Used 2013 Audi A5 or New Honda Accord Sport

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Used 2013 Audi A5 or New Honda Accord Sport

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I have an opportunity to get a used 2013 Audi A5 Quaddro at $15000 at 40k milage from a friend. Test drive it and liked it a lot. AWD makes me very comfortable in handling and performance. In mean while, I could spare 21k for a brand new Honda Accord Sport FWD. It has enough room and very reliable and capable. it is 5k difference. Ownership cost Accord could be lower in the long run. But German car handling experience is also very attractive. Tough decision.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortfree

Re: Use 2013 Audi A5 or New Honda Accord Sport

Post by mortfree »

Accord...

if not the Accord, are you ok losing this person as a friend if you regret this purchase or run into car trouble?
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

My preference would be the Audi. Many others would prefer the Honda. It's a personal decision on what you want to drive.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

I had an Audi A5 that I ordered new in 2013. I got rid of it last November. It was a very nice car--handled great, beautiful interior, great gas mileage. I had zero problems with the car in the 3.5 years that I had it. From what I have heard, I don't think I would want to own a high mileage Audi, but with 40,000 miles, you shouldn't have anything to worry about for a while.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

The Audi will cost more for the long run I foresee. But it handles so well and fuel economy is very impressive (2.0 Turbo direct inject engine) plus the quadtto AWD will make wet and snow handling very well. The Accord handling also very nice on dry pavement and can sit 5 people very comfort. Can easy surpass 200k. From cost and utility point of view, the Accord is unbeatable. But A5 is more fun to drive.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

why is your friend getting rid of it?

Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Going abroad.
denovo

Post by denovo »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Ownership cost Accord could be lower in the long run. But German car handling experience is also very attractive. Tough decision.
No, the ownership cost of the Accord will be lower in the long run, like 99.99 percent probability. OP, here's what you should consider. Look at the depreciation for German cars. They usually lose a significant percent of their value in the first 3-4 years because they are high maintenance with expensive problems. If you want a nice car that handles well, go buy a new one if you can afford it.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I had a 2012 A4 and loved it. I would probably still have it if we hadn't outgrown it. And $15k sounds pretty darn good for that car.

I might buy it, drive it, enjoy it for a little while and then sell it - possibly at a small profit. Then, I would buy the Accord.

However, keep in mind every little part on the Audi will be more money. And, you're going to be out of warranty, so if something does go wrong, it's going to be expensive. Do you feel lucky? Oh, and you're also paying for premium fuel.

The smart money is on the Honda, but if you need to get the German car thing out of your system, then this actually sounds like a decent deal.
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

If you bought both today, which would be worth more at the end of the month? The Audi. I would buy the Audi after I took it to a mechanic.

Regards,
John
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Looks like a solid deal on the Audi with reasonable mileage. If the car was maintained by the book I would roll the dice and buy it knowing you could get out of it down the road without taking a bath. Look for a good local independent shop for maintenance and repairs... Great fun ride for you with a modest entry price.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Some dent on the body but it won't bother me. I care most the powertrain. My friend leave for me to drive for a while. I changed M1 0W-40 oil and air filter. The car drives effortless. Not a muscle car type but very agile considering the small turbo charged engine. Torsen AWD is top notch (better than Subie and Acura AWD). Gas milage is about 30MPH HWY and Local mixed so primium gas doesn't bother me. Hardware is not luxury in my view. Just a entry level luxury German car. It is not a BMW but an all weather commuter vehicle. Sit two adults plus two kids on the back. No major mech issues. The engine and 8 speed triptronic automatic transmission is very smoothly geared. I will give 4 out 5 in my experience.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you really enjoy driving a lot, you are probably going to be happier driving the Audi every day. An Accord is a rock solid car but more of a rolling appliance that effectively gets you from point A to point B. I am not knocking the rolling appliance; I own both the Toyota version (Camry) and the extended capacity version (Odyssey). But I also have something fun to drive on the side.
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

You want the Audi...buy it!

Life is short, and this isn't a massive decision ($15K vs. $21K). If it turns out to be a bad decision, you will still probably be able to sell it for something, and you won't have any wonders about "what if".

Good luck.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Honda just released their Civic type R. The FWD sport sedan has a 2.0L turbo engine which produce 300HP and 250lbin torque. Looks cool and must be fun to drive. The cost is $34500. I guess for that much money, I will go with a used Audi AWD as a daily drive.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Sounds like a very good price for a '13 A5 with 40k miles unless it has an accident history or other issue.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

tim1999 wrote:Sounds like a very good price for a '13 A5 with 40k miles unless it has an accident history or other issue.
Have you checked to see if it has a "salvaged title"? That would be a deal breaker. Resale value drops and dealers will not take on trade. Worth checking.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

You should get the one you like the best / the one that'll make you the happiest.
gma

Post by gma »

I think this is a there's no right answer question. You just have to decide are you willing to put up with potentially more maintenance costs, worse depreciation (although if you're getting a great deal on it, that could help fend this off for some time), but rewarded with (imho) a better drive, better looking car, more prestigious brand. I went from a newer Japanese (Lexus) car to a cheaper, older BMW, and haven't looked back. I liked the Lexus, but there was nothing inspiring about it, and the BMW was just such a more engaging driving experience. But some people don't care about that, and they just want to get from point A to point B safely and reliably, and in that aspect I'm sure the Accord is just as good if not better than the Audi. So basically I'm saying either answer is fine. Me personally, I'd pick the Audi. Also don't be that guy that causes a rift in your relationship, if the Audi becomes a lemon or things didn't turn out as great as you hoped for. Buying used cars can be a risky business (so far I've gone through 2 used cars and haven't had a bad experience yet... although I suspect if I encounter a bad experience I might stop buying used) so do your due diligence and once you sign the contract, there's no turning back.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Id wants the Audi
Superego wants the Accord

Ego (or spouse) will decide? :o
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Seems like the OP has already made up his mind. Not really looking for advice but confirmation that the Audi is the way to go. BTW, I do not agree.
delamer

Post by delamer »

denovo wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote: Ownership cost Accord could be lower in the long run. But German car handling experience is also very attractive. Tough decision.
No, the ownership cost of the Accord will be lower in the long run, like 99.99 percent probability. OP, here's what you should consider. Look at the depreciation for German cars. They usually lose a significant percent of their value in the first 3-4 years because they are high maintenance with expensive problems. If you want a nice car that handles well, go buy a new one if you can afford it.
Wouldn't you buy used if a car loses a lot of its value in the first few years? Let someone else pay for the depreciation by buying new?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

John Laurens wrote:If you bought both today, which would be worth more at the end of the month? The Audi. I would buy the Audi after I took it to a mechanic.

Regards,
John

Very doubtful. Have you checked resale value on Hondas? The Honda will likely always be higher value between the two vehicles presented by the OP.
c078342

Post by c078342 »

A slightly used Audi vs a Honda? Pretty clear choice. We've had a gas A4 for 3.5 years now and love it. Reliable, fun to drive, economical (25 mpg in daily driving.) Comfortable. What's the Honda have to offer? Perhaps reliability, but it's common, boring, and, in general, blah. And why take the depreciation hit on the Honda, when it's taken in the Audi?
denovo

Post by denovo »

delamer wrote:
denovo wrote:
Wouldn't you buy used if a car loses a lot of its value in the first few years? Let someone else pay for the depreciation by buying new?
Only if you think the depreciation is "inefficient" relative to what you think it should be. I think its rational that most German Cars depreciate steeply, while most Japanese cars do not because of the expected cost of maintenance/repairs in the different parts of the lifecycle of those cars.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

Audi. I may be a little biased coming from a 3 Audi household. All three were bought used, no major issues. Am driving an '07 A4 and it's still a great car and I have no urge to car shop. Husband has a 2013 A3 which he's done some modifications on. Very nice car.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

A 2010 A4 will demand $8000. I would say an A5 would worth $8000 3 years from now. if I bought the A5, three year will cost be $7000 if nothing is broken
A 2017 Accord will cost $21000, three years from now will still worth $16000, three year cost will be $5000.

A FWD Accord drive feel quite difference from AWD A5. I will probably get both, one for my DW and one for myself. Switch drive every week. I really don't like spend more than 30K for a sedan.
Cosmo

Re: Used 2013 Audi A5 or New Honda Accord Sport

Post by Cosmo »

I love German engineering. I don't like German engineering repair costs. I'll take the Honda Accord Sport, please...

Cosmo
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

WhiteMaxima wrote:Hardware is not luxury in my view. Just a entry level luxury German car. It is not a BMW but an all weather commuter vehicle.
As an owner of a BMW, this comment surprises me. BMWs are nicely finished with quality materials but relatively utilitarian (which I'm fine with), particularly at the lower end of the spectrum like my 3 series. All the Audi interiors I've sampled--especially in the past 5 years--have been dramatically more elegant/refined than what I'm used to.

Back OT, I'd take the Audi for sure. How cars drive is important to me, and though the Accord drives well for a FWD car, that statement isn't even remotely similar to the same sentence without the italicized part. The distinction here is essentially: practical driver's car vs. practical transportation appliance.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

Keep in mind that the 2017 Accord Sport and the 2017 Accord Sport Special Edition are still available with a 6-speed manual. If you haven't driven either so equipped, you should.

Is it an Audi? No. Is it "just an Accord"? Oh, no: no it is most certainly not...
Polymath.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

ivyhedge wrote:Keep in mind that the 2017 Accord Sport and the 2017 Accord Sport Special Edition are still available with a 6-speed manual. If you haven't driven either so equipped, you should.

Is it an Audi? No. Is it "just an Accord"? Oh, no: no it is most certainly not...
Agree, I have the Accord 6-speed. It's a fun car, at least compared to a Camry :wink:
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I would take the Audi, mainly because I drive an Audi and for $15k, it is well worth the price if in good shape/well maintained. Although these cars are not as reliable compared to the Accord, they should do just fine for the first 80k-100k miles. I would definitely not hold it past 100k unless you are willing to do some of the work yourself. If you plan on keeping the car till it is 10+ years old, I would get the accord because it should not give you any significant/costly issues for the entire duration of ownership.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
queso

Post by queso »

Cosmo wrote:I love German engineering. I don't like German engineering repair costs. I'll take the Honda Accord Sport, please...

Cosmo
+1. I have owned an A4 and an S4 and my wife currently has an Accord Sport. I drive a Pilot and both Audis have been sold. Learned my lesson. :happy
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

sunny_socal wrote:
ivyhedge wrote:Keep in mind that the 2017 Accord Sport and the 2017 Accord Sport Special Edition are still available with a 6-speed manual. If you haven't driven either so equipped, you should.

Agree, I have the Accord 6-speed. It's a fun car, at least compared to a Camry :wink:
If you really want fun, get an Accord coupe with V6 and 6 speed manual...
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Keep in mind that the Accord is getting a big overhaul for 2018. I think they are expected to be released at the end of 2017.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I'v heard the new 2018 accord will have a turned Civic 1.5L engine to start. The dealer will have big discount on the current stock. The 2.4L I4, 6MT to me is very attractive. Very easy to access and repair. Small engine but sufficient powerful. I will probably test drive again to see if the Accord could achieve the 80% of the fun that A5 provides. I would think the a Honda will achieve 10 years 200k mile while an Audi will have to spend some time in dealer service down the road.
fittan

Post by fittan »

STAY AWAY FROM AUDI....similar to you, I bought a 3 year old A4 with 60K miles. Thought I would be "lucky" as I have always had with used car. The A4 just came off warranty, I know the owner, well maintained and have all service records. So I reasoned...my risk is quite low....WRONG.

These cars are overly engineered and very unreliable (what you heard is true). I have steering failure at 60K, cat converter failure at 70K, turbo failure at 80K, wheel bearings failure at 90K and drum roll....sun visor clip broke at 100K. All my years of driving, I never had a visor clip broke. One clip cost $35 and if you look at it you will marvel at how complicated this clip is. It has 2 plastic piece and 1 metal spring. My wife's RAV4 clip is one solid plastic clip...you couldn't break it with a pliers.

I know the itch is hard to resist....my advice is this. If you have extra cash (meaning all your other financial ducks are in order), go ahead and try. If not, this will be an expensive itch to scratch. Good luck.
czr

Post by czr »

That Honda Accord Sport is very spartan and considered lower end compared to the other Accord models (EX, EX-L, Touring) let alone Audi as here are some Cons:

Sluggish 4 cylinder when paired with the ho-hum CVT
Weak 4 Speaker Radio with No HD Radio/XM/Android Auto/Apple Carplay
No Smart Entry
Key for an ignition, no push start
Fake Leather seats
No Homelink
Halogen headlights
No Moonroof
No locking glovebox
Unable to open the trunk from the rear trunklid
No AC Vents in the rear
No turn signal indicators in side mirrors

I love Honda and had the 16 Accord EX 6MT but the Sport is mostly all-show. Audi A5 in this one if you don't need a sedan and you will appreciate the details. Just find a good German indy mechanic but it will be worth it IMO.
Topic Author
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Yes. Audi is engineered by German. Try to change battery or even jump start the car will need 3x amount of time. let alone some other more complicated stuff. Audi driving is 4.5/5 compare to BMW 5/5 vs Accord 4/5. Prestige wise Audi is German car vs Accord rice vehicle. As a BH, an Accord or even Corolla is much more proper. But life is too short not to try some exciting things,
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

WhiteMaxima wrote:Yes. Audi is engineered by German. Try to change battery or even jump start the car will need 3x amount of time. let alone some other more complicated stuff. Audi driving is 4.5/5 compare to BMW 5/5 vs Accord 4/5. Prestige wise Audi is German car vs Accord rice vehicle. As a BH, an Accord or even Corolla is much more proper. But life is too short not to try some exciting things,
For cars, this would similar to: Big Hat, No Cattle. :wink:
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

When I was younger, I went from a 1-year old Acura Integra to a BMW 325i to scratch the "German itch." A mistake? Life lesson at the very least.

Pros:
- The BMW was the best car I'd ever driven. Fantastic car to drive.
- Looked great!
- The inline 6 sounded like a turbine

Cons:
- Very unreliable. Left me stranded several times, required a tow
- Things broke that have NEVER broken on any other vehicle: wheel bearings, radiator, valve lifters, fuel pump, drive shaft
- Almost everything else broke as well: sunroof, steering joints, AC, ignition coils, alternator, water pump

After that experience I went to a Prius, the epitome of a reliable appliance. (Note: Prius is veeeeery boring, I'd never get one again.) The Honda/Toyota reputation for reliability is well deserved. So is the German reputation for wonderful vehicles that are unreliable money pits. :wink:
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Have owned Accords since 1983 and swear by them. I currently have a '16 Accord EX and love it. Never owned an Audi.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
boomer

Post by boomer »

We have owned both an Audi Quattro A4 and now a Honda Accord Coupe. Loved the Audi, and love the Accord. The Audi was over 100K miles when we bought it. As time went on, It definitely needed some repairs. Luckily my spouse is a gifted amateur mechanic, which saved a lot of money. It finally developed a bad oil leak, and we sold it very cheap to another mechanic. But the paint still looked great.

The Audi is a fun car to drive, handles extremely well and is very comfortable. Just be prepared to shell out big money for repairs, if you aren't able to handle them yourself. All of the repairs need a special part or tool or something. :) It also requires special fluids.

We purchased the Honda with less than 20K miles on it, so we are hoping for a lot more reliability. It's a fun car to drive and it's comfortable, too. :)
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

For me it's easy. Go Accord.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Always choose Japan for reliability.
strafe

Post by strafe »

The way you framed the question is telling. Buy the Honda.
Cash

Post by Cash »

I've had a 2013 A6 for a couple of years now with no issues. Would not trade it for an Accord. My wife's BMW, on the other hand...
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

If you "cant decide" between a Honda and an Audi..... Then you should be buying the Honda.

Very different vehicles aimed at very different demographics. Not typically cross shopped.
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

The Audi is much superior vehicle when compared to an Accord, true less reliable however the price difference will compensate for that and you may buy extended warranty with portion of the money.
The Accord is the most boring vehicle on the plant and everyone owns one, Audi's are more exclusive vehicles for sure.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Kenkat wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:

If you really want fun, get an Accord coupe with V6 and 6 speed manual...
That's what I thought until I traded my v6 coupe for an Acura TSX!

I think the TSX is the best of both worlds. Great handling and performance, with Japanese reliability and affordability.