Pimp my DW's ride.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lilvixen

Re: Pimp my DW's ride.

Post by lilvixen »

I researched wraps and ceramic coatings for my new black Murano; I found most information on the Tesla sites, actually. The Murano has thin or soft paint, and mine came with a lot of scratches from the dealership, which, long story short, I opted to pay to fix myself in lieu of accessories. Anyway, I ended up getting a Ceramic Pro coating, as that was offered by my preferred detailer. It made the Murano super glossy, so if you're looking for a matte finish, I don't think a ceramic coating is the right choice, or at least not the stuff from Ceramic Pro, but it sure looks great and cleans easily.

If I recall correctly, the wraps are more expensive and have a shorter life, so that's something to keep in mind. But I believe a wrap is removable without damaging the paint, whereas a ceramic coating is permanent. Google and/or hit up the Tesla forums for wrap recommendations and/or ceramic vs wrap threads; I found at least a handful six months ago when I was poking around for how to keep the Murano as pristine as I could for it being a daily driver.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

TomatoTomahto wrote: I see your point, but A) I consider my Tesla practical, for me
B) we never considered a Maybach (other than liking how it looked)
and C) money is a concern, albeit not a foremost concern
Respectfully, you're kinda all over the map here. You're cross-shopping off-road capability vs. insane straight-line acceleration vs. massive limo-like interior vs. who-knows-what-else, and the only real metric is (maybe) how cool it is...? To whom? Who are your peers? They may only recognize a powder-blue Lexus. Or is this a parody account :happy ? And your wife does not seem like much of a driver -- that is if she's partial to Range Rover out of habit alone. Maybe splurge on something else. I think a housewife (or -husband) in $100K-plus grocery-getter is kinda sad. She'll get a lot of head shaking and "what a waste" mutters -- but at least she won't see them. The worst offenders seem to be Mercedes buyers so that might be your benchmark -- I don't think I've ever seen a 500, 550, or even an AMG driven at or over the speed limit. Maybe you could get her a cool team of gorgeous sled dogs for your tiny Manhattan co-op :D.

High-performance cars take some work -- adjustable suspension, steering feel, etc. Panamera Turbo cockpit just made me dizzy -- dozens of identical silver toggles everywhere. What other forums refer to as the WAF ("wife-acceptance factor," with apologies to the many female contributors on this site) would seem to be very low for many of the vehicles mentioned on this thread. Your wife probably wants to get in and just go. I'm a car guy (ish), and I'm looking for the same thing. She's not gonna track it, and she's not gonna master the "launch control" sequence, I'm guessing. And she'll probably never even put it into "sport mode."

As at least one poster pointed out, wraps can be pretty juvenile. Plus, they don't hold up. I shopped a performance car with a wrap and it looked cool in the photos. In person, it was already peeling at the sharp angles, etc., and it's $hundreds to remove. Dealer eventually took it off and re-listed the car. That said, I agree that RR in your photo looks pretty cool.

I think if you're going to spend money for insane capability, at least expect to use that capability (and be capable of using it safely). Otherwise, it's just the automotive equivalent of "how big a diamond should I get for my wife?"
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@daveydoo, there's a lot to unpack in your post, and I came up with some pretty snarky replies, but this is a friendly forum, and I'll just swallow those replies. I will just say that you seem to have replied to me with concerns that more accurately belong to other respondents; I'm just looking for a car, probably RR, that will make my wife happy, with a special interest in wraps and ceramic coating. No launch control required.
As at least one poster pointed out, wraps can be pretty juvenile. Plus, they don't hold up. I shopped a performance car with a wrap and it looked cool in the photos. In person, it was already peeling at the sharp angles, etc., and it's $hundreds to remove. Dealer eventually took it off and re-listed the car. That said, I agree that RR in your photo looks pretty cool.Do you happen to know what kind of wrap was peeling? Was it Xpel? From what I gather on the Tesla sites, Xpel (not precut, but custom fitted) seems to hold up well. I agree with you; imo, a matte wrap on a large car does look cool.

I think if you're going to spend money for insane capability, at least expect to use that capability (and be capable of using it safely). Otherwise, it's just the automotive equivalent of "how big a diamond should I get for my wife?"To be clear, I'm not spending money for insane capability; my wife is spending money on what makes her smile. If that comes with a lot of horsepower, so be it.
So, how should I wrap my wife's diamond? :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

I looked into wrapping my car to change the color. I found the following video most helpful in understanding what it takes to get a quality wrap. I realized that my car is way too old and has too many imperfections for a wrap, and that I should just be happy with its current color. It's incredible what lengths they go to to wash the car prior to wrapping, and how much work is involved.

Youtube: Wrapping My Porsche 991 GT3 Blue by Signature Group:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0zSpziB3Q
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

virgingorda wrote:I looked into wrapping my car to change the color. I found the following video most helpful in understanding what it takes to get a quality wrap. I realized that my car is way too old and has too many imperfections for a wrap, and that I should just be happy with its current color. It's incredible what lengths they go to to wash the car prior to wrapping, and how much work is involved.

Youtube: Wrapping My Porsche 991 GT3 Blue by Signature Group:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0zSpziB3Q
Thank you. That was extremely informative, and I can see why you'd hesitate to wrap a "used" car. It almost makes wrapping seem inexpensive when you factor the materials and especially labor. The narrator seems in love with the final result.

I don't know why I didn't think of YouTube, but I found this matte RR there https://youtu.be/9gCKQpfCGek. The video isn't as informative as yours, but still interesting.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I don't know why I didn't think of YouTube, but I found this matte RR there https://youtu.be/9gCKQpfCGek. The video isn't as informative as yours, but still interesting.
It's a Sport and not a FFRR, but this one looks awesome in Satin Chrome Blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQM-wG3Ufw

I would have done the center section of the rear bumper, and left only the top and bottom reliefs bare--a little too much concentrated black back there. But otherwise, it looks great.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I loved the flat crystal white chevy was toying with around 2010. I don't think they ever came out with it. They showed us the murdered black at the sAme show....guess black won out!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

daveydoo wrote: I think if you're going to spend money for insane capability, at least expect to use that capability (and be capable of using it safely). Otherwise, it's just the automotive equivalent of "how big a diamond should I get for my wife?"
While generally I am all on the snarky train with you, Tomatoe and his wife are very well into the category of having enough resources to do whatever the heck they want. If she wants a cool vehicle, just to have a cool vehicle, she absolutely earns it.

I am with you on the wraps, it seems ways out of the realm of a middle-age female c-level exec (it's more professional athlete, rapper, 25yr old tech sales - people begging for attention), but I do like the matte look.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote:
daveydoo wrote: I think if you're going to spend money for insane capability, at least expect to use that capability (and be capable of using it safely). Otherwise, it's just the automotive equivalent of "how big a diamond should I get for my wife?"
While generally I am all on the snarky train with you, Tomatoe and his wife are very well into the category of having enough resources to do whatever the heck they want. If she wants a cool vehicle, just to have a cool vehicle, she absolutely earns it.

I am with you on the wraps, it seems ways out of the realm of a middle-age female c-level exec (it's more professional athlete, rapper, 25yr old tech sales - people begging for attention), but I do like the matte look.
Thank you. That's why I prefaced my post with the caveat that our future is secure, our charities are looked after, our kids are fine, etc.

We might need to do a deep tint of the front windows (if that's legal) in order to hide the fact that it's not a professional hockey player driving :D .

Our town is full of bald guys driving convertibles that scream "mid life crisis." My wife thanks you for calling her middle aged, since she's a few years past that :beer Perhaps I'm deluding myself, because to me my wife is always the young woman I fell in love with, but why shouldn't someone "who knows better" allow themselves a car that looks like they prefer? There's a part of me that thinks, "xxxx em if they can't take a joke."
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Have no BHs wrapped a car, matte or otherwise?
:D :D Are you surprised by this? Go to the auto detailing shop and look at the average clientele wrapping their cars. It's a different demographic than Bogleheads. Full disclosure, I've been to such a shop and paid more money than I'd like to disclose to buy a ceramic coating for my new car so the paint looks glossy year-round. So I'm totally on board with you wrapping the Range Rover, but I'm not surprised that there aren't a lot of Bogleheads who have done it! FWIW, I like the matte look -- take photos and share!

Another option I have seen, people "painting" the entire exterior in Line-X (usually used for truck bedliners-- comes in multiple color options now, not just black). That would give you a matte finish and be virtually indestructible. I've seen it a lot on jeeps and a few pick-ups. Google and you can find photos and see if you like it.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

WL2034 wrote:
:D :D Are you surprised by this? Go to the auto detailing shop and look at the average clientele wrapping their cars.
I had never heard of wrapping, but it's apparently a big deal with Tesla owners. It can't hurt to ask; who knew that so many BHs loved oatmeal? Or flew business and first class?
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
WL2034 wrote:
:D :D Are you surprised by this? Go to the auto detailing shop and look at the average clientele wrapping their cars.
I had never heard of wrapping, but it's apparently a big deal with Tesla owners. It can't hurt to ask; who knew that so many BHs loved oatmeal? Or flew business and first class?
I personally think you should Line-x the Range Rover. She will be turning heads everywhere. Matte finish and never have to repair/replace it. I think you would need a chainsaw to key the paintjob. A downside might be that I'm not sure how you would remove it in the future, not good for resale value maybe--well, depending on who the buyer is?

Last edited by WL2034 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

People who really appreciate and know how to effectively use all the features in a high performance car (or bicycle, or camera, or guitar, or golf club, or gas stove, or Michelin rated restaurant meal) should thank their lucky stars that there are a whole big bunch of people who only use a small percentage of the capability, but are willing to pay for the upgrade. Because if only the super-users were willing to buy, either the price would go through the roof, or the supply would dry up completely.

Spend 'em if you've got 'em.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I am with you about having a car you like. Around my neighborhood there are tons of fancy cars. None of them can be driven anywhere near their capabilities in this suburban area. It is common to see a pro ball player or his pretty wife in a fancy MB or some other exotic. It is also common to see older lady or guy driving a nice car. But the most striking car I see regularly is a Tesla Model X with matte gray paint and black wheels. It looks like a ghetto car. It is driven by a small nicely dressed Asian woman. I also see a similar lady driving a Model S 100 with a red paint job. And of course I see that satin tan Bentley SUV in the grocery store parking lot. So get your wife a car she likes.

Have fun and Good Luck.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

WL2034 wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
WL2034 wrote:
I personally think you should Line-x the Range Rover. She will be turning heads everywhere. Matte finish and never have to repair/replace it. I think you would need a chainsaw to key the paintjob. A downside might be that I'm not sure how you would remove it in the future, not good for resale value maybe--well, depending on who the buyer is?
Who knew? It's been done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8VVkYueNNA
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Deleted -- you already found the YouTube video! Do it! :mrgreen:
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

WL2034 wrote:I personally think you should Line-x the Range Rover. She will be turning heads everywhere. Matte finish and never have to repair/replace it. I think you would need a chainsaw to key the paintjob. A downside might be that I'm not sure how you would remove it in the future, not good for resale value maybe--well, depending on who the buyer is?
It can not be removed period, and you wouldn't want to even if you could. Step 1 in the liner application is to hit the paint with a disc sander to give the material a rough surface to stick to. So the paint is utterly destroyed prior to application.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lazydavid wrote:
WL2034 wrote:I personally think you should Line-x the Range Rover. She will be turning heads everywhere. Matte finish and never have to repair/replace it. I think you would need a chainsaw to key the paintjob. A downside might be that I'm not sure how you would remove it in the future, not good for resale value maybe--well, depending on who the buyer is?
It can not be removed period, and you wouldn't want to even if you could. Step 1 in the liner application is to hit the paint with a disc sander to give the material a rough surface to stick to. So the paint is utterly destroyed prior to application.
Yeah, I think Line-X might be a bridge too far. I enjoyed the video of a woman shooting a Line-X car door with various weapons though :sharebeer
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Wonder if any OEMs are considering Line-X as factory installed option?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Tomato. The more difficult question regarding matte car finishes and the "ghetto look" (my word) is how your HOA will perceive this "style"? I know my HOA people would go nuts if I parked a car like that in my driveway. They are fierce about advertising signs on cars and other vehicle issues. They are just not allowed and the CC&R rules spell out lots of limits. They send out letters regularly to make people remove signs on cars or remove old cars that need work and so forth. Then there is the issue of how her friends and power broker acquaintances view a car design like that? Will they see it as ghetto and put her and your family and kids in a poor situation?

Just thinking. Good Luck.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

btenny wrote:Tomato. The more difficult question regarding matte car finishes and the "ghetto look" (my word) is how your HOA will perceive this "style"? I know my HOA people would go nuts if I parked a car like that in my driveway. They are fierce about advertising signs on cars and other vehicle issues. They are just not allowed and the CC&R rules spell out lots of limits. They send out letters regularly to make people remove signs on cars or remove old cars that need work and so forth. Then there is the issue of how her friends and power broker acquaintances view a car design like that? Will they see it as ghetto and put her and your family and kids in a poor situation?

Just thinking. Good Luck.
Wow. I don't have a HOA. I guess if they'd be bothered by a matte finish on a car, I will make sure never to have a HOA.

If you're thinking about a wrap as in advertising a Pizza Parlor, that's not what we're talking about. You can like or dislike the Range Rover photo I posted (and apparently there are people on BH who are pro and con the look), but there isn't any advertising beyond the normal "badges" that cars have. One could argue that a matte finish is less flashy than the more common shiny look that cars usually have.

I have a hard time understanding what, in this context, you think might be "ghetto" (your choice of words), but I think I'm on solid ground in knowing that she and our family won't have anything to worry about from our friends.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

btenny wrote:Tomato. The more difficult question regarding matte car finishes and the "ghetto look" (my word) is how your HOA will perceive this "style"?
This has the preconception (confirmed to be inaccurate) that Tomato has an HOA. And I suspect not having an HOA is more the norm, at least outside of major cities. I know I've never had one, and never intend to. I've actively avoided homes that have them when shopping. And this (along with the typically unjustifiable expense) is exactly why.
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

First, your wife has good taste by shunning the Model X - one of the ugliest minivans on the road by a long way!

Second, big difference between a Vinyl Wrap and Paint Protection Film. A wrap is decorative and adds a little bit of paint protection - PPF adds a ton and makes the car easier to maintain. I have all of my sports cars with PPF + cermaic coatings. My race car had a wrap as it is white from the factory - it only took a few hours for the wrap to start to look worse than well kept paint.

In either case, the installer matters the most vs the product. Don't get a dealer to do it and you might need to make a few visits in the future to get it maintained.

Regarding the car she is looking for - what is most important? Comfort, straight line speed, handling, standing out/blending in etc? I'm using a 570s as my Daily at the moment and as much as I love the car I hate that everyone wants to talk to me about it...

There are many great car options now (none of which are SUVs imo). I know you didn't like a Porsche, but the Macan Turbo might be perfect based on what you've described. I've owned 2 and don't love them, but they are the only car that really ticks all the boxes you've listed so far. If handling is a higher priority while maintaining some usability check out a M5 or M6. The X6M might also be worth comparing to the Macan. The Range Rover, Cayenne, X5M are all much more truck/SUV like than car like.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lazydavid wrote:
btenny wrote:Tomato. The more difficult question regarding matte car finishes and the "ghetto look" (my word) is how your HOA will perceive this "style"?
This has the preconception (confirmed to be inaccurate) that Tomato has an HOA. And I suspect not having an HOA is more the norm, at least outside of major cities. I know I've never had one, and never intend to. I've actively avoided homes that have them when shopping. And this (along with the typically unjustifiable expense) is exactly why.
Yes. I guess this is pretty far off topic, but I recently was discussing a potential house purchase, and I asked the realtor about the roof and whether it would be useable for solar (e.g., unshaded, well pitched). She was shocked and said that it wouldn't be acceptable to the developer. I don't remember the exact lot size, but it was at least 5 or 10 acre zoning, so it's not as though I'd be having dreaded solar panels right next to the neighbors. I learned then that HOA are not for me. I thought they only got involved if you were raising goats in 1 acre zoning, or had neon signs up, or had junk cars all over your lawn, but apparently they feel free to stick their noses where they don't belong, including deciding whether DW's matte finish automobile is sufficiently tony for the neighborhood.

I'm with you, lazydavid.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

carguyny wrote:First, your wife has good taste by shunning the Model X - one of the ugliest minivans on the road by a long way!
It is admittedly ugly from many angles, but I love it from my angle, which is the driver's seat. My wife doesn't want one, but she doesn't shun it.

Second, big difference between a Vinyl Wrap and Paint Protection Film. A wrap is decorative and adds a little bit of paint protection - PPF adds a ton and makes the car easier to maintain. I have all of my sports cars with PPF + cermaic coatings. My race car had a wrap as it is white from the factory - it only took a few hours for the wrap to start to look worse than well kept paint.What do you consider Xpel to be, vinyl wrap or PPF?

In either case, the installer matters the most vs the product. Don't get a dealer to do it and you might need to make a few visits in the future to get it maintained.i would have a specialty shop do it, based on recommendations.

Regarding the car she is looking for - what is most important? Comfort, straight line speed, handling, standing out/blending in etc? I'm using a 570s as my Daily at the moment and as much as I love the car I hate that everyone wants to talk to me about it...

There are many great car options now (none of which are SUVs imo). I know you didn't like a Porsche, but the Macan Turbo might be perfect based on what you've described. I've owned 2 and don't love them, but they are the only car that really ticks all the boxes you've listed so far. If handling is a higher priority while maintaining some usability check out a M5 or M6. The X6M might also be worth comparing to the Macan. The Range Rover, Cayenne, X5M are all much more truck/SUV like than car like.I will include other options when discussing this with DW, but if I were a bettng man, I'd say that the FFRR (thanks lazydavid) is likely to be the one.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

TomatoTomahto wrote:@daveydoo, there's a lot to unpack in your post, and I came up with some pretty snarky replies, but this is a friendly forum, and I'll just swallow those replies. I will just say that you seem to have replied to me with concerns that more accurately belong to other respondents; I'm just looking for a car, probably RR, that will make my wife happy, with a special interest in wraps and ceramic coating. No launch control required.
You're probably right -- my apologies.
TomatoTomahto wrote:Was it Xpel? From what I gather on the Tesla sites, Xpel (not precut, but custom fitted) seems to hold up well. I agree with you; imo, a matte wrap on a large car does look cool.
I don't know. I would not do it, but I'm not partial to predictably high-maintenance things :happy . Wraps seem like lower maintenance than matte-finish paint (unless you're talking primer :D), which I would really never do.
TomatoTomahto wrote: To be clear, I'm not spending money for insane capability; my wife is spending money on what makes her smile. If that comes with a lot of horsepower, so be it.
I think this is this same point. If she craves a bauble, I'd never comment if you wanted to buy her a $200K oil painting or necklace -- it's your money and those are lovely things. But when you propose buying her a vehicle with expensive capabilities to satisfy her or your need for expensive appearances, you run the risk of looking really silly, imo. You may not feel this or share this but there's an expectation that people who consume expensive vehicles appreciate expensive vehicles (beyond the soft ride and cup-holder count). Let's say you fly in a pound of caviar every day for your wife, and every day she takes a few bites and throws the rest away. You can do that every single day -- it's your money. But if someone feels that this is just silly, the defense isn't, "Well, my wife loves caviar!" The criticism here is what you're throwing away, not what you bought. Same with a high-end vehicle for a non-driver. I agree it's less of an issue with RR where the rep is mostly for off-road performance and unreliability. Or, speaking of never-utilized performance, you can go with a G-Class AMG like every Paris Hilton wannabe.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

daveydoo wrote:But when you propose buying her a vehicle with expensive capabilities to satisfy her or your need for expensive appearances, you run the risk of looking really silly, imo. You may not feel this or share this but there's an expectation that people who consume expensive vehicles appreciate expensive vehicles (beyond the soft ride and cup-holder count).
I wish you could see us, because it would be clear beyond any doubt that appearances don't matter much to us. I'm not in a position to judge whether DW's reasons for liking a matte Range Rover meet my standards, and I think it's not useful, unless someone is harming themselves or others, to cast the discussion in that direction. If the worst thing we do is look silly, well, I've done worse.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Tomato I am glad you do not have a HOA. Many of us do have a HOA and I think they serve their purpose. Think about all the HOA boards on buildings in NYC that review potential tenets and reject rock stars due to noise. My HOA and their nosiness is sort of like that. I pay them $100 per month to take care of the roads and the grass areas and the tennis courts and watch out for issues. I said "ghetto" because where I grew up in the southwest the poor kids and gang kids had primer painted cars that were old and gray and matte finish like you propose. Those primer cars were loud and dangerous. They are still around today. So we say "ghetto" to describe stuff. Oh well I am sure I am old fashioned old guy. But if your wife and you like that look it is fine with me.

PS. I also dress very casually and do not worry much about appearances as well. I blame it on old age and retirement. I sometimes wonder where the tall thin good dresser went.

I hope you enjoy your new car. Good Luck.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

TomatoTomahto wrote:If the worst thing we do is look silly, well, I've done worse.
Good point! Enjoy!
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I want to thank everyone for posting. Even with some detours, it has been informative. :D
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

TomatoTomahto wrote:As you might know, I'm a big fan of Teslas, specifically the Model X. I love mine. I have tried to get my wife interested in getting one herself, to no avail. So, rather than feeling that crummy feeling of banging my head against a wall, I'm going to try to enjoy the process and figure out how best to "pimp my DW's ride."

Rules of engagement: I know, I know. Please don't waste your breath and tell me to get a Toyota, or a Porsche. I know that what we are doing is not BH behavior. Take my word for it that we can afford it, our kids are fine, and that our favorite charities are also fine. However much your hackles are raised by the purchase of such an expensive car, figure that my hackles are raised even more by buying another Internal Combustion Vehicle.
How about a Land Rover? They are slightly less "bling". Slightly less WAG (Footballer's Wives & Girlfriends, for the non-British reader).

A used Land Rover Discovery is actually like a real, you know, farm and safari vehicle. You can pretend to be British troops in Belfast, 1978; or out hunting Wildebeast ;-).

My cousin, who owned a several thousand acre estate, always swore by Land Rovers, but would never have a Range Rover.

Although the diesels are theoretically more economical, I suspect that diesel engined cars are going to be blacklisted, at least in urban areas, within 10 years or so. Will really hit resale value.
My wife wants an SUV, and is very partial to Range Rovers (she has owned 4-5 of them). She has had good luck with them, regardless of their reputation for being maintenance nightmares. She currently drives a 2013 (or 2012?) Supercharged Range Rover. She's not a reckless driver, but she does like it when the car moves after the gas pedal is pressed. It is also important that the car work well in snow, and stop well. I would like for the car to have as many safety features as can be crammed in. She commutes sometimes to work in the car, sometimes in heavy traffic, so comfort is important. Rear seats are seldom used, so a long wheelbase model is not called for.

She mentioned seeing a matte black Maybach the other day, and thought it was beautiful. I showed her this photo, and she liked it a lot.
I believe that the car pictured was originally a shiny paint job, but that Xpel STEALTH film (or something similar) was applied, possibly with a ceramic coating for additional protection.

So, anyone here know anything about Xpel or similar wraps? Ceramics? Effect on resale? Maintenance (we have a hand wash place nearby)?
Again a request: please don't be judgmental. Come along for the ride.
I really wouldn't worry about resale-- not if you are buying a Range Rover. Own and burn. If your wife looks like a dealer from Compton, well so-be-it. She can drive down the road, rap thumping out the windows ;-).

On the actual matte, if you are in to it, you are in to it. You can have it resprayed to sell it?

How about a 2 year old one? Their depreciation rate is very high, a 1-2 year old one could be a lot cheaper.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Yes. I guess this is pretty far off topic, but I recently was discussing a potential house purchase, and I asked the realtor about the roof and whether it would be useable for solar (e.g., unshaded, well pitched). She was shocked and said that it wouldn't be acceptable to the developer. I don't remember the exact lot size, but it was at least 5 or 10 acre zoning, so it's not as though I'd be having dreaded solar panels right next to the neighbors. I learned then that HOA are not for me. I thought they only got involved if you were raising goats in 1 acre zoning, or had neon signs up, or had junk cars all over your lawn, but apparently they feel free to stick their noses where they don't belong, including deciding whether DW's matte finish automobile is sufficiently tony for the neighborhood.

I'm with you, lazydavid.
Around here (UK) it's things like not having a company name on your van.

You see that means you "work with your hands" - i.e. have a building trades company or whatever.

It's the most egregious case of middle class English snobbery I have heard of in a while. No Essex man-white van man (you'd say pickup from New Jersey) here, please.

Lot's of people have an employer provided vehicle, or own a company, with the employer's name on the side. Many of those people are quite well off, thank you very much.

(Valuethinker imagines his white van* with "Goldman Sachs" and a phone number on the side ;-)).

*It would be a Porsche White Van, of course ;-).

Another Anecdote

No drying the laundry on the line. No drying your laundry out of doors? Excuse me?

On the other hand, how many HOAs ban gasoline-powered leaf blowers? When Valuethinker restores capital punishment to Brexit Britain, the first executions shall be for the mere ownership of a leaf blower. Actual *use* will be hang-drawn-quartered-relatives-exiled-to-Australia type punishments.
btenny

Post by btenny »

My wife would settle for one day per week for leaf blowers rule and love it versus every day now.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I'm just coming along for the ride.... learning about wraps. I just bought the model S and didn't know about wraps before. The RR in matte black in your picture looks super sharp imo. I hope she enjoys whatever she gets!
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Valuethinker wrote:On the actual matte, if you are in to it, you are in to it. You can have it resprayed to sell it?
From what I've been told, you can remove the Xpel wrap using a hairdryer and a couple of hours of time. The paint underneath will be as fresh as when it was wrapped, without any additional swirls (from car washes), UV damage, or the scratches you pick up from everyday life. I find the "self healing" claimed for Xpel intriguing. Deep scratches (e.g., keying) will not be protected against.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

travellight wrote:I'm just coming along for the ride.... learning about wraps. I just bought the model S and didn't know about wraps before. The RR in matte black in your picture looks super sharp imo. I hope she enjoys whatever she gets!
As I mentioned, owning a Tesla was my introduction to the whole world of wraps. I was originally not a fan of most of the fetish surrounding wraps, rims, etc., but the value of a matte finish (which I aesthetically prefer to a shiny finish), the easier care (dirt doesn't adhere, water flows off, caustic bug juice and bird poop don't eat through to the paint), the resistance and self healing against scratches, made me consider it.

The assumptions about who would drive such a vehicle are something that DW and I will have to discuss. My sense is that she'll say "xxxx em and the horse they rode in on." :D
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

btenny wrote:My wife would settle for one day per week for leaf blowers rule and love it versus every day now.
Or at least not on the weekends.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

btenny wrote:My wife would settle for one day per week for leaf blowers rule and love it versus every day now.
I think capital punishment would be a more effective deterrent, myself ;-).

Use during weeks with 8 days in them, would also be acceptable.

Or in century anniversaries that are also leap years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
travellight wrote:I'm just coming along for the ride.... learning about wraps. I just bought the model S and didn't know about wraps before. The RR in matte black in your picture looks super sharp imo. I hope she enjoys whatever she gets!
As I mentioned, owning a Tesla was my introduction to the whole world of wraps. I was originally not a fan of most of the fetish surrounding wraps, rims, etc., but the value of a matte finish (which I aesthetically prefer to a shiny finish), the easier care (dirt doesn't adhere, water flows off, caustic bug juice and bird poop don't eat through to the paint), the resistance and self healing against scratches, made me consider it.

The assumptions about who would drive such a vehicle are something that DW and I will have to discuss. My sense is that she'll say "xxxx em and the horse they rode in on." :D
So you have the gold chains and the shell suit ready ;-) ?

She will need:

- blonde hair highlights
- tight body con dress (black or white)
- very high heels
- Victoria Beckham's phone number
- season tickets to one of Manchester United, Man City, Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham etc.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

UPDATE:

We went to two different Range Rover dealers near us. We also "built" a Range Rover online and asked for a quote. Overall, it was a depressing experience, and DW's string of Range Rovers appears at an end. The new car is larger (not that the 2012 was small), and in spite of being objectively lighter and having a newer gearbox, seemed sluggish in traffic (where could 510 horsepower and lots of torque evaporate in moving a lighter vehicle?).

The electronics were at least half a decade behind. When I questioned why their adaptive cruise control doesn't work in stop-and-go traffic, the salesman told me that "nobody has that capability, it's a safety issue." I told them that not only my Tesla has it (and can steer), but that my kids' Volvo (a 2013 iirc) has it. One of the reasons I had decided to no longer object do DW getting a new ICE car was that I thought the adaptive cruise control would be useful to her when she gets caught in NJ's horrible traffic.

The salesman that we ran into seemed like zombies, going through the motions. Mind you, we entered the first showroom expecting to be putting together an order. We went to the second dealer somewhat discouraged, but also expecting to be moving forward. On our test drives, the salesmen were in the back seat, paying attention to their cell phones. Contrast that to Tesla's enthusiastic and energized sales people. Or Volvo's.

Btw, the build that I asked for a quote led nowhere. They sent me a form letter thanking me for my inquiry about a 2015 (!) Range Rover, and another email thanking me for my inquiry about a Long Wheelbase Range Rover (neither of which we had any interest in). Nowhere was a quote shown, just blather about looking forward to working with us.

I don't want to over generalize, but I picture Range Rover circling the drain. Too bad it's not an easy short for us.

So, my wife is now looking ata Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Will test drive shortly.

PS Her view of wrapping has become: "it looks pretty interesting for a bit, but I think I'd get tired of it."
matjen

Post by matjen »

Agree on the electronics being way behind. This is why the Velar is the only one that interests me. Did you ask about that at all? I know it isn't available yet.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Matjen, if you could have seen the sleepy salespeople, I doubt that they'd have any idea of upcoming products. One example: after the disappointment of the 2017 Range Rover, my wife asked, with some hope, what changes would be coming in 2018. Salesman's reply: "I think they're going to change the headlights and taillights."
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

denovo wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:
denovo wrote:If she likes acceleration why isn't a sports car in the running, especially if kids are out the house?
Also has to be good in the snow.
Er, nevermind then.Ha. But a lot of people on different sports car forums have reported it's not difficult to operate sports cars in the snow as long as you use the right tires and don't drive like a dummy (which is hard for some people who drive sports cars).
My BMW M5 is surprisingly good in the snow with snow tires, and we get plenty of snow in WI. Traction & stability control really help, which should be standard on anything they are considering (or maybe even required on all cars now).
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dave_k wrote:
denovo wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:
denovo wrote:If she likes acceleration why isn't a sports car in the running, especially if kids are out the house?
Also has to be good in the snow.
Er, nevermind then.Ha. But a lot of people on different sports car forums have reported it's not difficult to operate sports cars in the snow as long as you use the right tires and don't drive like a dummy (which is hard for some people who drive sports cars).
My BMW M5 is surprisingly good in the snow with snow tires, and we get plenty of snow in WI. Traction & stability control really help, which should be standard on anything they are considering (or maybe even required on all cars now).
Acceleration and snow handling are only two of her must haves. She bears grudges, and she does not have a good memory of her BMW 3 series (I know, I know, not all BMWs are alike, but there you have it).

She has gotten accustomed to viewing traffic from up high, so an SUV is called for.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

The Cayenne Turbo S should be a great ride. I had a base V6 model as a rental a few years ago, and was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was to drive despite being a heavy SUV with a not-incredibly-powerful engine. The Turbo S should be a hoot!

If she wouldn't mind downsizing just a tad, the Audi SQ5 is supposed to be a very engaging drive. It's closer in size to the Porsche Macan, but can comfortably seat 4 six-footers. The larger SQ7 (platform-mate of the Cayenne) is allegedly coming next year.

Of course, any discussion of performance SUVs would be hollow and meaningless without mentioning the upcoming Hellcat-powered, 707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Further Update: test drove a 2017 Turbo (not S, there were none available); DW was really pleased with it; I wasn't unpleased. It's obviously much more of a driver's car than the Range Rover. Whether she would make use of the S's additional power or not, she's inclined to build a 2018 Turbo S.

It's expensive, but she rationalizes it as being paid for by some RSUs vesting in July. Easy come, easy go :D
midareff

Post by midareff »

livesoft wrote:I saw a Maserati Levante SUV the other day. It wasn't a RR, but it wasn't a Porsche either.
Funny you mention that..... wife and I got back from an Alaska trip Tuesday and the next parking spot in the garage swapped out a Range Rover for the Maserati SUV.