Pimp my DW's ride.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Pimp my DW's ride.

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 am

As you might know, I'm a big fan of Teslas, specifically the Model X. I love mine. I have tried to get my wife interested in getting one herself, to no avail. So, rather than feeling that crummy feeling of banging my head against a wall, I'm going to try to enjoy the process and figure out how best to "pimp my DW's ride."

Rules of engagement: I know, I know. Please don't waste your breath and tell me to get a Toyota, or a Porsche. I know that what we are doing is not BH behavior. Take my word for it that we can afford it, our kids are fine, and that our favorite charities are also fine. However much your hackles are raised by the purchase of such an expensive car, figure that my hackles are raised even more by buying another Internal Combustion Vehicle.

My wife wants an SUV, and is very partial to Range Rovers (she has owned 4-5 of them). She has had good luck with them, regardless of their reputation for being maintenance nightmares. She currently drives a 2013 (or 2012?) Supercharged Range Rover. She's not a reckless driver, but she does like it when the car moves after the gas pedal is pressed. It is also important that the car work well in snow, and stop well. I would like for the car to have as many safety features as can be crammed in. She commutes sometimes to work in the car, sometimes in heavy traffic, so comfort is important. Rear seats are seldom used, so a long wheelbase model is not called for.

She mentioned seeing a matte black Maybach the other day, and thought it was beautiful. I showed her this photo, and she liked it a lot.Image

I believe that the car pictured was originally a shiny paint job, but that Xpel STEALTH film (or something similar) was applied, possibly with a ceramic coating for additional protection.

So, anyone here know anything about Xpel or similar wraps? Ceramics? Effect on resale? Maintenance (we have a hand wash place nearby)?
Again a request: please don't be judgmental. Come along for the ride.

matjen

Re: Pimp my DW's ride.

Post by matjen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 am

I don't know much about wraps but my sense is they are a way more popular down market and in the tuner world not at your "level." I could be wrong though.

My other comment is have you had a chance to check out the new Range Rover Velar? It's not top of the line but it is their brand new design. Stunning in my opinion. Outside and especially on the inside. The electronics should be far better than other Range Rovers.

She is likely a First Edition type of gal. :-) http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/ra ... index.html

More here:
http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/ra ... index.html
Last edited by matjen on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 am

matjen wrote:I don't know much about wraps but I my sense is they are a way more popular down market and in the tuner world not at your "level." I could be wrong though.

My other comment is have you had a chance to check out the new Range Rover Velar? It's not top of the line but it is their brand new design. Stunning in my opinion. Outside and especially on the inside. The electronics should be far better than other Range Rovers.

She is likely a First Edition type of gal. :-) http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/ra ... index.html

More here:
That Velar is smoking hot, although I am not normally a Range Rover fan. That one is worth a look. I am trying to make sure my wife
does not see the ad :)

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:52 am

I would not go with the matte finish on any vehicle unless you plan to pay for a paint job prior to sale or trade in. I consider it a fad paint job that will not endure. It will be a value detraction on resale or trade. If money is no concern, go for it.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 am

I saw a Maserati Levante SUV the other day. It wasn't a RR, but it wasn't a Porsche either.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am

Two suggestions. Have the Rover vinyl wrapped by a pro in your choice of color and finish. The reason I say this is because at the time of sale, it's a couple hours with a hair dryer to remove and the paint will be perfect.

Buy her a second set of wheels with snow tires. Rovers are some of the best vehicles in the world in snow (when they're running) but tires are what touches the road and a set of snows will give her added safety.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 am

Have you considered a Jaguar F-Pace or a Maserati Levante? In the same price range as the Range Rover (the Jag is even cheaper), and if you are talking Land Rovers you are not really concerned about resale value. I think your wife would be happy with a new model and the exclusivity.

The paint wraps can be removed when it comes time to sell the car, but they are tacky in my opinion.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:04 am

Maserati for sure...wrap it and apply a ceramic coating, although you may want to check on the protections the wrap already provides. Im no expert but i'd assume theres some UV protection of some sort, could be wrong.

Simple hand wash will be fine. I believe you care for it just like any other painted surface.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am

I would also be interested in hearing first hand experience from someone in-the-know on car wraps. My concerns surround what, if any, effects there would be on the paint in the event that the wrap is removed. Also, how well they hold up to the sun - yellowing, fading, etc. As well as typical cost.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:15 am

If you do go for a matte paint job instead of a wrap be sure you are paying a lot for it and to a really nice shop. Matte shows defects worse than just about any other kind of paint. I can't tell you how many crappy matte paint jobs i've seen rolling around. Additionally there are different cleaning and maintenance concerns. You will likely need to take the car to a detailer that knows how to handle matte paint if you want to keep it looking nice.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:48 am

barnaclebob wrote:If you do go for a matte paint job instead of a wrap be sure you are paying a lot for it and to a really nice shop. Matte shows defects worse than just about any other kind of paint. I can't tell you how many crappy matte paint jobs i've seen rolling around. Additionally there are different cleaning and maintenance concerns. You will likely need to take the car to a detailer that knows how to handle matte paint if you want to keep it looking nice.
This would be reason #1 to go with a wrap over paint IMO.
Wraps are good for ~3-5yrs from what ive seen depending on your maintenance levels.
Ideally you would have a ceramic/wax coating applied on the factory paint job prior to wrapping the vehicle.

crit

Post by crit » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:my hackles are raised even more by buying another Internal Combustion Vehicle.
Can't give any input on the paint, but we just got an A3 e-tron to replace our TDI. It's a plug-in hybrid, with a 23-mile battery that you can use in EV mode to putter around town, hybrid mode, or use the ICE to save the battery for town driving at the end of a highway run. Very comfortable, and my 29" mountain bike fits in there fine, so while it's not an SUV it's got the utility. Still has a $4200 tax credit, and possibly state incentives.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 am

Just gotta say ... that is one cool looking RR .... have fun!!!

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

You might take her to look at the Bentley Bentayga SUV. It is British and nicer than the Range Rover. I bet she would like it. She can customize it to her tastes. No need for some funky wrap. And they really last forever so keeping it is a choice as it gets older. They are classic styled and really nice looking. I see one of them driven by a diplomat who lives near me regularly and it looks really great.

http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/models/ ... tayga.html

Good Luck.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 am

mmarreco wrote:Have you considered a Jaguar F-Pace or a Maserati Levante? In the same price range as the Range Rover (the Jag is even cheaper), and if you are talking Land Rovers you are not really concerned about resale value. I think your wife would be happy with a new model and the exclusivity.

The paint wraps can be removed when it comes time to sell the car, but they are tacky in my opinion.
I will consider a Jaguar and look into it.

My neighbor has a Maserati and wants to get rid of it to buy a, wait for it, Tesla Model X like his wife's car. So, that's not in the running.

Just curious, why do you think of wraps as tacky? I'd ordinarily get paint like I want, but from what I understand, scratches (even light ones) in a matte finish are impossible to make less visible. A matte wrap, otoh, will "self repair" after a few hours in the sun, assuming that the scratch isn't too deep.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:44 am

matjen wrote:I don't know much about wraps but my sense is they are a way more popular down market and in the tuner world not at your "level." I could be wrong though.

More here:
I had never heard of wraps, until I joined a Tesla X owners FB group, and it seems that many of them wrap their cars. I thought of it as goofy, until I saw a Tesla S in matte green, and it was striking.

That Velar will require some looking into :D and of course, if it's a Velar, it's going to have to be a First Edition :beer

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am

Car and Driver complete review of the Bentley SUV including off roading in Moab. C & D really liked the car. But it is really a lot more expensive than a Range Rover so don't show it to your wife unless you are ready to spend this much.

http://www.caranddriver.com/bentley/bentayga

Good Luck.

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Have you considered a Honda Fit?

;-)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Two suggestions. Have the Rover vinyl wrapped by a pro in your choice of color and finish. The reason I say this is because at the time of sale, it's a couple hours with a hair dryer to remove and the paint will be perfect.

Buy her a second set of wheels with snow tires. Rovers are some of the best vehicles in the world in snow (when they're running) but tires are what touches the road and a set of snows will give her added safety.
I don't know if it was one of your posts, or someone elses', but I have become a believer in winter tires through one of the discussions on BH. Her current car has them, and if it were a newer car, they'd be on separate rims. We don't even get that much snow in northern NJ, but they are a very different pair of shoes in the extreme cold.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Any thoughts on the allegedly upcoming BMW X7? Supposed to have 3 rows of seating, so maybe too big?

For a "performance" SUV, especially if size isn't that big a factor, I would want to check out the Porsche Macan (although you said no Porsches in the OP)?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13 pm

btenny wrote:Car and Driver complete review of the Bentley SUV including off roading in Moab. C & D really liked the car. But it is really a lot more expensive than a Range Rover so don't show it to your wife unless you are ready to spend this much.

http://www.caranddriver.com/bentley/bentayga

Good Luck.
One of the parents at my kid's HS had one of those. Fwiw, the 2018 RR have jumped in price, so the gap isn't as much as it would have been a year or two ago.

For the record, "so don't show it to your wife unless you are ready to spend this much;" she is the breadwinner in our home, so it's entirely a matter of what she's comfortable with.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:30 pm

matjen wrote:I don't know much about wraps but my sense is they are a way more popular down market and in the tuner world not at your "level." I could be wrong though.
I don't have a wrap, but I have the opposite impression. I've never personally seen a <$50k car with a wrap. But I have seen numerous BMW M3/4/5, Mercedes CLS and S-class (including one Maybach), and exotics like Lamborghini done with matte vinyl wraps.
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 pm

bigred77 wrote:Any thoughts on the allegedly upcoming BMW X7? Supposed to have 3 rows of seating, so maybe too big?

For a "performance" SUV, especially if size isn't that big a factor, I would want to check out the Porsche Macan (although you said no Porsches in the OP)?
We looked at an X7 years ago, and were not impressed. Perhaps they're better now.

I actually meant no 911s, but we had a bad experience with a Porsche salesman. She was looking at a Cayenne, and no matter how often I reminded the salesman that the car was for her, he kept talking to me, so I excused myself and went to the men's room. While I was away, DW asked him something about the Turbo, and he replied "you don't need that" in a "don't worry your pretty little head about that" kind of way. By the time I got out of the men's room, she was ready to leave, and never looked back. And, yes, this was in the 21st century.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:We looked at an X7 years ago, and were not impressed. Perhaps they're better now.
This is un-possible, unless you're in possession of a time machine. No X7 has ever been available for sale, and there's a distinct possibility that none has ever existed. There's a rumor that one may be coming to market next year, but no confirmation yet.
TomatoTomahto wrote:I actually meant no 911s, but we had a bad experience with a Porsche salesman. She was looking at a Cayenne, and no matter how often I reminded the salesman that the car was for her, he kept talking to me, so I excused myself and went to the men's room. While I was away, DW asked him something about the Turbo, and he replied "you don't need that" in a "don't worry your pretty little head about that" kind of way. By the time I got out of the men's room, she was ready to leave, and never looked back. And, yes, this was in the 21st century.
You can have a bad salesman anywhere. I had this exact experience at a Jeep dealership with an ex-girlfriend years ago. We showed up in her Buick, with her driving, and stated that she was looking to replace it. He actually handed me the keys before the test drive. I wouldn't let that one experience dissuade you from the Cayenne, as it's a great car (and the Turbo/Turbo S are just stupid fast for an SUV :mrgreen: ). But I probably wouldn't go back to that particular dealership.
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a "car person" and know nothing about car wraps, etc.

To me, that car, in that particular finish, looks like someone who wants to pretend they're rich. Like it is trying too hard and instead comes across as tacky? Anyway, that was my first impression and I wanted to share before you part with your money. I am not against spending the money on what you both enjoy, but I feel like there are better options out there.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:45 pm

lazydavid wrote:
I don't have a wrap, but I have the opposite impression. I've never personally seen a <$50k car with a wrap. But I have seen numerous BMW M3/4/5, Mercedes CLS and S-class (including one Maybach), and exotics like Lamborghini done with matte vinyl wraps.
Agreed- I tend to see them on exotics. Makes sense given the fairly high cost to have one installed (they are quite labor intensive). They can be easily removed, but I also feel like they usually look tacky. I can see it though if you are trying to daily drive an exotic and don't want to risk damaging the paint.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:50 pm

lazydavid wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:We looked at an X7 years ago, and were not impressed. Perhaps they're better now.
This is un-possible, unless you're in possession of a time machine. No X7 has ever been available for sale, and there's a distinct possibility that none has ever existed. There's a rumor that one may be coming to market next year, but no confirmation yet.
:oops: my mistake. We looked at an X5

We do, as it happens, have a time machine, but the flux capacitor on my Tesla X needs fixing.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 pm

lazydavid wrote:You can have a bad salesman anywhere. I had this exact experience at a Jeep dealership with an ex-girlfriend years ago. We showed up in her Buick, with her driving, and stated that she was looking to replace it. He actually handed me the keys before the test drive. I wouldn't let that one experience dissuade you from the Cayenne, as it's a great car (and the Turbo/Turbo S are just stupid fast for an SUV :mrgreen: ). But I probably wouldn't go back to that particular dealership.
I'll mention it to DW. One other thing to overcome is the memory of Carmella Soprano's nasal delivery of "Porsche Cayenne."

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote: Just curious, why do you think of wraps as tacky? I'd ordinarily get paint like I want, but from what I understand, scratches (even light ones) in a matte finish are impossible to make less visible. A matte wrap, otoh, will "self repair" after a few hours in the sun, assuming that the scratch isn't too deep.
I live in Miami and I see a wrapped car in almost every corner, most of them driven by kids who like to customize their rides, so that may have given me a bias. The only advantage I see is that you are protecting the actual paint and when you remove the wrap the paint will be virtually new.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:10 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
lazydavid wrote:You can have a bad salesman anywhere. I had this exact experience at a Jeep dealership with an ex-girlfriend years ago. We showed up in her Buick, with her driving, and stated that she was looking to replace it. He actually handed me the keys before the test drive. I wouldn't let that one experience dissuade you from the Cayenne, as it's a great car (and the Turbo/Turbo S are just stupid fast for an SUV :mrgreen: ). But I probably wouldn't go back to that particular dealership.
I'll mention it to DW. One other thing to overcome is the memory of Carmella Soprano's nasal delivery of "Porsche Cayenne."
I joked with my wife that I was going to give her a weekly allowance in cash like Carmella got from Tony.

That.... did not go over well. :mrgreen:

matjen

Post by matjen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:31 pm

lazydavid wrote:
My impression is like mmarreco's above. Even if the car is nice it is often driven by a younger person and it is often a tad ostentatious. I think the OP and wife are in their late 50s/60s. Having said that, it is just my impression and if there are great reasons to do it and you have a mellow color then go for it.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:00 pm

dwickenh wrote:I would not go with the matte finish on any vehicle unless you plan to pay for a paint job prior to sale or trade in. I consider it a fad paint job that will not endure. It will be a value detraction on resale or trade. If money is no concern, go for it.
Seems to me that in a discussion where a family has a car as impractical as a Tesla and wants two, has owned multiple Range Rovers with their legendary depreciation; where cars like Maybach and Maserati are options; and where a fad paint job that probably costs more than a lot of new ordinary cars might be considered at all; any reference to terms like value, resale or trade, and money being of concern would all be oxymorons.

Sort of like asking the salesman how much the monthly payments would be on a million dollar yacht.

jimb

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Whatever you decide - dark gangsta tint on the windows is mandatory. 8-)
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:16 pm

jimb_fromATL wrote:
dwickenh wrote:I would not go with the matte finish on any vehicle unless you plan to pay for a paint job prior to sale or trade in. I consider it a fad paint job that will not endure. It will be a value detraction on resale or trade. If money is no concern, go for it.
Seems to me that in a discussion where a family has a car as impractical as a Tesla and wants two, has owned multiple Range Rovers with their legendary depreciation; where cars like Maybach and Maserati are options; and where a fad paint job that probably costs more than a lot of new ordinary cars might be considered at all; any reference to terms like value, resale or trade, and money being of concern would all be oxymorons.

Sort of like asking the salesman how much the monthly payments would be on a million dollar yacht.

jimb
Jimb,
I see your point, but A) I consider my Tesla practical, for me
B) we never considered a Maybach (other than liking how it looked)
and C) money is a concern, albeit not a foremost concern

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm

matjen wrote:
lazydavid wrote:I think the OP and wife are in their late 50s/60s. Having said that, it is just my impression and if there are great reasons to do it and you have a mellow color then go for it.
My reasoning for a wrap is that I like the matte gray/black appearance (which I think qualifies as mellow), but have heard that matte paint is impossible to maintain if you get any scratches or swirls, much less what happens to cars in NJ parking lots.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Y'all probably know the RR service department pretty well, so that kind of nixes all the other brands because you would have to learn to deal with new people.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 pm

We're a tough crowd. Personally, I like the matte finish. Make sure the rims compliment the finish.

One more to toss into the mix is the Mercedes G550. Definitely a capable machine, and eye catching.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 pm

livesoft wrote:Y'all probably know the RR service department pretty well, so that kind of nixes all the other brands because you would have to learn to deal with new people.
i probably had more to do with the Audi service department during DW's unfortunate time with her Audi TT than all of the Range Rovers added together, but that doesn't make an Audi a likely candidate. Unless it's over my dead body, which I hope is some years away.

I know we might be the exception that proves the rule, but we (knock wood) never had reliability issues with our RRs, unless you count frequent brake pad replacements (but that's to be expected from stopping a heavy car). We did have a valve job under warranty once.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:02 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:I know we might be the exception that proves the rule, but we (knock wood) never had reliability issues with our RRs, unless you count frequent brake pad replacements (but that's to be expected from stopping a heavy car). We did have a valve job under warranty once.
I've heard from several people who had no or limited problems with the "Full-Fat" Range Rover. Maybe not Lexus reliable, but not in keeping with the brand's poor overall reputation. I think that reputation came about because most/all of their other models are outright rubbish. :) The Discovery was so bad that they discontinued it, though they did bring that name back recently. So if you do go back to the Land Rover dealer, limit your browsing to only the FFRR, and avoid the Sport, Evoque, LR2/3/4, etc.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm

lazydavid wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:I know we might be the exception that proves the rule, but we (knock wood) never had reliability issues with our RRs, unless you count frequent brake pad replacements (but that's to be expected from stopping a heavy car). We did have a valve job under warranty once.
I've heard from several people who had no or limited problems with the "Full-Fat" Range Rover. Maybe not Lexus reliable, but not in keeping with the brand's poor overall reputation. I think that reputation came about because most/all of their other models are outright rubbish. :) The Discovery was so bad that they discontinued it, though they did bring that name back recently. So if you do go back to the Land Rover dealer, limit your browsing to only the FFRR, and avoid the Sport, Evoque, LR2/3/4, etc.
:beer I like the name Full Fat Range Rover. I hadn't heard that. DW and I, in our discussions, refer to ours as the "real" Range Rover. I've gotten some of the other models as loaners over the years, and I can't disagree with your characterization of them.

I wonder if the Velar will be a real Range Rover or a poser.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:30 pm

jimb_fromATL wrote:

jimb
That is why I said if money is no concern, go for it :mrgreen:

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm

If she likes acceleration why isn't a sports car in the running, especially if kids are out the house?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm

denovo wrote:If she likes acceleration why isn't a sports car in the running, especially if kids are out the house?
Also has to be good in the snow.

I really like the SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's so impractical, but it's loud & mean looking.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
denovo wrote:If she likes acceleration why isn't a sports car in the running, especially if kids are out the house?
Also has to be good in the snow.

Er, nevermind then.Ha. But a lot of people on different sports car forums have reported it's not difficult to operate sports cars in the snow as long as you use the right tires and don't drive like a dummy (which is hard for some people who drive sports cars).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Re a sports car:

- She likes to sit up high
- Snow performance matters, although that can be worked around
- When we go out as a family, we take the Tesla, but there are still occasions where she needs the seats/storage of an SUV
- She had a horrible experience with an Audi TT, which some people tell me is supposed to be a sports car. Not only was the car junk, it seemed to always find other drivers' blind spot. She and I both had accidents in that car; it was her first accident and my first since a fender bender some 40 years ago. It could be a coincidence, but I don't think so.
- She just isn't feeling the "sports car thing."

tandersonsrt8

Post by tandersonsrt8 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Jeep SRT8s are fast and a thrill to drive but mine was terrible in the snow with stock tires. In northern MN (Duluth- if anyone has been there, which is on a big hill next to Lake Superior) I couldn't drive mine up it if there was even a little bit of snow on the ground. Traded it in for a Denali instead.
It was something though when the wifey and I with our son in the back would pull up next to a sports car at a light and it wouldn't even be a challenge. Right now if looking for a performance SUV, the Tesla X P100D and the Jeep SRT8 Hellcat, which is coming out this year are the only two I would look at. They are big sports cars with better traction and can haul more people/stuff. But like another poster said, the Jeep SRT8 is just plain muscle and a mean looking SUV. When I wanted to go on a drive for something I drove the Jeep, and left the Mercedes SL550 in the garage.

If you want a beast inside a SUV I would get the Jeep SRT8 Hellcat easily if want something unique that is reasonably priced compared to the 2-3x price of the other ones.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Tandersonsrt8, I tried to talk her into an X P100DL, but no dice. For better or worse, the Range Rover seems to check most of the boxes with her.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Have no BHs wrapped a car, matte or otherwise?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 pm

tandersonsrt8 wrote:Jeep SRT8s are fast and a thrill to drive but mine was terrible in the snow with stock tires. In northern MN (Duluth- if anyone has been there, which is on a big hill next to Lake Superior) I couldn't drive mine up it if there was even a little bit of snow on the ground. Traded it in for a Denali instead.
There are two different "stock" tires on the SRT, both Pierelli. The options are the "all season" Scorpion Verde, and the summer-only P-Zero Nero. suburban Chicago isn't quite as snowy (or hilly!) as Duluth, but still a little more than half of the SRTs I see are equipped with the Neros. Summer tires are beyond useless in the snow.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:43 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:Tandersonsrt8, I tried to talk her into an X P100DL, but no dice. For better or worse, the Range Rover seems to check most of the boxes with her.
I think since she's bought a couple in a row, its what she's set on and looks like the obvious answer. I would say for safety, Subaru's Sensing (Safety) Package seems to be highly rated.