Novice for Southwest Companion Pass - Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01

Novice for Southwest Companion Pass - Questions

Post by FB01 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am

Hi all,

My wife already has Chase Southwest card which se got couple of months ago and got 50K points. I got the Southwest Premier card yesterday for 60K points. Now me and my wife are on 4/24 for Chase card.

For getting Companion pass, what is the best way? Should I apply for Plus card and get 60K points even though I got Premier card yesterday.

Question on Companion pass

-Suppose if I apply for Plus card, my companion pass gets activated when I complete my spend of 2K? Is that correct?
-I am not sure how long Companion pass last and will my wife fly free with just using my poitns?

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
FB

kmurp

Re: Novice for Southwest Companion Pass - Questions

Post by kmurp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:59 am

My understanding is you need to spend 110k in a calendar year on the card to get companion. I don't think sign up points count towards that.

Arthur Digby Sellers

Post by Arthur Digby Sellers » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 am

kmurp wrote:My understanding is you need to spend 110k in a calendar year on the card to get companion. I don't think sign up points count towards that.
This is wrong--credit card sign up bonuses DO count towards the 110k points needed in a calendar year to get the pass.

FB01 -- With the 60k point offer, either you or your wife will get the companion pass if you sign up for the Southwest card you don't presently have (for you that would be the Plus--your post does not say which card your wife got earlier this year) and meet the $2k minimum spend. If memory serves me, I think the sign up bonus amount is credited to your account on the date that your billing statement closes after you hit the minimum spend. In other words, if you spend dollar # 2000 on July 1, but your billing statement doesn't close until July 20, I believe the 60k points will be credited to you on July 20. You should receive the companion pass immediately after the bonus points are credited to your account, pushing you over 110k for the year.

The companion pass is good for the calendar year in which it is earned and the following calendar year. So if you earn the companion pass this summer it will expire on 12/31/2018.

FB01

Post by FB01 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Arthur Digby Sellers wrote:
kmurp wrote:My understanding is you need to spend 110k in a calendar year on the card to get companion. I don't think sign up points count towards that.
This is wrong--credit card sign up bonuses DO count towards the 110k points needed in a calendar year to get the pass.

FB01 -- With the 60k point offer, either you or your wife will get the companion pass if you sign up for the Southwest card you don't presently have (for you that would be the Plus--your post does not say which card your wife got earlier this year) and meet the $2k minimum spend. If memory serves me, I think the sign up bonus amount is credited to your account on the date that your billing statement closes after you hit the minimum spend. In other words, if you spend dollar # 2000 on July 1, but your billing statement doesn't close until July 20, I believe the 60k points will be credited to you on July 20. You should receive the companion pass immediately after the bonus points are credited to your account, pushing you over 110k for the year.

The companion pass is good for the calendar year in which it is earned and the following calendar year. So if you earn the companion pass this summer it will expire on 12/31/2018.
So if I apply for Plus, my total points will become 120K Points once I complete my Spend (60K from Premier and 60K from Plus) which means I am eligible for Companion pass.

Question - Now if I book a flight from say from SFO-ATL ..points for travel are 20K..it will use 20K point for me and my wife as my wife will fly free and another 20K for my kid.so for 40K points--we all 3 can travel...is that correct understating??

-FB

SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, math looks correct to me. Another fun point to add: if your wife has any unused SW points, she can book a ticket in your name, and then you can go to your account and add her as the companion. You can also change your companion 3x per calendar year, in case you want to make your kid your companion for a trip. Great way to maximize reward travel.

On a practical note: highly recommend the nonstop from OAK to ATL on SW, much preferred vs. a layover + delays out of SFO!

FB01

Post by FB01 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 pm

SheReadsHere719 wrote:Yes, math looks correct to me. Another fun point to add: if your wife has any unused SW points, she can book a ticket in your name, and then you can go to your account and add her as the companion. You can also change your companion 3x per calendar year, in case you want to make your kid your companion for a trip. Great way to maximize reward travel.

On a practical note: highly recommend the nonstop from OAK to ATL on SW, much preferred vs. a layover + delays out of SFO!

On other note...I had SW credit card 3 years back and I already 55K points already in my Rapid Rewards account. Now I just got 60K points by Premeir credit card now..so my total will become more than 110K once I complete my spend..

Am I eligible for Companion pass or getting the points has to be in the same Calendar year?

-FB

Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:28 pm

No-points must be earned in the same calendar year.

Another tip-- companion can be added at any time as long as any seats are available on the flight. So if you have dates in mind, you can reserve seats for you and your child now and add your wife as companion when you get the cp.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Wow, a lot of good info that I didn't know.

zeep

Post by zeep » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Lots of additional valuable insight on the Southwest forum on flyertalk.com

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 pm

You can also change your companion 3 times. If I remember correctly, I had to claim the CP in my southwest rapid rewards account. I would just book a flight and then call in and add my companion. I ordered tix on mobile app, but I think the full site allows you to add a companion online.

Between the 110,000 points and the CP pass we basically flew for free for 2 years.

FB01

Post by FB01 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:08 pm

SheReadsHere719 wrote:Yes, math looks correct to me. Another fun point to add: if your wife has any unused SW points, she can book a ticket in your name, and then you can go to your account and add her as the companion. You can also change your companion 3x per calendar year, in case you want to make your kid your companion for a trip. Great way to maximize reward travel.

Did not understand what is the advantage of this " if your wife has any unused SW points, she can book a ticket in your name, and then you can go to your account and add her as the companion"...

Can you please explain in detail? My wife has points in her Rapid Rewards account.

-FB

SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

You can actually change 3 times per calendar year, which means up to 6 times during your CP holding period: "The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status."

https://www.southwest.com/html/generate ... s_faq.html

Yes, it’s a little confusing! Steps would be:
1. DW books a flight using points from her Rapid Rewards account
2. DW purchases the flight, but fills out the passenger info as your name
3. This flight then shows up in your SW account since the ticket is in your name
4. Once it shows up in your account, you have the ability to add a companion to the ticket, which is DW

Here is a blog post explaining more: https://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/maximi ... trategies/

“Can you use the Companion Pass when booking with your companion’s points or even someone else’s? Yes. For example, if your spouse has points, but you have the companion pass, your spouse can issue an award booking in your name, and then you can add your spouse as your companion. The same is true of revenue bookings as well if someone else pays for your ticket and then you add them (or someone else) as a companion.”

Note: it is from 2014 so may want to call and confirm with Southwest before booking. I second zeep’s recommendation to check out Flyer Talk, there’s some excellent information there.