What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
N10sive

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Postby N10sive » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 pm

For synthetic 6 quarts your looking at 36 retail plus 7-10 for a filter. So say 46 dollars to do it yourself.

I don't get synthetic oil but my changes at a dealer are 37 out the door. It does say MSRP like 105. The dealers found out I think they can't charge their rediculous prices since jiffy lube charges so little. What I pay is barely more than what I could do it myself, less hassle for me so I have it done at the dealer despite a lot of people disliking dealerships.

Yes I would say you are paying too much for an oil change. I wouldn't go to a jiffy lube though, as there have been multiple investigations of them not doing the work but still charging. They also try to upsell a lot and again sometimes don't do the work. I would check out a dealership or a reputable cheaper independent shop.

N10sive

Postby N10sive » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote: 2 of our vehicles have Fumoto valves.

For anyone doing your own oil change, this is by far the handiest part you can purchase. When I had a truck I could do oil changes in only the time it took for the oil to drain.

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:00 pm

fittan wrote:hijacking this thread a bit...

I have an advice to give. If you have your oil change at local shop or dealer, make sure you take a visual or picture of your oil filter. I have had experience at Monroe or Meineke where they "forgot" to change filter. That's an easy $10 profit for them. If possible, use a sharpie to mark the filter. For cars with filters that are underneath, you can simply insert iphone under plastic cover to take a picture.

Why would you take your car to a place that you thought you had to resort to that?

Have you ever taken it back to the same place after "catching" them?

lws6772

Postby lws6772 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Never have paid for an oil change, although it's on my bucket list when I get old, only 60 right now.

hmw

Postby hmw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 pm

I paid about $100 for synthetic oil change at a private garage when I lived in MA a few years ago. It cost about the same at a quick lube chain in TX. Our other vehicle uses regular oil and oil change cost about $35 to $50 depending on where I go.

jabberwockOG

Postby jabberwockOG » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm

I always diy oil changes on our cars. Cost is apprx $30 using full syn oil with a quality filter. I do it more for fun than saving money because I enjoy doing most of the basic maint on our cars. I take my time doing oil change and also check out the various other mechanical components/systems. Added benefit is that I know it was done right by someone that actually cares about the car.

IF someday I can't diy anymore, I'd likely take it to the dealer or find a good independent certified mechanic. No way would I use any kind of quicky oil change place - these are almost always staffed by low wage, very inexperienced folks who may actually damage your car due to inattention to detail or just gross incompetence.

poker27

Postby poker27 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I just paid $110 for a synthetic oil change at jiffy lube. While it stung slightly, I can swing by on a weekend and not make an appointment. I don't drive much so only get one every 6-9 months.

gloss151

Postby gloss151 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 pm

To lube the chain its maybe $.10 or perhaps double that if using a dry ptfe lube. I lube the drivetrain every 3 weeks or so. Every month or two I'll use a quarter of a can of break cleaner to completely clean the bikes cassette and chainrings. This is for a 20 year old dura ace drive train.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. -Thoreau

takeshi

Postby takeshi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:28 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:Bonus question :) - which is better, a privately owned garage or a a Jiffy Lube?

For any car service, a reputable shop with reasonable rates whether independent, affiliated with a dealer or other chain. You can't lump all of one type of shop all together in terms of cost, how well you can trust them, etc and can vary widely. Some dealers have great service centers that aren't drastically overpriced, some have poor and/or overpriced service centers. Some independents are good and reasonably priced, some are not. Some chain locations have competent staff, some do not. Ask people local to you for recommendations. Don't overpay but don't obsess just on price either. Saving a few bucks and potentially risking proper work can cost you much more in the long run. Things such as not replacing the oil cap, incorrectly torquing filters and/or drain bolts, not replacing drain bolt crush washer each time, not properly removing a stuck filter gasket, overfilling, underfilling, etc aren't unheard of.

As for whether it's reasonable or not, shop around and compare. The people posting what they pay for oil to do their own changes is irrelevant. There's a premium charged for having someone else do this work. It's a given that if you do it yourself you can pay less for the oil and possibly parts and not have to pay for labor but that doesn't seem to be what you're asking about.

Small Law Survivor wrote:What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

For one of our cars more than you'd want to pay from looking at the numbers in your post but my vehicle choice and preferences probably don't align with yours. However, that will drop a bit now that it's out of warranty and I don't feel like trying to curry favor with the dealer's service center.

I don't have the breakdown for the last service job on the other vehicle so this may have included other work than just an oil & filter change but it was about $87 for the other vehicle.

fittan

Postby fittan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
fittan wrote:hijacking this thread a bit...

I have an advice to give. If you have your oil change at local shop or dealer, make sure you take a visual or picture of your oil filter. I have had experience at Monroe or Meineke where they "forgot" to change filter. That's an easy $10 profit for them. If possible, use a sharpie to mark the filter. For cars with filters that are underneath, you can simply insert iphone under plastic cover to take a picture.

Why would you take your car to a place that you thought you had to resort to that?
Have you ever taken it back to the same place after "catching" them?

Because they are supposedly reputable companies and I have no reason to suspect (unless otherwise). I typically do my own oil change...but just one time (for convenience), I decided to have Monroe (don't remember, perhaps meineke) do it. Since I did the previous oil change, I am aware of the brand of oil filter I had used. After the oil change, when I checked, the old filter is still in place. Brought it right back and tech said he "forgot". And obviously that was the first and last time I use them.

Anyway my point is, always double check after servicing. Check the oil, check the oil filter. Even when you bring in for tire rotation. Use sharpie to mark tires so you know that work has been really been performed.

Wakefield1

Postby Wakefield1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Remember that in a case of dishonest oil filter service someone could have substituted another used oil filter,wiped off to look pretty and swapped for the one removed from your car.
Prefer to either pay a trusted mechanic to do these things or do them myself -although probably costs me more for 6 quarts of Mobil "1" or Valvoline Synpower and a Mobil "1" filter at about $12. than an oil change at the quicky place
also rather than use a "tire place" I like to buy tires from somewhere like "Tire Rack" and have the trusted mechanic mount and do the wheel balance job.
They can control the + and - of the weight tolerance of the wheel balance to a considerable degree of fineness I believe (coarse setting on the machine is quicker out the door)
Expensive houses being built around here-if I had the money to have one of them built for myself I would probably have a greasepit or lift as part of the inhouse garage

JoeJohnson

Postby JoeJohnson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 am

poker27 wrote:I just paid $110 for a synthetic oil change at jiffy lube. While it stung slightly, I can swing by on a weekend and not make an appointment. I don't drive much so only get one every 6-9 months.

Define "...don't drive much..." If you don't drive much, you likely don't need to change your oil every 6-9 months.

FraggleRock

Postby FraggleRock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 pm

$90 every 18 months or approximately every 6700 miles.
Local mechanic.
Audi turbo requires expensive VW oil.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Just got it done today at a quick oil change/car wash place. 2010 Rav-4. 6.5 quarts full synthetic- $80. Then I went for the $12 "nitro wash". Not sure how that was better than the delux wash, but they got me for another $2 with the nitro. Also included free use of a vacuum :!: solid.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

saladdin

Postby saladdin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 pm

5-30 dino
$20 local walmart.

Used to do it myself. Not worth it when supplies would cost me 12-15.

poker27

Postby poker27 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm

JoeJohnson wrote:
poker27 wrote:I just paid $110 for a synthetic oil change at jiffy lube. While it stung slightly, I can swing by on a weekend and not make an appointment. I don't drive much so only get one every 6-9 months.

Define "...don't drive much..." If you don't drive much, you likely don't need to change your oil every 6-9 months.

Maybe 2k miles before I get an oil change. I do live in Chicago, so when I do drive the odds are its stop and go. I could probably push it to 12 months, and may in the future

CyclingDuo

Postby CyclingDuo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:45 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:I live in Massachusetts, and I've had our cars serviced by a local gas station/repair shop. But, the cost of a recent oil change took me by surprise. The total was $96, as follows (numbers rounded):

Filter - $10
Oil - 60
Coolant - 5
labor - 21
Tax - 4
(Discount) - 5

Is this a reasonable cost, or should I look elsewhere, like a Jiffy Lube?

Bonus question :) - which is better, a privately owned garage or a a Jiffy Lube?

Update: Volvo XC70. Synthetic oil - quantity not on invoice, but manual says 5.8 quarts (call it 6 qts)

Changing your cars oil/filter is really one of the simplest, and easiest things you can do as an automobile owner. Instructions are right in the owner's manual. If you need a video, your car model's video is online to see how easy it is. If you can fill your lawnmower with gas, you can change your own oil. Trust me.

Yes, your city will have a household hazardous waste free disposal location where you take your old motor oil.

And yes, you will need to wash your hands when finished. :D

$10-15 tops (less if you buy things in bulk).

That being said, $96 is a good fleecing for sure. That's even a larger mark up than buying a $15 bottle of wine (store purchase) and paying $40 for the same bottle in a restaurant.

Get yourself a jug of coolant. Get your oil weight in a jug. Get a couple of filters. Get a oil drip pan - and have at it. It's easy, refreshing rewarding, and doesn't take too much time at all.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:32 am

Go online to the different shop's websites. I can always find a coupon for $19.99 - $25 for an oil change.

JerryStubak

Postby JerryStubak » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:00 am

How often is everyone getting their oil changed? Some say every 300 miles but that seems a bit excessive. I do around every 5k miles.

Doug E. Dee

Postby Doug E. Dee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I change mine every 5k using M1 oil and filter. Thinking about stretching that to 7.5k.

killjoy2012

Postby killjoy2012 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:I live in Massachusetts, and I've had our cars serviced by a local gas station/repair shop. But, the cost of a recent oil change took me by surprise. The total was $96, as follows (numbers rounded):

Filter - $10
Oil - 60
Coolant - 5
labor - 21
Tax - 4
(Discount) - 5

Is this a reasonable cost, or should I look elsewhere, like a Jiffy Lube?

Bonus question :) - which is better, a privately owned garage or a a Jiffy Lube?

Update: Volvo XC70. Synthetic oil - quantity not on invoice, but manual says 5.8 quarts (call it 6 qts)

OP: Your cost was quite reasonable given the parameters. Your local auto parts store likely sells M1 oil for $9.99/qt, so x6 = $60. $10 for the filter is about right, actually cheap if it was a good filter like a M1 - but they probably used a cheap Fram or equivalent. $21 labor to save you an hour or 2 of your own time, mess, inconvenience - not out of line IMO. So I'd say your price was very reasonable.

Sure, if you're willing to do your own oil changes, a better deal can be had. Walmart sell 5 qts of M1 for $23, and you can often get a $10 MIR on top of that. A good M1 filter is usually $10-15, call it $20 for the 6 qts after MIR, you're at the $35 range... plus 1-2 hours of your time, mess, towels, oil recycling, etc., not including a trip to Walmart, filling out the MIR, hoping the check comes in the mail, etc. Is it worth it? Depends on your skills, and how much you value your time.

I prefer to DIY with the cost savings offsetting the cost of a better oil, like Amsoil, especially in the winter months. But I also drive 20k miles/year, and have to do oil changes on 4 vehicles + several small engines annually. The good/bad with DIY is rarely do I only do an "oil change" - usually includes air filter, sometime trans fluid pan drain & replacement, general cleaning under the hood, etc. etc. DIY oil changes are rarely just oil changes.

c078342

Postby c078342 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:54 pm

You guys have got it made. An oil change for my Porsche Boxster at the dealer is north of $200. But this is also for 11 quarts of Mobil One. I have it done by the dealer for traceability. When a Porsche is sold, most buyers will want to see complete maintenance records. I have not had good luck at the quick lube places -- stripped drain plugs, under/over fill, etc. You get what you pay for.

Flymore

Postby Flymore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Change my oil when the DIC computer gets down to about 12%, suggested by the dealer. It's around 5000 miles.
M1 for $27 from Costco and oil filter about $5.
Pull the car into the garage, take out the plug and take off the filter then go into the house for dinner and beer. :sharebeer
Let oil drain overnight to get every last drop.
Next morning fill the new filter with oil and put it on.
Put in drain plug and fill with oil.
Take used oil to the auto-parts store for recycling.

neilpilot

Postby neilpilot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

c078342 wrote:You guys have got it made. An oil change for my Porsche Boxster at the dealer is north of $200. But this is also for 11 quarts of Mobil One. I have it done by the dealer for traceability. When a Porsche is sold, most buyers will want to see complete maintenance records. I have not had good luck at the quick lube places -- stripped drain plugs, under/over fill, etc. You get what you pay for.

My Mercedes would also be around $200 (8 qts of Mobil 1), but I DIY and the cost is around $50. I change it the way the dealer does, vacuum it out the top rather than remove the drain plug. Google Mityvac. Since my oil filter is in a housing at the top front of the engine, I only need to get under the car if I decide to do an inspection.

If you log all maintenance (I use an Excel spreadsheet) and throw oil & filter receipts into a file, the maintenance records should pass muster. I have no issues selling my 2 prior Porsche with primarily DIY maintenance.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:28 pm

JerryStubak wrote:How often is everyone getting their oil changed? Some say every 300 miles but that seems a bit excessive. I do around every 5k miles.

The manual on my car says to do it every 7500 miles.

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:00 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
JerryStubak wrote:How often is everyone getting their oil changed? Some say every 300 miles but that seems a bit excessive. I do around every 5k miles.

The manual on my car says to do it every 7500 miles.

That's the right answer - do what the manual for your car suggests.

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:03 pm

If I do a change myself, it costs about $40 for 7+ quarts of synthetic and filter. Dealership does them for free until my warranty is over, then they charge about $200 :shock:.

Guess who is doing all of them myself after the warranty is up?

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:08 pm

neilpilot wrote:My Mercedes would also be around $200 (8 qts of Mobil 1), but I DIY and the cost is around $50. I change it the way the dealer does, vacuum it out the top rather than remove the drain plug. Google Mityvac. Since my oil filter is in a housing at the top front of the engine, I only need to get under the car if I decide to do an inspection.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you like the Mityvac? I am planning on ordering one for next year when my dealer changes will no longer be free. I've got the same setup with my Jaguar where the filter is on the top of the engine and there is a factory extraction tube just under the oil fill cap.

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:21 pm

My oldest vehicle says every 3000 miles but since I don't put that on in a given year, I just change it once a year. So technically I change it about every 1000 miles. The other two I change according to the manual or the oil life reading on the instrument cluster gauge. It usually works out to about 5000 miles.

neilpilot

Postby neilpilot » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Traveller wrote:
neilpilot wrote:My Mercedes would also be around $200 (8 qts of Mobil 1), but I DIY and the cost is around $50. I change it the way the dealer does, vacuum it out the top rather than remove the drain plug. Google Mityvac. Since my oil filter is in a housing at the top front of the engine, I only need to get under the car if I decide to do an inspection.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you like the Mityvac? I am planning on ordering one for next year when my dealer changes will no longer be free. I've got the same setup with my Jaguar where the filter is on the top of the engine and there is a factory extraction tube just under the oil fill cap.

I've used a model 7201 Mityvac for 10-15 years, and picked that model for the large 8+ L capacity and it's ability to switch from vacuum to pressure. Bought it on ebay new for $40-50 IIRC. There are other models, including air drive vacuum. Recently I had to tape a tubing joint that developed a vacuum leak, probably due to the unit's age and frequent use (6-8 oil changes a year). Other than that it's been trouble free; I'd buy another if this one quits.

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:11 pm

neilpilot wrote:I've used a model 7201 Mityvac for 10-15 years, and picked that model for the large 8+ L capacity and it's ability to switch from vacuum to pressure. Bought it on ebay new for $40-50 IIRC. There are other models, including air drive vacuum. Recently I had to tape a tubing joint that developed a vacuum leak, probably due to the unit's age and frequent use (6-8 oil changes a year). Other than that it's been trouble free; I'd buy another if this one quits.

Thanks!

mortalsonofmortal

Postby mortalsonofmortal » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Toons wrote:Use the Honda Dealership.
They have coupons quite frequently.
CRV. :happy

Can we get it from their website? I have never got one in mail

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Just had mine changed at the dealership yesterday--filter and full synthetic oil for $79.95. Happens twice a year (or every 5000 miles).

Well worth it imo. *yawn*

G12

Postby G12 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Flymore wrote:Change my oil when the DIC computer gets down to about 12%, suggested by the dealer. It's around 5000 miles.
M1 for $27 from Costco and oil filter about $5.

I get M1 at Costco on sale, filter is ~ 5.20 at AMZ, take it to the dealer, they charge me roughly $12. I don't go down to 12% though, tend to idle a lot so normally around 25% on the OLM, still is usually near 7500 miles.

workingstiff

Postby workingstiff » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm probably crazy, but I spend more to do it myself. I used to have my local Firestone change the oil, and usually could get the $19.99 special. But then I decided it was better to do it myself to make sure it was done right. I have my young son help, and buy name brand oil and filters. Pay about $30 for the oil and filter, plus my time. But it's nice washing my hands afterwards and telling my son that's how a man does it! Yes, I'm a bit crazy.

whr19606

Postby whr19606 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:00 am

Our last oil change at Jiffy Lube cost us over $1,515.

Instead of draining the oil in my Wife's 3-month old car, they drained the transmission and then proceeded to add 5 quarts of oil to the crankcase. Two weeks later the transmission became erratic. Our dealer showed us that the drain plug on the transmisson pan was scratched and had the wrong gasket, while the crankcase drain plug had been untouched (it was the car's first oil change).

Jiffy Lube's legal team (the manager would never speak with us) told us to just re-fill the transmission and drive it and if it failed we could sue them. The dealer also told us that since the car had clearly been driven with a dry transmission, and that some of the parts had been 'burned', the manufacturer would not honor the transmission's 60 month guarantee. We had to engage a lawyer and rent a car for a month. Eventually our insurance company paid for a new transmission (with a 60 month guarantee) and then they sued Jiffy Lube to get their money back.

We lost our $100 deductible, our $500 legal fees, and $915 in unreimbursed car rental costs. The only response we received from Jiffy Lube was the comment "sue us".

Helo80

Postby Helo80 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am

Usually, about $3 per quarter and $5 per filter. I change the oil for everyone in my family's car. In terms of oil changes, I don't trust anybody.

My dad took his truck to a Ford dealership, and somehow, I think they managed to use an impact wrench on the oil filter. Then, the oil drain plug had threads that collapsed when I took off the plugs. The engine has 17,000 miles on it, and he took it twice to the same Ford dealership. I ate the $11 cost of a new oil plug, gladly, without arguing at those a**hats. Thankfully, the oil pan threads were fine.

My dad also took his Toyota, regularly, for the first 60,000 miles to the dealership he bought it from. Again, the oil can (the special oil house Toyota uses now), had He-Man strength tightening on the thing, as well as, the oil plug.

It's utterly and completely ridiculous and goes against any service manual. It's not even funny, because overtightening those parts can cause serious damage to the engine. Just like what a previous poster said about Jiffy Lube, they won't take responsibility.... ever.

I don't belittle peoples chosen occupation, but the oil lube peeps don't take pride in their work, or don't care. I hand tighten oil filters and oil drain plugs and never leak nor struggle to take them off down the road. I'll be honest, it's easy enough and inexpensive enough to change the oil that I would not get a "free" oil change from any dealer. I have witnessed, first hand, too many problems with something as simple as an oil change.

Teague

Postby Teague » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:37 am

whr19606 wrote:Our last oil change at Jiffy Lube cost us over $1,515.

Instead of draining the oil in my Wife's 3-month old car, they drained the transmission and then proceeded to add 5 quarts of oil to the crankcase. Two weeks later the transmission became erratic. Our dealer showed us that the drain plug on the transmisson pan was scratched and had the wrong gasket, while the crankcase drain plug had been untouched (it was the car's first oil change).

Jiffy Lube's legal team (the manager would never speak with us) told us to just re-fill the transmission and drive it and if it failed we could sue them. The dealer also told us that since the car had clearly been driven with a dry transmission, and that some of the parts had been 'burned', the manufacturer would not honor the transmission's 60 month guarantee. We had to engage a lawyer and rent a car for a month. Eventually our insurance company paid for a new transmission (with a 60 month guarantee) and then they sued Jiffy Lube to get their money back.

We lost our $100 deductible, our $500 legal fees, and $915 in unreimbursed car rental costs. The only response we received from Jiffy Lube was the comment "sue us".

Sue them in small claims court for your outstanding damages? Sounds like it might be a slam dunk what with all the documentation you must have at this point.

William4u

Postby William4u » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Helo80 wrote:Usually, about $3 per quarter and $5 per filter. I change the oil for everyone in my family's car. In terms of oil changes, I don't trust anybody.

My dad took his truck to a Ford dealership, and somehow, I think they managed to use an impact wrench on the oil filter. Then, the oil drain plug had threads that collapsed when I took off the plugs. The engine has 17,000 miles on it, and he took it twice to the same Ford dealership. I ate the $11 cost of a new oil plug, gladly, without arguing at those a**hats. Thankfully, the oil pan threads were fine.

My dad also took his Toyota, regularly, for the first 60,000 miles to the dealership he bought it from. Again, the oil can (the special oil house Toyota uses now), had He-Man strength tightening on the thing, as well as, the oil plug.

It's utterly and completely ridiculous and goes against any service manual. It's not even funny, because overtightening those parts can cause serious damage to the engine. Just like what a previous poster said about Jiffy Lube, they won't take responsibility.... ever.

I don't belittle peoples chosen occupation, but the oil lube peeps don't take pride in their work, or don't care. I hand tighten oil filters and oil drain plugs and never leak nor struggle to take them off down the road. I'll be honest, it's easy enough and inexpensive enough to change the oil that I would not get a "free" oil change from any dealer. I have witnessed, first hand, too many problems with something as simple as an oil change.

And dealerships tend to just use the cheapest oil they can find in bulk. Toyota dealers do not use the (excellent) Toyota brand synthetic, which is expensive for them. They just buy any cheap API oil in bulk (which isn't bad oil, but it isn't the good stuff either).

I change my own oil, and with rebate you can often get very good oil for 10-12 bucks for 5 quarts. You can also bring your own oil to the dealer and ask them to use it. So right now you could buy Pennzoil Platinum with a $10 rebate and get a 5 quart for $12-14 bucks. I just bought 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $12 after rebate.

wander

Postby wander » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Best is to do it by yourself. If you cannot do it yourself, take it to a trusted mechanic (I heard story of people had to replace the oil pan because the oil plug was over torqued). Make friend with that trusted mechanic because he will save you a lot of headache later on. :sharebeer

fourwheelcycle

Postby fourwheelcycle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:54 pm

I bring my own oil and filter to the dealer. Seven quarts of synthetic oil costs me $73, plus $11 for the filter, plus a $30 labor charge from the dealer, equals $114. It ain't cheap!

snowman

Postby snowman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

William4u wrote:
And dealerships tend to just use the cheapest oil they can find in bulk. Toyota dealers do not use the (excellent) Toyota brand synthetic, which is expensive for them. They just buy any cheap API oil in bulk (which isn't bad oil, but it isn't the good stuff either).

Good point, I don't think public is aware that this is very common practice across many brands. Dealerships need to make money, and one of the easiest ways to cut costs is not buying manufacturer's own brand of oil. They always do use manufacturer's oil filter though.

When it comes to oil, for example, they tend to buy in bulk from the lowest cost provider, and they tend to bid it out periodically to keep the costs down.

Same goes for other fluids, like transfer case, differentials, power steering, and transmission. For example, while Nissan recommends 3 different types/weights of fluids for each - front diff, transfer case, and rear diff - the dealerships will have a "mix" in bulk that goes into all three. For warranty work, they will buy their own brand fluids from the parts dept., but will also charge customer more for using their own fluids. Most people don't know that.

They also tend to not change gaskets, unless it's warranty work, or customer specifically asks for it. The purpose behind this practice is to save time and money - critical components behind quick oil changes advertised by dealerships. 99% of the time this will not cause a problem, so the cost/benefit analysis is valid. If leak develops, they fix it quickly for free if customer comes back. Customer is satisfied and will likely return in the future, especially if new coupon is mailed out to his/her residence.

You could do a lot worse than have the fluids changed at your dealership - like Jiffy Lube etc. - but you are not getting what you think you are getting there. Outside of doing it yourself or having a trusted local mechanic doing it for you, it's the best choice for most people.

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:44 pm

snowman wrote:
William4u wrote:

Good point, I don't think public is aware that this is very common practice across many brands. Dealerships need to make money, and one of the easiest ways to cut costs is not buying manufacturer's own brand of oil. They always do use manufacturer's oil filter though.

Dealers do NOT always use manufacturer filters. My oil was changed - in prepping a manufacturer-Certified used car no less - with a no-name generic filter.

Helo80

Postby Helo80 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:39 pm

William4u wrote:And dealerships tend to just use the cheapest oil they can find in bulk. Toyota dealers do not use the (excellent) Toyota brand synthetic, which is expensive for them. They just buy any cheap API oil in bulk (which isn't bad oil, but it isn't the good stuff either).

I change my own oil, and with rebate you can often get very good oil for 10-12 bucks for 5 quarts. You can also bring your own oil to the dealer and ask them to use it. So right now you could buy Pennzoil Platinum with a $10 rebate and get a 5 quart for $12-14 bucks. I just bought 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $12 after rebate.

Yup --- I'm using the 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum made with natural gas stuff for $12.50 for 5 quarts for Toyota's. It's supposed to be some of the best stuff out there.

Helo80

Postby Helo80 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:41 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:I bring my own oil and filter to the dealer. Seven quarts of synthetic oil costs me $73, plus $11 for the filter, plus a $30 labor charge from the dealer, equals $114. It ain't cheap!

The only oil I know that costs that much per quart is Royal Purple and the Mobil 0w-30 (?) ESP.

What engine is this for?

snowman

Postby snowman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:53 pm

tibbitts wrote:
snowman wrote:
William4u wrote:

Dealers do NOT always use manufacturer filters. My oil was changed - in prepping a manufacturer-Certified used car no less - with a no-name generic filter.

Good catch - I should have said "almost always", since 100% stuff never happens in real world. The reason why they almost always use manufacturer's filter is to scare the customer from going elsewhere for oil change, because other shops don't use "genuine" oil filter, therefore increasing the "risk of engine damage".

What you experienced is atypical, since it's very easy to find out whether dealership used materials it claimed to use. It's impossible to do that with any fluid used. Honestly, I am surprised they did that to you.

Toons

Postby Toons » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:36 pm

mortalsonofmortal wrote:
Toons wrote:Use the Honda Dealership.
They have coupons quite frequently.
CRV. :happy

Can we get it from their website? I have never got one in mail

I don't see why your dealership would not have something like this :happy

http://www.johnsoncityhonda.com/car-cou ... on-city-tn
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:43 pm

whr19606 wrote:Our last oil change at Jiffy Lube cost us over $1,515.

Had a similar experience with Jiffy Lube, although it only cost me about $100. Just went there to have them put my snow wheels/tires on. Did not have access to a garage at the time and it was snowing, otherwise I would have done it myself. Somehow they managed to completely strip 3 lug nuts and I had no idea until 2 days later when I got a nail in a tire and stopped at a tire shop to get it patched. Jiffy Lube never said a thing, but did charge me $30 for rotating my tires. Tire shop couldn't get the tire off because there were two completely stripped lug nuts. I think they ultimately cut the bolts completely off and replaced them. As a courtesy, they checked the other wheels, and sure enough, a lug nut on another tire was totally stripped as well and they replaced that bolt as well. The manager told me that I needed to go directly to the Jiffy Lube with my receipt and demand that they reimburse me for the bolts they just had to replace; the manager of the tire shop even took the courtesy and called them to tell them the issue and that I was coming right over. He said he's seen the issue more times than he could count. When I got to Jiffy Lube, the manager told me that I could try to sue them, but they weren't doing a thing.

First and last time I will ever give them my money.

strafe

Postby strafe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:54 pm

I spend about $20 to do it myself:
5qt synthetic oil (either M1 or Pennzoil after rebate) - $12
Filter - $8

Time - about 30 min, which is less than I would spend driving to/from a shop and waiting, and I know it's done right

William4u

Postby William4u » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 pm

strafe wrote:I spend about $20 to do it myself:
5qt synthetic oil (either M1 or Pennzoil after rebate) - $12
Filter - $8

Time - about 30 min, which is less than I would spend driving to/from a shop and waiting, and I know it's done right

Yup. This is almost exactly what I do, except I use $6 Fram Ultra filters and run them 2-3 OCIs per filter (since the filters easily do 20k miles).

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”