What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:05 am

I live in Massachusetts, and I've had our cars serviced by a local gas station/repair shop. But, the cost of a recent oil change took me by surprise. The total was $96, as follows (numbers rounded):

Filter - $10
Oil - 60
Coolant - 5
labor - 21
Tax - 4
(Discount) - 5

Is this a reasonable cost, or should I look elsewhere, like a Jiffy Lube?

Bonus question :) - which is better, a privately owned garage or a a Jiffy Lube?

Update: Volvo XC70. Synthetic oil - quantity not on invoice, but manual says 5.8 quarts (call it 6 qts)
Last edited by Small Law Survivor on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mortfree
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by mortfree » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 am

$34.95 at a Honda Dealer in PA





.

User avatar
BogleMelon
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am

I always look for the $19.99 offer. A friend of mine found a $9.99 offer couple of days ago!
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

kjvmartin
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am

My local Mazda dealer charges me $34.99 out the door.

I'm not sure how that breaks down, but that does include a $5 coupon I usually get in the mail every couple months. I change at 5k intervals.

Once I was in the neighborhood, so I pulled into a drive-thru Jiffy Lube (Valvoline) shop for an oil change not long ago. I asked the price, it was around $80. I told them that the dealership only charges $34.99 and he said "time is money, go ahead and wait all day there." I told him the dealer schedules appointments and I never wait very long at all. He had no good answer to justify his pricing, so off I went.

jbuzolich
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by jbuzolich » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 am

That seems really high to me but would also depend on the type of vehicle and how much oil is needed. My wife's Highlander always costs more than my previous car because it held about 1.5 quarts more than the limit of whatever is included with a regular change. Anyway just had my Subaru done last Friday and it was $60 flat including taxes and fees and that was for full synthetic required by the manufacturer and a tire rotation at the same time. I don't bother having them check the other fluid levels.

Bob-a-job
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:25 am
Location: NH

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Bob-a-job » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:14 am

Just had my oil changed and Inspection at my local garage in NH and paid around $90 for the oil change. Used to use a Jiffy Lube years ago to save money, but would rather go to one place for all car maintenance. (Oil changes can be a loss leader at some garages)

User avatar
DesertOasis
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by DesertOasis » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 am

I just paid $25 at a privately owned garage in Greater Boston. I was in and out in less than an hour. I have been going to the same place for maintenance and repairs for over 20 years and I am friendly with the owner.

Stupendous
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Stupendous » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22 am

I do it myself so whatever the cost of Mobil 1 is at Walmart and a good oil filter from wherever. I installed a fumoto valve on my truck and car so it's easy. Paid $85 for 10 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for my truck.

Atgard
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Atgard » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22 am

Totally depends on the type of car. Some use synthetic oil, some use more than 5 quarts, some these days even have dry-sump oil systems that take 11 quartz of synthetic oil and have more labor involved. So they can range from $20 (normal) to $80 (synthetic) to $250 (dry sump).

abner kravitz
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am
Location: Beaufort County, SC

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:24 am

I pay around $65 which includes tire rotation. Regular oil, not synthetic. I could probably shop around but the convenience factor is high where I go.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 5601
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 am

Atgard wrote:Totally depends on the type of car. Some use synthetic oil, some use more than 5 quarts, some these days even have dry-sump oil systems that take 11 quartz of synthetic oil and have more labor involved. So they can range from $20 (normal) to $80 (synthetic) to $250 (dry sump).
Besides Porsche, I'd be curious what other street cars use a dry sump.

Most newer cars require synthetic. If a very new car, it's going to require 0W 20 for MPG reasons and that's only available as synthetic.

Typical oil change for me:

Oil, synthetic on sale $24
Filter $7

That's about it. I change it myself (I have a lift) and then mix the used oil with diesel fuel and run it in my tractor, so save on a gallon of diesel (about $2.50) every oil change. 2 of our vehicles have Fumoto valves.

I would NEVER use Jiffy Lube, even if I had lifetime free changes. I have heard way too many stories of incompetence from these places. If I needed to have someone else change my oil, it would be either a competent local mechanic (I have one of them for things I can't do) or a specialist for the brand of car (I have one of those too).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rkhusky
Posts: 4306
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by rkhusky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 am

I usually pay about $35 at dealer or at quick lube. Dealer takes 1-2 hours. Quick lube 15-20 minutes.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 am

Stupendous wrote:I do it myself so whatever the cost of Mobil 1 is at Walmart and a good oil filter from wherever. I installed a fumoto valve on my truck and car so it's easy. Paid $85 for 10 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for my truck.
Same here, I have a Fumoto valve on all our vehicles. Mobil1 comes from Wally World or Costco when on sale (~$26/6qt)

snowman
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by snowman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 am

I do it myself, here are my costs:

Synthetic Mobil 1 oil 5q jug - on sale at Walmart for $23, minus $12 rebate from Mobil 1, equals $11.
High quality oil filter - $4 on sale (Amazon or RockAuto).
Total - $15.

I do it whenever it fits my schedule, it's quick, easy, done right.

Now if you cannot (or don't want to) do it yourself, you can still get better deal than the one you posted. They most definitely overcharged you on oil - $60 is insane if you could get it for $11 yourself. I suspect your car uses 0W-20, which is synthetic, and the shop marks it up 300%.

You can either find good local mechanic and bring oil and filter to them, so all you do is settle on labor rate. That way you know exactly what your cost of oil change is going to be every time.

Or, alternatively, you can go to local dealership, they generally tend to run coupons for $29.99 or less, even for 0W-20 oil. Their business model is to up sell you while there, so just make sure you say no to those efforts.

I would never go to Jiffy Lube etc. Fortunately, there is no reason to anymore.

AlohaJoe
Posts: 2413
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:05 am

I paid $4.40 the last time my oil was changed.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 6188
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 am

You really need to give us a frame of reference. How many quarts of oil and was it conventional or synthetic?

GTBuzz
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by GTBuzz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

$0. I drive an electric car. :happy

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 am

To answer your bonus question: last time I went to a Jiffy Lube they tried to up-sell me on everything under the sun (Air filter, cabin filter, etc.) and had even taken out my air filter without me asking them to; opened up and check my transmissions fluid, etc. Having a young-kid dig around in my car when all I asked for was a simple oil change really annoyed me - he may have dirtied my transmission fluid in unnecessarily checking it. I'll never go back. Personally, contrary to common belief about dealerships being so expensive - I have found that the dealerships I go to are right in line with the private garages in my local area so I simply go to them for oil changes (and I'm relatively sure I'm not getting a cheaper OEM Oil-filter by doing so - at the private garages - you typically get generic filters).

snowman
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by snowman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am

In my post, I forgot to mention I don't like the coolant charge there at all! They probably told you it was too low. Not sure if they asked for your permission or not, but you check coolant level (and add if necessary) when the engine is cold. They should not have touched it. And I also assume whatever they added was "generic" fluid, not brand specific, introducing potential problem down the road.

It's things like these that give shops bad rep. That $5 is pure profit for them. They do the same with power steering fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid. Not only do they add fluids where none need to be added, they sometimes mix them up. They break plastic clips when changing air filter that doesn't need to be changed, while overcharging you for "convenience". They put cabin air filter upside down and mark up the price of cheapest filter they can get their hands on up to 1,000%.

klw084
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by klw084 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:37 am

I have an interesting story regarding this topic.

When I purchased my last car, a 2013 Honda Accord, there was an offer for bulk oil changes for 2 years. If you purchased it and, as the salesman said, get your oil changed every 3-4 months, it's a great deal for the 2 years the offer is in effect. Since I normally changed my oil when the dealer told me to, I agreed it was a good deal and so I purchased this option.

After three months, the first time I tried to change my oil and called the service department to schedule maintenance, the response I got was, what does your oil indicator say? I guess more modern cars now have an oil indicator that tells you the percentage of oil life you have left and their recommendation was to not get the oil changed until there was around 15% oil life left. So they refused to service my car.

This was news to me and I realized that I had been somewhat hoodwinked when I purchased the 2 year oil change option. So, I got my car oil changed when the car told me to.

When the 2 years were up the next time I brought my car in for an oil change, suddenly the dealer reverted back to the "you need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months" line.

I hope the lesson I learned that day can help others on this forum. You do not need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months. Most modern cars now have an oil life indicator. There is no need to get your oil changed until the indicator goes off.

I get synthetic oil put in my car so I can go longer without oil changes. I usually go well over a year before I get my oil changed now. Furthermore, I get my tires rotated at the same time they change my oil (at a local garage I trust, no longer at the dealer). The total price is around 80 bucks. This and the major maintenance at 30k is the only thing I do on all my family cars now.

Short term thinking on the dealer's part. They taught me a good lesson and, while I did pay for it, in the long run they wound up saving me tremendously more money at their expense by educating me on not taking their "recommendations" at face value and what actually is and is not necessary.

fittan
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by fittan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:43 am

For my 2008 RAV4, I just buy synthetic oil and filter from autozone and change it myself. They always have promo and it costs about $30 plus tax. Synthetic is good for 10K miles or about 8 months.

For my 2014 Highlander, I would have Toyota change it. The first reason is that it takes 6.5 qt. If I do it myself, I would have to buy 2 container of oil from Autozone. The second reason is that my local Toyota dealer provides free breakfast, coffee, donuts etc for any service. So my whole family would be there...almost like a mini outing. The total comes up to $53 (tax included) so I think for the convenience and price, it is a good value.

Swansea
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Swansea » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 am

klw084 wrote:I have an interesting story regarding this topic.

When I purchased my last car, a 2013 Honda Accord, there was an offer for bulk oil changes for 2 years. If you purchased it and, as the salesman said, get your oil changed every 3-4 months, it's a great deal for the 2 years the offer is in effect. Since I normally changed my oil when the dealer told me to, I agreed it was a good deal and so I purchased this option.

After three months, the first time I tried to change my oil and called the service department to schedule maintenance, the response I got was, what does your oil indicator say? I guess more modern cars now have an oil indicator that tells you the percentage of oil life you have left and their recommendation was to not get the oil changed until there was around 15% oil life left. So they refused to service my car.

This was news to me and I realized that I had been somewhat hoodwinked when I purchased the 2 year oil change option. So, I got my car oil changed when the car told me to.

When the 2 years were up the next time I brought my car in for an oil change, suddenly the dealer reverted back to the "you need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months" line.

I hope the lesson I learned that day can help others on this forum. You do not need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months. Most modern cars now have an oil life indicator. There is no need to get your oil changed until the indicator goes off.

I get synthetic oil put in my car so I can go longer without oil changes. I usually go well over a year before I get my oil changed now. Furthermore, I get my tires rotated at the same time they change my oil (at a local garage I trust, no longer at the dealer). The total price is around 80 bucks. This and the major maintenance at 30k is the only thing I do on all my family cars now.

Short term thinking on the dealer's part. They taught me a good lesson and, while I did pay for it, in the long run they wound up saving me tremendously more money at their expense by educating me on not taking their "recommendations" at face value and what actually is and is not necessary.
Oil will go bad with age. I always change it yearly on my low mileage vehicles. Engine coolant and brake fluid are also fluids that will go bad over time.

Random Poster
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Random Poster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:18 am

Just had the oil changed on my 2009 Honda CR-V today.

Cost $39.95 for the oil and filter change and the installation of a new washer.

[The invoice states that it took 5 quarts of genuine Honda 5W20 oil --- (ETA: which seems high, given that the oil capacity of the CR-V is only 4.4 quarts or so, but I suspect it is just a round number used on the invoice)]

barnaclebob
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:32 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:I live in Massachusetts, and I've had our cars serviced by a local gas station/repair shop. But, the cost of a recent oil change took me by surprise. The total was $96, as follows (numbers rounded):

Filter - $10
Oil - 60
Coolant - 5
labor - 21
Tax - 4
(Discount) - 5

Is this a reasonable cost, or should I look elsewhere, like a Jiffy Lube?

Bonus question :) - which is better, a privately owned garage or a a Jiffy Lube?
The coolant is definitely a ripoff as it shouldn't need to be topped off very much and you can do that yourself, its the same as refilling your wiper fluid for most cars. Some cars may not just take 50/50 mix so you may need to buy a jug from the dealer if thats the case. I DIY for around $35 to $40 for synthetic but would expect to pay around $30-$35 for conventional and double that for synthetic from a shop.

runner3081
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 am

This is hard to gauge, as others have mentioned, without knowing the vehicle involved.

On my current Infiniti, I pay either 19.99 or 24.95 for an oil change.

Previous BMW's I have owned would cost between $85 and $125, which is also the same price for my wife's older Mercedes SUV.

Da5id
Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Da5id » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 am

I've been using Jiffy Lube, which is about $25 with a $12 coupon they always send me.

I try not to laugh when Jiffy Lube guy attempts to upsell me things at outrageous prices, and usually succeed. Note that changing your engine/cabin air filters in most car models takes about 5 minutes for a mechanically incompetent/non-handy person (me). Watch the youtube video for your specific model, change the filter in the engine/behind glove compartment, done. I don't want to deal with oil and disposing it, or I'd probably change that myself too.

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 4740
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by prudent » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

User avatar
Groundhog
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Groundhog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:36 am

$0 - Free oil changes for life @ Subaru dealer.

CLine
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:47 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by CLine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:40 am

I bring my cars to my long-term mechanic for oil changes. Even though I pay a couple of dollars more than the cheaper alternatives, I know he appreciates the regular business and always checks the cars over thoroughly for other issues. Over the years this proactive approach has saved me far more money (not to mention avoiding breakdowns) than I would have saved on cheap oil changes elsewhere.

User avatar
hand
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by hand » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 am

klw084 wrote:I have an interesting story regarding this topic.

When I purchased my last car, a 2013 Honda Accord, there was an offer for bulk oil changes for 2 years. If you purchased it and, as the salesman said, get your oil changed every 3-4 months, it's a great deal for the 2 years the offer is in effect. Since I normally changed my oil when the dealer told me to, I agreed it was a good deal and so I purchased this option.

After three months, the first time I tried to change my oil and called the service department to schedule maintenance, the response I got was, what does your oil indicator say? I guess more modern cars now have an oil indicator that tells you the percentage of oil life you have left and their recommendation was to not get the oil changed until there was around 15% oil life left. So they refused to service my car.

This was news to me and I realized that I had been somewhat hoodwinked when I purchased the 2 year oil change option. So, I got my car oil changed when the car told me to.

When the 2 years were up the next time I brought my car in for an oil change, suddenly the dealer reverted back to the "you need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months" line.

I hope the lesson I learned that day can help others on this forum. You do not need to get your oil changed every 3-4 months. Most modern cars now have an oil life indicator. There is no need to get your oil changed until the indicator goes off.

I get synthetic oil put in my car so I can go longer without oil changes. I usually go well over a year before I get my oil changed now. Furthermore, I get my tires rotated at the same time they change my oil (at a local garage I trust, no longer at the dealer). The total price is around 80 bucks. This and the major maintenance at 30k is the only thing I do on all my family cars now.

Short term thinking on the dealer's part. They taught me a good lesson and, while I did pay for it, in the long run they wound up saving me tremendously more money at their expense by educating me on not taking their "recommendations" at face value and what actually is and is not necessary.
Clearly the dealer is inconsistent with their advice depending on whether they are paying for the service or profiting from the service, be careful what you conclude based on the self interested advice of the dealer! If are were willing to lie to you regarding the need for 3-4 month oil changes irrespective of mileage when they're profiting, doesn't it also seem possible that they are willing to lie about the safety of extended oil changes based on the oil life monitor when they're paying?

Things that I'd be concerned about:
1) Whether proper oil that is "assumed" by oil life monitor was actually used in the vehicle - worse oil may result in less life than the monitor expects (substituting in cheaper oil is a somewhat common scam at oil change places)
2) Whether oil life monitor is optimized for long life of vehicle or to minimize operational costs to 100.000 miles (cost to $100k is a common rating / buying metric)
3) Whether oil filter uses meets oil life monitor expectations - again OEM spec is not always followed by oil change place.

For most practical purposes, oil life monitor recommendation is likely fine to follow, but may not be appropriate for those looking to keep a car for an extended period of time, or those who can't be sure properly specced oil & filters are always used in the car.

I'd hate to see you or others arbitrarily fixate on one of a lying dealer's stories with unintended consequences.

That being said, your big picture point is almost certainty correct - oil changes are over recommended by service writers.

michaeljc70
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 am

I go to Jiffy Lube and always use a coupon. It runs around $65 before the coupon as my car uses synthetic oil.

Edit: This thread reminded me I was past due. I just got a Groupon using a coupon code for $39. That is a good deal for synthetic.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denovo
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by denovo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 am

jbuzolich wrote:That seems really high to me but would also depend on the type of vehicle and how much oil is needed.
+1.

It sounds like OP got ripped off, but can't say for sure unless we know the car, a 2.0L engine car needs much less oil then one with 5.0L.

bigred77
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by bigred77 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 am

When I had a Toyota I took it to the dealership and a new filter, oil change, and tire rotation was always a touch under $40 bucks.

Now my BMW is always 100 bucks at an independent mechanic. Once a year oil changes.

denovo
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by denovo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:57 am

BogleMelon wrote:I always look for the $19.99 offer. A friend of mine found a $9.99 offer couple of days ago!
I'd be weary of these types of offers. I'd assume many or most times, these offers are for conventional oil, and synthetic is the way to go. More importantly, at these prices, the mechanic is doing the work at a loss to get people to the door. Once you're there, many of these mechanics are likely to recommend unnecessary services to make up their losses on the oil change. It's like taking bait from a mouse trap. I do my oil changes at my trusted independent mechanic because an oil change is an opportune time for him to check the fluids and check to make sure the car is not having any problems (check axle, brake pads, hoses, leaks etc).

btenny
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 pm

I think that is a little high. I just paid $70 for a full oil change in my Lincoln at the dealer including a new oil filter and tire rotation and brake inspection and full car wash. The car uses 6 quarts of 50/50 synthetic blend oil. They also noted I had a weeping front CV joint. They said it was OK for now but told me to watch it. They said the brakes are fine at 80K miles.

And no I would not go to the local Jiffy lube place. Some are probably great and I have used them when forced to. But most are staffed by young kids that make mistakes and are just not that experienced. IMO that is a great way to have the oil plug goofed up or the wrong oil put in your car or some other bad result. Plus most newer cars use varying kinds of high performance oil and specail filter and need to be checked for leaks and so forth by experienced mechanics. So I suggest you get your oil changed somewhere that is OK versus you car warranty.

Good Luck.

livelifealittle
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by livelifealittle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:12 pm

We also have Fumoto valve installed in our Outback. DH changes the oil. We got the oil from Walmart when there are rebate so about $15 for 5 quartz synthetic Mobil1 0W-20.

I got $250 voucher when buying the car so I stocked up on air and oil filters. I changed the air filter (youtube the process) while hubby changed the oil.

inbox788
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Random Poster wrote:Just had the oil changed on my 2009 Honda CR-V today.

Cost $39.95 for the oil and filter change and the installation of a new washer.

[The invoice states that it took 5 quarts of genuine Honda 5W20 oil --- (ETA: which seems high, given that the oil capacity of the CR-V is only 4.4 quarts or so, but I suspect it is just a round number used on the invoice)]
Close enough. You could ask them for a container with 0.6 quarts to go if you want to press the issue. LOL.

I put almost 5 quarts in my 2010 CRV, which should be same engine, but maybe because I let the oil drain out a long time.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... er=1671784

Strangely, I couple of times I got a CEL when I let the oil change interval get a little too long or the oil is a little low (at the low indicator on the dipstick). Once I change the oil, it goes away. Another reason to make sure the oil isn't too low.

Doug E. Dee
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Doug E. Dee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Stupendous wrote:I do it myself so whatever the cost of Mobil 1 is at Walmart and a good oil filter from wherever. I installed a fumoto valve on my truck and car so it's easy. Paid $85 for 10 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for my truck.
I noticed last week at the local Walmart that they now carry the new Mobil 1 filters for $10. I had been buying them on Amazon before.

Random Poster
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Random Poster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:29 pm

inbox788 wrote:Strangely, I couple of times I got a CEL when I let the oil change interval get a little too long or the oil is a little low (at the low indicator on the dipstick). Once I change the oil, it goes away. Another reason to make sure the oil isn't too low.
Indeed...plus, as I recall, certain parts of the timing chain run off of oil pressure, which is, in part, determined by the oil level. If the oil pressure is low, the timing chain can become problematic. All the more reason to regularly check the oil level and keep clean oil in the engine (I change mine when the maintenance minder hits 30% or at the one year mark, whichever comes first---that might be slightly excessive, but I've never heard my car complain about it).

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Leif » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Zero.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

VaR
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by VaR » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:06 pm

+1 for supporting your local mechanic assuming you can find a good one. It's a long term investment that will pay off when you need him or her.

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by squirm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 pm

snowman wrote:I do it myself, here are my costs:

Synthetic Mobil 1 oil 5q jug - on sale at Walmart for $23, minus $12 rebate from Mobil 1, equals $11.
High quality oil filter - $4 on sale (Amazon or RockAuto).
Total - $15.

I do it whenever it fits my schedule, it's quick, easy, done right.

Now if you cannot (or don't want to) do it yourself, you can still get better deal than the one you posted. They most definitely overcharged you on oil - $60 is insane if you could get it for $11 yourself. I suspect your car uses 0W-20, which is synthetic, and the shop marks it up 300%.

You can either find good local mechanic and bring oil and filter to them, so all you do is settle on labor rate. That way you know exactly what your cost of oil change is going to be every time.

Or, alternatively, you can go to local dealership, they generally tend to run coupons for $29.99 or less, even for 0W-20 oil. Their business model is to up sell you while there, so just make sure you say no to those efforts.

I would never go to Jiffy Lube etc. Fortunately, there is no reason to anymore.
Same here, but didn't know about the rebates, thank you.
For me it's more convenient to just do it myself on my schedule than have to wait around some lube joint for hours. Which reminds me my car is flashing -500 for an oil change.

Small Law Survivor
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:15 pm

You really need to give us a frame of reference. How many quarts of oil and was it conventional or synthetic?
I edited initial post to provide this -

Volvo XC70. Synthetic oil - quantity not on invoice, but manual says 5.8 quarts (call it 6 qts)

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by knpstr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:19 pm

$25 local shop
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

snowman
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by snowman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

squirm wrote:
snowman wrote:I do it myself, here are my costs:

Synthetic Mobil 1 oil 5q jug - on sale at Walmart for $23, minus $12 rebate from Mobil 1, equals $11.
High quality oil filter - $4 on sale (Amazon or RockAuto).
Total - $15.

I do it whenever it fits my schedule, it's quick, easy, done right.

Now if you cannot (or don't want to) do it yourself, you can still get better deal than the one you posted. They most definitely overcharged you on oil - $60 is insane if you could get it for $11 yourself. I suspect your car uses 0W-20, which is synthetic, and the shop marks it up 300%.

You can either find good local mechanic and bring oil and filter to them, so all you do is settle on labor rate. That way you know exactly what your cost of oil change is going to be every time.

Or, alternatively, you can go to local dealership, they generally tend to run coupons for $29.99 or less, even for 0W-20 oil. Their business model is to up sell you while there, so just make sure you say no to those efforts.

I would never go to Jiffy Lube etc. Fortunately, there is no reason to anymore.
Same here, but didn't know about the rebates, thank you.
For me it's more convenient to just do it myself on my schedule than have to wait around some lube joint for hours. Which reminds me my car is flashing -500 for an oil change.
Np. I didn't know about them until about 4 years ago. They run like clockwork, same time every year - spring and fall. Each time you are limited to 2 rebates, so 4 jugs per year at $11 after rebates. Since the promo runs for 3 months at a time, I only buy when on sale at WM (which also runs like clockwork). It's also easy to upload receipt and fill out form on Mobil website. You do it once, then your browser with a single click fills out all info in the future. It's almost too easy...

fittan
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by fittan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:36 pm

hijacking this thread a bit...

I have an advice to give. If you have your oil change at local shop or dealer, make sure you take a visual or picture of your oil filter. I have had experience at Monroe or Meineke where they "forgot" to change filter. That's an easy $10 profit for them. If possible, use a sharpie to mark the filter. For cars with filters that are underneath, you can simply insert iphone under plastic cover to take a picture.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11910
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Toons » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Use the Honda Dealership.
They have coupons quite frequently.
CRV. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Atgard
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Atgard » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Atgard wrote:Totally depends on the type of car. Some use synthetic oil, some use more than 5 quarts, some these days even have dry-sump oil systems that take 11 quartz of synthetic oil and have more labor involved. So they can range from $20 (normal) to $80 (synthetic) to $250 (dry sump).
Besides Porsche, I'd be curious what other street cars use a dry sump.
Several recent models of Corvettes (Z51, Grand Sport, Z06) use a dry sump oil system.

Swansea
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 am

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by Swansea » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:41 pm

More difficult to discern, but if you ask for synthetic, be sure that is what you get.
I had a trusted independent mechanic I used for years. I told him I needed synthetic for my turbo charged car. Invoice read synthetic and price was consistent with synthetic. . I asked him for the specific brand and weight in case I needed to add oil, and he said he used a synthetic blend..
That relationship has been terminated.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 pm

I would change oil myself if possible. Or I will buy specific oil from Walmart and pay mechanics to change for me. Material cost $30 plus $15 labor. Sometimes dealer has speaical I would just use them

Post Reply