Black and white laser printers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
schachtw

Black and white laser printers

Post by schachtw »

I'm looking to purchase a B&W laser jet printer.
It needs to have: copy, fax,scan capability and Ethernet connectivity.
Duplex printing is a nice to have, but not critical.

I'm considering 3 models:
1. HP MFP 130 fw
2. Brother MFC L2720 dw
3. Cannon MF 247dw

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these printers? Other recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Wayne
prudent

Re: Black and white laser printers

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Don't have any of those particular models but I have a Brother model HL-2280DW that will do all you list and I am very happy with it. I get my extended-life cartridges on-line from Costco or WalMart.
Tom D.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

another Brother fan here. Not your model but Son has Brother 2270DW, and we have Brother 2340D. Both work well but never tried ethernet since both print by air.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

no direct experience with these models.

Have a Canon inkjet at home and use brothers and HPs at 10 Taxaide sites.

Canon software is a bit complicated (for my model)
HPs is easy to set up but not as reliable as Brother
Brother (have one at home and 6 at sites - these are real workhorses -- high volume -- and have not had any reliability problems). The Brothers are older models and the network configuration is not as intuitive as HP.

As an aside, I have found that network printers work best when you set them up with a fixed IP address - either outside the DHCP range or with a reserved DHCP address).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Look into the software each uses. That is the weak point in every printer. I have a Cannon and doing basic stuff is usually not a problem, but if you need to do anything advanced or if anything goes wrong, God help you. The software is not user-friendly.

JT
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

tomd37 wrote:Don't have any of those particular models but I have a Brother model HL-2280DW that will do all you list and I am very happy with it. I get my extended-life cartridges on-line from Costco or WalMart.
+1. I have my Brother printer set up under both Windows and Linux Mint, no problems. Mint doesn't seem to have scanner driver, but scanning works well under Windows when I need something scanned.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I am extremely happy with a brother laser b&w laser I bought 2 years ago. I van print from computer or ipad without being physically connected. Fast printing. It also has a nice scanner.

Very happy here.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Very happy with (had for a few years) HP 1319 MFP. The only problem with the 1319 is that the scanner (for FAX, copy and scan) requires feeding the sheet. It is not a flatbed. That is OK for me because I have another one (color) that has a flatbed.

Keep in mind whether you want/need a flatbed.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Brother.
Why does it need Ethernet?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I have had a Brother MFC 8810 DW for several years. Fast. Excellent quality copies. Trouble free. I use airprint and wifi exclusively so have not tried ethernet. I buy the large toner cartridge from Amazon, about 8000 pages.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
mouses

Post by mouses »

bottlecap wrote:Look into the software each uses. That is the weak point in every printer. I have a Cannon and doing basic stuff is usually not a problem, but if you need to do anything advanced or if anything goes wrong, God help you. The software is not user-friendly.

JT
I got a Canon as a backup to my ancient HP Photosmarts which are not getting any younger. The Canon is really inferior. The Photosmarts scan larger areas of documents and have more settings that can be tweaked for scanning.

Oh, and the Canon is very noisy. It even has a Quiet setting, but that still leaves it too noisy.

I used to do all my faxing by maxemail and so didn't need an actual "fax machine." But they sold themselves to efax, which did away with the low cost not much faxing plan.

Post by 2015 »

tomd37 wrote:Don't have any of those particular models but I have a Brother model HL-2280DW that will do all you list and I am very happy with it. I get my extended-life cartridges on-line from Costco or WalMart.
Based on suggestions from this forum, I just had a Brother model HL-2380DW delivered day before yesterday.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... Gwodp20LSg
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
TrendyTightwad

Post by TrendyTightwad »

I have a Brother MFC L2700DW. Scans, copies, and prints beautifully. I have not used the fax feature. I did run into two problems, but I believe a firmware update fixed one. First, the "Deep Sleep" energy-saving phenomenon rendered the printer effectively dead until I unplugged it. This was fixed on Brother's end with some sort of an update. The second, and more annoying, problem that I ran into was that I was having a lot of trouble getting it to connect wirelessly with my computers (1 Macbook Air, 1 Chromebook). Eventually, I connected it using its IP address, and I've had no problems.
spitty

Post by spitty »

I got the Brother 2380 last year as recommended on this forum--it is fantastic! I use it via wifi from a MBP to print and scan. Also have it wired to an old PC to print (USB) so it works both ways as someone had asked. Haven't needed a new cartridge yet cause I don't print a ton but nice thing about laser is the ink doesn't dry out like an ink jet if not used.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

schachtw wrote:I'm looking to purchase a B&W laser jet printer.
It needs to have: copy, fax,scan capability and Ethernet connectivity.
Duplex printing is a nice to have, but not critical.

1. HP MFP 130 fw
2. Brother MFC L2720 dw
3. Cannon MF 247dw

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these printers? Other recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Wayne
I love my brother printer. I have an older B&W with no fax/scan/copy or wifi and it's still my go to printer for B&W. I do have a brother color inkjet that has all of the copy/scan/fax/wifi and has performed quite well.
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

Again, no experience with any of those specific ones, but I'll also throw in that my Brother black and white laser printer has been working great for me for years.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have an older model of the Canon laser printer and it has worked flawlessly the last five years I've owned it. I have never installed any software. I just plugged it in and other than connecting it to my wifi network through the printer keypad. It was plug and play. Not sure why those above even need to install any software.
Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree »

Personal experience with Brother HL-5470DW: going strong for about 5 years. Laser printer with black-and-white only. It's a totally reliable workhorse, never had a single problem. All of our printing is done wirelessly from iPads or iPhones.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I have a Brother MFC-7840W I bought in early 2010 and still going strong.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
furikake

Post by furikake »

I don't have any of the models you have above. I do have a Canon All In One black and white laser printer that can do all the above. Used to use it a lot to do everything you stated until I got electronic fax, and I don't use it for fax anymore. I also have an HP laser printer that can print and duplex print, but not the rest. I used to print a lot, but then most things went electronic, I don't print as much anymore. I bought 2 of each thinking I might need a backup. Fast forward 10+ years later, they're still going strong. The backups are still in boxes.

I'd suggest looking at the prices on the print cartridges, if you're okay buying refurbished, or they have to be new, and how much they are, and how much you're willing to pay. I don't buy printers based on price, I buy based on how much I want to pay per print and also reliability. I think you can't go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned.
G12

Post by G12 »

schachtw wrote:
1. HP MFP 130 fw
2. Brother MFC L2720 dw
3. Cannon MF 247dw

Thanks
Wayne
I have a Brother MFC L2740 DW. Found the lowest price on Costco Online about 2 years ago. It does draw significant energy initially coming out of sleep state, then drops down. Toner cartridge is long lasting, print quality is very good, document scan quality is very good in BW or color, scanning photos not quite the quality as printed matter, and it works well with my wife's iPhone but not so much printing from my S5 phone. It prints 2-sided documents very well and automatically, so no manual re-insertion of paper. You do need to check and install updated software for best results at initial use. Overall I have been very satisfied with the unit and it replaced a 10 year old Brother printer/scanner.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Another happy Brother customers here (older model than what you listed).

Why do you say Duplex is only nice to have? You should make this a must-have requirement as it can save a lot of paper / trees in addition to making printouts lighter and easier to carry. And, unlike printing duplex on a ink-jet printer which takes longer (printer hesitates to allow ink to dry on each side) on a laser printer it is quite fast at duplex.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

While I have not done a "cost analysis", my opinion is that black and white lasers have lower costs per page than inkjets. Color (in either type) is much more.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Love my Brother printers. I've learned how to fool the cartridges into printing long after the low toner message comes up on YouTube. I've also had good luck with the no-name cartridges. I've never had printers from the other brands you mentioned, so I can't comment on which is better. But my experience is that Brother printers are work-horses.
Exterous

Post by Exterous »

Brother hands down. They have a good reputation for reliability, generally play well with third part toner cartridges and don't require new toner cartridges for every new model (*cough* HP *cough*). Their biggest weakness is feature set. They have more than enough for home use but business use can be lacking. FWIW I work in IT and at the last company I worked for I switched out all the HP printers I could for Brother printers. Fewer service calls and cheaper supplies meant happier employees. While we had some old HP tanks from the early 2000s still printing away a lot of their new ones were terrible. I forget which line but I had to replace 4 of the same HP model within the first 9 months. 2 of the replacements crapped out on me less than 9 months after that.
dm200 wrote:While I have not done a "cost analysis", my opinion is that black and white lasers have lower costs per page than inkjets. Color (in either type) is much more.
Laser printing is absolutely cheaper than ink jet for both black and white and color. Toner cartridges are also not prone the same sort of drying out or clogging issues ink jets are.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

PFInterest wrote:Brother.
Ethernet makes it easy to have a printer located independently of the computer using it, and for multiple devices to share a printer without relying on a computer it is hooked up to being turned on and sharing the printer.

Wifi printers also provide this benefit a little more conveniently, but ethernet tends to be more stable.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

iamlucky13 wrote:
PFInterest wrote:Brother.
Ethernet makes it easy to have a printer located independently of the computer using it, and for multiple devices to share a printer without relying on a computer it is hooked up to being turned on and sharing the printer.

Wifi printers also provide this benefit a little more conveniently, but Ethernet tends to be more stable.
I agree. (It doesn't NEED Ethernet, but connecting it directly to Ethernet is a big plus)

My Brother HL-5250DN was manufactured in July 2006; change the laser cartridge every once in a while and that's it. Very reliable and economical. It can be connected directly to a single computer or you can use the Ethernet connector to connect it directly to a router. The big advantage of the Ethernet connection is any computer on the network can print to it directly. Much better that way. Of course, as you say, the more modern solution is wireless...more convenient but not quite as stable.
Last edited by munemaker on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Similar experience here with my HL-2380DW that I've had for about a year. I finally let those here talk me out of an inkjet and happy that I did.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Topic Author
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Thanks All:

Going with Brother. Appreciate all of the feedback.
Regards,
Wayne
hale2

Post by hale2 »

I am looking for an all in one laser printer. After reading all of the recommendations for Brother printers I started looking at them. However, I keep seeing reviews that say they are difficult to get to work for apple products and they drop the wifi connection and need to be reset. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who uses MacBooks, iPads, and chrome books?
Thanks
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

hale2 wrote:I am looking for an all in one laser printer. After reading all of the recommendations for Brother printers I started looking at them. However, I keep seeing reviews that say they are difficult to get to work for apple products and they drop the wifi connection and need to be reset. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who uses MacBooks, iPads, and chrome books?
Thanks
We use only chromebooks and have zero problems with web printing.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
telemark

Post by telemark »

For Chromebooks, look for a printer that supports Google Cloud print. There's a partial list at

https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers/

For Apple products you can use either Google Cloud print or Apple's Airprint. Brother printers that support Airprint are at

http://www.brother-usa.com/connect/mobile/airprint.aspx

Any printer designed in the last few years is likely to support both protocols. My printer has an ethernet connection to the router, so I don't know about the wifi problems.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

hale2 wrote:I am looking for an all in one laser printer. After reading all of the recommendations for Brother printers I started looking at them. However, I keep seeing reviews that say they are difficult to get to work for apple products and they drop the wifi connection and need to be reset. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who uses MacBooks, iPads, and chrome books?
Thanks
We run iMacs and currently use a Brother HL 22 B/W laser wifi connected...for three systems...also use a MacBook pro and have not had connection issues. I will admit that I seldom..if ever, print anything from an iPad...but don't think it would be a problem....

In regard to the initial question....why anyone needs a FAX anymore is beyond me...I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500, which I consider one of my best investments...anything I need to share ...I simply scan and attach to an email....and, other than tax files...everything else is scanned and filed on my system and the original is then shredded...my file cabinet needs are now are nearly not necessary any longer.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I hate printers never had a good one till now - Brother rocks. No more running out of ink or using it up on a test page and always works over Wireless
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

And it works great with my apple laptop and pad
hale2

Post by hale2 »

rebellovw wrote:And it works great with my apple laptop and pad
Which model do you have?
hale2

Post by hale2 »

telemark wrote:For Chromebooks, look for a printer that supports Google Cloud print. There's a partial list at

https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers/

For Apple products you can use either Google Cloud print or Apple's Airprint. Brother printers that support Airprint are at

http://www.brother-usa.com/connect/mobile/airprint.aspx

Any printer designed in the last few years is likely to support both protocols. My printer has an ethernet connection to the router, so I don't know about the wifi problems.
Thanks for the links. Very helpful.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Brother HL-L2380DW
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

rebellovw wrote:Brother HL-L2380DW
Mine is also the HL-L2380DW that works with our Samsung, Toshiba and HP Chromebooks.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
rebellovw wrote:Brother HL-L2380DW
Mine is also the HL-L2380DW that works with our Samsung, Toshiba and HP Chromebooks.
Best printer I've ever had. I'm still using the original ink cart. I literally threw my last printer onto the garage floor - I hated that thing (and that one was one of my better previous printers.)
hale2

Post by hale2 »

Thanks everyone for telling me about the models. I was looking for a multi-function since I need the scan feature. Upon looking at the models you recommended I see that they can also scan, despite being listed by Brother as print only. Looks like I've found what I was looking for.
Thanks
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Yep - the model I have 'Brother HL-L2380DW' has a scanner on top - I've scanned many pages for expense reports etc - works like a champ. My old printer had a feed which could scan many pages at once - but that never worked and always jammed. My model also doesn't have a FAX - which I thought might be a problem - but have found I really don't need a fax any longer as most people will accept a scanned signed/document/pdf in lieu of a fax - so fax not needed.