Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Tamales
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Tamales » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Besides, it's become very slow, too many clicks to do anything, and image size is now 1024 max.

Any better alternatives?
I suppose the time has come that I'm going to have to pay for an ad-free image hosting service.
I can't see paying much over a couple bucks a month though.
I don't think I've ever even approached a GB of stored images and that seems to be the bottom end account.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 3790
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 pm

I have been using Tinypic since Google started forcing everything to their photo site instead of allowing embedded images.

Tamales
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Tamales » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Kenkat wrote:I have been using Tinypic since Google started forcing everything to their photo site instead of allowing embedded images.
Does the name imply something about their maximum image size allowed?

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Why limit yourself to sites specifically for pictures? Dropbox is free up to 2GB, Google Drive free up to 15 GB, One Drive up to 5 GB, iCloud up to 5 GB, etc. The list is almost limitless and you can store any file versus just pictures on them. They also don't have popups to my knowledge.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 3790
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm

lthenderson wrote:Why limit yourself to sites specifically for pictures? Dropbox is free up to 2GB, Google Drive free up to 15 GB, One Drive up to 5 GB, iCloud up to 5 GB, etc. The list is almost limitless and you can store any file versus just pictures on them. They also don't have popups to my knowledge.
The problem with those sites is that they won't give you a URL that can be embedded in another site. I also use Google photos but you can only provide a link which takes you to the Google site.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 3790
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Tamales wrote:
Kenkat wrote:I have been using Tinypic since Google started forcing everything to their photo site instead of allowing embedded images.
Does the name imply something about their maximum image size allowed?
I am not sure what you mean by 1024. 1024k? I keep the full res pictures on Google Photos; I only load photos to tinypic to show on the web where I haven't run into issues with image quality due to size.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Kenkat wrote:
lthenderson wrote:Why limit yourself to sites specifically for pictures? Dropbox is free up to 2GB, Google Drive free up to 15 GB, One Drive up to 5 GB, iCloud up to 5 GB, etc. The list is almost limitless and you can store any file versus just pictures on them. They also don't have popups to my knowledge.
The problem with those sites is that they won't give you a URL that can be embedded in another site. I also use Google photos but you can only provide a link which takes you to the Google site.
I hadn't considered that. If that is the case, one could use Google Blogger platform to create a blog that you can post pictures and thus embed the url onto another site. It would still be free and have no popups but would be more difficult (i.e. more steps initially) than just dealing with the popups on Photobucket for the occasional embedded photo link.

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Geneyus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:48 am

I like postimage. They'll give you a few options for linking to the picture after you upload it, but I've had success using the "direct link" every time.

https://postimage.io

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Photobucket has just disabled 3rd party linking to images on its site via URLs (or one can pay $399 a year to keep the links). I'm searching for a suitable alternative for the dozens of images/graphs I've posted here. No luck so far with Google Drive. They provide a link but it doesn't work here as its "size cannot be determined."

I tested linking a file located in Google Photos. I clicked on the photo to open it full screen, right clicked, selected "Copy Image Location" and put that in [ img][ /img] (without space). This worked. I also note I have been using tinypic.com for photo linking in one of my threads, so that's an alternative but I note it's also a Photobucket website and images "may be removed" after 90 days if no one has viewed them.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 am

I think people are now flocking to imgur:
http://imgur.com/

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 3436
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by siamond » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 pm

sunny_socal wrote:I think people are now flocking to imgur:
http://imgur.com/
I am one of them... works great.

brokendirtdart
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: Slappy & Pappy's eating a burger outside the box

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by brokendirtdart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 pm

I ended up on Flickr after the recent photobucket debacle. Since I already had a yahoo account, moving to Flickr was easy. While I am still learning the various privacy settings and options for hosting on a forum, I am happy with it so far.

I ended up downloading all my photos and deleting my photobucket account after > 10 years of occasional photo posting/hosting. I had less than 400 pictures on it and maybe 1/3 were posted on a forum somewhere.

fishboat
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by fishboat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am

BigFoot48 wrote:Photobucket has just disabled 3rd party linking to images on its site via URLs (or one can pay $399 a year to keep the links).
They haven't blocked everyone as my (reasonably limited these days) links to photos are working fine, but, from what I understand, their intent is to hit folks like me eventually. I've backed up everything I have on their site. When/if they cut me off I'll delete everything and move on. I've already started reducing what I have stored there. I've been using the site for a decade+.

Who knows..they may reverse their decision as they are getting extensive customer blow-back from this action so far. A lot of commercially-oriented users (amazon and ebay sellers) base their photos on photobucket..the blocking has gotten their attention. I'm sure PB's server farm just grinds away..pricey infrastructure to maintain. Arguably, commercial users maybe should pay a fee, but it looks like the blocking has been indiscriminate with respect to who uses their service.

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by BigFoot48 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I saw Postimage (postimg.org) recommended on another forum so I checked it out and it looks like a good alternative to Photobucket and hopefully will be forever free.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Photobucket is out of control with popups. Alternatives?

Post by Geneyus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:51 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:I saw Postimage (postimg.org) recommended on another forum so I checked it out and it looks like a good alternative to Photobucket and hopefully will be forever free.
If by "another forum" you meant my post a few above yours... :sharebeer

Postimage is quick and easy, and there's no "Captcha", which makes it faster than most.

Post Reply