Cricket Wireless Groups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bennettg

Cricket Wireless Groups

Post by bennettg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm trying to minimize my monthly expenses to redirect what I can to retirement savings. One thought was to try to join a cricket wireless group plan via reddit....there is a dedicated thread to linking folks together....with a full group you get 4GB of data and unlimited calls/texts for $20/month including taxes! That is a great price.

Are there people on this forum that have used reddit to find groups to help save money? Is it worth the risk of becoming associated with someone you don't know....who could be engaged in risky behaviors (drug dealing, default on loans, etc). I dont want to risk my nestegg or credit rating.

Thanks.

bloom2708

Re: Cricket Wireless Groups

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm not sure how the groups work with Cricket (or other deals).

The Cricket offer works like this:

First line $40
Second line $30
Third line $20
Fourth line $10
Fifth line $0

Total = $100 which averages to $20/line.

You can only have 1 payment method on your Cricket account. So the "lead" would have to pay and hope that the others paid him/her through paypal or something? Seems iffy to save $7-$10/month.

We have 5 lines on Cricket. We have a 6th line (mine) that uses H2O Wireless (Unlimited/Unlimited/3GB for $27/month including taxes). It also uses the AT&T towers.

One line on Cricket with Auto-Pay is $35/month (basic plan) or $30 for the 1GB plan (no auto pay discount).

Do you have any family members you can "team up" with who you trust more? My parents phone is one our 5 phone plan. It was much easier for me to add them and get them setup.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:53 pm

bloom2708 wrote:I'm not sure how the groups work with Cricket (or other deals).

The Cricket offer works like this:

First line $40
Second line $30
Third line $20
Fourth line $10
Fifth line $0

Total = $100 which averages to $20/line.

You can only have 1 payment method on your Cricket account. So the "lead" would have to pay and hope that the others paid him/her through paypal or something? Seems iffy to save $7-$10/month.

We have 5 lines on Cricket. We have a 6th line (mine) that uses H2O Wireless (Unlimited/Unlimited/3GB for $27/month including taxes). It also uses the AT&T towers.

One line on Cricket with Auto-Pay is $35/month (basic plan) or $30 for the 1GB plan (no auto pay discount).

Do you have any family members you can "team up" with who you trust more? My parents phone is one our 5 phone plan. It was much easier for me to add them and get them setup.
Regretfully, I do not have any friends or family that I could approach for this, but I appreciate your response. Maybe others can share their thoughts/opinions on the risk/benefit of using reddit to join a cricket group.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:57 pm

bennettg wrote:Regretfully, I do not have any friends or family that I could approach for this, but I appreciate your response. Maybe others can share their thoughts/opinions on the risk/benefit of using reddit to join a cricket group.
All the lines are under the same account. I assume the group would all share the username and password.

Things you can do from within the account: Upgrade the phone, change plans, cancel a line, change payment method.

I can't see how having 5 strangers joined together in a group would want the other 4 to have that type of control. But then, people will do quite a bit to save $7/month.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Like bloom, I would draw the line around complicating my life to safe that last few dollars. The understanding is correct, the "lead" or primary line on the group would be fully responsible for the charges and managing the account. They would bear the risk that the people in the group do not pay up, etc. The lead can't manage this on a line-by-line basis (absent dropping the line altogether). Not that I would this, I would NOT let others in at $20/pop and take on the risk to myself, but instead charge more (maybe split the $100 between the 4 others @ $25). At that point, if I was on the other end of this, I wouldn't bother -- especially given that sometimes you can get promos to make the Cricket service even cheaper (I just bought Cricket refill cards from Best Buy @ 20% off -- though got double-taxed on this making my savings less than 20%).

I have my family members as additional users in my Cricket group, but I wouldn't put stranger on there.

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 pm

If tmobile service is okay for you then consider mintsim. Prepay 12 months at a time and it costs $199 a year ($16.58 a month). Unlimited talk/text and 2gb. You can get 20% off the first year with code SHOPCLEVER
They have a 3 month promo right now if you want to try it out first. After the promo you can pick any of their plans including the year for $199. Right now people renewing are seeing the 1 year plan at 20% off too.

A lot of people seem to make the cricket group work. Personally I am not into it. I don't think there is much risk involved other than hassle if things need changing. What if one of the group drops out? The other 4 pay extra until you find someone else. What if cricket crack down on this scheme - then you have to change providers but may not be the one in control of the account. What if the head person wants to have their cousin in their group and decides you are out?! I don't think there is any incentive to cheat anyone else in the group - you all want the same thing which is basically to save money. Still not for me.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 pm

No! Are you seriously going to give up any privacy to save a few bucks? What happens when the payment isn't made and your phone is turned off?

One thing with Cricket (which I use), is that you lose the autopay discount with multiple lines.

Going with Cricket you're going to save big over the major other cell providers. Just do that. There are other very cheap providers I would explore before "sharing" a plan like Mint Sim, Freedom Pop, Republic, etc. I haven't used any of those and I am not advocating them, but I would explore those before sharing my cell account with strangers.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to port to cricket but will not join a group via reddit strangers.

If anyone wants to send a referral code, I'm happy to use that when I port.

cal91

Post by cal91 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am

My wife and I joined 2 months ago via the reddit groups. If I had any friends/family that were willing to join I'd just do a group with them, but everyone likes to give their money away to Verizon and AT&T too much :)

So far it's been smooth sailing. Just VenMo the line owner $40 each month. (We would be paying $70 a month for the two of us.) The downside is I don't have access to my account. But I really don't need to anyways. The trade off is worth it to me in this phase of our life (just graduated college, income only 75k). If I was making 2x as much money then I'd rethink it.

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:03 am

bennettg wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to port to cricket but will not join a group via reddit strangers.

If anyone wants to send a referral code, I'm happy to use that when I port.
I PM'd you.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am

I run a group over there and its fine. I Don't share the username/password or PIN number, everyone paypals me $20 per month (or higher depending on their plan). I claim all the referrals in exchange for managing the group. Plus I am able to stock up on the sales at target/best buy for refill cards and cut my line cost further. Never had a problem in a couple years.

I would give you a referral but got a stern warning from a mod here not to do that on this site. Looks like you already got one anyways.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:23 am

I have one spot open in my group if anyone wants in. $20/mo

OP, PM me if you want to join my group. It's just my wife and my parents right now.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am

BW1985 wrote:I have one spot open in my group if anyone wants in. $20/mo
I'll go in with someone from Bogleheads. I will PM you now.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 am

mikep wrote:I run a group over there and its fine. I Don't share the username/password or PIN number, everyone paypals me $20 per month (or higher depending on their plan). I claim all the referrals in exchange for managing the group. Plus I am able to stock up on the sales at target/best buy for refill cards and cut my line cost further. Never had a problem in a couple years.

I would give you a referral but got a stern warning from a mod here not to do that on this site. Looks like you already got one anyways.
It looks like the referral program is no longer active anyways.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am

BW1985 wrote: I would give you a referral but got a stern warning from a mod here not to do that on this site. Looks like you already got one anyways.
It looks like the referral program is no longer active anyways.[/quote]

I believe the referral program is still active. There was a recent change to make it part of Cricket Rewards app.

Here's a link to cricket's referral page: https://refer.cricketwireless.com/public/home.pg
cricket wrote:Refer a Friend is now part of Cricket Rewards.
You can still get a $25 credit for every successful referral you make, up to $250 in credits a year. Download the Cricket Rewards app today to start referring.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am

BW1985 wrote:
mikep wrote:I run a group over there and its fine. I Don't share the username/password or PIN number, everyone paypals me $20 per month (or higher depending on their plan). I claim all the referrals in exchange for managing the group. Plus I am able to stock up on the sales at target/best buy for refill cards and cut my line cost further. Never had a problem in a couple years.

Are you still open to having me join your group? If the posts on this forums aren't sufficient to document trustworthiness, I can share my ebay feedback with you.

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm

bennettg wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

Are you still open to having me join your group? If the posts on this forums aren't sufficient to document trustworthiness, I can share my ebay feedback with you.
MikeP: my message was to BW1985. Apologies.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

bennettg wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

Yeah, let's do it.

Please see my PM for my referral code.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

DSInvestor wrote: You can still get a $25 credit for every successful referral you make, up to $250 in credits a year. Download the Cricket Rewards app today to start referring.
Thanks. Didn't realize it had changed.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:32 pm

BW1985 wrote:
bennettg wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

Yeah, let's do it.

Please see my PM for my referral code.
They will disallow the referral if you are on the same group I believe.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 am

I'm not sure if this would apply to the cricket group but what if one of the users did international roaming or something else that charged a huge bill to the account. Another risk I would worry about is one of the users in the group doing something illegal with their phone service...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Can people have different plans within the same group? If so how does the pricing work? I just assumed it would be the 5 lines for $100 ($20/each) but if someone has the unlimited plan I'm guessing it won't be.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 pm

BW1985 wrote:Can people have different plans within the same group? If so how does the pricing work? I just assumed it would be the 5 lines for $100 ($20/each) but if someone has the unlimited plan I'm guessing it won't be.
Yes, each line can have a different plan. The only real thing is the discount gets bigger per line. So if you were on the 4GB plan for one line and decide to go to 10 GB instead, I imagine the group admin just charges the extra raw $10 ($20?, I've lost track how many tiers up that is) to that one person.

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm

My understanding from the cricket website is that the total discount on 5 lines is $100 or $20 per line. So someone on the $40 plan should pay $20 while someone on the unlimited plan, which is $60, would pay $40.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/content ... iline.html

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:10 pm

bennettg wrote:My understanding from the cricket website is that the total discount on 5 lines is $100 or $20 per line. So someone on the $40 plan should pay $20 while someone on the unlimited plan, which is $60, would pay $40.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/content ... iline.html
Thank you. You worded it much better than me. Yes, rather than think of it as paying $20/line, think of it as $20/line off from whatever plan you choose (in a group of 5).

Topic Author
bennettg

Post by bennettg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Do you have any room in your group? Looking for long term.

If not, do any other bogleheads?

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 am

bennettg wrote:I'm trying to minimize my monthly expenses to redirect what I can to retirement savings. One thought was to try to join a cricket wireless group plan via reddit....there is a dedicated thread to linking folks together....with a full group you get 4GB of data and unlimited calls/texts for $20/month including taxes! That is a great price.

Are there people on this forum that have used reddit to find groups to help save money? Is it worth the risk of becoming associated with someone you don't know....who could be engaged in risky behaviors (drug dealing, default on loans, etc). I dont want to risk my nestegg or credit rating.

Thanks.

I am in a group of five people and we are on the five lines for $100. Note that you cannot add additional people for $20 more or we would have about eight people.

I am ONLY going to have family members in our group and some family members have been excluded because i don't want the hassles of chasing them down for weeks. Everyone in my groups pays for three months in advance.

Our understanding is that if you need additional services, you pay the xtra amount. About once a year, I turn on the Canada/Mexico option for a month. One of the members will send me a text asking what is going on but I take care of it. People pay for their own phones.

You MUST make sure that anyone joining the group has access to AT&T coverage if you are with Cricket. We were not able to use T-Mobile or related brands as we don't have coverage. None of the people in our group had any good access to Sprint coverage.

There is no way that I would ever open up the group to strangers.

mikep

Post by mikep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am

bennettg wrote:

Do you have any room in your group? Looking for long term.

If not, do any other bogleheads?
Sorry I don't have any more room. You might want to check out www.reddit.com/r/cricketgroups

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:You MUST make sure that anyone joining the group has access to AT&T coverage if you are with Cricket. We were not able to use T-Mobile or related brands as we don't have coverage. None of the people in our group had any good access to Sprint coverage.
Isn't AT&T coverage ubiquitous? Right now I am using Virgin Mobile over the Sprint network and the reception in my home is horrible. I am thinking of getting a Consumer Cellular service in order to use the AT&T network.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:40 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:You MUST make sure that anyone joining the group has access to AT&T coverage if you are with Cricket. We were not able to use T-Mobile or related brands as we don't have coverage. None of the people in our group had any good access to Sprint coverage.
Isn't AT&T coverage ubiquitous? Right now I am using Virgin Mobile over the Sprint network and the reception in my home is horrible. I am thinking of getting a Consumer Cellular service in order to use the AT&T network.

Victoria
I would say near-ubiquitous. There are a couple areas that still do not have reliable AT&T service around me. However, we no longer experience AT&T gaps heading down to Atlanta like we did 5+ years ago. I've also gone to a few places that have AT&T service, but not Verizon (again, a couple years ago though). However, for the cost savings, it's sometimes worth it to accept that in some areas, you just lose service but 90%+ of the time, you will get good service for a fraction of the cost as AT&T and Verizon native (which include roaming on other partners vs. most prepaid service doesn't include roaming except for a few areas).

wander

Post by wander » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Currently, Cricket Wireless is offering plan with unlimited voice/text/data for 2 lines for $80 (tax included) a month. I think it is a good deal. Data speed is about 3Mbps but fast enough to watch video.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 am

Too risky being on a plan with people you don't know. Look at Mint Sim. I moved from Cricket to them. Cheap.