customer care is useless at this point, since they cannot unregister from the previous owner and the rental companies know that, so the only option is to pay their ridiculous fees or rent from someone with friendlier policies.
You can still use your own transponder and hope for the best, but the safety net of the plate matching from your account is gone. Some have reported that when the tranponder wasn't read on their rental car, they have gotten the ridiculous rental company/partner fees like Platepass waived after proving they have an E-ZPass account.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:48 pm
techrules wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm
I have noticed that rental car companies register the tags to their account, which makes it unavailable for you to register the license plate to your account. EZPASS customer care is useless at this point, since they cannot unregister from the previous owner and the rental companies know that, so the only option is to pay their ridiculous fees or rent from someone with friendlier policies.
This must be dependent on the company. I have not run into this problem even when the car has it own EZPass that I keep in the shielded case.
Actually, it's dependent on rental car transponder's issuer and your own account issuer. If they are the same (e.g. your account is with New York and the rental car transponder is also issued by the New York service center, you can NOT add the plate to your account.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 pm

I guess EZ Pass is part of the HCOL states. We do not have that in Colorado. All this talk of problems with EZ Pass and rentals is not very good for a traveler. Seems even when it works, it doesn't all the time.
I guess it will be another chore in the planning for travel trip to these areas. Register the pass to the rental. Unless you don't have a pass, then you have to research the entire way to get all this done.
This was an enlightening thread. Tolls, tolls, tolls.

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:08 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm
If you know your tag has not been read, some agencies have a process where you can send in your license number and the toll within a set time period, eg a week. No violation or bill is produced. Unfortunately, many toll readers are now in places where there is no visual indication that your EZPass has been read. If you have an online account and keep track of each toll reader you encounter, you might catch a miss in time.
Katietsu, that's true for your own car, but the issue in this thread is rental cars. This is complicated by the fact that plate number and toll matching can occur a week (or much longer in the case of Virginia). But it is risky to leave your rental car's plate number on your personal E-ZPass account after you return the car while waiting for matching to happen, because you might up paying for the next customers' tolls too. Fortunately PA appears to now accept a rental car information and dates for your account. With the proliferation of cashless tolling (no cash option) it would be nice if other issuers do the same. I'm not holding my breath.
The unmanned toll booth on a road that I frequently travel has information about sending in your toll. You can do this because your EZPass does not read or because you have no EZPass at all and no money. The information states that you should send a check or money order for the toll with the license plate number and the location,date and time written on the check. As long as they receive it within 10 days, that will be the end if it. In the case of a rental car, the rental car agency or its agent would bever be notified. I have no idea how prevalent this option is. Honestly, I only ran into the information because I had to stop and use "the facilities." I suspect almost everyone passing through the toll reader has no idea this option is available.

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:10 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:48 pm
techrules wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm
I have noticed that rental car companies register the tags to their account, which makes it unavailable for you to register the license plate to your account. EZPASS customer care is useless at this point, since they cannot unregister from the previous owner and the rental companies know that, so the only option is to pay their ridiculous fees or rent from someone with friendlier policies.
This must be dependent on the company. I have not run into this problem even when the car has it own EZPass that I keep in the shielded case.
Actually, it's dependent on rental car transponder's issuer and your own account issuer. If they are the same (e.g. your account is with New York and the rental car transponder is also issued by the New York service center, you can NOT add the plate to your account.
That makes sense. That could be quite frustrating.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18778
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by dm200 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Never used EZ pass in a rental, but we have one issued in Virginia. We used to travel 2-3 times a year from Wash DC area to New England and misc other places. Now, we only use it occasionally and make sure to log a charge every 6 months because when we do travel to/from NY, NJ or New England it is so much better. Our Virginia issued one works all over Northeast.

invst65
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by invst65 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 pm
I guess EZ Pass is part of the HCOL states. We do not have that in Colorado. All this talk of problems with EZ Pass and rentals is not very good for a traveler. Seems even when it works, it doesn't all the time.
I guess it will be another chore in the planning for travel trip to these areas. Register the pass to the rental. Unless you don't have a pass, then you have to research the entire way to get all this done.
This was an enlightening thread. Tolls, tolls, tolls.
The last time I flew into Boston for a drive up to Maine I paid for the EZ Pass at the rental counter because they had signs warning that there were a lot of unmanned toll booths. As it turned out when I got to those unmanned toll booths the EZ Pass didn't work any way. From that point on I always got into the manned toll booth lanes when they were present, the very thing I was trying to avoid, based on past experience. If they were unmanned I just drove on through and hoped for the best.

I think I ended up with a couple of toll charges on my final bill but I didn't try to dispute it because it was only a few dollars and not worth the aggravation of trying to straighten it out on the phone.

criticalmass
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: EZPass not read, rental car, high fee

Post by criticalmass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 pm
I guess EZ Pass is part of the HCOL states. We do not have that in Colorado. All this talk of problems with EZ Pass and rentals is not very good for a traveler. Seems even when it works, it doesn't all the time.
I guess it will be another chore in the planning for travel trip to these areas. Register the pass to the rental. Unless you don't have a pass, then you have to research the entire way to get all this done.
This was an enlightening thread. Tolls, tolls, tolls.
Not sure what E-ZPass has to do with high cost of living states. It is just an electronic tolling brand, like Colorado's ExpressToll, except that it is inter-operable between various toll facilities. Until fairly recently, it was the only electronic tolling system that went across state lines. (E.g. Oklahoma has Pikepass, Kansas has something else, California has FasTrak, etc.).

Lots of states have electronic tolling, like Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, COLORADO, West Virginia, Maine, New Hampshire, etc. I'm not sure how you can call West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and New Hampshire to be "high cost of living" states, but they have E-ZPass.

Post Reply