New laptop needed, any ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JKD GUY

New laptop needed, any ideas?

Post by JKD GUY » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:05 am

My 7 y/o HP is going downhill and I'm in the market for a quality new one. I've been looking at a Lenovo thinkpad so far from reviews I've read. I guess I'm a typical user and just need something for data/files storage, streaming/surfing the web, and microsoft office applications. I'm wanting to keep it ~$500. Any recommendations for sites/stores to order from, hardware, etc?

Thanks in advance
"Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow" Proverbs 13:11

student

Re: New laptop needed, any ideas?

Post by student » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:13 am

$500 will get you a pretty good laptop directly from Lenovo, Best Buy or Sam's Club etc.

For example, this is decent.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Premium-i ... generation

Newest 7th generation chip. The Lenovo that I got last year annoys me because the fan is always on.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:21 am

JKD GUY wrote:My 7 y/o HP is going downhill and I'm in the market for a quality new one. I've been looking at a Lenovo thinkpad so far from reviews I've read. I guess I'm a typical user and just need something for data/files storage, streaming/surfing the web, and microsoft office applications. I'm wanting to keep it ~$500. Any recommendations for sites/stores to order from, hardware, etc?

Thanks in advance
I highly recommend Chromebooks. There are some real beauties out there. There is a Thinkpad version (up to 10 hrs. of battery life):

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... TX132E20GL

Chromebooks operate so efficiently, you don't need Intel's newest 7th generation chip.

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:27 am

JKD GUY wrote:My 7 y/o HP is going downhill and I'm in the market for a quality new one. I've been looking at a Lenovo thinkpad so far from reviews I've read. I guess I'm a typical user and just need something for data/files storage, streaming/surfing the web, and microsoft office applications. I'm wanting to keep it ~$500. Any recommendations for sites/stores to order from, hardware, etc?

Thanks in advance
+1 for the chromebooks.

There are some negative (I am not a fan of the file storage system or not having Office as my primary document editing resource), but I think the positives greatly outweigh them (literally no maintenance, no pop up notifications from Windows or Mac, starts in less than 10 sec, all day battery life, cheap as dirt, integration with google drive).

I think computers are moving in this direction as evidenced by Microsoft's new Windows "lite" OS.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:34 am

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM ... 5-575-33bm

$350.00

15.6" LED display
7th gen intel
1TB HD
4GB RAM
8x DVD drive
Backlit keyboard
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:43 am

Laptop deals in the $500 range come up often on the Slickdeals Laptop forum. I'd monitor this site:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisp ... r=desc&r=1

grp2c

Post by grp2c » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:32 am

I have a macbook air currently. If you mainly use your computer to browse the internet and/or light word processing you could probably get away with just having a chromebook with google drive. I just ordered a samsung chromebook pro.

macheta

Post by macheta » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 am

I would not buy any laptop which does not have an SSD drive instead of the traditional hard drive. The post with the link to the amazon website is showing a nice laptop but it has a mechanical hard drive. These hard drives will slow down your system.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:21 am

grp2c wrote:If you mainly use your computer to browse the internet and/or light word processing you could probably get away with just having a chromebook with google drive.
People who are not that familiar with Chromebooks seem to underestimate what Chromebooks can do. If you have not used a Chromebook, you will be surprised that it can do a lot more than surf the net and do light word processing. It works seamlessly with the entire Google suite, including Gmail, spreadsheets (Sheets), presentation (Slides), word processor (Docs), task management (Keep), communication (Hangouts), music (PlayMusic), Calendar (Google Calendar) and plays well with Chromecast. It works well with Evernote, Kindle and Netflix. Most tax programs have web based versions that work well with Chromebook. Many (but not all) of these programs will work off line.

Where they won't work: If you have a proprietary program that has to be loaded and executed. I have a desktop that I hardly ever use. In the very few cases where I ever need to do this, I simply log into the desktop PC remotely from my Chromebook using "Chrome Remote" which works really well.

Chromebooks have Solid State Drives, not rotating disk type hard drives. Even with lesser processors, they are pretty fast.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks in advance
If you are used to windows as your OS, I would go with a new windows laptop. HP makes good laptops. Go with what you know.

I don't think chromebooks allow for MS office or local storage of data. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:15 pm

You may want to check out Dell Outlet. I recently purchased an 11 inch Inspiron 11 - 3000 Series Laptop for $249 + tax. Using eBates.com, I was also able to get 10% back ($25 Bucks!). Pretty decent little laptop as it's considered a 2-in-1 device, so you can rotate the screen around on itself and use like a touch screen tablet. Also, with 4GB memory, 250 GM HD and Intel Core 6th Generation m3-6Y30 Processor it's pretty snappy. No CD drive, but really who uses those anymore? I have used Dell Outlet for past several computer purchases with no regrets. I always use the scratch & dent option, which is still considered a refurb, but savings is even greater. Can never seem to find any real scratches. :sharebeer Also, same warranty as new. Doubled warranty if you have a credit card that doubles warranty. :moneybag

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Is there anything wrong per se with your laptop? Something specific that its failing/inadequate at? You might be surprised that a 7-yr old full laptop works as well as a cheaper modern Chromebook while tethered.

I'm using a 6-yr old laptop right now - it had some internet connectivity issues with regular dropouts since I was on google's mesh 8021ac which didn't play well with the laptop's older wifi, but a $15 USB wifi dongle fixed it completely and it's clearly fast enough for quality web and office use.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 pm

munemaker wrote:

Thanks in advance
I highly recommend Chromebooks. There are some real beauties out there. There is a Thinkpad version (up to 10 hrs. of battery life):

Chromebooks operate so efficiently, you don't need Intel's newest 7th generation chip.
The only thing that bothers me about Chromebooks is that Google would have all of my data, browsing history, etc. I already use search, gmail, and chrome, so I'm trying to stay away from Google as best as I can. I stopped using google drive and all their apps and have so far managed to stay away from android.

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:31 pm

anoop wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Thanks in advance

The only thing that bothers me about Chromebooks is that Google would have all of my data, browsing history, etc. I already use search, gmail, and chrome, so I'm trying to stay away from Google as best as I can. I stopped using google drive and all their apps and have so far managed to stay away from android.
In all honesty, I think this is an irrational fear and even if it is a rational fear, then I think your solution is irrational.

Just curious, what are you afraid of happening?

And I can promise you, even if google doesn't have your info, someone else will.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 pm

jcavana1 wrote: In all honesty, I think this is an irrational fear and even if it is a rational fear, then I think your solution is irrational.

And I can promise you, even if google doesn't have your info, someone else will.
It's just fear of having my privacy violated at some point. Basically, Google is getting more and more powerful. They know more about you than you know about yourself because they have infinite memory and expert methods to profile to your data.

What is that famous quote -- power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

[I could write a long post here about how the health care system is currently violating privacy in many ways by offering free stuff that you have already paid for, but it would quickly get off topic.]

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:20 pm

jcavana1 wrote:And I can promise you, even if google doesn't have your info, someone else will.
I would have stated this differently:

And I can promise you, even if google doesn't have your info, google will have all your info.

What about an HP Spectre?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Tabulator

Post by Tabulator » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:52 pm

anoop wrote:The only thing that bothers me about Chromebooks is that Google would have all of my data, browsing history, etc. I already use search, gmail, and chrome, so I'm trying to stay away from Google as best as I can. I stopped using google drive and all their apps and have so far managed to stay away from android.
I can't help but comment on this. Chrome OS works great with a wide variety of web-based mail hosts. If I may be blunt, the next step is to drop Gmail like a hot potato. Consider a fee-based but inexpensive mail host whose owners at least believably claim to care about the privacy of their customers. You'll pay one way or another: either one or two bucks a month, or pay by giving up your data to the marketplace. My estimation is that Chrome OS is somewhat more privacy-oriented than Gmail. And you said you're already using Chrome anyway. I'm not saying Chrome OS is a privacy paradise, just that it might not be as terrible as other Google products. Furthermore, Windows 10 might be approximately as invasive as Chrome OS.

I am not trying to defend Google or Microsoft, just trying to point out facts some may not have considered.
jcavana1 wrote:In all honesty, I think this is an irrational fear and even if it is a rational fear, then I think your solution is irrational.
This is a lot like saying it's irrational to care about environmental pollution. It is anyone's privilege not to care about pollution. If you don't care, that's fine. If anyone doesn't care about privacy, that's fine too. But to go one step further and challenge (with a contemptuous tone) someone who explained what he is doing about the problem?
jcavana1 wrote:And I can promise you, even if google doesn't have your info, someone else will.
Other than the implicit message of derision toward someone who is concerned and is taking action, this is not necessarily true. In fact, it is often false: When someone avoids Google and chooses to use a more privacy-oriented alternative product, the information in question will often not get bought and sold as much, or as abusively, as it would have been with Google. This is important to remember. One's choices can and do matter.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
JKD GUY wrote:

I don't think chromebooks allow for MS office or local storage of data. Others will correct me if I am wrong.
You can store data locally on the internal RAM or a SD card, but why would you want to? By storing it in the cloud, it can be accessed from any device anywhere, just by logging in to your Google account. Also, you don't have to worry about backing it up.

As far as MS office, I see the web store has "Office Online" (never used it) stated as free (?) with a 4 star rating. I am sure it does not have all the features of the regular Office package. Why get hung up on Office though? If you use Google's apps, everything works together better. And yes, Google Apps can open most Microsoft documents, although I have run into a few (heavily formatted) that get all jumbled up.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 pm

I had a Lenovo laptop. I would not buy another one. Nor, would I buy any product from HP. My experience with HP was unsatisfactory.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:14 pm

munemaker wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
JKD GUY wrote:

You can store data locally on the internal RAM or a SD card, but why would you want to? By storing it in the cloud, it can be accessed from any device anywhere, just by logging in to your Google account. Also, you don't have to worry about backing it up.

As far as MS office, I see the web store has "Office Online" (never used it) stated as free (?) with a 4 star rating. I am sure it does not have all the features of the regular Office package. Why get hung up on Office though? If you use Google's apps, everything works together better. And yes, Google Apps can open most Microsoft documents, although I have run into a few (heavily formatted) that get all jumbled up.

The answer is I do not like google very much. They have a great search engine, but I am not willing to give them any more information than that. They want to monetize information. I do not want to be monetized, so I don't use their services . My data has is mine.

Google comes up with creepy ideas. Example is Google glasses.

JKD GUY

Post by JKD GUY » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies but I ended up getting a Dell. I found a coupon and got it for 50% off!
"Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow" Proverbs 13:11

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:14 am

Do not get a Chromebook, good luck running Office. There's plenty of good Windows laptops for $500, I suggest going to Bestbuy and taking a look at some. Bestbuy will also match internet prices.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:19 pm

JKD GUY wrote:Thanks for the replies but I ended up getting a Dell. I found a coupon and got it for 50% off!
Wise. Dell is good.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee