What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fourwheelcycle

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Helo80 wrote:The only oil I know that costs that much per quart is Royal Purple and the Mobil 0w-30 (?)

Castrol 06037 EDGE 5W-30 European Formula (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-Approval 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00)

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Jiffy Lube horror stories are pretty frightening. Glad I asked ... :happy

Small Law Survivor

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 am

gloss151 wrote:To lube the chain its maybe $.10 or perhaps double that if using a dry ptfe lube. I lube the drivetrain every 3 weeks or so. Every month or two I'll use a quarter of a can of break cleaner to completely clean the bikes cassette and chainrings. This is for a 20 year old dura ace drive train.

Ha! I ride a mountain bike and prefer to ride rather than maintain or clean. After 10 or 20 rides, the chain starts singing, so I'll squirt water on it from my camelbak to get through the ride. I'll oil the chain before riding again...with whatever kind of regular oil I can find...then I'll wipe down the chain. I check the chain wear and usually replace it once a year. SRAM PC 971 Chain - 9-Speed...about $19. http://www.jensonusa.com/!fMFNER4v5v9V2 ... oCm4Xw_wcB

Tundra Oil Change: The oil change guy, whom I've known and trusted for years, said that his Lube + trade publication showed that the Tundra is the #1 slowest/hardest oil and filter change. ( http://www.aoca.org/page/Lube) We then walked into the oil change pit and he showed me that the mechanic had removed a skid plate...8 bolts...before changing the filter. The manual says change every 10K miles and use synthetic. He then handed me my bill..
Full Service Oil Change $34.95
Havoline Pro DS 0W-20...8 quarts...$23.97
Synthetic Oil Charge...$26.00
Total including state sales tax...$94.92

For most of my adult life, I've changed my own oil...but the new style oil filters give me heartburn. I've found that many times changing the oil helps me solve little problems before they become big ones. Here's a YouTube video of a laid back gentleman demonstrating a Tundra oil and filter change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRO-685BpM

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am

I paid $59.99 before a $5.00 mail coupon at Valvoline, for our Mazda CX-5. It included a synthetic blend (Valvoline Maxlife, 0W20).

I had never gone to this location while it was branded as Valvoline (the store formerly belonged to a chain called Oil Can Henry's) and was a little surprised at how expensive it was, after I had driven up (full synthetic oil would have been more). It's definitely convenient, to stay in the car while the work is done.

They topped off my antifreeze, also.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:47 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Helo80 wrote:The only oil I know that costs that much per quart is Royal Purple and the Mobil 0w-30 (?)

Castrol 06037 EDGE 5W-30 European Formula (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-Approval 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00)

Yup. That European blend will do it to you.

Fortunately, I was able to stock up on that stuff last for about 6 dollars per quart after rebate through Amazon and Mobil 1's oil rebate.Those Mercedes Sprinter engines I think are 14L if memory serves making them a several hundred dollar oil change at any euro or MB authorized shop.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:50 pm

The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Helo80 wrote:[MB authorized shop.

Assuming you exclude Mercedes dealers, what do you mean?

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Helo80 wrote:[MB authorized shop.

Assuming you exclude Mercedes dealers, what do you mean?

That's what I meant... MB dealers. Maybe other shops can become authorized as well.... IDK...

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:26 am

GTBuzz wrote:$0. I drive an electric car. :happy

+1 We also save time, making appointments, getting a loaner car at the dealership, or having somebody pick you up and take you back to pick up the car. It's one thing that we electric car owners never have to think about ever again!
The problem with jiffy lubes type places, you have to keep the receipt for warranty purposes, and do people really trust Jiffy Lube!? Still, 20 minutes is 20 minutes. I have better things to do with my time, no matter how small.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

keaton

Post by keaton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:57 am

07 Audi A4 2.0t S-line Avant:
Rotella T6 5w-40 and a filter for about $27 bucks

My OCI is 5K miles at the moment due to the 2.0T having high wear on the High pressure fuel pump lifter. If it wasn't for that design flaw, I would be at 10K OCI like ever other vehicle...

To the guy that stated Audi needs "special" oil, it's just the rating and most quality oils have the spec. It's been found that Audi dealers have actually used incorrect spec oil due to cost. You have to keep in mind that a dealership is privately owned so they can use whatever oil they want! Dealerships are nothing more then a branded independent shop that sells you parts and labor for straight MSRP. It is the worst business model for the consumer.

For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 am

jabberwockOG wrote:I always diy oil changes on our cars. Cost is apprx $30 using full syn oil with a quality filter. I do it more for fun than saving money because I enjoy doing most of the basic maint on our cars. I take my time doing oil change and also check out the various other mechanical components/systems. Added benefit is that I know it was done right by someone that actually cares about the car.

IF someday I can't diy anymore, I'd likely take it to the dealer or find a good independent certified mechanic. No way would I use any kind of quicky oil change place - these are almost always staffed by low wage, very inexperienced folks who may actually damage your car due to inattention to detail or just gross incompetence.

Same here. I do it myself because I like to and it gives me a chance to check over everything else. It also is faster, since I can do either car in about 20 minutes and even going to a quick lube its a minimum hour+ commitment including driving time, and the dealer somehow manages to make it into a multi-hour affair.

But I agree its no longer a cost savings. My MIL has her Civic changed at the HOnda dealer with synthetic 0W-20 for cheaper than I can buy the oil retail. They must get some really big bulk discounts.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 am

keaton wrote:For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious about this.

What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?

mxs

Post by mxs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 am

I always go to Walmart for a 5 Quart jug of Mobil 1 ( ~$25 ) Extended Performance, Regular if Extended is not available and usually get a Fram Tough Guard ( ~$7 ) filter if available or Extra Guard ( ~$5 ) filter if not. That puts me close to $30-$33 OTD. I was not aware of the $12-$15 rebate from Mobil 1, I am assuming that is good when bought from Walmart, correct? I will have to remember that rebate going forward. I had never heard of a Fumoto valve until this thread, I am interested now.

OP, you are paying too much.

I would follow what the owner's manual says about oil change intervals. My 2004 Olds Alero says 5,000 miles. I change mine in spring and fall when the weather isn't too hot and that works out well mileage wise. Many new vehicles are going to 7,500 or even 10,000 miles. I was a little skeptical when I first heard this, but you have to remember that engineers are coming up with that suggestion and the vehicle manufacturers probably wouldn't suggest such a long interval if their engines couldn't handle it. Once a year is probably the longest I would go no matter what. Twice a year lets you feel that much more confident and gives you a good time to check all the other fluids.

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 am

Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

$38.01 at O'Reillys -- 1 gallon Pennzoil 5w-20 and a Wix filter.

Took me 10 minutes, maybe a new record.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:19 am

IFRider wrote:Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

Be sure to look for the mail in rebate coupons from Oreilly's. They really do honor them and it costs a stamp and 3 min to fill out the form, I've gotten about $40 back so far. Last week, Valvoline Synpower and a Wix filter was on sale for $33 with a $10 mail in rebate.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 am

madbrain wrote:The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.

Amazing!

Perhaps they are proud of the free coffee in their waiting lounge and want to ensure that you get a cup :beer

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

barnaclebob wrote:
IFRider wrote:Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

Be sure to look for the mail in rebate coupons from Oreilly's. They really do honor them and it costs a stamp and 3 min to fill out the form, I've gotten about $40 back so far. Last week, Valvoline Synpower and a Wix filter was on sale for $33 with a $10 mail in rebate.

Thank you for that heads up. :sharebeer

That's more than I usually pay, but I wanted to switch to that filter.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 am

madbrain wrote:The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.

Lucky you. Tesla has never sent me a free oil change coupon!
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am

Volvo dealer - I've dealt with them for 22 years and have never had anything recommended that was not needed (assessed by my shade tree mechanic background :wink: ). 8 quarts full synthetic Castrol Edge Professional and a Volvo OEM filter plus assundry gaskets and complete car inspection including any software updates. $98. Worth it to save me from back pain, cost of loads of shower soap and replaced carpet from tracking oil in the house, and besides - gives me more time for imbibing adult beverages. Well, at least the first part of that is true. :D
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 am

Depend on the vehicle you deal with. Some of my vehicles engine bay is very easy to access, so I prefer to change oil myself. Just material cost. Some of my vehicle are are hard and must get access from below. I will just bring the car to mechanics and provide filter and oil. Pay them $20 labor to do it.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 am

researcher wrote:
keaton wrote:For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious about this.

What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?

I can't speak for Keaton, but I've been using a Mytevac extractor for years. Advantages include ability to change oil without driving car on a ramp, removing bottom shield (on one of my cars) to access oil pan drain plug, removing plug, draining oil in a pan which I found more likely to result in spillage, buying a new drain plug gasket, pouring used oil into container(s) for disposal which once again resulted in more spillage potential.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Leif wrote:

Lucky you. Tesla has never sent me a free oil change coupon!

You should complain !

Nissan sent me free oil change coupons for my 100% electric 2012 Nissan Leaf in the past, too.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:06 pm

~$24 gets my oil and filter change done for me while I get some grocery shopping done across the parking lot ($18.99 + a bit extra for the extra qt above the "5 qt included", plus taxes). Doing it myself would take me ~20 minutes of my time and save me about $4 if I got my oil/filter on sale most of the time. I'll pay the extra to let someone else do the work for me while I get other stuff taken care of. Well worth the extra $4 to me. If I ever get a car that needs synthetic oil again (and prices haven't gotten reasonable to have that changed out for me by then) I'll probably go back to doing my own oil changes as that saved me ~$50-75 an oil change (depending on local deals/specials) back when I had a car running synthetic.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17 pm

JerryStubak wrote:Some say every 300 miles but that seems a bit excessive.

That is more than a bit excessive. Many race cars don't have their oil changed that frequently.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:38 pm

researcher wrote:What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?

It varies a bit depending on the vehicle's layout. In descending order of hassle:

--On my father-in-law's Murano, I can skip the oil drain pan. I might be able to skip jacking it up by turning the wheel all the way to the right, will try that next time.
--On my wife's Lexus, I don't need the large drain pan (small pitcher will suffice) and I don't have to jack the car up
--On my BMW, I could do a full oil change in a 3-piece suit, because the filter is on top of the engine. No pan or jack required.

In all cases it's less hassle to change with an extractor. It usually takes longer to get the oil out, but you don't have to be present for any part of the process, so that doesn't really matter.

Back to the original question, I do all my own changes. It costs me anywhere from $40-70 to do so. Amsoil full synthetic in all cases. Mann filter for the BMW, Toyota for the Lexus, and Wix for the Nissan. If I used cheap oil and filters (typical of most quick-lube places), the range would probably be more like $15-30.

William4u

Post by William4u » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

mxs wrote: I was not aware of the $12-$15 rebate from Mobil 1, I am assuming that is good when bought from Walmart, correct? I will have to remember that rebate going forward.

Pennzoil and Mobil 1 run a $10-12 rebate for 5 quarts roughly 6 months out of any one year. Pennzoil has one running right now, and Quaker State. Mobile 1 had one run until May 31. There are many other rebates and sales. One good place to learn about them is at the bobistheoilguy forum. They have a sub-forum dedicated to oil rebates. The internet has something for any interest, even a forum dedicated to oil rebates!

katwillny

Post by katwillny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:38 pm

It seems a bit high, but then again I have been doing my own oil changes for over 20 years. I get Amsoil synth oil and filter and do it every 15k miles. The oil I get is rated for 25k miles but I just don't feel waiting that long. I usually pay $29 for all materials and on average it takes me 15 minutes to do. Same with wife's car. I try to do all regular maintenance myself, I feel better knowing the job was done right.

Indexboss

Post by Indexboss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm

I change oil myself, but many modern cars are switching to expensive 0W-20 synthetic only oils for fuel efficiency standards. The cost to buy 5-6 quarts is about $40-50. An OEM filter costs around $10.00 or so. At least most modern cars have 10,000 mile intervals.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Indexboss wrote:I change oil myself, but many modern cars are switching to expensive 0W-20 synthetic only oils for fuel efficiency standards. The cost to buy 5-6 quarts is about $40-50. An OEM filter costs around $10.00 or so. At least most modern cars have 10,000 mile intervals.

I just bought 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0w-20 $22.88 each BEFORE rebate. I would say that you may loose your standing as a true Boglehead if you regularly pay $40-50 for that item.

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Nothing special economy car and minivan.

About $40 per.

If we shopped around, we could go for $20 per.

We trust this place, as they do all our repairs. Without asking, they offer what must be repaired vs. what can wait.