Mouse In Apartment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyCyn0217

Mouse In Apartment

Post by LadyCyn0217 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 am

[Moved into a stand-alone post --admin LadyGeek]

I live in an apartment I also am a spotless housekeeper! Why do nice keep coming into my apartment? Every morning I'm cleaning mouse droppings around my sink, in my silverware drawer, and on the floor around my refrigerator. This morning totally freaked me out I was making my bed and found 2 mouse turds. I used the d-con blocks over the winter and I thought they were gone. What can I do it may sound silly but I'm terrified of mice like I said I'm a fanatic about cleanliness basically you could eat on my floors why are they coming back here there isn't anything for them? HELP PLEASE!

adamthesmythe

Re: Mouse In Apartment

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Strange, usually mice appear in the fall when it gets too chilly outdoors.

There are two easy solutions: (1) acquire a cat or (2) use several of the old-fashioned mouse traps. The evil ones with springs.

They MAY be appearing because your neighbor has a cat.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Mon May 29, 2017 1:31 pm

In addition to getting rid of the current mice, you need to determine if you have any pipes without insulation or other openings that allow the mice to enter your apartment. Look under your kitchen sink (since mice in kitchen) and see if the pipes have been sealed by the opening into your apartment.

Use spring-loaded traps baited with peanut butter and just bag and dispose of the entire trap and mouse when you catch one. Traps are inexpensive and easy to dispose of in sealed plastic bag.

Until you determine the entry point(s) you may continue to have to trap them.
Last edited by EagertoLearnMore on Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Agreed - you must find out how they get in. Since you are in an Apt - the landlord should cover having an exterminator come out and access the apt.

Seal all openings first - then set some traps. But an exterminator will have better experience at judging what an opening is - when I hired one he showed me stuff I didn't even know about. It is really the external part of the building that allows them in - and being an apt owner you do not have control over that.

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Peanut butter can be great bait. When I purchased my house in 2003, I caught three mice. No problem since.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Another possibility is some of your neighbors are pigs (excuse me, that's an insult to pigs) and the mice are coming from their apartment. I would talk to the landlord, as it's his or her responsibility. The landlord may know which apartment these are originating from. Whether the landlord cares enough to fix this, who knows. If not, in that situation moving is probably your only option.

Joking aside, having an indoor cat is a solution. I had a mouse or two show up every six months. I live in a rural area and mice are just here. There was one mouse episode after I got the cat, but none in the several years since. I did not let the cat eat the mouse, as my neighbor puts out poison for mice and the cat could die of secondary poisoning.

ztn

Post by ztn » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Username checks out.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:16 pm

We have a previous thread with many great suggestions for catching mice Getting rid of mice

You might try what they did across the pond at Ten Downing Street, where the Prime Minister of England lives. They had such a mouse problem they went to the local pet shelter and adopted the biggest meanest street-wise ole tom cat they could find, one who had been living in the gutters of London catching his own food, one with "high chase-drive and hunting instinct." Downing Street named him Larry.

Larry is now the Chief Mouser of Ten Downing Street, although over the years there have been many calls from government officials and concerned tax-paying citizens that Larry spends more time sleeping than catching :annoyed and spends more time with a lady cat named Maisie :wink:

Within a month of his arrival at Downing Street, anonymous sources described Larry as having "a distinct lack of killer instinct." Larry made his first kill – a mouse – on 22 April 2011. Later that year was revealed that Larry was spending more time sleeping than hunting for mice, and spending time in the company of a female cat, Maisie. At one point in 2011, mice were so endemic in Downing Street that the Prime Minister resorted to throwing a fork at a mouse during a Cabinet dinner. On 28 August 2012 Larry made his first killing of a mouse in public, dropping the creature on the lawn in front of Number 10.

In 2012, Larry was reported to have been sacked and replaced by George Osborne's cat Freya. Larry shared the role of Chief Mouser with Freya until her departure from Downing Street in 2014.

In October 2013, Larry caught four mice in two weeks and one staff member had rescued a mouse from Larry's clutches.

In July 2015, George Osborne and Cabinet Office Minister Matthew Hancock cornered a mouse in the Chancellor of the Exchequer's office, trapping it in a brown paper sandwich bag. The press joked that the Chancellor of the Exchequer might take over the Chief Mouser position.

David Cameron explained during his final Prime Minister's Questions in 2016 that Larry is a civil servant and not personal property, so would not leave Downing Street after a change of premier. The Labour Party has confirmed that in the event a Labour government, Larry would remain as Chief Mouser.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_(cat)

www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/apr/24/larry-no10-cat-catches-first-mouse-finally

junior

Post by junior » Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Don't get a cat unless you want one for companionship.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon May 29, 2017 8:12 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:Strange, usually mice appear in the fall when it gets too chilly outdoors.

There are two easy solutions: (1) acquire a cat or (2) use several of the old-fashioned mouse traps. The evil ones with springs.

They MAY be appearing because your neighbor has a cat.

Yeah but then you are living with a cat and have another problem :) As other people have mentioned, you really need to seal the building before you start trapping or you might end up dealing with a ton of mice. In most areas I am familiar with landlords are required to take action if you report it. If you have relations with your neighbors, you might ask if they have noticed anything.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon May 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Tell your landlord, too. Ask them for ideas.

I like that these turds caused you to register today and start a thread. Welcome.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Bogleheads!

+1 Landlord needs to seal up the cracks and holes.

+1 You can foster a cat with a rescue or shelter, this means giving it a temporary home until adoption. Ask for a mouser, active cat! During this time of year, shelters are at maximum capacity and you can save a cat's life just by fostering it :)

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Get a cat that will get the mice. We have one barn cat that does that, the other two are too lazy.

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Get a cat! I have owned my own cats for more than 15 years now and I have never seen a single mouse in my home. Ever. And I am a terrible housekeeper…Single male, better things to do, etc.. I have seen mice around the apartments I’ve lived in, in the neighborhood, but never in my home. They just don’t come around here, and my cats aren’t what you would call “mousers”.

Be careful though. If you get a cat to get rid of mice, that will happen, but there will be consequences. You’ll see what awesome animals they are and fall in love. Then, you’ll be a cat person. It will be the best thing that ever happens to you, but you’ll have to keep it under wraps. “Normal” people just won’t understand.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Mon May 29, 2017 11:42 pm

I lived in some apartment buildings with mice. They get in from the outside for food/warmth, and will wander whatever apartment they can get into.

Often they will come in from gaps around the pipes/insulation coming into the apartment. For example, behind the fringe or under the stove there might be a small cutout where the water line or gas comes in, where there is a 1/2 gap they can squeeze into... professionals know how to spot these openings pretty well.

The solution is to seal off everything (e.g., stuff the gaps with caulking or steel wool), and set some traps to get rid of anything that might still be in the home.

Killing off a mouse is fine... but more will take their place and get into the building just as easily as the first one did. Hence why sealing off the apartment is really the best solution.

As for cats hunting mice... I would suggest leaving that for movies or cartoons. It can be a crapshoot on whether or not they will hunt, and the pheremones they give off have been known to actually attract more mice in some circumstances. Not to mention that you may simply be stuck with a different animal dirtying things up and tracking litter around the apartment (unless you enjoy the companionship, of course).

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 am

Another vote for getting a cat -- but, given my ID and avatar, that's probably not a surprise.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:12 am

Unless you're not keeping your unit reasonably clean and thereby creating an appealing environment for the mice, this sounds like something your landlord should be addressing.

Relevant reading here, and there may be something in your lease about pests, as well:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/responsibl ... 72318.html

If attempts to get your landlord to take responsibility for maintaining their building are ignored, you may want to consider filing a complaint with your local health authority.

But don't simply get a cat unless you want one as a pet anyways.

cjcerny

Post by cjcerny » Tue May 30, 2017 6:29 am

Any kind of trap with a dab of peanut butter on it will reel in them meeces. Capture or kill enough of them and they will likely not return.

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 am

I live in a town home and same as you I am very clean spotless, however it doesn't matter. I had a mice problem and was setting traps 2-3 times a week and trapping at least 5-6 mice. It would taper off where I thought YES their gone but NO they were back. I searched everywhere for wholes and places where they might be getting in and I could not find anything. I finally called an exterminator, the minute he walk in I mentioned only in the kitchen is where I'm seeing and trapping them. He immediately moved my stove and sure enough they were coming from a whole where the gas line from the stove was connected,, when my town home was built contractors did not seal the gap around the gas line. So he said to have someone come out and seal it out and you shouldn't see anymore more mice. He was right, I have seen a mouse in the house since.

The exterminator did say they are in the walls, my unit has 6 residences. He said the mice travel trough the gas lines and can be in the other units as well. But it has been over a year and no mice dropping. Fingers crossed.

Good Luck!

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Tue May 30, 2017 7:11 am

+1 on the cat fostering. We had some mice move in about 18 months ago. Borrowed a friend's cat and 2 days later they were all taken care of and never seen again.

The only downside was the cat gave a dead one to our 2 year old son who thought it was the best toy/gift ever!

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:13 pm

davidkw wrote:Peanut butter can be great bait. When I purchased my house in 2003, I caught three mice. No problem since.

I catch squirrels all the time with peanut butter. They can't resist it. I caught 3 in the past two weeks by putting a small glob in a spring-loaded trap. I relocate them several miles away, on my way to work. I say go with the old-fashioned snap trap and some peanut butter.

objectivefunction

Post by objectivefunction » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:56 am

Geneyus wrote:I say go with the old-fashioned snap trap and some peanut butter.

The only thing about old-fashioned snap traps is that sometimes they don't fully do the job. Then you might be stuck with an injured mouse that needs to be killed, which can be a problem if you're squeamish.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am

As unpleasant as a snap trap is, I'd strongly recommend you do not use poison. They eat it then climb into a wall and die leaving you with a bad smell for several weeks.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm

fiverus wrote:The exterminator did say they are in the walls, my unit has 6 residences. He said the mice travel trough the gas lines and can be in the other units as well. But it has been over a year and no mice dropping. Fingers crossed.

Good Luck!

Mice travel through the gas lines? How is that? If so, there's major gas leaks...unless he meant they travel on top of the lines.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

I did the poison route with roof rats in our attic many years ago. Those rats are fugly. Yes, they died in the attic. I went up and eventually found one. Found the other dried up carcass when I blew insulation.

Our barn cat likes to bring the mice into the garage and then play hockey with them.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Use snap traps with peanut butter.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:12 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:As unpleasant as a snap trap is, I'd strongly recommend you do not use poison. They eat it then climb into a wall and die leaving you with a bad smell for several weeks.

Dead rats don't smell for several weeks. I'd give them about a week to be consumed. I just came across a dead rat in my attic while repairing my AC this morning. It had been consumed by flies already. I knew something was up because in a relatively well-sealed house we had blow flies which we only get with dead rats. Anyways, the only thing left was fur, skeleton, and some pupae casings.

Oh I'm pretty sure this rat ate poison and died.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:37 pm

If you don't want to deal with the grossness (and potential for incomplete kills, etc.) of old-fashioned snap traps, consider getting an electronic trap. I've had success with this one: http://www.victorpest.com/victor-electr ... ap-bm2524s

More expensive, but you can use the same one over and over again. A light blinks when a mouse has been zapped, then you just turn it off, open the lid, and flip the trap over to dump the ex-mouse into the trash. Close it up, put it back in its spot, turn it back on, and it's ready to go again. (The mouse doesn't get a chance to eat the peanut butter, so you don't even have to re-bait between kills.)

There are mechanical "no see-um" traps, but I've had problems with them not being sensitive enough to go off, which makes them basically mouse feeders.

As already mentioned though, traps are just a band-aid. If you have a real mouse issue, "exclusion" is the key. A mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime (and it is a hilarious sight to see!)
Stay on target...

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Search YouTube for "ultimate mouse trap". You'll find many variants on this 5-gal bucket theme. Assuming you have many mice, it traps them as fast as they enter, and is immediately ready for the next. It's your choice to fill the bottom of the bucket with water, or antifreeze (vacant vacation home), or not.

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=ultimate+mouse+trap

Welcome.

P.S. We also give advice on personal investing.

P.P.S. I didn't know mice liked sharing our beds for warmth. Wonder what the mice conversion factor is to equate to a "3-dog night?" :)
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Before we adopted a loving cat (not for mouse reasons), we used an electric zapping trap. It worked quite well and came with its own bait, large food pellets. Humane.

Current house has no mice. We see them in the backyard, but they wouldn't stand a chance now. :happy
Did anyone else play Acquire as a child?

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:51 pm

by livesoft » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:12 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
As unpleasant as a snap trap is, I'd strongly recommend you do not use poison. They eat it then climb into a wall and die leaving you with a bad smell for several weeks.

Dead rats don't smell for several weeks. I'd give them about a week to be consumed. I just came across a dead rat in my attic while repairing my AC this morning. It had been consumed by flies already. I knew something was up because in a relatively well-sealed house we had blow flies which we only get with dead rats. Anyways, the only thing left was fur, skeleton, and some pupae casings.

Oh I'm pretty sure this rat ate poison and died.

Attics are one thing. Get one in your walls and those blow flies can't get to it.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:59 pm

We had one in our house, still no idea how it got in. Cat chased it behind the fridge one night otherwise it could've been awhile before we knew it was in the house. Snap trap w/ peanut butter worked the same day.

IMO the glue traps or anything else that tortures the things are pretty sick and should be illegal. Killing them is one thing, letting them suffer for an extended amount of time is another.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:As unpleasant as a snap trap is, I'd strongly recommend you do not use poison. They eat it then climb into a wall and die leaving you with a bad smell for several weeks.

There is also secondary poisoning. You could kill off neighborhood cats, hawks, owls, etc.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I am cat lover but beware, they like to bring in live mice and let them go. Drives me crazy. It could be because I have 2 cats and they show off for each other. This is the only reason for ouroyse problem!

If uncaught, the mice tend to retreat to a closet, and eventually die.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 am

LadyCyn0217 wrote:[Moved into a stand-alone post --admin LadyGeek]

I live in an apartment I also am a spotless housekeeper! Why do nice keep coming into my apartment? Every morning I'm cleaning mouse droppings around my sink, in my silverware drawer, and on the floor around my refrigerator. This morning totally freaked me out I was making my bed and found 2 mouse turds. I used the d-con blocks over the winter and I thought they were gone. What can I do it may sound silly but I'm terrified of mice like I said I'm a fanatic about cleanliness basically you could eat on my floors why are they coming back here there isn't anything for them? HELP PLEASE!

Do NOT use poison for any animal kill. They'll die in your walls or worse yet they'll be eaten by some other animal and you'll kill it as well.

I had a problem last summer. 4 gone in a 2 days and no problems since.

Get these. Snap-E Mouse Trap. Super easy to set and rid the trap of the mouse. Nice little area for bait surrounded by the trip plate. Not one tripped trap with out a mouse in it. $12 for 6 traps. Look for the holes under sink and seal them with steel wool.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 am

Geneyus wrote:
davidkw wrote:Peanut butter can be great bait. When I purchased my house in 2003, I caught three mice. No problem since.

I catch squirrels all the time with peanut butter. They can't resist it. I caught 3 in the past two weeks by putting a small glob in a spring-loaded trap. I relocate them several miles away, on my way to work. I say go with the old-fashioned snap trap and some peanut butter.

I wish I could get the squirrels in my traps. A dozen or so Chipmunks and 1 skunk fell for the PB

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 am

When you seal up all gaps you may not have mice in your home, but they are still in the walls! That is a creepy thought to me.

I know I have rats in the attic (not sure if all were caught last year when the exterminator was patching holes in the roof). That is creepy/disgusting to me. but at least there are no more squirrels.. those rodents are LOUD up there.

LadyCyn0217

Post by LadyCyn0217 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. For those of you that had concerns of my getting a cat just as a mouse I love animals and I would never get any animal unless I was willing to give it a forever loving home so hope you will all be able to sleep now with that being said. I took pictures of the mouse droppings took my phone to the office mgr. She had pest control out the next morning they were very thorough and informed of things I did not know. So again thank you it was May 29 when I posted went to the office the following day May 30 pest control out the next day and I have not seen any droppings in over a week and it was a daily occurrence. They treated the entire building each apartment the entire building inside and out.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Congrats and hope they don't come back!

Also, isn't it nice to speak up and get things taken care of. I think a lot of people feel uneasy talking to their landlords about problems and issues. I'm definitely in the same boat, but after a win like what you just had, I'm one more likely to hit my boiling point and speak up to them. You are proof that it pays. An exterminator are not too cheap.

LadyCyn0217

Post by LadyCyn0217 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 am

I was not going to sit back and complain about the problem and do nothing to get the ball rolling to get the mouse problem taken care of. It seems to me people that don't speak up when there is a problem where they live there may be a reason why they don't want anyone in their apartment. I'm just sayin.........